Author Topic: Sen. Coleman Sues Al Franken  (Read 10584 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Sen. Coleman Sues Al Franken
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »
The comedian lost.  I hope he loses in the recount.  The voters got it right, but just barely. 
I'm not sure, I was watching each update and it jumped 1 percent more reporting and the entire 1 percent went to norm in precincts that caught up Al?  glad they are recounting, it looked very strange to see a block go to norm like that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:42 AM »
It wasn't strange at all.  The lead was changing by the minute as precincts reported. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:51 AM »
It wasn't strange at all.  The lead was changing by the minute as precincts reported. 
yea, sorry it's odd to have the entire update go to one guy in a close election.  I'm just saying glad to see a recount and if he wins, will you turn purple too? ;D

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
How the hell can that many people vote for a crackpot extreme leftist like Franken?  What the hell is wrong with them?  People must be really pissed at Bush/Cheney and the neocons.  We must be careful to not swing too far left because of the faults of the Bush/Cheney admin.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:28 AM »
yea, sorry it's odd to have the entire update go to one guy in a close election.  I'm just saying glad to see a recount and if he wins, will you turn purple too? ;D

Why would I turn purple?  I just want the right guy to win and the comedian to return to the stage.  

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 08:38:31 AM »
Coleman
(Incumbent) 1,210,940 42%
Franken 1,210,370 42%
Barkley 437,186 15%
100% precincts reporting - Updated 1 minute agoVote by County
County Results | Larger Map
L

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »
Its pathetic that race is so close. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 09:34:07 AM »
Why would I turn purple?  I just want the right guy to win and the comedian to return to the stage.  
the right guy is the guy the people vote for.  hope that helps.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »
the right guy is the guy the people vote for.  hope that helps.

The right guy is the one most qualified for the job.  Sometimes the voters get it right, sometimes they don't.  HTH. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
Doesn't get much closer than this. 

Coleman camp declares victory again, but race is far from over
Posted: 07:50 PM ET

From CNN All Platform Journalist Chris Welch

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) — For the second time in a week, Republican incumbent Sen. Norm Coleman's camp is labeling him the winner in Minnesota's far-from-over Senate race.

Coleman leads Democratic challenger Al Franken by just 206 votes as the first round of tallying comes to a close Monday evening.

"Sen. Coleman remains the winner in this election despite unexplained discrepancies in reporting …that have virtually all benefited the Franken campaign," Coleman spokesman Tom Erickson said in a statement.

That result means little at this point: Minnesota law mandates a recount when the margin of victory in a race is less than .5 percent.

This instance falls well within that gap — more than 2.4 million Minnesotans cast votes in this year's Senate race.

Coleman's lead has shrunk since votes were first tabulated earlier in the week. On Wednesday, he led by 725 votes. Representatives with the Coleman campaign have charged that irregularities in tabulation throughout the week have unfairly benefited their opponent, Al Franken.

Franken spokesman Andy Barr dismissed the claim. "As much as the Coleman campaign would like to play political games and baselessly cast doubt on this process," Barr wrote in an e-mail to CNN, "we will continue to work to ensure that every vote is properly counted."

Barr also suggested that it would be wrong for anyone to declare victory before the statewide hand recount is complete. That process is set to begin November 19, and could last until mid-December.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/10/coleman-camp-declares-victory-again-but-race-is-far-from-over/#more-30060

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 02:30:22 AM »
If Al Franken is guilty of anything, being "not funny" should be at the top of the list.  He was never funny back in his SNL days.  Just another arrogant jerk who thinks he's smarter than the average joe when he really isn't.  I too am surprised that the vote in MN was so close.  Hopefully Al will mouth off to Jesse Ventura someday and Jesse the Body will piledrive his lame ass.  Now THAT would be comedy.  Yeehaw!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 02:33:32 AM »
The right guy is the one most qualified for the job.  Sometimes the voters get it right, sometimes they don't.  HTH. 

Right on, man. Since you obviously can tell who is and isn't qualified, let's just get rid of this democratic nonsense right away. When you are old and senile, would you please do us the favor of choosing a successor?

Thanks, brother.
G

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 02:49:17 AM »
If Al Franken is guilty of anything, being "not funny" should be at the top of the list.  He was never funny back in his SNL days.  Just another arrogant jerk who thinks he's smarter than the average joe when he really isn't.  I too am surprised that the vote in MN was so close.  Hopefully Al will mouth off to Jesse Ventura someday and Jesse the Body will piledrive his lame ass.  Now THAT would be comedy.  Yeehaw!
he is a terrible comedian.  never laughed at anything he did.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 02:52:22 AM »
Good for Ronnie...
No doubt about it...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 05:01:17 AM »
Al Franken was never funny. Hope this helps.
As empty as paradise

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 06:44:59 AM »
Al Franken was never funny. Hope this helps.
His books had some laughs.  And there was movie he did with his old partner where they were smalltime rock musicians.   That had a few good laughs in it.

Opinions are opinions.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 07:25:26 AM »
But the point is that he is not a serious and well qualified politician...which we really need these days.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
But the point is that he is not a serious and well qualified politician...which we really need these days.
As opposed to whom?  Every other candidate crows about having 'business credentials'..."I want to run the gov. like a business'...

Too bad government is not a business.  Too bad that that putative criterion for office is as relevant to competent governance as a career in comedy.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:51 AM »
I admit, I don't know much of Coleman, but what I know of Franken is not good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »
Right on, man. Since you obviously can tell who is and isn't qualified, let's just get rid of this democratic nonsense right away. When you are old and senile, would you please do us the favor of choosing a successor?

Thanks, brother.

In this instance, the issue of qualification is pretty easy to determine:  lawyer, former mayor, and one-term U.S. Senator vs. Saturday Night Live comedian.

What successor are you talking about?  Mine?  Coleman's?  If you're going to be sarcastic, at least make it a little more coherent.   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
This is great.  Two jews fighting over less than a 300 vote difference.

Let's arm them with bags of pennies at twenty paces to settle this.....or have a recount.

http://www.jewishledger.com/articles/2008/11/12/lieberman_watch/election04.txt

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »
oh man, that was funny!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »
Coleman Campaign Questions 32 Ballots in Close Race With Franken
In the closest Senate race in Minnesota's history, 32 disputed absentee ballots potentially could affect the balance of power in the U.S. Senate
By Cristina Corbin

FOXNews.com

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

With only 206 votes out of 2.9 million total ballots separating Republican Sen. Norm Coleman of Minnesota from his Democratic opponent Al Franken, every vote counts -- including the elusive 32 absentee ballots first reported to be found in a state official's car three days after the election.

The Coleman campaign claims that Minneapolis elections director Cynthia Reichert said the ballots had been "found" in her car and would be counted. Reichert denies that account, saying no ballots ever were placed in her vehicle.

Those 32 ballots have drawn close scrutiny, and for good reason: Coleman and Franken are locked in the closest Senate race in Minnesota's history -- with the outcome of the recount potentially affecting the balance of power in the U.S. Senate.

According to Fritz Knaak, senior counsel for the Coleman campaign, around 8 p.m. Nov. 7, Coleman's campaign received a phone call from Reichert informing the campaign that 32 absentee ballots had been found in her car. Knaak told FOXNews.com that Reichert said those ballots would be counted the next day.

"She initiated the call. She said, 'There were some ballots in the back of my car,'" Knaak said.

Knaak added that he did not speak with Reichert directly, saying the elections director talked with a Coleman campaign staff member. "I think someone on our legal staff," Knaak said, though he declined to provide a name.

The following morning, Knaak appeared in a Ramsey County courtroom to request a temporary restraining order to stop the counting of the 32 ballots.

Ramsey County Chief Judge Kathleen Gearin -- now a member of the Minnesota State Canvassing Board in charge of ruling over disputed ballots in the Senate race recount -- rejected Knaak's request.

Coleman's attorneys, however, accepted a statement from the city attorney assuring them that the ballots had been safely stored.

Knaak told FOXNews.com that he had hoped Reichert, who was present in court, would take the stand.

"My own personal assessment, as a prosecutor of 30 years, was that they didn't put her on the stand because they believed she had done some kind of wrongdoing," he said.

But Reichert has called the Coleman campaign's ballot-car story a complete fiction.

Though Reichert declined an interview, Matt Laible, a spokesman with the City of Minneapolis Communications Department, sent a statement to FOXNews.com on her behalf.

"There has been reporting that 32 absentee ballots were 'found' by the city of Minneapolis elections director on Friday evening. That is not the case," the statement reads. "The absentee ballots were never misplaced and have been in appropriate custody throughout the process."

Laible said Reichert contacted Coleman's campaign twice during the week of the election regarding the 32 ballots in dispute. He said that on Nov. 7, Reichert told the campaign that those ballots -- which were secured at City Hall -- would be moved to the elections warehouse and counted the next day.

Liable said the Coleman camp even sent in a guard named Tony to keep eye over them on Thursday night.

"On Friday, Ms. Reichert also called the Coleman campaign to let them know that those 32 ballots would be moved to the elections warehouse and counted on Saturday. We don’t have the name of the person she spoke to that day, but wanted them to be aware since the campaign had shown an interest in guarding the ballots at the warehouse," Liable said.

He said no mention was ever made of them being "found" in her car, but rather, the ballots, which remained sealed until they were counted, were part of the normal delivery of absentee ballots late on Election Day.

"She did not say anything about ballots in her car, as no ballots were ever in her car. We are not sure what the Coleman staffer may have heard that led him to believe that was the case," Liable said.

Based on Reichert's assertions, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie both have said that the car ballots story is "debunked."

Knaak, however, is not convinced and said he remains "skeptical" of Reichert's account -- though he said he has no plans to further pursue the matter.

"We're not looking to pick fights. All I care about is that those 32 ballots didn't appear out of the ether for Al Franken. That's all I care about," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/11/18/coleman-campaign-questions-ballots-close-race-franken/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
May not get the results till December

Minnesota recount could get ugly
Posted: 04:35 PM ET

From CNN Correspondent Mary Snow, CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser, CNN Producer Shirley Zilberstein

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) — The Senate campaign in Minnesota between incumbent Republican Norm Coleman and Democratic challenger Al Franken was considered to be quite nasty, with attack ads and angry statements by both sides. Now, it seems the recount between the two candidates could be just as ugly.

Two weeks and one day after Election Day, a mandatory recount is underway in the state in the battle for Coleman's seat. Workers at 107 sites across Minnesota Tuesday began counting the more than 2.9 million votes cast in the contest.

Unofficial results put Coleman, a freshman Republican senator, just 215 votes ahead of his Democratic challenger, Al Franken, known across the country from his days on Saturday Night Live and from his years as a talk show host on Air America, the progressive radio network. The slim margin for Coleman, far less than one half of one percent, triggered an automatic recount, the first time there's ever been a recount of a US senate race in Minnesota.

Now election officials are beginning the long process of recounting all of the ballots. They're surrounded by election observers and lawyers from both campaigns, and the media.

Already today votes are being contested by observers from both campaigns. And the Associated Press reports that a volunteer observer for Coleman was asked to step out of the recount room in Ramsey County when he loudly questioned the picking up by Franken of three votes in one precinct.

In Minneapolis, by mid-day, there was one ballot challenged in the elections warehouse location, where the re-count is underway for all of the city's ballots. Minnesota's largest city is part of Hennepin County, a large county which has several other recount locations serving it. But there could be more challenged ballots by the end of the day as ballots are put into a pile of potentially challenged ballots throughout the day. Challenged ballots go on to the state canvassing board, which oversees the recount, for review.

Even though the recount has begun, there are still legal challenges. Franken's campaign contends that there are some rejected absentee ballots that should be counted.

Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie says he thinks major interruptions with court actions will be avoided.

"I think people feel really confident that we're going to move forward and just et this done. That is the feeling you get and I think that's the commitment that people have so that's how I feel about it as well."

Ritchie, a Democrat, has come under criticism by Republicans the past week for what they say are moves to favor Franken. Ritchie disputes that and points to the fact that the five member canvassing board is made up of himself two state supreme court justices and two district judges who are equally divided by party.

The recount will extend well into December. The recount sites across Minnesota have a deadline of the first week of December to report their results. After that the state's canvassing board meets to rule on disputed ballots and to certify the election. And after that, if one side is not happy with the results, legal action could be possible.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/19/minnesota-recount-could-get-ugly/#more-30826

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2008, 12:30:22 PM »
Coleman Expands Lead Over Franken in Minn. Senate Recount

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:19 PM

By: David A. Patten 

With more than 92 percent of the recount now complete, Sen. Norm Coleman’s lead over Democratic rival Al Franken has stretched to 340 votes, an increase of about 70 votes in the past 24 hours.

While 70 votes is a fraction of the nearly 3 million votes cast in the election, every vote could be critical to Coleman’s hopes of heading off a U.S. Senate investigation into Minnesota election procedures. Such a review could take months to resolve.

“Size matters,” Larry J. Sabato of the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics tells Newsmax. “The key is whether Coleman can maintain a decent lead — a couple of hundred votes — after the recount and the decisions on the thousands of disputed ballots.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has warned Minnesota election officials that they “must ensure no voter is disenfranchised.” That has been widely seen as a signal that the Senate could intervene if Franken loses by a minuscule margin.

A spread of less than a hundred votes would make it easier for Reid and Senate Democrats to refuse to recognize Coleman’s reelection, if state officials do certify him the winner later this month, as now appears likely. Senate intervention could prove costly, however, and would stir up partisan rancor and resentment.

Friday is the deadline for completion of the recount, and legal challenges are expected.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/coleman_lead_grows/2008/12/02/157261.html