Author Topic: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees  (Read 19764 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2013, 11:04:41 PM »
stopping people from having kids while taking tax payers money, LACKS LOGIC???

LMFAO how so?

you dont necissarily have to give them food but limiting what they can buy on those cards is a start. You should be limited to a small number of cheap and healthy choices, CHEAP BEING THE KEY.

If you want to actually give food, they businesses can be reimbursed for the food they give to these individuals...no extra employees needed.

Again not to pick on you prime, you really seem to lack a general sense of how a business works from the inside.

Not to be insulting to you, because I suspect you mean well, but it is a waste of my time to reply to you at this point. I suggest you read what you posted here tomorrow and think about it some....then we can discuss this some more.

I don't purport to have all the answers and neither should you.

How about you take some time to develop a detailed business model for how you plan to give people who qualify certain food products with no additional manpower instead of just posting off the top of your head. And I am not picking on you either.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
Not to be insulting to you, because I suspect you mean well, but it is a waste of my time to reply to you at this point. I suggest you read what you posted here tomorrow and think about it some....then we can discuss this some more.

I don't purport to have all the answers and neither should you.

How about you take some time to develop a detailed business model for how you plan to give people who qualify certain food products with no additional manpower instead of just posting off the top of your head. And I am not picking on you either
hahaha your double standards and lack of business sense arent going to make any more sense in the morning but sure.

I dont pretend to have all the answers, but I do know how a business works.

If I were you I would google Income statement and develop a working knowledge of it as a basis for future discussions...also gross margin, COGS, operating expenses and net income and how they are calculated and related to one another.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
simply b/c your vying for the same customer base doesnt mean your operations, expenses and margins are similar...LMFAO

BUSINESS SENSE!!!!!

So let me see here. Company A is selling the same products at the same prices to the same customer base as company B. How is it that company B's operations, expenses are different exactly? Oh that's right, profit margins. Yeah, I guess if you want to make more profits then the next guy, you have to do it on the backs of the employees all other things being equal.

Just so you know, I worked as a home furnishings buyer for a major department store for the better part of twenty years. I was very successful in my job, which means I must have some idea about profit margins, operations and expenses.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »

Wall Mart, Fred Meyer, Target and others are all vying for the same customer base. In my neighborhood, Safeway, Albertsons and the Wallmart Neighborhood Market are all geared towards the same customers. I intentionally did not mention, Market of Choice because their customers aren't looking for the best price so much as they are the best quality and top notch customer service. However, I think most customers expect good customer service.

No they don't. You're kidding yourself here. People don't give a fuck about top notch service if they can get a product for 99c when another place is selling it for 10 bucks.

It's why Walmart is so successful.

Stop lying to yourself.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »
No they don't. You're kidding yourself here. People don't give a fuck about top notch service if they can get a product for 99c when another place is selling it for 10 bucks.

It's why Walmart is so successful.

Stop lying to yourself.

I am speaking for myself and many of the folks I hang with. This is decidedly different from lying to myself.

Let me remind you that were I live, the Walmart neighborhood store is struggling to stay open while the high end Market of Choice needs a bigger parking lot because customers have been flocking there from the day they opened their doors for business.

Some people actually care about quality too. When Walmart starts selling products I normally buy, I will take a second look to see if I can find a bargain. To be honest, in all the years that there have been Walmart big box stores in Portland, I have only gone one once, which was more out of curiosity then anything. I made no purchases because they had nothing of interest to me to buy.

I am not opposed to either big box stores or a good deal. I am a regular shopper at Costco. Their meat and wine selections are top notch. They carry the brand of dog food our dogs like. I've purchased electronics there. The last two times I bought prescription glasses, I got them at Costco. There price on Lucky Brand jeans is excellent. I don't buy home furnishings there, but then I am pretty fussy about these kinds of items.  And guess what, they have good deals which don't seem to come off the backs of their employees who are well compensated from what I've heard.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2013, 01:49:03 AM »
I am speaking for myself and many of the folks I hang with. This is decidedly different from lying to myself.

Let me remind you that were I live, the Walmart neighborhood store is struggling to stay open while the high end Market of Choice needs a bigger parking lot because customers have been flocking there from the day they opened their doors for business.

Some people actually care about quality too. When Walmart starts selling products I normally buy, I will take a second look to see if I can find a bargain. To be honest, in all the years that there have been Walmart big box stores in Portland, I have only gone one once, which was more out of curiosity then anything. I made no purchases because they had nothing of interest to me to buy.

I am not opposed to either big box stores or a good deal. I am a regular shopper at Costco. Their meat and wine selections are top notch. They carry the brand of dog food our dogs like. I've purchased electronics there. The last two times I bought prescription glasses, I got them at Costco. There price on Lucky Brand jeans is excellent. I don't buy home furnishings there, but then I am pretty fussy about these kinds of items.  And guess what, they have good deals which don't seem to come off the backs of their employees who are well compensated from what I've heard.

You said 'most customers', not you and 'many of the folks you hang with'.

I pointed out that 'most customers' aren't there for a chinwag and social time in form of good service, they're there for the best price and cheapest deal.

You don't really get economics do you?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2013, 02:13:09 AM »
You said 'most customers', not you and 'many of the folks you hang with'.

I pointed out that 'most customers' aren't there for a chinwag and social time in form of good service, they're there for the best price and cheapest deal.

You don't really get economics do you?

Hey, if cheap crap is your thing, be my guest. Not everyone feels the same way.

Sure everyone likes a good deal. I'd like a good deal on an Audi 3 wagon TDI, not a good deal on a Kia. When I go to Starbucks for a Chai Latte which I could have made at home for pennies on the dollar, I go to Starbucks because the baristas treat me like I am a king....but then, I'm a good tipper.

Based on your economics, all anyone cares about is low prices.  News flash, there is a world full of people who shop Saks and Nordstrom's. When I fly to Europe, I fly Lufthansa. They don't have the best price, they have the best service and the most passenger room.

If you like shopping Walmart, have at it. You have lots of company, some of who campout/live in Walmart parking lots. Birds of a feather, flock together, or so the saying goes.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »
Hey, if cheap crap is your thing, be my guest. Not everyone feels the same way.

Sure everyone likes a good deal. I'd like a good deal on an Audi 3 wagon TDI, not a good deal on a Kia. When I go to Starbucks for a Chai Latte which I could have made at home for pennies on the dollar, I go to Starbucks because the baristas treat me like I am a king....but then, I'm a good tipper.

Based on your economics, all anyone cares about is low prices.  News flash, there is a world full of people who shop Saks and Nordstrom's. When I fly to Europe, I fly Lufthansa. They don't have the best price, they have the best service and the most passenger room.

If you like shopping Walmart, have at it. You have lots of company, some of who campout/live in Walmart parking lots. Birds of a feather, flock together, or so the saying goes.

Interesting. When I fly for more than 4 hours I fly business. I recently flew to New Zealand from London paying just over £5000 ($8000) for my business class seat when I could've gotten it for a grand in economy. What's your point? I came back from China last week flying Virgin Upperclass. What's your point? I'm off to Australia in February flying business again. On this occasion I'll take a picture of business class just for you. Granted, I'm a single guy without kids.

I'm not 100% what you're babbling on about and how this compare to people wanting more than they're worth?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2013, 02:50:44 AM »
Interesting. When I fly for more than 4 hours I fly business. I recently flew to New Zealand from London paying just over £5000 ($8000) for my business class seat when I could've gotten it for a grand in economy. What's your point? I came back from China last week flying Virgin Upperclass. What's your point? I'm off to Australia in February flying business again. On this occasion I'll take a picture of business class just for you. Granted, I'm a single guy without kids.

I'm not 100% what you're babbling on about and how this compare to people wanting more than they're worth?

Well then, you managed to totally confuse me. On the one hand, you yak about buying cheap crap at Walmart and then you go on about spending big bucks on plane fare. Incidentally, most folks I know who fly business do so because it is a free upgrade with their frequent flyer miles or they are filthy rich.

My point is that not everyone is looking for a bargain all the time. I would fly first class or business class if I could afford it. Unfortunately, the most I can reasonably afford is to fly with an airline that offers better customer service then some others.

Years ago, on a return trip from a visit to Germany to see our son and family, we were upgraded to first class. It was great! My wife announced to me that we should always fly first class when going this distance. I suggested to her she rob a bank so as to make this possible.

Our granddaughter is getting married next year and has asked us to attend her wedding in Germany. My wife due to her health issues would certainly do much better in first class or even business class....actually a private jet would be the best. Do you have any suggestions as to how we could pull this off on the cheap?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2013, 02:55:05 AM »

I am fairly sure the average Walmart sales associate isn't concerned with the price of airfare....maybe more so how the can afford to put gas in their beater in order to get to work or even if they can afford the cost of a bus pass for a month.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
Well then, you managed to totally confuse me. On the one hand, you yak about buying cheap crap at Walmart and then you go on about spending big bucks on plane fare. Incidentally, most folks I know who fly business do so because it is a free upgrade with their frequent flyer miles or they are filthy rich.

My point is that not everyone is looking for a bargain all the time. I would fly first class or business class if I could afford it. Unfortunately, the most I can reasonably afford is to fly with an airline that offers better customer service then some others.

Years ago, on a return trip from a visit to Germany to see our son and family, we were upgraded to first class. It was great! My wife announced to me that we should always fly first class when going this distance. I suggested to her she rob a bank so as to make this possible.

Our granddaughter is getting married next year and has asked us to attend her wedding in Germany. My wife due to her health issues would certainly do much better in first class or even business class....actually a private jet would be the best. Do you have any suggestions as to how we could pull this off on the cheap?

Build a time machine, go back 50 years and get rich? I don't know. I'm single, have disposable income so it's not a massive deal to do so.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2013, 03:06:17 AM »
I am fairly sure the average Walmart sales associate isn't concerned with the price of airfare....maybe more so how the can afford to put gas in their beater in order to get to work or even if they can afford the cost of a bus pass for a month.

We're going off topic now. The sales associate could get an education and therefore realistically concern itself with airfares and the advantages of certain airlines over others.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2013, 03:09:53 AM »
Build a time machine, go back 50 years and get rich? I don't know. I'm single, have disposable income so it's not a massive deal to do so.

Thanks, but your advice isn't much help. That's okay though. I have a good life even if I can't justify spending the kind of bucks you spend on plane fare. I don't want to go back 50 years. Been there, done that if you get my drift. I live life in the moment.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2013, 03:16:03 AM »
We're going off topic now. The sales associate could get an education and therefore realistically concern itself with airfares and the advantages of certain airlines over others.

They certainly could. Of course in the U.S. education isn't free so they might have to give up eating for awhile in order to become better educated. Just saying.

Incidentally, I recently heard that it will cost folks around a million bucks to get a PHD within a couple of years. How many Walmart sales associates do you suppose will be able to achieve this?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2013, 06:00:16 AM »

"Chinwag"?  At first blush that's about as annoying as "Chopping it up".

Guess it depends on where you're from, though.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2013, 06:57:34 AM »
I was oversimplifying to make a point

If a business can operate effectively for less else where, THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT!!!!!

If you can buy the same house for $200K or $250K, which one are you going to pay?

make it cheaper for business to operate here in the US and they will do it

Which works fine if you want lifestyles in the US to emulate those in China.

If all jobs move to China,  the companies moving there lose their US sales because no-one in the US can afford to consume their products any more, on account of them being unemployed.

So prices drop, salaries and living standards drop until US employees cost less than Chinese employees. Then the companies will move back (well, actually they will no longer exist).

Simple economics. For sure - one company moving away for lower costs works fine. When everyone does it - you end up with the ghost towns the US has right now.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2013, 07:05:45 AM »
Absolutely. If they dont want to accept the $2 then relocate, get mored education , etc....   No company is obligated to take care of an employee. There is no loyalty in either direction. To think that there truly is, is naive. 

In the US, what sort of education can you get if you currently earn $2 an hour? None, right? If you are broke, how do you get the funds to relocate? 

Getting into debt with banks to give a ludicrous sum of money to a educational establishment so you can get a paper that says you are smart? Fuck that nonsense.

Why is it that people look down on others that have no education or are not academically talented? What is wrong with a hard working family man who is honest and caring but short in school smarts earning a decent wage with his hands?

Isn't America built on the work of people like that? Now they are 'not qualified'?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »
The bastards. Man that pisses me off.

Do you know what I'll do if that were me working at Walmart? Wait for it, this is incredible ....;

I'll quit and go elsewhere.

Do you know what I'll do if there weren't any jobs where I live. I'll move. I don't expect to have everything around me, set up for me so I can live where I want.

You people want stuff too easy.

This is so easy to say when it isn't you. I presume also you don't have a family and kids in school.

If you were on $8.88 an hour - what would you expect your savings to be? How would you be able to afford to move? How would you make rental deposit on a new place?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »
So let me see here. Company A is selling the same products at the same prices to the same customer base as company B. How is it that company B's operations, expenses are different exactly? Oh that's right, profit margins. Yeah, I guess if you want to make more profits then the next guy, you have to do it on the backs of the employees all other things being equal.

Just so you know, I worked as a home furnishings buyer for a major department store for the better part of twenty years. I was very successful in my job, which means I must have some idea about profit margins, operations and expenses.
apparently not, as what you brought up makes no sense.

Simply b/c a company services the same customer doesnt mean they have the same logistics, the same agreements with suppliers/the same suppliers period, doesnt mean they have the same amount of debt or interest expense they must cover, doesnt mean they have the same terms in payments for suppliers

I could go on and on but I think you really need to learn yourself b/c it seems like you arent willing to take anything from this thread

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2013, 07:58:52 AM »
Which works fine if you want lifestyles in the US to emulate those in China.

If all jobs move to China,  the companies moving there lose their US sales because no-one in the US can afford to consume their products any more, on account of them being unemployed.

So prices drop, salaries and living standards drop until US employees cost less than Chinese employees. Then the companies will move back (well, actually they will no longer exist).

Simple economics. For sure - one company moving away for lower costs works fine. When everyone does it - you end up with the ghost towns the US has right now.
thats why we need to MAKE IT CHEAPER FOR THEM TO DO BUSINESS HERE!!!

I didnt say we need to do this by lowering wages, DID I?

how about corporate tax reform?

how about getting rid of regulations that do add extra costs for companies.

The funny thing is the liberal agenda is typically anti business although at times it is not necissarily the goal but it is the end outcome. Then these same idiots are the ones bitching when businesses take their operations over seas??

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »
In the US, what sort of education can you get if you currently earn $2 an hour? None, right? If you are broke, how do you get the funds to relocate? 

Getting into debt with banks to give a ludicrous sum of money to a educational establishment so you can get a paper that says you are smart? Fuck that nonsense.

Why is it that people look down on others that have no education or are not academically talented? What is wrong with a hard working family man who is honest and caring but short in school smarts earning a decent wage with his hands?

Isn't America built on the work of people like that? Now they are 'not qualified'?
I do look down on people without education WHO FEEL LIKE THEY DESERVE MORE. Again maybe you guys need this drilled into your liberal agenda heads...NOBODY OWES YOU SHIT!!!!

If you feel you arent getting what your worth, do something about it.

I took out loans and went to school at night while working full time. Youre damn right I look down on people who have the ability to do the same thing and dont while still bitching about not making enough money.

ITS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE

Not a damn thing wrong with making a living with your hands. I worked in construction while going to school at night for quite a while.

and this country was also built on free market principles, Low taxation and personal freedoms and responsibility.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
This is so easy to say when it isn't you. I presume also you don't have a family and kids in school.

If you were on $8.88 an hour - what would you expect your savings to be? How would you be able to afford to move? How would you make rental deposit on a new place?
What the fuck does a person making $8.88 an hour have a family and kids for?

DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS IS INCREDIBLY IRRESPONIBLE???

The dumb guy cant afford kids!!! why are you not yelling about that???

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »
thats why we need to MAKE IT CHEAPER FOR THEM TO DO BUSINESS HERE!!!

I didnt say we need to do this by lowering wages, DID I?

how about corporate tax reform?

how about getting rid of regulations that do add extra costs for companies.

The funny thing is the liberal agenda is typically anti business although at times it is not necissarily the goal but it is the end outcome. Then these same idiots are the ones bitching when businesses take their operations over seas??

Tax breaks wont make it cheaper to produce goods in the US than China.

What you need is:
$5 a day wages
No environmental regulations
Rampant corruption

Enjoy that.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »
Honestly I think this goes to the heart of the issue. Decades ago manufacturing was the crux of the US economy but now do the technology and transportation flattening the world the US has outsourced the menial and labor intensive tasks to cheaper more efficient areas of the world. As a result the US economy has become more service based with those with the forsight, ability and work ethic to see the change taking advantage of it and those who dont being relegated to the menial service jobs or the few manufacturing jobs we have left.

The issue as I see it is, many of the people refuse to change, refuse to better themselves and continue to make bad decisions which put them in the situation that spirals down.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2013, 08:18:14 AM »
I do look down on people without education WHO FEEL LIKE THEY DESERVE MORE. Again maybe you guys need this drilled into your liberal agenda heads...NOBODY OWES YOU SHIT!!!!

Just as an FYI - this Liberal runs an offshore software development company in Thailand for a multi-national company. I am still able to empathize with people in difficult situations though.

If you feel you arent getting what your worth, do something about it.

I took out loans and went to school at night while working full time. Youre damn right I look down on people who have the ability to do the same thing and dont while still bitching about not making enough money.

ITS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE

Hmmm - the way it should be? Well first of all you would not get a loan if you were earning $2 an hour but second of all there is no free market in the US education system, so you just bent over and did the schools and banks a massive favor. School fees are totally inflated there which of course prevents a lot of people from participating.

Not a damn thing wrong with making a living with your hands. I worked in construction while going to school at night for quite a while.

and this country was also built on free market principles, Low taxation and personal freedoms and responsibility.

Does the free market ensure workers are paid the value of their work or a value defined by the supply and demand of workers in a location?