Author Topic: no no no... I didn't just read this... no it can't be true...  (Read 5345 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
no no no... I didn't just read this... no it can't be true...
« on: January 22, 2007, 05:08:20 AM »
::)

I am the biggest proponent of watching what you say where the president is concerned, but this is to much...  Oh Brother, needless intimidation at it's finest...  I've heard people say this and Osama is who they were talking about.

Pa. man's letter brings Secret Service
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - An elderly man who wrote in a letter to the editor about Saddam Hussein's execution that "they hanged the wrong man" got a visit from Secret Service agents concerned he was threatening President Bush.

The letter by Dan Tilli, 81, was published in Monday's edition of The Express-Times of Easton, Pa. It ended with the line, "I still believe they hanged the wrong man."

Tilli said the statement was not a threat. "I didn't say who — I could've meant (Osama) bin Laden," he said Friday.

Two Secret Service agents questioned Tilli at his Bethlehem apartment Thursday, briefly searching the place and taking pictures of him, he said.

The Secret Service confirmed the encounter. Bob Slama, special agent in charge of the Secret Service's Philadelphia office, said it was the agency's duty to investigate.

The agents almost immediately decided Tilli was not a threat, Slama said

"We have no further interest in Dan," he said
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070121/ap_on_re_us/letter_writer_threat

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
Re: no no no... I didn't just read this... no it can't be true...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:25:54 AM »
good thing things like the charter were put in to prevent things like this from happening  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:31:03 AM »
 ::)  You'd think an 81-year-old man would know better. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »

So you think there's nothing wrong with the Secret Service searching this man just because he exercised his right to free speech? Isn't that excessive?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:36:40 PM »
So you think there's nothing wrong with the Secret Service searching this man just because he exercised his right to free speech? Isn't that excessive?

Sure it's excessive, but would you be dumb enough to make a veiled threat about the prez in the newspaper?  This isn't really a free speech issue.  We cannot threaten the prez.  It's a crime and they obviously take all threats, or implied threats, very seriously.  I was referring mainly to the old man being old enough to know better. 

There are many limits on speech.  Try "joking" about a bomb next time you're on a plane.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:37:40 PM »
There are many limits on speech.  Try "joking" about a bomb next time you're on a plane.   

I hear it makes stewardesses very *huggy*.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
Sure it's excessive, but would you be dumb enough to make a veiled threat about the prez in the newspaper?  This isn't really a free speech issue.  We cannot threaten the prez.  It's a crime and they obviously take all threats, or implied threats, very seriously.  I was referring mainly to the old man being old enough to know better. 

Ummm, joking about a bomb on a plane is different from being critical of the president. Saddam deserved to die because he was a murderous fiend, but Bush is a liar and a power abuser. Also the guy is like 80 years old, and I don't his threat was even serious. If I had to guess, I'd say he was just venting his frustrations and can you blame him for that?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »
Ummm, joking about a bomb on a plane is different from being critical of the president. Saddam deserved to die because he was a murderous fiend, but Bush is a liar and a power abuser. Also the guy is like 80 years old, and I don't his threat was even serious. If I had to guess, I'd say he was just venting his frustrations and can you blame him for that?
He may not have been serious but a threat can land you in jail.  Good thing he wasn't younger.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:06 PM »

He wasn't just being critical of the president.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I blame him for making this statement in a newspaper:  "I still believe they hanged the wrong man."  This is something you say privately, or arguably "anonymously" on a message board.  But in the newspaper?  Just plain stupid.

And I wasn’t saying his statement was comparable to joking about a bomb, I was trying to illustrate how there are many limits on speech (e.g., yelling fire in theater, disrespecting your boss in the military, etc.).  

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:41:49 PM »
know better than what? did you read the article? ::)  He did not threaten the presidents life.  Again, I have heard about a half dozen say this and Osama is exactly who they were referring. Spoken on the policy of bailing on the hunt to go after Saddam...  No sir, you are a fool as usual, this is much more about intimidating people critical of the president than it is worry about the people having a trial and convicting the president to you know what...  Troll on.. I see you've gone one by one with eye rolls and disagreement to everything I've posted, even jokes ::)  Child...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 04:50:49 PM »
Oh isn't that cute.  Berserker actually thinks I care about his opinion.   :)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »
He just said "they hanged the wrong man." He did not specifically say that the president should have been hung.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »
He just said "they hanged the wrong man." He did not specifically say that the president should have been hung.

Yes, but why even make an ambiguous comment about something like that in a newspaper?  It is well known that any kind of actual or veiled threat to kill the president from Joe Public will result in the feds being at your doorstep.  It has happened numerous times.  Just poor judgment on the old man's part.   

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »

Give the old fart a break why dontcha? How could he have known better?
He's 81 yrs. old, and has lived ¾ of a century during a period when free speech actually existed  :P

What a difficult job it must be being part of the presidents secret service team!  :'(

That man has stirred up so much animosity around the world, it's difficult to discern who's a threat and who is just frothing at the mouth in frustration over his failures and many shortcomings. Those 2008 elections can't come fast enough for me. There'll be a new person in the white house, Bush will be on his ranch in Paraguay avoiding extradition, and America can go back to being America again.

Hey, ...dya suppose that was why they arrested Dog the bounty hunter?  :o

I mean, ...if he went to Mexico to get that other criminal and make him answer for his crimes against American women, what's to stop him from going a little further south to... oh... I suppose in this new era, one cannot even speculate on such things...  :-X
w

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »
all they did was search him and made sure he wasnt a threat. then they left him alone.

what is with all you pussies.  he made what anyone reading that article could have easily surmised as a threat against the president, and they simply made sure he wasnt a threat.  they didnt throw him in a gulag or concentration camp, beat him, they probably took 30 of his life. 

live in your fantasy world.
Valhalla awaits.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 06:31:36 PM »
Give the old fart a break why dontcha? How could he have known better?
He's 81 yrs. old, and has lived ¾ of a century during a period when free speech actually existed  :P

What a difficult job it must be being part of the presidents secret service team!  :'(

That man has stirred up so much animosity around the world, it's difficult to discern who's a threat and who is just frothing at the mouth in frustration over his failures and many shortcomings. Those 2008 elections can't come fast enough for me. There'll be a new person in the white house, Bush will be on his ranch in Paraguay avoiding extradition, and America can go back to being America again.

Hey, ...dya suppose that was why they arrested Dog the bounty hunter?  :o

I mean, ...if he went to Mexico to get that other criminal and make him answer for his crimes against American women, what's to stop him from going a little further south to... oh... I suppose in this new era, one cannot even speculate on such things...  :-X

Except this isn't about free speech. 

Dog was arrested by the Mexican authorities.  That's a whole different situation.  I just watched a documentary on Andrew Luster (the guy Dog captured in Mexico).  What a sick jerk.  Now that is a predator if I ever saw one.  It's a shame Mexico went after Dog for bringing that criminal to justice.  What were they thinking? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »
Oh isn't that cute.  Berserker actually thinks I care about his opinion.   :)

You must... You follow my every comment with a " ::)" I don't do that to you so who cares about who's opinion more ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »
all they did was search him and made sure he wasnt a threat. then they left him alone.

what is with all you pussies.  he made what anyone reading that article could have easily surmised as a threat against the president, and they simply made sure he wasnt a threat.  they didnt throw him in a gulag or concentration camp, beat him, they probably took 30 of his life. 

live in your fantasy world.
Don't forget the message that's sent to people who are critical of current American policy.  I see this most as a means of intimidating people from speaking out...  That's the most important part to this story from what I can see...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:36 AM »
You must... You follow my every comment with a " ::)" I don't do that to you so who cares about who's opinion more ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »
imagine beach bum on a debate team.

the other team would school him with 3 valid points with supports.

When his turn arrived, he'd roll his eyes and high-5 the other 3 idiots at the special education table.

good job, beach bum.  here's your participation award for the politics board.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 08:19:38 AM »

i blame the newspaper for printing it.   ::)

ok.....maybe another one      ::)
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »
imagine beach bum on a debate team.

the other team would school him with 3 valid points with supports.

When his turn arrived, he'd roll his eyes and high-5 the other 3 idiots at the special education table.

good job, beach bum.  here's your participation award for the politics board.

I think you should discuss this with Allied Powers.*

*They're the same person. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 09:39:56 AM »
no, but thanks for playing!

monster diversion though. 

here, i'll accuse you of being delusional liberal.

*They're the same person.

man, kinda a letdown.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 10:34:19 AM »
Roll your eyes, but you know I'm right ;)  Afterall you're the one who has family talks about me.  You're daughter told you to "engage me" was how you fraised it.  You had you're little talk about wether to ignore me or debate me and you admitted following your daughters advice... Oh brother.... now that's pathetic... ::) I'm sorry to tell you, I don't talk to members of my family about you. Or seek their advice on how to handle you... aahaahaha  You on the other hand have brought your daughters into this stuff more than once.  ahahahahhahhahhahahhaa :P

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »
Roll your eyes, but you know I'm right ;)  Afterall you're the one who has family talks about me.  You're daughter told you to "engage me" was how you fraised it.  You had you're little talk about wether to ignore me or debate me and you admitted following your daughters advice... Oh brother.... now that's pathetic... ::) I'm sorry to tell you, I don't talk to members of my family about you. Or seek their advice on how to handle you... aahaahaha  You on the other hand have brought your daughters into this stuff more than once.  ahahahahhahhahhahahhaa :P