Author Topic: Thick bar  (Read 1268 times)

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Thick bar
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:05:43 AM »
I have a home gym.

Is it useful to have also a thick bar like the Apollon's Axle :

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1271

for presses, rows,...

Thank you.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
Re: Thick bar
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 05:16:11 AM »
What do you mean thick bar? If you have the money, buy an olympic bar. It's an international standard and everybody has or sells plates of that size. Try to find a second-hand example, they're very expensive new.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:49:13 AM »
Supposedly extra thick bars are good for curling, because you have to concentrate hard on holding on it seems they help develop biceps and forearms.  Tried it once and seems like a waste of money to me.
It hasn't helped...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:21:44 AM »
The claim made of thick bars is that they'll help build the forearms. IMO it's just better to use regular grips and train forearms separately.

There's a line of thick bars made by Dave Draper. A few unique pieces; the low-row lat attachment's nice, and everything's very solid. Good site:

http://www.davedraper.com/fitness_products/category/T.html

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:45:53 AM »
Other than strongman training or for the purpose of an increased grip/forearm size, there would  not be that much value for using a extra thick bar. Doing the much overlooked reverse BB curl for building the forearms (alternate a false grip..thumbs over/under the bar) and strength serves the purpose for most BB'ers. If you want to try the feel of a thicker bar, without  buying one first, than you might consider the following. Go to a building supply store and buy a 2"-2 1/4' plumber pipe. They will cut to size for you. Remove the collar on one side of your bar and slide the pipe through. Replace the collar (probably need a hex nut wrench). Add weight to the bar and lift. Good Luck.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »
TBH, unless you're competing in strongman, I think there are other things you could spend the money on.

If you want to train your grip strength, a Rolling Thunder from Ironmind.com is good bet:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1246&variation=&aitem=20&mitem=39

(make sure to get the loading pin and clip too)

Obviously, a standard powerlifting barbell from either Eleiko, Leoko or Ivanko, is one of the first things to get.

Also a rack, a powerrack if possible. Actually, the homemade powerracks are usually the bests, since they're custom made, and often lighter.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
TBH, unless you're competing in strongman, I think there are other things you could spend the money on.

If you want to train your grip strength, a Rolling Thunder from Ironmind.com is good bet:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1246&variation=&aitem=20&mitem=39

(make sure to get the loading pin and clip too)

Obviously, a standard powerlifting barbell from either Eleiko, Leoko or Ivanko, is one of the first things to get.

Also a rack, a powerrack if possible. Actually, the homemade powerracks are usually the bests, since they're custom made, and often lighter.

YIP
Zack
man o man i wish i could afford an Eleiko bar or a York PL bar for that matter, the Eleiko training bars are around 800 bucks aren't they?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
I used a thicker bar for weighted chins one day and found that my forearms (which had previously tolerated the weight/sets/reps) were incredibly sore.  It did nothing to enhance the effectiveness of the workout with respect to the targeted muscles however.