Author Topic: Shawn Ray and the Case of the Flexible IFBB Rules  (Read 7356 times)

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
Shawn Ray and the Case of the Flexible IFBB Rules
« on: August 17, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »
Shawn,

Looking at an interview you gave after the 2001 Olympia (http://www.getbig.com/iview/ray050301.htm), you were pretty pissed that the IFBB didn't follow all of their own rules to the letter and that you were essentially robbed of a second place finish as a result. You were upset that Kevin was allowed to compete at the 11th hour, and that Jay's small challenge to his positive diuretic test was all it took to have drug testing thrown out the window.

Don't you think then, that the IFBB should apply all of its rules now, rather than just some of them? Obviously, I'm talking about Lee here. From your interview, it sounds to me like, if you were the IFBB rep, you would push to have all of the IFBB rules enforced, or none at all, since someone could be arbitrarily screwed (like you were), depending on how the "powers that be" want the rules interpreted on a given day.

And would you, as IFBB rep, also push to remove any ambiguity from the rules i.e., remove any "might be suspended", "could be suspended" references from the rules and have them say "will be suspended"?

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
Re: Shawn Ray and the Case of the Flexible IFBB Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 01:43:22 PM »
Shawn,

Looking at an interview you gave after the 2001 Olympia (http://www.getbig.com/iview/ray050301.htm), you were pretty pissed that the IFBB didn't follow all of their own rules to the letter and that you were essentially robbed of a second place finish as a result. You were upset that Kevin was allowed to compete at the 11th hour, and that Jay's small challenge to his positive diuretic test was all it took to have drug testing thrown out the window.

Don't you think then, that the IFBB should apply all of its rules now, rather than just some of them? Obviously, I'm talking about Lee here. From your interview, it sounds to me like, if you were the IFBB rep, you would push to have all of the IFBB rules enforced, or none at all, since someone could be arbitrarily screwed (like you were), depending on how the "powers that be" want the rules interpreted on a given day.

And would you, as IFBB rep, also push to remove any ambiguity from the rules i.e., remove any "might be suspended", "could be suspended" references from the rules and have them say "will be suspended"?

Yeah Shawn puts on a show now with the IFBB.If he wants that show sanctioned you think he will talk bad now about them.Look back at what he used to say to what he is saying now.;0

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:29:40 PM »
Your points are valid and well taken.
That being said, when I was competing and later representing the Athletes, I was not working with people who understood the needs of the athletes. I was up against, Wayne and now I am working with Jim.
I couldnt' get anything accomplished due to the powers that be, which is why it sounded more like complaining than gettig the rules changed.
Wayne has since been dismissed, I have since stopped competing.
The Athletes are the ones who didnt care, so I stopped caring.
I moved on got married, had a baby and retired.
Bob Cick stepped up and I supported him. J
Jim manion has listened intently and progress has been made, no thanks to MANY athletes who are still competing, Lee Included!
Regarding Lee, he sat on the sidelines remaing quiet for years as I pushed for simple changes: more prize money for the lower placing guys, rotation of Judges at the Olympia, enforcement of existing rules ie: (Calf Implants, Late to meetings, failure to sign contract and register on time, Unruly conduct-arrests, wife/girlfriend beating, recreational drug problems etc.)
I agree, strict Rule Enforcment, no maybe's or possibly verbage. Disorderly Conduct among Pro's in Print, Internet or otherwise.
The federation and the people in charge are in a much better position Now then they were in 2001 & 02 with Jim Manion at the helm and Bob Cick in place as the rep. However, even now, with all the Powers that be trying to work with the representation the Athletes have, there is dissention among ranks with Lee Priest leading the way.
Now that is the saddest commentary i've made in a while since Lee never cared before and now that he does, he goes about it the wrong way, accomplishing nothing.
Peace,
S. Ray

~salmon~

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:33:30 PM »
Making popcorn...

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 02:37:05 PM »
That being said, when I was competing and later representing the Athletes, I was not working with people who understood the needs of the athletes. I was up against, Wayne and now I am working with Jim.
I couldnt' get anything accomplished due to the powers that be, which is why it sounded more like complaining than gettig the rules changed.
Jim manion has listened intently and progress has been made, no thanks to MANY athletes who are still competing, Lee Included!
Regarding Lee, he sat on the sidelines remaing quiet for years as I pushed for simple changes: more prize money for the lower placing guys, rotation of Judges at the Olympia, enforcement of existing rules ie: (Calf Implants, Late to meetings, failure to sign contract and register on time, Unruly conduct-arrests, wife/girlfriend beating, recreational drug problems etc.)
I agree, strict Rule Enforcment, no maybe's or possibly verbage. Disorderly Conduct among Pro's in Print, Internet or otherwise.
The federation and the people in charge are in a much better position Now then they were in 2001 & 02 with Jim Manion at the helm and Bob Cick in place as the rep. However, even now, with all the Powers that be trying to work with the representation the Athletes have, there is dissention among ranks with Lee Priest leading the way.
Now that is the saddest commentary i've made in a while since Lee never cared before and now that he does, he goes about it the wrong way, accomplishing nothing.
Peace,
S. Ray

Shawn,
Not one gif, jpg, tif, etc and articulate as well.

WHO IS THIS REALLY?
Just Bad Bad Blood!

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 02:43:53 PM »
Peace,
S. Ray

basically you sold out.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »
Lee's response................ ........................ ........................ ..

8 INCH not biceps

• Getbig IV
  • On the road to weighing 300 pounds
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 03:12:36 PM »

So lee has calf implants.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 03:25:29 PM »
Peace,
S. Ray

I think Shawn is right about starting a family and moving on while still staying involved in the sport and remaing in a positive mode. Trust me, while I am no pro or anything big in bodybuilding , I can tell ya, the best thing to do is stay positive and not worry about some of the more negative or stressful issues in our sport.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
Peace,
S. Ray

Shawn i never sat on the sideline go back to any bible(flex mag) and see i have always voiced my opinion starting from 93 on when you were quiet.I never did care where i placed i just wanted to see it fair for all.So now go back and research i was saying things that you said years before you SHAWN. :)
Fuck they must be having your blue blazer made with gold lapells.Good on ya General Shawn fight on Mr Custer

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 04:25:04 PM »
Shawn i never sat on the sideline go back to any bible(flex mag) and see i have always voiced my opinion starting from 93 on when you were quiet.I never did care where i placed i just wanted to see it fair for all.So now go back and research i was saying things that you said years before you SHAWN. :)
f**k they must be having your blue blazer made with gold lapells.Good on ya General Shawn fight on Mr Custer

Did you beat a woman, Lee???  If you did, then you're a  fucking piece of shit for that, pal.
A

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 04:28:31 PM »

Did you beat a woman, Lee???  If you did, then you're a  fucking piece of shit for that, pal.

Lee has never hit a woman EVER!!  >:( >:(

Some accusations go way over the line!
Just Bad Bad Blood!

lastrep

• Getbig III
  • One Last Rep!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »

Dude.. relax!!! This topic DOES NOT involve you so don't throw in uselesss posts.

Miss Karen

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
Vince G,why make a statement like that Lee did you beat a woman,and then go on to call him a ..............,rumours are the stuff here.I heard you were nice guy.There is so much hate on this board it's all very Sad.Lee is a very nice guy and has respect of any who know him and Shawn is as good as they get in the sport,what they say to each other is their business.So grow up.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »
Vince G,why make a statement like that Lee did you beat a woman,and then go on to call him a ..............,rumours are the stuff here.I heard you were nice guy.There is so much hate on this board it's all very Sad.Lee is a very nice guy and has respect of any who know him and Shawn is as good as they get in the sport,what they say to each other is their business.So grow up.

I agree, the really harmful , stupid, mean rumors and gossip kill this sport for all of us. I am sure Lee and Shawn have different ideas and opinions about the IFBB and pro bodybuilding, but in my book, they place are great pros and straight shooters that I admire as a fan.
Howard

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »
Ah Lee, when you were petitioning the IFBB for a Pro Card, I was already Pro like 6 or 7 years and already stepping up for the athletes.
Go back and read the history books or better yet, ask the ring leader of PDI, he'll tell you that when you were dreaming of being a Pro, I was addressing the very issues you claim are upsetting you now.
Jump in bed with the guy who penalized you and refused to address the issues, certainly you should help you over there.
That doesn't mean I dont like you or respect your opinion but I'm sure you understand.
By the way, the penalties you got penalized for were for Breaking Rules not for obiding by them, so your claim of trying to get things changed for the betterment of the athletes kinda sounds like the Blue Blazer with Gold Lapels your on about. ::)
When I get one, you'll be the 1st person I pose for pictures with. 8)
Stay Hungry kid, you know I love ya!
Peace,
S

Stavios

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 07:23:35 PM »
 ::)

yeah right like Wayne or Manion were the one who controled everything

what about your friend Joe and his brother Benny ?   :o

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »
Ronnie wore stars and stripes posing trunks. The official rulebook clearly states only solid coloured posing trunks are allowed. Thus he should have been disqualified along with Kevin for not paying on time, and Jay for failing the diuretics test.

Technically, Shawn was the rightful winner

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »
Dude.. relax!!! This topic DOES NOT involve you so don't throw in uselesss posts.

Let me give you the definition of a question mark.....

Its a curved line with a dot in at the bottom indicating a question being asked such as.....well....Did you hit a woman, Lee Priest??

Please read the post I make more carefully in the future or learn to read.
A

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 08:40:04 PM »

Let me give you the definition of a question mark.....

Its a curved line with a dot in at the bottom indicating a question being asked such as.....well....Did you hit a woman, Lee Priest??

Please read the post I make more carefully in the future or learn to read.

Vince, please kill yourself. Thank you

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »

And where did this come from Vince?I will beat you ,you little bitch :) Is this like the Bob beating women thing.I have only beat then whebn they begged for it....which you would know nothing about Vince.Oh then again i am sure you have begged for a cock or two.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »
Ah Lee, when you were petitioning the IFBB for a Pro Card, I was already Pro like 6 or 7 years and already stepping up for the athletes.
Go back and read the history books or better yet, ask the ring leader of PDI, he'll tell you that when you were dreaming of being a Pro, I was addressing the very issues you claim are upsetting you now.
Jump in bed with the guy who penalized you and refused to address the issues, certainly you should help you over there.
That doesn't mean I dont like you or respect your opinion but I'm sure you understand.
By the way, the penalties you got penalized for were for Breaking Rules not for obiding by them, so your claim of trying to get things changed for the betterment of the athletes kinda sounds like the Blue Blazer with Gold Lapels your on about. ::)
When I get one, you'll be the 1st person I pose for pictures with. 8)
Stay Hungry kid, you know I love ya!
Peace,
S

Nah Shawn for one i never dreamed of being a pro anyone who knows me knows i liked to compete back then never to turn pro.When i came to the USA and found i could i just said ok try and see what happens.As for the athletes all getting paid at the O Wayne and i had big talks all the time.It's on tape at the Press confrence when i said they all should get money or i would give mine away.Wayne said put it in writing which i did the night before and handed it to him at the press confrence(all on tape Shawn.) He read it allowed what i wrote and agreed there to pay all the athlete 2,000 dollars.And Shawn for all your religious bullshit you spew i will save you  aseat beside me in HELL.Cuase deep down you know you will be there no matter how much forgivens you ask for.:) see ya there buddy.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 09:24:32 PM »
Lee and Shawn, in my humble opinion these rumor mill/gossip wars will do nothing more than tarnish the repuation you BOTH have earned as top pros. I sincerely have no idea of who is clowning or what, but it doesn't matter. I sincerely feel that bodybuilding should move to a 100% positive atmosphere and ignore those that want to make baseless attacks . Judging, $$$$ , drug issues , etc are all controversial aspects in this sport, but, staying positive is one thing we all can exhibit.
All the best, Howard

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 09:27:06 PM »
All the best, Howard

summer school's out? welcome back

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 09:30:05 PM »
summer school's out? welcome back

No, fall session is already started for a week now. Just hanging here for a few.