Author Topic: Now that the NY Times has reported it, will you believe it?  (Read 4052 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Now that the NY Times has reported it, will you believe it?
« on: November 25, 2006, 12:50:29 PM »
Dollar Falls as Concerns Grow About Economy

JEREMY W. PETERS and CARTER DOUGHERTY
New York Times
Friday, November 24, 2006

The dollar dropped sharply against a broad range of major currencies today, and the euro broke through the $1.30 mark for the first time in a year and a half, highlighting concern about the strength of the American economy.

The dollar’s losses came during a thin trading day in which the British pound rose to its strongest value against the dollar in two years. The Japanese yen and the Swiss franc also gained at the dollar’s expense.

Stocks closed lower on Wall Street today after a shortened trading session that was soured by news of the dollar’s woes.

Though the Thanksgiving holiday probably accentuated the dollar’s fall, analysts said the drop appears to reflect concerns that the American economy will continue to weaken as economies in Europe and Asia grow stronger.

“To dismiss this as a technical correction is to overlook the structural reasons why the U.S. dollar is having a very hard time these days,” said Hans Redeker, global head of currency strategy at BNP Paribas in London.

A number of factors, including slower growth and the multibillion-dollar trade deficit, put the American economy in a vulnerable position compared with its global competitors. While the most recent data show that the trade gap tightened in September, the decline was largely due to falling oil prices. The trade deficit was $586.2 billion for the first nine months of the year, and it remains on track to break last year’s record of $716.7 billion. The biggest chunk by far represents imports from China.

The trade imbalance will be one of the major issues that Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr. and other top Bush administration officials discuss next month when they travel to China. Mr. Paulson, along with a delegation that will include Ben S. Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, is expected to press Chinese officials on a number of economic issues, from cracking down on piracy to allowing the Chinese yuan to trade more freely in currency markets.

Analysts said that the dollar’s drop today reflected a growing anxiety over Chinese economic policy. China’s central bank holds a large amount of American currency, and speculation has intensified recently that it could begin selling off dollars to avoid being burned if the dollar collapses.

Also lurking behind the dollar’s depreciation is the rising probability, in the view of some economists and currency investors, that a weakening American economy will force the Federal Reserve to begin cutting borrowing costs next year.

Against the backdrop of a European Central Bank that seems determined to tighten rates further next year, the appeal of dollar-denominated assets is falling as the prospect of higher returns in Europe rises.

“There can be no doubt that the ECB has more shots in its gun,” said Erik Nielsen, chief Europe economist at Goldman Sachs in London. “If the Fed starts cutting next year, then the gap begins to widen.”

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: Now that the NY Times has reported it, will you believe it?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »
gained at the dollar’s expense.

more shots in its gun,

then the gap begins to widen.”

[/quote]

but they only have guns in the US
and China
(and Russia and
S.America
and Bosnia
and Afganistan
and Iraq....

fine
Linda
in England
xxxxx

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 12:59:21 PM »
um...

my point being that the dollar is in serious trouble and everyone's dancing about, singing the DOW praises.  I fear Jan 2 will be a dark day for stockholders :(

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 02:16:41 PM »
walmart just had its first drop in same store sales since 1996.

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. predicted a rare decline in monthly sales on Saturday, even as U.S. bargain-hunters jammed stores in search of gifts at the start of the crucial holiday shopping season.

Wal-Mart, the world's biggest retailer, sounded a cautious note for retailers as they began a second day of Thanksgiving weekend sales with deep discounts and early bird specials on items ranging from cashmere sweaters to big-screen plasma televisions.

Wal-Mart estimated that November sales fell 0.1 percent at its U.S. stores open at least a year -- a closely watched retail measure known as same-store sales.

Reuters Pictures

Editors Choice: Best pictures
from the last 24 hours.

View Slideshow

The retailer will provide a final monthly sales report on Thursday, when most other major chain stores report their November figures. This would mark Wal-Mart's first monthly same-store sales decline since April 1996

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »
I know someone who works at Walmart, the store she works at is in the top 3% out of all walmart stores.  She went home early on Black Friday because it was dead.  This is going to be interesting... I just heard on the radio retailers are expected to report record profits this holiday season.  :-\ hmmmmmm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 02:42:14 PM »
this clearly illustrates the problem - the Dow is high, but since that wealth is owned by a disproportionate number of individuals, more of the population is poor.

It's like 2 guys winning the lottery while 35 declare bankruptcy.  Statistically, the overall average wealth of these 37 people might be rising - but in real life, most aren't feeling it.

The DOW is very very high.  Americans should be the richest they've ever been.  tell me folks, when you go outside, do you feel the richest you ever have?  Are you and your coworkers making money at record levels?  Is your bank acct the highest it's ever been?

For 2% of Americans, the answer is yes.  for 98%, the answer is no.  Statistically, again, the overall level might rise.  but retail sales will certianly show the disparity.  Jan 2... I'm telling you guys... I was interning at Prudential in 2001 when the dotcom bubble burst and they all knew it was coming.  They all jacked up the value too, and sold on day 1 of the new year to cap early on later lowered rates, and to collect the christmas windfall.

jan 2 :(

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 02:49:33 PM »
Rob the true effect of the bush fuckup wont be seen for another 3ish yrs...

by that time they will blame..conveniently..the new office...

action ...reaction....
carpe` vaginum!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 02:51:45 PM »
Rob the true effect of the bush fuckup wont be seen for another 3ish yrs...
by that time they will blame..conveniently..the new office...
action ...reaction....

Will bush be living in his Paraguay home by then?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
this clearly illustrates the problem - the Dow is high, but since that wealth is owned by a disproportionate number of individuals, more of the population is poor.

It's like 2 guys winning the lottery while 35 declare bankruptcy.  Statistically, the overall average wealth of these 37 people might be rising - but in real life, most aren't feeling it.

The DOW is very very high.  Americans should be the richest they've ever been.  tell me folks, when you go outside, do you feel the richest you ever have?  Are you and your coworkers making money at record levels?  Is your bank acct the highest it's ever been?

For 2% of Americans, the answer is yes.  for 98%, the answer is no.  Statistically, again, the overall level might rise.  but retail sales will certianly show the disparity.  Jan 2... I'm telling you guys... I was interning at Prudential in 2001 when the dotcom bubble burst and they all knew it was coming.  They all jacked up the value too, and sold on day 1 of the new year to cap early on later lowered rates, and to collect the christmas windfall.

jan 2 :(

Bush's Trickle up economics... lol ;D

uhm... last time this happend... 1929 the Great Crash

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 03:02:45 PM »
Will bush be living in his Paraguay home by then?
my guess is he's building the world's deepest bunker.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 03:28:40 PM »
I guess you missed the effects of Reaganomics and the spin offs that Clinton received.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 03:31:29 PM »
this isn't about politics.

This is about the survival of the US economy.

serious shit. Pointing fingers at this, or past presidents, is pointless.

The US economy is way bigger than either of these gentlemen, i'm sure we all know this.

Delusional Liberal

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
new york times is extremely liberal and jumps on anything that will make bush look bad while ignoring any positives, so no, not a good source.
the weakening dollar is more of a positive thing than a negative, and more than likely is intentional, for trade reasons, increases attractiveness of exports, hurts imports, ETC. like in the 80s when we had strong growth and a weakening dollar.
i knew the article was bullshit when i read 'Europe getting stronger while the US getting weaker' ::) what a joke, the EU grows at a rate slower than the US does in a recession.  the EU as a whole is fading out of existance.  whoever wrote this is clearly pandering to idiot sheep like 240 who can be easily persuaded.
Asia getting stronger, great, yeah they are, china for example has nearly 1/4 of the worlds population yet 18% the GDP of the US, even if the US economy today were to freeze in time and china were to grow at 10% indefinitly(impossible if the US isn't growing) it would take china till around 2050 to match in terms of total GDP, not to mention per capita.  awsome ::)

stop being a pessimistic worry wart, it's unhealthy.  gloomy economic doomsdayers are always wrong, especially wrong now.  the US economy is extremely strong.  and when/if the US does weaken economically, the EU, china, will all weaken alongside.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 03:37:18 PM »
I guess you missed the effects of Reaganomics and the spin offs that Clinton received.
BWHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHHAHA.... Stick your hannitized lies up your ass...  ::) I don't even like Clinton and I can buy that shit ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 03:37:55 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061125/ap_on_bi_ge/black_friday_sales

Black Friday sales up 6 percent over '05 By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO, AP Business Writer
1 hour, 21 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The nation's retailers had a strong start to the holiday shopping season, according to results announced Saturday by a national research group that tracks sales at mall-based stores. One big exception was Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which said it expects to report same-store sales in November below its already lackluster forecast.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to ShopperTrak RCT Corp., which tracks total sales at more than 45,000 mall-based retail outlets, total sales rose 6 percent to $8.96 billion on Friday, the start of the holiday shopping season, compared to the same day a year ago.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 03:40:16 PM »
our economy is terrible. who could say otherwise.... ::)
Valhalla awaits.

MKD

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 03:40:39 PM »
Global economics is the next world war.  IF China does decide to sell off significant amounts of dollars, we (Americans) will feel it with higher taxes and higher interest rates.  The poor saps that have adjustable rate mortgages will be out of a house.  Imports will be cheaper though.

I've said it before, we are using antiquated Cold War era policies in a world order that requires original foreign policy.
strong mind, strong body

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »
new york times is extremely liberal and jumps on anything that will make bush look bad while ignoring any positives, so no, not a good source.

So the NY Times just "made up the fact that the dollar dropped sharply against a broad range of major currencies today, and the euro broke through the $1.30 mark for the first time in a year and a half?  They just made that up? 

the weakening dollar is more of a positive thing than a negative, and more than likely is intentional

I am reading the rants of an idiot.

stop being a pessimistic worry wart, it's unhealthy.  gloomy economic doomsdayers are always wrong, especially wrong now.  the US economy is extremely strong.  and when/if the US does weaken economically, the EU, china, will all weaken alongside.

EU, China, USSR, Indonesia, and middle east have all kissed the dollar goodbye in the last few years.

So, it's going to go up in value, and you realize this, despite the fact that every other major trading partner in the world is jumping ship? 

All I know is, I'm putting my $ in more stable, less dollar-dependent places.  You put all your money in it.  We'll see what happens.  one thing tho - why aren't we seeing ANY articles about the dollar's great prospects?  Why, instead, is everyone talking about the wekaneing dollar?  If the dollar's future was bright, why would our partners all drop it?  You can quote all day about growth rate stats from years past, but I am speaking on actions taking place TODAY.  Futures, not histories.

You keep on dancing in 1999.  I hope everyone else is smarter than that.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »
1998 - hedge & bond market collapsed.

2001 - war buildup - domestic needs resources moved to military spending.

This is not sustainable. Everytime the DOW goes up, it means 5k jobs just left.  You don't understand the short term WHY behind the current leaps.

Your name is quite fitting, Delusional!

MKD

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 03:58:51 PM »
EU, China, USSR, Indonesia, and middle east have all kissed the dollar goodbye in the last few years.

China owns close to $1trillion.  For every 1 cent the dollar depreciates relative to the yuan menas China loses about $10billion.  If the dollar weakens, their foreign reserves decline and their exports to America become more expensive.  China is one country that likes a stong dollar and in fact has pegged its official currency to the dollar.

About 80% of Russia's foreign reserves are dollars.

Having said that, if these countries decide the euro, yen, or yuan are a better investment, it will not hurt our economy on a macro level too much but will really suck for the individuals.  What hurts our economy more is the $400billion we have spent for GWOT.  Comparing to the Great Depression is a bit too optimistic, but it would be like the early 70's.

NY Times is reputable, a lot of academics and policy makers reference it.  NYTimes is up there with the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal as the most accurate and respected daily publications.
strong mind, strong body

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:05:36 PM »
this isn't about politics.

This is about the survival of the US economy.

serious shit. Pointing fingers at this, or past presidents, is pointless.

The US economy is way bigger than either of these gentlemen, i'm sure we all know this.

The US economy isn't going anywhere.
This is just fear that free trade is killing your economy.

The problem isn't free trade, it is uneven trade.
America brought this on.
American imports Chinese and Indian goods even though the trade situation isn't even.

But you get cheap goods at Walmart.

Berserker, that is the problem of not having free trade and the WTO.
Uneven trading. IE higher exporting tariffs, then importing and China fixing it dollar to the American dollar is causing all of this.
Freetrade and a mechanism to hold China to account is what is needed for all the Western world.

But I am libertarian and believe open trading is the only way for everyone to prosper.

The true impact of China on the global econly hasn't even been felt yet.
Boeing airplanes and their technology is in Chinese hands.
Wait until Raytheon wants to set up shop.
After 10 years the Chinese have equal rights to all of this technology and will sell it back to America at pennies to the dollar.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »
It's kinda frustrating when people will just discount any figures in the NY Times - like dollar rates - because they consider it a liberal source.  They can't refute it with other data- they just call it bullshit like the trained dumb seals they've been taight to be.

MKD

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:14:38 PM »
C'mon 240, you know that most people would rather reinforce their perception and beliefs than be threatened by a rational opposing viewpoint. ;D ;D
strong mind, strong body

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
It's kinda frustrating when people will just discount any figures in the NY Times - like dollar rates - because they consider it a liberal source.  They can't refute it with other data- they just call it bullshit like the trained dumb seals they've been taight to be.

I am not disputing the times.
There are more factors that I think you should be concerned about then the dollar.

One of the biggest markers on the state of the US economy is housing starts and in general the housing market.
It is the time to buy in most of the US because their markets are tanking,  just like their local economies.

On a good note. You will be able to get a cheap mortgage if the times is right.
Z

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:29:01 PM »

I strongly believed in Reagan's cutting of taxes, cutting government spending, downsizing the government and strong defense. I believed in G.W.B. being a disciple of Reagan but I have been proved wrong.
The House that Ruth built