Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 182264 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #800 on: October 22, 2015, 07:14:03 PM »
Bloomberg Poll: Bush Gets No NH Bounce After Ad Blitz

Trump matches their religious views.  His 12 trillion debt budget fits their economic views. 

Trump is the man that republicans want.   They adore him and want to bask in his warmth.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #801 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
Poll: Carson opens up 14-point lead over Trump in Iowa
By Jonathan Easley
October 26, 2015

Ben Carson has overtaken Donald Trump in Iowa, surging to a 14-point lead, according to a new poll.

A Monmouth University survey released on Monday found Carson taking 32 percent support in Iowa, followed by Trump at 18 percent.

That’s a 9-point gain for Carson from the same poll in late August, while Trump has fallen five points in that time.

The poll found Carson with the best favorability rating in the field, with an astounding 84 percent of Iowa Republicans having a positive view of him, compared to only 7 percent who view him negatively.

Trump’s favorability rating is at 53 percent positive and 38 percent negative. His favorability rating is essentially unchanged from late August, although the percentage of those who view him unfavorably has increased by 5 points in that time.

Trump has led in nearly every poll of Iowa since early August, but the Monmouth survey is the third recent poll to show Carson with a healthy lead over the field in the Hawkeye State.

A Des Moines Register-Bloomberg poll released last week showed Carson with a 9 point lead, and a Quinnipiac University survey found Carson ahead by 8.

Carson is ahead among all demographic groups in Iowa, according to Monmouth. He leads among Republicans who describe themselves as "somewhat" and "very conservative," as well as self-described moderates.

Carson also leads among evangelicals, non-evangelicals, men and women in the poll.

“Trump’s support has eroded in a number of key areas, with the beneficiary being another outside candidate,” said Monmouth pollster Patrick Murray. “One question is how secure Carson’s new found support really is.”

Only 19 percent of likely Iowa Republican caucus-goers said they have made up their minds on whom to support, giving hope to lower polling candidates.

Rounding out the field are Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), at 10 percent each, and Jeb Bush at 8 percent.

Businesswoman Carly Fiorina take 5 percent support in the poll. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is at 3 percent, while Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal and John Kasich each take 2 percent support.

Outsider candidates such as Trump and Carson, though, appear to have the advantage based on the deep anti-establishment sentiment among likely caucus-goers. Fifty-seven percent said the Republican Party has done a bad job representing their views.

“While the leader board positions have changed, the outsider candidates still dominate this race,” said Murray. “The GOP’s leadership may hope that an establishment figure will emerge, but that may not happen while their voters remain dissatisfied with the party as a whole.”

Bush, Kasich, Paul and Christie are the only candidates with negative favorability ratings in Iowa, according to the poll.

The Monmouth University survey of 400 likely Republican caucus-goers was conducted Oct. 22-25 and has a 4.9 percent margin of error.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/258081-poll-carson-opens-up-14-point-lead-over-trump-in-iowa

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #802 on: October 26, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
Poll: Carson opens up 14-point lead over Trump in Iowa

carson is embracing the fcking crazy in order to win Iowa.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #803 on: October 26, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
Why Ben Carson Can Win
by Henry Olsen
October 24, 2015

I’ve written nary a word about Ben Carson. That changes today, because underneath the quiet, soft-spoken image is a man with a plan, and that plan is working.

Dr. Ben Carson is doing something no one has done in decades, combine a values-laden conservative message with a soft-spoken, humble persona. Others who have sought Reagan’s mantle have emulated elements of the Gipper’s approach, but none have spoken the language of freedom and the morality of the Bible with such eloquence and calm until now.

He talks about moral decline without the rancor or anger that typified other past favorites of the party’s religious conservative faction. He talks about the loss of American freedom without the sense of foreboding and doom that characterize all too many who seek to lead the Tea Party wing. He talks about fiscal restraint and tax cuts without seeming to care more about numbers than people as too many who have sought the favor of the party’s fiscal-soft libertarian faction. And he so far has projected the calm, deliberative nature that somewhat conservatives crave.

It should be no surprise, then, to learn that Carson runs well among all of these factions. All recent national polls with subgroup data show Carson runs better among conservatives than moderates, but only Public Policy Polling breaks down the GOP electorate into enough subgroups to let us see clearly what’s at work.

Carson’s appeal to the somewhat, establishment conservative is palpable. He received 19 percent of the very conservative vote and 22 percent among the somewhat conservatives. Contrast this with Tea Party favorite Ted Cruz and establishment favorite Jeb Bush. Cruz gets 15 percent of very conservatives but only 5 percent of somewhat conservatives. Bush on the other hand gets a measly 2 percent of very conservatives and only 9 percent among somewhat conservatives. Bush does well nationally only because he gets 21 percent of moderates, but since they comprise less than a third of the national party this is a recipe for Jeb’s defeat. The humble neurosurgeon gets two and a half times the support among the classic GOP median voters than does the Party’s $100 million man.

We can see this even more clearly by looking at the subgroup results stemming from a question uniquely asked by PPP. The firm asks GOP voters if they care more about nominating the most conservative person or about nominating the person with the best chance to win. Carson currently receives 18 percent among the those who want the most conservative person and 16 percent among those who care most about winning the general. Cruz gets 14 percent among those who want the most conservative, but a paltry 2 percent among those who most want to win (who, by the way, are a majority of the party). Bush’s figures are reversed: 5 percent among the backers of conservatism first, 13 percent among those who back winning first.

The Carson love fest is unlikely to continue simply because he is too strong not to attract negative assaults that seek to pull him down. When that happens, we will see how firm this support is. But for now, Carson is as close to unifying all wings of conservatism as anyone since George W. Bush in 2000.

http://www.nationalreview.com/2016-gops-four-faces/426028/why-ben-carson-can-win?JSAEVwYK3Vztse7m.01

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #804 on: October 27, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
Poll: Ben Carson knocks Donald Trump from top spot nationally
By Tom LoBianco, CNN
Tue October 27, 2015
Video Source: CNN

Washington (CNN)For the first time in months, a national poll shows Donald Trump is not leading the Republican 2016 primary race, and instead has Ben Carson in first place.

Carson won the support of 26% of Republican primary voters, compared to 22% who are backing Trump, according to CBS News/New York Times. Though within the poll's margin of error, it marks the first time since the billionaire businessman's dominant rise over the summer where he has been bumped from the top spot nationally.

The new numbers also represent a reversal from the last CBS/New York Times poll, taken more than a month ago, which saw Trump leading Carson 27%-23%.

The most recent CBS/New York Times poll surveyed 575 Republican primary voters and carries a 6-percentage-point margin of error.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politics/ben-carson-donald-trump-cbs-poll/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #805 on: October 27, 2015, 02:28:10 PM »
New polling strength makes Marco Rubio a top target at debate
Ledyard King, USATODAY
October 27, 2015

(Photo: AP Photo, Rick Bowmer)

WASHINGTON — Marco Rubio may find himself in an unusual position — a magnet for attack — when he takes the stage at Wednesday’s Republican presidential debate in Boulder, Colo.

When his poll numbers were lower, Rubio largely avoided taking fire from his rivals. But strong performances at two previous debates — and stumbles by former Florida governor Jeb Bush and other candidates — have made Rubio the top GOP establishment candidate. He's now in third place overall behind retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson and businessman Donald Trump.

Recent national polls averaged by RealClearPolitics show Rubio with 9%, trailing Trump (26.8%) and Carson (22%) but ahead of Bush (7%) and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas (6.6%).

That makes the first-term senator from Florida an obvious target for other GOP candidates on Wednesday. Rubio should expect some bashing, for example, on his absenteeism rate in the Senate, where he's missed more votes this year than anyone else.

But a key supporter said he should continue to ignore the noise.

“He needs to stay on message and not get rattled," said Rep. Tom Rooney, Florida chairman of Rubio’s presidential campaign. " And I think that he’ll do fine.”

Marco Rubio, then the Florida House speaker, addresses the Florida delegation at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott on Sept. 3, 2008.  Andrew West, The News-Press

Terry Madonna, director of the Center for Politics and Public Affairs at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., said he’d be “stunned” if Bush doesn’t go after Rubio on missed votes and other issues.

The former governor has suggested that lawmakers who don’t show up for votes should have their pay docked. And Bush campaign advisers have described Rubio as the GOP version of President Obama for what they say is Rubio's thin record of legislative accomplishment.

“He’s got to respond (if attacked)," Madonna said. "Any charge not answered is a charge believed. But he (should) continue to take the higher road when he can and end up trying to stay in the top four or five for the long haul now. One goal: Hang in. Hang in. Hang in. Let the others fall out and try to end up with their reservoir of support.”

Bush campaign manager Danny Diaz tried to downplay any growing friction between his candidate and Rubio. He told Fox News on Tuesday that Bush will spend the debate touting his own record as governor, not attacking his rivals' records.

“We’re focusing on Jeb Bush. We’re going to talk about 1.3 million jobs created, eight balanced budgets, $19 billion in tax cuts,” Diaz said. “There’s clearly going to be exchanges between candidates (but) we’re going to use this opportunity in front of millions of Americans to talk about the candidate who’s going to be the next Republican nominee and president of the United States.”

Given the anti-Rubio rhetoric coming out of the Bush campaign lately, Rooney said he expects the former governor to take a few swipes at Rubio, his one-time protégé. But he's not sure why, given that Carson and Trump top the GOP field.

“It almost seems personal to me,” Rooney said of Bush. “Like, if I’m not going to win, you sure as hell aren’t going to win either. And if that’s the case, that’s really sad.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/10/27/new-polling-strength-makes-marco-rubio-top-target-debate/74696708/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #806 on: October 28, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »
October 28, 2015
Carson: 'Doctors actually do know something about economics'
By Jesse Byrnes

BOULDER, Colo. — Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Wednesday expressed confidence heading into the third GOP presidential debate.

The retired neurosurgeon told reporters in the debate's spin room at the University of Colorado Boulder that he is comfortable debating economics, which will be the primary focus of the CNBC event.

"Give the American people an opportunity to know more about me and find out that doctors actually do know something about economics," Carson said when asked what he would like to accomplish in the debate.

Carson has emerged as the main threat to Donald Trump in the GOP race, pulling ahead of him in Iowa and holding an edge in some national polling.

With his campaign surging, Carson is under pressure to prove his policy chops during Wednesday night’s contest.

"You guys may not think it's in my wheelhouse. I guess we'll see," Carson said of economic policy.

Carson will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Trump on the stage, with eight other candidates. Many are expecting Trump to go hard after Carson, the only candidate who has snapped his three-month winning streak in the polls.

"My strategy will be to be me. I don't get into the mud pit," Carson said.

"Nothing to be nervous about. Just because there are 600 cameras here? Why would you be nervous?" Carson said, adding later, "It's going to be hard to have more scrutiny than I've had the past several months."

Over the weekend, Trump questioned Carson's faith as a Seventh-day Adventist, something the soft-spoken doctor has so far brushed off.

"I never really asked for an apology from him," Carson said.

Asked how he would respond Trump's attacks, Carson said, "The same way I would respond to anybody's attack, and that's to say, maybe we would be wise to devote our time to to actually answering the questions about the issues and not attacking each other."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/258417-carson-doctors-actually-do-know-something-about-economics

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #807 on: October 28, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
Carsons economic plan has some serious logic fails.  And that's from the very conservative forbes.  I bet a few opponents jump on that tonight. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #808 on: October 29, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
Link to the 28 October debate: 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #809 on: October 29, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »
Watched most of the third debate.  Some observations:

- One of the worst hatchet jobs I have ever seen by moderators.  The RNC should not allow those folks to host another debate. 

- Overall, didn't see anyone hurt themselves, except for Jeb.  He looked uncomfortable and had the biggest dud of the night when he attacked Rubio.  Bad decision.  If not for the money, I would say he is done.

- I liked Fat Man.  Too bad he peaked so early.  Like about three years too early. 

- Cruz, Rubio, and Carson were all solid.  The more I watch these debates and listen to these folks, the more I think Rubio might be the nominee.

- Loved the talk about a flat tax by Carson and Cruz.  They are speaking my language.

- Trump was smart to tone it down.  When he's not constantly being a jerk, his occasional barbs are actually funny, like when he hit back at Governor Kasich for being on the end due to his poll numbers.  That actually made me laugh out loud. 

- Trump is still long on vague promises and short on details, like how, specifically, he will make Mexico pay for a wall.  That might be the most unrealistic promise of this cycle. 

- Cruz, Rubio, and Christi each had the best lines of the night.  Cruz when he blasted the moderators for the stupid questions they were asking, and Rubio when he talked about the MSM being the Super Pac.  Christi when he scolded them for talking about fantasy football instead of the economy.  Loved it. 

- Rand Paul should quit.  I was actually surprised when I saw him answer a question.  Literally forgot he was on stage. 

Will be interesting to see what happens in the polls. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #810 on: October 29, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
The power of Ben Carson's humility
By Alex Castellanos
Thu October 29, 2015

Editor's Note: Alex Castellanos, a Republican strategist, is the founder of Purple Strategies and NewRepublican.org. Follow him on Twitter @alexcast. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his.

(CNN)—"All streams flow to the sea because it is lower than they are. Humility gives it its power. If you want to govern the people, you must place yourself below them." ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

The third GOP presidential debate was a unifying event for Republicans, thanks to the ineptitude of CNBC and its moderators. Only President Obama has done more to bring Republicans together. CNBC should be complimented that it will now be lumped with the mainstream media, considering its feeble ratings.

Dr. Ben Carson performed as he has before, when he has climbed surprisingly in post-debate polls. After this debate, we should expect nothing different.

In the debate's aftermath, the mystery of Ben Carson's ascendancy will continue to baffle both the Washington and news media establishments. Stunned by Carson's rise, our governing elite will keep scurrying about like alien scientists in a 50s sci-fi movie, unable to explain the phenomenon earthlings call "love," even with the power of their advanced microscopes.

They will tell us Carson did not meet the debate's standard. They will say he displayed a tenuous grasp of the issues and of a president's responsibilities.

They'll wonder if the simple people in flyover America are contented with the good doctor's niceness, in vivid contrast with the vicious politics of the moment. Or could his appeal be that he speaks softly, which makes him sound learned and serious?

Perhaps the simple people have found an oracle that satisfies them on an uncomplicated level, much like an inspirational poster that young girls have on their walls? "Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, remember how far you have come!" or another dumb pleasantry, says the poster for Carson for President they envision.

Branding experts will again be brought to the political morning shows to admit that, even as brilliant and all knowing as they are, they just don't get it. Carson is given no more respect than a throat lozenge that makes people feel better when the media knows we need serious medicine.

The little people don't seem to understand that the presidency requires vast skill managing large organizations and profound knowledge of political issues. Where would we be today if we had not been led by politicians with such skills?

The breathtaking presumption of superiority in this discussion is, in fact, the fuel for Carson's candidacy. How disconnected from the American people can our ruling elite possibly get?

Washington still doesn't understand his candidacy, but the secret to the Carson phenomenon shouldn't be news to anyone who has run political campaigns.

When I was younger, helping direct races for governor, senator and president, I often ran into the candidate who was willing to make the great sacrifice required to serve the common man, the unwashed American voter.

Sometimes, the candidate came from a privileged political family. Often, he was a CEO enamored with his own nonpareil gifts. These candidates usually sought the ultimate recognition of their superiority: They wanted to "give back" to the little people, their unfortunate lessers, who had proved incapable of accumulating similar fruits of success.

Regularly, the candidate who thought most of himself in public was the most insecure about his abilities in private. The monkey that roars the loudest, science tells us, is often the least capable.

Other times, the candidate who could not conceal his superiority was a young whiz convinced only he could invent the light bulb. Understandably, he could not deny the country his vast leadership skills and charisma.

Occasionally, the candidate was a good man who had simply been in office too long. I vividly remember the complaints of one congressman, weary of family time lost forever, fatiguing commutes and low pay. Tired of begging for money and votes, only to benefit ordinary lives, not his own, he moaned, "Don't these people know the sacrifices I've made for them?"

We see the same today in candidates who tell us campaigning for the presidency is a miserable experience, or they hate serving in the U.S. Senate.

Often, I found it was the candidates, not the voters, whom a simple story most helped. Many times I shared this parable with a candidate who had lost his way:

Long ago, a young Chinese prince wanted to be a great and powerful ruler for his people. So he sought out the wisest man in all of China and asked him, "Old man, how do I become the most powerful ruler in the world?"

The wise man answered, "Young prince, what is the most powerful body of water in the world?" The young prince replied, "It is the ocean!"

"Correct," said the wise man! "Young prince, what flows to the ocean?" The young prince replied, "The rivers flow to the ocean!" And the wise man said, "Correct! Young prince, why do the rivers flow to the ocean?"

The young prince paused to answer; "Because the ocean is lower than the rivers."

The wise man whispered, "Correct! Young prince, if you would be as powerful as the ocean and have the people flowing to you like the rivers, you must be lower than people you serve!"

Voters in both political parties today have been promised the moon, stars and the sun by the political leaders they have chosen, yet we find ourselves submerged in doubt and darkness. A stagnant economy. A world of threats, circling closer. Politicians who inflate themselves with promises that come to nothing and a self-indulgent elite that has us dancing perilously close to the edge.

Nothing grows for the average Joe except his fear that he is losing his country. The game, he's come to think, is rigged against him in a corrupt casino where only the privileged are allowed to win.

And on the bright screens of celebrity and success, they see the very same impotent politicians who promised to save them. They've become rock stars despite never having a hit.

In relief comes Dr. Ben Carson, whose life is a testament to humility and selfless service. He is the very opposite of the vainglorious politician whose re-election is his only accomplishment. Unlike a Donald Trump, his success comes from serving others, not from taking from them.

The greatest mass movements in history have been built, not on vaporous political promises, but on the twin pillars of humility and selfless service. Treat your neighbor as yourself. Do unto others what you would have them do unto you. "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve."

Washington stands dumb in front of this power. It looks up, unrecognizing, at the man who stoops to help others and then stands taller because he serves.

A friend who knows more about religion than I do tells me "Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his friends," doesn't mean what I think it does. It doesn't mean we have to die to demonstrate our love for our neighbors. We "lay down our lives" in all we do, big and small, when we put someone else's needs ahead of our own.

"We lay down our lives," he told me, "through service. Then, we get much more than we give."

Service to others is Carson's strength. Humility alone is his power. He will remain a mystery to the self-serving Washington political machinery that will likely grind him down to meal and devour him as an unqualified pretender.

Until then, despite his debate performances, the people flow to him as the rivers, and he becomes as powerful as the ocean because he is lower than the people he serves.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/29/opinions/castellanos-ben-carson/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #811 on: October 30, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
Online polls are not the most reliable, but I do agree that Cruz and Rubio had the best performances.

Opinion Savvy/Newsmax Poll: Rubio and Cruz Clear Debate Winners

Image: Opinion Savvy/Newsmax Poll: Rubio and Cruz Clear Debate Winners (Getty Images)
By Bill Hoffmann 
Friday, 30 Oct 2015

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida was the winner of this week's Republican presidential debate, with Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas a close second and billionaire businessman Donald Trump a distant third, an exclusive Opinion Savvy/Newsmax Poll released Friday reveals.

And the big loser was former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who was deemed to have been the worst performer during the two-hour GOP slugfest on CNBC, the survey found.

The telephone poll of 979 likely 2016 Republican primary voters showed:

Marco Rubio - 28.1 percent
Ted Cruz - 27 percent
Donald Trump -  19.4 percent
Dr. Ben Carson - 9.4 percent
Chris Christie - 5.3 percent
Jeb Bush - 3.5 percent
Carly Fiorina - 3.1 percent
John Kasich - 2 percent
Sen. Rand Paul -  .7 percent
Mike Huckabee - .3 percent

A small percentage of voters — 1.2 percent — said they were undecided following the two-hour debate.

Asked their opinion of who "lost, or performed the worst," Bush was the runaway choice with 52 percent, followed by Kasich with 12.2 percent — the only two contenders with double-digit negatives.

In third place for worst performance was:

Donald Trump - 9.8 percent
Rand Paul - 9.6 percent
Ben Carson - 3.9 percent
Carly Fiorina - 3.3 percent
Ted Cruz - 1.7 percent
Mike Huckabee and Christie tied with 1.4 percent each
Marco Rubio with 1.1 percent.

The poll asked voters who they would cast their ballots for if a primary or caucus vote was held now:

Trump - 23.9 percent
Carson - 20.2 percent
Cruz -19.5 percent
Rubio - 14.1 percent
Bush - 5.6 percent
Fiorina - 5 percent
Christie - 2.6 percent
Huckabee - 2 percent
Bobby Jindal - .9 percent
Rand Paul - .7 percent
George Pataki - .3 percent
Another 2.7 were undecided.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/newsmax-poll-marco-rubio-ted-cruz-debate/2015/10/30/id/699801/#ixzz3q4hRO8d6

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #812 on: October 30, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
trump polled pretty well too.   2 of the instant polls had him winning, announced that night.  but they all sorta snubbed him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #813 on: November 02, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
Rubio's momentum picks up with increased donor support, endorsements
By Serafin Gómez
Published October 31, 2015
FoxNews.com

Oct. 30, 2015: Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio speaks to voters at the Northwest Iowa Republican rally at Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa (Reuters)

After a strong debate performance Wednesday that boosted his profile, invigorated his early state supporters, and marked him as a contender on the rise, the presidential campaign of Marco Rubio has capitalized on his growing momentum by fortifying its fundraising strength.

On Friday, billionaire and Republican ‎donor Paul Singer, a fundraiser coveted by Rubio's rivals, endorsed the U.S. Senator from Florida.

"We're grateful to have his help," Rubio said to reporters while campaigning in Iowa Friday on Singer's endorsement.

‎"Marco Rubio can appeal to both the head and the heart. He can lead our nation by inspiring it", Singer, who met with Rubio last week, wrote in a letter to his donor network that was first reported by the New York Times.

The announcement by Singer‎, came on the same day that a major pro-Rubio super PAC, Conservative Solutions PAC, announced that they would be ramping up their efforts, including a new TV ad, to " bring Marco's optimistic conservative to as many voters as possible."

In a memo, obtained by Fox News, the powerful PAC with millions in reserves,  informed their donors that they believed ‎Rubio was one of four Republican candidates with a" reasonable chance" of becoming the party's nominee, and the only one who had the "best chance to win" among the GOP field in a general election.

‎Omitted from the four by Conservative Solutions PAC-- that along with Rubio, included Dr. Ben Carson, billionaire Donald Trump, and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz – was former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Bush and Rubio, who still consider each other friends publicly, clashed during the CNBC debate in Boulder, Colorado.

Though Bush's fundraising operation has raised more than Rubio up until this point-- the pro-Bush super PAC alone has raised over $100 million-- both are vying for many of the same donors‎. Singer backing Rubio was a blow to Bush, however.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/31/rubio-momentum-picks-up-with-increased-donor-support-endorsements/?intcmp=trending

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #814 on: November 02, 2015, 09:09:41 AM »
‘Pawn Stars’ host: Backing Rubio has hurt me
By Mark Hensch
October 30, 2015

"Pawn Stars" host Rick Harrison said Friday that he has alienated certain viewers by backing Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) for the presidency in 2016.

“When you endorse a Republican, everyone sort of frowns on you,” the reality television personality said, according to CNN.

“I don’t know why, but hey,” Harrison said. "I suddenly became famous, and I was the one willing to throw my career away to endorse a Republican.”
Harrison added that he as more privately backed Republicans in the past.

He argued Friday he could not stay silent about Rubio’s campaign because of the Florida lawmaker’s background and everyman appeal.

“I was deeply impressed,” Harrison said of his first meeting with Rubio in Las Vegas.

“It was the first time I sat down with a politician that long and it wasn’t, ‘the party, the party, the party,’ ” he said. "All he was talking about was people. Quite frankly, I’ve never had a politician talk like that."

Harrison then contrasted Rubio’s circumstances growing up with those of Donald Trump, the GOP’s presidential front-runner.

“His dad was a bartender at a bowling alley and his mom was a maid at a casino here in town,” he said of Rubio’s past.

“When someone mentions living paycheck to paycheck, he goes, ‘Yeah, I was raised that way,' ” Harrison said. “I think if you have a leader, you need someone who has experienced what people are experiencing.”

Harrison additionally criticized Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton for lacking any true foreign policy accomplishments.

“I can’t really think of anything she did,” he said of the former secretary of State.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/258655-pawn-stars-host-backing-rubio-has-hurt-me

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #815 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
Cruz's silent super PACs a growing worry for campaign
Four pro-Cruz super PACs are sitting on huge sums of money, but have run virtually no TV ads so far.
By SHANE GOLDMACHER 11/02/15

The Cruz super PACS are a decentralized alliance of four independent but interconnected operations. | AP Photo

The super PACs backing Cruz’s presidential run have yet to reserve any TV time in the early primary states – or anywhere else – despite a combined $38 million warchest that ranks second only to Jeb Bush’s $103 million operation.

The total absence of ads has created confusion and growing consternation inside the Cruz campaign, which cannot legally communicate with its allied super PACs and has had to watch as their rivals lock in tens of millions of dollars in ads before prices spike, as they typically do as elections near.

“I assume they’re waiting so their media buyers make the highest commission,” one Cruz adviser quipped.

While most 2016 candidates have one main super PAC backing them, the Cruz super PACS are a decentralized alliance of four independent but interconnected operations, each called some version of “Keep the Promise.” People familiar with the groups say they were designed that way to cater to the different big donors funding them.

Hedge fund manager Robert Mercer gave $11 million to one. Energy investor Toby Neugebauer gave $10 million to another. And the families of Dan and Farris Wilks, brothers who became billionaires in the Texas fracking boom, gave $15 million to a third.

Despite those huge sums virtually no Cruz TV ads have aired yet (a single ad ran during the Iowa-Iowa State football game in September) – and none are reserved yet. In contrast, outside groups backing Rubio and Bush are sitting on more than $50 million in reservations through the primaries, according to media trackers. Plus, millions in pro-Bush, pro-John Kasich, pro-Chris Christie and pro-Bobby Jindal ads have already aired.

Laura Barnett, spokeswoman for the Keep for Promise alliance, said booking TV time was “totally not even on my radar.”

“Based on the response from [the] debate, where Senator Cruz talked about what the moderators were asking and the questions they were posing to the candidates, we’ve seen a tremendous amount of earned media…” Barnett said. “We’re going to ride that wave as long as we can.”

Cruz is trying to establish himself as a top conservative contender for the nomination, but he will likely eventually need some cover on the airwaves from his super PACs.

Kellyanne Conway, who runs the Mercer-funded Keep the Promise I group, said some TV ads are in production and brushed aside talk of limited inventory or spiking prices. Her group, she noted, is already airing more targeted radio ads on conservative talk and Christian radio, as part of a $1 million buy through the end of the year. They are doing digital ads, as well.

“I can reserve money [for TV ads] when I hang up with you,” she said.

But the price difference for super PACs, especially those that wait, can be enormous. On KCCI in Des Moines, for instance, Rubio’s campaign has reserved a 30-second spot on the 10pm evening news the Friday before the Iowa caucuses for $750, Federal Communications Commission records show. Bush’s super PAC has reserved a 30-second ad on the same broadcast for $5,000 because there are no federal limits on what super PACs can be charged. And the super PAC ad rate is almost universally expected to rise.

“I don’t need to be defensive. I’m sitting on lots of money and I intend to spend every last dollar of it,” Conway added. She said the goal was to be more surgical, spending on digital, cable, direct mail, radio in addition to TV. She pointed to the Bush super PAC, which has spent more than $10 million already on ads, “Where has that gotten them?” she asked. “They did move, but they moved down.”

Conway’s group has been far more active than the other pro-Cruz groups. Keep the Promise II and III, which have $25 million between them, have so far reported spending less than $50,000 on independent expenditures to help Cruz. David Barton, an influential evangelical leader, is also involved in setting the strategy for the Cruz super PACs but was unavailable for interview.

An internal document from the Cruz super PACs suggests they did not originally intend to wait so long to go on air. A PowerPoint presentation appealing to donors, posted on the group’s website over the summer and since taken offline, said that Keep the Promise would roll “out a positive campaign in key primary states around the first debate.”

That never happened.

The same presentation warned that “television rates start to skyrocket in December making it impossible for candidates to define themselves and their views so therefore are defined by the Media.”

Cruz’s campaign has tried to send signals to the super PACs in the hopes that they would air ads to introduce Cruz to the electorate. Over the summer, the campaign posted on YouTube hours of unedited, glowing testimonials from Cruz’s family telling soft-focus stories about a senator known mostly for his stridency. It amounted to a public plea for the super PACs to use the footage. Yet no such ads have aired.

“If they don’t, we will,” another Cruz official said of using the footage in introductory ads. “We’re going to tell some of those stories, not just the footage that we put out but footage that we shot here recently. We’re going to tell that story.”

Conway said they had looked into using the video clips – “I love that footage,” she said – but ran into legal issues. In an era in which numerous campaigns are driving aggressively through loopholes in campaign-finance law, the lawyers at least Cruz’s super PAC tapped the brakes. Larry Levy, an attorney for Keep the Promise I, said he believed repackaging clips produced by the campaign would amount to a violation.

“Taking that material and turning it into pro-Cruz ads seemed to me, as my judgment as a lawyer, would be an improper use of campaign resources and any ad we made out of it would constitute an improper contribution to the Cruz campaign,” Levy said. “I admit I am a lawyer who does not recommend dancing over the line,” he added.

Cruz himself was hands-off about his outside support. “I can genuinely answer I have no idea what the super PAC is going to do or what their strategy is,” Cruz told POLITICO a week ago. “That is the nature of this idiotic system we have under federal law.”

As for his own campaign spending plans, Cruz likened it to the Mel Gibson movie scene “where the other army is advancing and they keep saying ‘Hold, hold, hold.’ We are saving our resources very deliberately to use where they have the maximum impact.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ted-cruz-silent-super-pacs-2016-215422#ixzz3qM4eQz1N

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #816 on: November 02, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
Cruz moves into third in Iowa polls
By Jesse Byrnes
November 02, 2015

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) has edged his way into third in the early voting state of Iowa, according to two new polls released Monday.

Ben Carson and Donald Trump continue to lead the crowded Republican field in the Hawkeye State, with 28 and 20 percent, respectively, in the KBUR/Monmouth poll.

Cruz snags 15 percent support in the poll, with Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) following at 10 percent and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush at 9 percent.

A separate poll of Iowa released Monday by the left-leaning Public Policy Polling also found Cruz in third place behind Trump and Carson, with 14 percent support.

Cruz and Rubio have battled for third place in a series of polls in the state recently. Both received positive ratings after the GOP debate last week in Colorado aired by CNBC.

But Cruz had perhaps the most memorable moment of the debate when he attacked the CNBC moderators for trying to turn the contest into a "cage match."

The questions, he said, “illustrate why the American people don’t trust the media.”

Cruz was among several Republicans in Iowa over the weekend attending an annual pheasant-hunting fundraiser hosted by Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa). Rubio also held campaign events in the state over the weekend.

The latest poll finds Carly Fiorina at 4 percent in Iowa and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.) each at 2 percent.

The survey of 874 likely Republican caucus-goers was conducted immediately after last week's debate Oct. 29-31 via landlines and cellphones with a margin of error of 3.4 percent.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/258867-cruz-moves-into-third-in-iowa-poll

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #817 on: November 02, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
Cruz or lose.

anyone supporting trump or carson is a lib in sheeps clothing.  Carson registered to be a republican in Oct of last year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #818 on: November 02, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
Just remarkable what he has done in such a short period of time with no political experience and without the name recognition or money of someone like Trump.

NBC/WSJ Poll: Carson Surges Into Lead of National GOP Race
by Mark Murray
Nov 2 2015

Ben Carson has surged into the lead of the Republican presidential race, getting support from 29 percent of GOP primary voters, according to a brand-new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

That's the highest percentage any GOP candidate has obtained so far in the survey.

Carson's 29 percent is followed by Donald Trump at 23 percent, Marco Rubio at 11 percent, Ted Cruz at 10 percent and Jeb Bush at 8 percent. These findings are similar to a New York Times/CBS poll released last week, which also showed Carson in first place in the national GOP contest.

If past polling has been about Trump leading the GOP field, "then this survey is about Dr. Ben Carson, who is currently the man to beat for the Republicans," says Democratic pollster Fred Yang, whose firm Hart Research Associates conducted this survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff.

The NBC/WSJ poll was conducted Oct. 25-29, so before and after last week's third Republican presidential debate hosted by CNBC.

Earlier in October — before that debate — Trump was ahead the GOP at 25 percent (then the high-water mark for any Republican candidate in the poll), Carson was at 22 percent, Rubio at 13 percent, Cruz at 9 percent and Bush at 8 percent.

In addition to leading the GOP field, Carson also becomes the first GOP candidate in the NBC/WSJ poll to get majority support as either a first or second choice among GOP primary voters.

A combined 50 percent of Republican voters pick Carson as either their first or second choice in the GOP presidential race — followed by 35 percent for Trump, 24 percent for Rubio and 23 percent for Cruz.

Carson "has broad support, but we don't know yet the depth and commitment of that support," Yang says.

"It doesn't mean it is enduring," but it's still noteworthy that a majority of Republicans pick Carson as either their first or second choice, adds GOP pollster McInturff.

And while there's still plenty of time for an establishment GOP candidate to beat Carson or Trump, Democratic pollster Peter Hart wonders if the 2016 Republican race is shaping up to resemble 1964, when Barry Goldwater won the GOP nomination.

"What if the cake is baked?" Hart asks. "This is not a status-quo electorate."

This NBC/WSJ poll was conducted (by telephone and cell phone) Oct 25-29 of 400 GOP primary voters, and it has a margin of error of plus-minus 4.9 percentage points.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/nbc-wsj-poll-carson-surges-lead-national-gop-race-n456006

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #819 on: November 02, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
Just remarkable what he has done in such a short period of time with no political experience and without the name recognition or money of someone like Trump.

He brags about attempting to murder people, and he claims the earth is only 6000 years old.

The dude is LITERALLY a wet dream for the angry religious right. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #820 on: November 02, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
What a mess.  Just a minute or two in an interview is all it would take to make Carson look like a disastrous liar, so he's getting a big pass.

All done in an attempt to get Hillary into the WH.  So this is about as fortunate as it gets for Carson.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #821 on: November 03, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »
He brags about attempting to murder people, and he claims the earth is only 6000 years old.

The dude is LITERALLY a wet dream for the angry religious right. 

::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #822 on: November 03, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
What a mess.  Just a minute or two in an interview is all it would take to make Carson look like a disastrous liar, so he's getting a big pass.

All done in an attempt to get Hillary into the WH.  So this is about as fortunate as it gets for Carson.

Aside from Trump who still a sideshow IMO, several of the candidates are doing pretty well, including Carson, Cruz, Rubio, and Christie. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #823 on: November 03, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
Aside from Trump who still a sideshow IMO, several of the candidates are doing pretty well, including Carson, Cruz, Rubio, and Christie. 

Go for Carson or Christie the other 2 doesnt bother showing up for work.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #824 on: November 03, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
Go for Carson or Christie the other 2 doesnt bother showing up for work.

Well I guess you won't get to fake vote for them?