Author Topic: Can Hollywood Do a Better Job Casting Super-Heros?  (Read 13816 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Can Hollywood Do a Better Job Casting Super-Heros?
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »
I've been around movie making in Hollywood for a good long time now.

I've watched them make them, edit them, and chop most of my scenes during the editing process.

I've helped train the guys and gals who you've seen on the silver screen running like apes or hopping on horses like an ape would do if an ape had an inclination to do so.

I've even helped a few YOU know who had some serious problems with drugs and/or alcohol.

And on a couple of occasions, my hand has been shaken in gratitude by important studio executives for something I did that someone thought was important enough to say, "Thank-you!".

I've met more 'stars' than Keith ever bragged about, but to this day I have no idea who Jonesy was!

I've offered my advice on movie scripts and have participated in cold readings with unknowns who are major stars today.

I have held an Academy Award for 20 minutes or so in an effort to prevent its recipient from using it as a 'murder weapon'. (While that 'argument' was going on, I stood aside and held that Oscar and loudly practiced 'My acceptance speech' with the hopes that it would somehow seem humorous enough to nullify the situation.

Apparently it worked because we left that house shortly after with a bloodless Oscar proudly standing above a fire-place.

And a lot of my Hollywood time was spent arguing with some semi-important people who make the movies. I argue by email, in chatrooms, on the phone, at Starbucks, at celebratory functions, and in a couple of cases - in executive offices.

My argument is always the same ..... "Why the hell don't you use actors who look like the SuperHeros they are intended to portray? They should at least look somewhat similar to what the original artists originally intended!"

I've even shown them photos of athletes, fitness competitors, and bodybuilders who are built somewhat  similar to what the original artist had in mind and when they see those photos, they are impressed ...... And those photos included shots of a few GetBiggers once their permission was givem.

But apparently those photos never impressed anyone enough to follow through and give serious consideration to my advice.

Some of the fault lies with you GetBiggers who would have had a chance if you had an agent fighting on your behalf. (Arnold had such an agent when he first started and I think he has the self-same agent even today.)

Anyway, the new Superman has been cast (see photo below) and I leave it up to you to tell me if Hollywood knows what it's doing when it comes to casting Super-heros.

Or could you yourself be doing a better job!?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Can Hollywood Do a Better Job Casting Super-Heros?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »
Well, it's a multi-million dollar business, and i rather cast an actor that looks like a homo as superman than some internet-bodybuilding-board no-name that cannot act for 20 cents.

It's all politics, and it's even better to get some actor on a mild steroid cycle to get him some muscles than to cast a bodybuilder who will ruin the movie in a different way.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:20:31 PM »
I've been around movie making in Hollywood for a good long time now.

I've watched them make them, edit them, and chop most of my scenes during the editing process.

I've helped train the guys and gals who you've seen on the silver screen running like apes or hopping on horses like an ape would do if an ape had an inclination to do so.

I've even helped a few YOU know who had some serious problems with drugs and/or alcohol.

And on a couple of occasions, my hand has been shaken in gratitude by important studio executives for something I did that someone thought was important enough to say, "Thank-you!".

I've met more 'stars' than Keith ever bragged about, but to this day I have no idea who Jonesy was!

I've offered my advice on movie scripts and have participated in cold readings with unknowns who are major stars today.

I have held an Academy Award for 20 minutes or so in an effort to prevent its recipient from using it as a 'murder weapon'. (While that 'argument' was going on, I stood aside and held that Oscar and loudly practiced 'My acceptance speech' with the hopes that it would somehow seem humorous enough to nullify the situation.

Apparently it worked because we left that house shortly after with a bloodless Oscar proudly standing above a fire-place.

And a lot of my Hollywood time was spent arguing with some semi-important people who make the movies. I argue by email, in chatrooms, on the phone, at Starbucks, at celebratory functions, and in a couple of cases - in executive offices.

My argument is always the same ..... "Why the hell don't you use actors who look like the SuperHeros they are intended to portray? They should at least look somewhat similar to what the original artists originally intended!"

I've even shown them photos of athletes, fitness competitors, and bodybuilders who are built somewhat  similar to what the original artist had in mind and when they see those photos, they are impressed ...... And those photos included shots of a few GetBiggers once their permission was givem.

But apparently those photos never impressed anyone enough to follow through and give serious consideration to my advice.

Some of the fault lies with you GetBiggers who would have had a chance if you had an agent fighting on your behalf. (Arnold had such an agent when he first started and I think he has the self-same agent even today.)

Anyway, the new Superman has been cast (see photo below) and I leave it up to you to tell me if Hollywood knows what it's doing when it comes to casting Super-heros.

Or could you yourself be doing a better job!?

Bro, there is now all Jewish boy bands who are forced feed to the young girls of America as being the hottest thing. Hollywood has officially jumped the shark.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
Well, it's a multi-million dollar business, and i rather cast an actor that looks like a homo as superman than some internet-bodybuilding-board no-name that cannot act for 20 cents.

It's all politics, and it's even better to get some actor on a mild steroid cycle to get him some muscles than to cast a bodybuilder who will ruin the movie in a different way.

Spot on. Most bodybuilders have the physique, but no acting experience or even skills. No way is an unknown pro going to land a leading role in a flick like Superman. Actors like Bale can put on enough muscle to look impressive anyway.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »

I still think this episode involves Robert Evans, somehow.  ;D

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »
no homo but thats fucking Superman right there

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »
Spot on. Most bodybuilders have the physique, but no acting experience or even skills. No way is an unknown pro going to land a leading role in a flick like Superman. Actors like Bale can put on enough muscle to look impressive anyway.

Bale did it, the guy who plays Thor did it.

For the normal audience, Brad Pitt was HUGE in "Troy" and i heard quite a few people say that he was "too muscular".

Jay Cutler could play "Rhino" or Juggernaut in a Spidey flick, but not more.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
Hey stuntmo>ie, I ha>e a good friend that's been in lots of films doing stunt work and also a lot of behind the scenes fight choreography. His name is Rich Cetrone. Do you know him by any chance?

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Bale did it, the guy who plays Thor did it.

For the normal audience, Brad Pitt was HUGE in "Troy" and i heard quite a few people say that he was "too muscular".

Jay Cutler could play "Rhino" or Juggernaut in a Spidey flick, but not more.

Yep, IFBB pro-level muscle will never sell to a mainstream audience, which is the target market for blockbuster flicks. I'd like to see a guy like Arnold do action roles and play superhero, but it's not going to happen.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
Bro, there is now all Jewish boy bands who are forced feed to the young girls of America as being the hottest thing. Hollywood has officially jumped the shark.

I'm not a racist/anti semite/ conspiracy theorist by any stretch but you would be a absolute fool to think that the Jews don't run Hollywood

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
Yep, IFBB pro-level muscle will never sell to a mainstream audience, which is the target market for blockbuster flicks. I'd like to see a guy like Arnold do action roles and play superhero, but it's not going to happen.

it would as well be impossible to shoot 20 hours a day with a sweating, panting, red faced IFBB pro.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

shooting a major role in a movie would kill most BB.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
CABLE, No, I don't think I ever met Rich. The stunt business and those involved has changed immensely since I was involved while in the Corps.

A year or so ago we paid a visit to one of the stunt offices in or near Studio City. It was either Stunts Unlimited or Stuntmen's Association and there were a few stunt-guys sitting around the office when I introduced myself and asked about the old timers who were active in the 60's and the 70's.

They remembered the names but were too darn young to recall meeting any of them and had no idea if they were still around.

I've told a number of stunt stories on this board over the years if you'd care to look them up.

AND,,, the individual photos that I used in an attempt to show Hollywood what Superman or any other super-hero should look like, definitely were not IFBB Pros.

Actually those couple of photos were GetBiggers who gave permission to do so.

Ask Rich if he ever knew or ever heard about JACK TYREE .... fellow Marine and my good friend who died during the shooting of "THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER". Jack was one of the original stuntmen at the Universal Park and was one of the good Hollywood guys whom the studios called when problems arose that needed immediate attention.

Dr Chimps ... No! But I'll be glad to IM ya because you are such an all knowing movie fan. But first you have to ID the movie about the bear and her deformed cub. Name that movie and you get the sordid details. I was supposed to be in that one.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Interesting comments above. Thanks but it appears that we are in total disagreement regarding an actor that should be cast as Superman or any other super-hero.

AND ... If you're anything other than Black, or Mexican, I'd have a difficult time telling what you are.

A person's race never seemed important to me in the least. That was part of my neighborhood and military upbringing I guess.

Are there any major Jewish actors or actresses?

And can anyone name the Jewish guys who "control" the entertainment industry ... in particular .. the movie industry?

How about:

Ron Howard
Speilberg
Eastwood
Disney
Coen Bros (Jewish,  I think)

Actually I don't believe that there is any one individual or group of individuals who have any control over the motion picture making business, but I could be wrong.

If there is any control, it is most likely in the hands of the major Hollywood agencies who package-up a production (script, cast, director, producer, etc.) and offer it to any one studio to film and distribute.

Does any one race control the acting category?

Stavios

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
like DK said, bodybuilders could play none-speaking role as fellow superheros like the mutants in X-men or things like that.

like, roles that don't need acting skills

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
like DK said, bodybuilders could play none-speaking role as fellow superheros like the mutants in X-men or things like that.

like, roles that don't need acting skills

Standing around in the corner being the stupid bodyguard, for example.

Anyways, bodybuilders are really too big or too small to play most superheroes.

But, for example, Batman is fucking huge in the game "Arkham Asylum":

Stavios

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
worst "hero" movie ever: DBZ

they fucked up my childhood

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »

Congrats captain fucking obvious.

This debate is sadder than kirk vs picard, get a life or end yourself.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
worst "hero" movie ever: DBZ

they fucked up my childhood

What did you think of Last Airbender?

BTW, I hate the way Anime is drawn---too angular...with face/eyes/features not matching body

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »
Congrats captain fucking obvious.

This debate is sadder than kirk vs picard, get a life or end yourself.

Picard was cool, Kirk was to goofy, although i really liked the reboot they did.

Stavios

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »
What did you think of Last Airbender?

BTW, I hate the way Anime is drawn---too angular...with face/eyes/features not matching body

I felt asleep during the movie, AT the movie theater.

either it was boring or I was really tired, but it's tough to fall asleep at the theater  :o

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
Picard was cool, Kirk was to goofy, although i really liked the reboot they did.
Agreed.

DK II

• Getbig V

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
only 1 show has got it right....they werent huge...but the bro's, and ho's were on point!!

bench