Author Topic: I am a physical wreck  (Read 25621 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: I am a physical wreck
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »
If you have ever had any SURVIVAL TRAINING while in the military you might recall that you were trained to eat the skinny guy in the life-boat first because he will be the first to die anyway due to the fact that he lacks 'safety fat'.

The fat guy will always be the last man standing and live to serve another day. I seem to recall that that was referred to as Economy of Forces.

It was sort of like natural triage!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
If you have ever had any SURVIVAL TRAINING while in the military you might recall that you were trained to eat the skinny guy in the life-boat first because he will be the first to die anyway due to the fact that he lacks 'safety fat'.

The fat guy will always be the last man standing and live to serve another day. I seem to recall that that was referred to as Economy of Forces.

It was sort of like natural triage!

So now I know the meaning of the words, but I still have no idea why someone in Vince's situation would ever need it.

Do you remember a story about the couple who became lost in "the bush" in British Columbia? They survived the ordeal mainly because they were both overweight. This was back in the late 60's or early 70's.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »
PRIME, Yep .... that is one of the prime things you learn in Survival school, but now due to being politically correct ... or for a number of unknown reasons .... it may not be valid.

And I don't recall if eating the skinny guy was actually justifiable.

Nor do I even think that such action was even mentioned within the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

So don't get ship-wrecked unless you're the fattest dude in the boat!

You have brrn warned.

I winder what Go4 has to say about this? He's pretty damn lean witout that safety fat!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2018, 06:18:58 PM »
PRIME, Yep .... that is one of the prime things you learn in Survival school, but now due to being politically correct ... or for a number of unknown reasons .... it may not be valid.

And I don't recall if eating the skinny guy was actually justifiable.

Nor do I even think that such action was even mentioned within the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

So don't get ship-wrecked unless you're the fattest dude in the boat!

You have brrn warned.

I winder what Go4 has to say about this? He's pretty damn lean witout that safety fat!

Not only that, but think about how many overweight people there must be on those cruise ships. ;) Hmm, wonder if old folks like myself are in greater danger of being cannibalized in those situations? 

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2018, 09:29:40 PM »

I carry some safety fat on an otherwise muscular body. Solid and strong.

"Safety" FAT & MUSCULAR body  ::) ::) ::)

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »

The parents of a mate once remarked, "Vince is a fine figure of a man!" That is still true.

When was that  ? 1970  ::)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »
What exactly does "safety fat" mean?

Someone in the muscle magazines recommended keeping some fat on the body for the times you get sick and lose weight.

The extra fat will suffice and you won't lose much size. That is the safe way of keeping perhaps 10 pounds of fat for stressful times.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2018, 01:20:19 AM »
Someone in the muscle magazines recommended keeping some fat on the body for the times you get sick and lose weight.

The extra fat will suffice and you won't lose much size. That is the safe way of keeping perhaps 10 pounds of fat for stressful times.

What a lame excuse, you carry way more fat. Your bf% is at least 20-25%

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2018, 01:39:09 AM »

Pellius inspired me to go out today and take some risks. I wanted to get to a 'lookout' but there are no paths there and you have to cross a ravine as well.

So away I went up to the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. Long hike carrying about 25 pounds of camera equipment and liquids. There was only one place to cross a small

creek otherwise cliff walls prevented crossing. I made it to the 'lookout' and took a lot of panoramas. I gave myself 2 hours to get back before sunset. I chose to return via a slightly

different way and missed the crossing. So I spent half an hour going up and down looking. Eventually I found it but sweated a lot...my clothes were soaking wet. During the

search I came to a tricky place above the ravine. I was close to the edge but had to use my grip to hold onto rocks to get by. Crazy stuff that I wouldn't

normally do. No one knew where I was and I was on my own. I must get an emergency transmitter to carry with me at all times.

I had to lie down and rest several times as it was uphill most of the way. Made it to my car at 5 pm which was after sunset in the mountains. Photo later.

I just had to do something that Pellius could no longer do. So I blame him for the inspiration.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2018, 01:48:39 AM »
Pellius inspired me to go out today and take some risks. I wanted to get to a 'lookout' but there are no paths there and you have to cross a ravine as well.

So away I went up to the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. Long hike carrying about 25 pounds of camera equipment and liquids. There was only one place to cross a small

creek otherwise cliff walls prevented crossing. I made it to the 'lookout' and took a lot of panoramas. I gave myself 2 hours to get back before sunset. I chose to return via a slightly

different way and missed the crossing. So I spent half an hour going up and down looking. Eventually I found it but sweated a lot...my clothes were soaking wet. During the

search I came to a tricky place above the ravine. I was close to the edge but had to use my grip to hold onto rocks to get by. Crazy stuff that I wouldn't

normally do. No one knew where I was and I was on my own. I must get an emergency transmitter to carry with me at all times.

I had to lie down and rest several times as it was uphill most of the way. Made it to my car at 5 pm which was after sunset in the mountains. Photo later.

I just had to do something that Pellius could no longer do. So I blame him for the inspiration.

Are you in Queensland? Place must be great for hiking.

I know that you're a strong individual, but why would you take to risk to hike alone? I mean, what if you fall from a rock or get bitten by a snake?

25 pounds of baggage is a lot in a hot environment like that. 10-max 15% of body fat should be sufficient, as long as you manage your calorie, water & sodium intake during a trip.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »

Good job, Vince! I may not have much safety fat and look better on the beach but I have to admit
that you have me beat. Maybe one day when I get my knee replaced I'll be able to keep up with you
climbing those hills.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2018, 02:44:20 AM »
Are you in Queensland? Place must be great for hiking.

I know that you're a strong individual, but why would you take to risk to hike alone? I mean, what if you fall from a rock or get bitten by a snake?

25 pounds of baggage is a lot in a hot environment like that. 10-max 15% of body fat should be sufficient, as long as you manage your calorie, water & sodium intake during a trip.

We have our cool season in Sydney now. In the mountains today it was about 50 degrees F or 10 degrees C. I have never seen a snake in all the years I have been hiking in Australia.

I always take less fluids than I need. Two 600ml drinks were not enough. I sweated more than that.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2018, 03:27:34 AM »
Exciting Vince.

Too much risk though.  Glad you made it back.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2018, 05:46:44 AM »
Exciting Vince.

Too much risk though.  Glad you made it back.

First time in my life I was lost. Well I didn’t know where the crossing was because there was another similar rock formation that led me astray. I wasted over half an hour before I got lucky. At one point I had to cling onto rocks with nothing to grip on and put a foot where I could scramble over the crevice. If I lost my grip I would still be at the bottom smashed against rocks. That was the riskiest thing I have ever done. Trouble was I was hunched over under part of a ledge and I couldn’t back up. Backpack a worry for balance and I had to put the tripod down. I was going the wrong way as well! I decided to head up the canyon and about 100 meters away I found the crossing. By this time the area I was in was in the shade. Then I had to scramble up a long slippery hill. I needed several long rests and watched the sun fading away on Mount Banks. I was very wet and relieved to sit in my car again.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2018, 06:20:46 AM »
Safety fat. Man stranded on an uncharted island lives for 6 months off his fat reserves. All the fit men die in a month.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »

Higher.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »
VINCE, I love hiking and do it often, but why is it necessary to carry 25 pounds of photo gear unless you are shooting for National Geographic.

Even some of tose Lord of the Rings shots down New Zeland way were photographed with much lighter equiment.

I suggest that you consider a Hero GoPro 6 or some other lightwt device for your next treking adventure.

But I'd like to commend you about that shot of Zane standing on a hill with the beach in the background.   What lens/camera did you use?

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2018, 09:04:23 AM »
First time in my life I was lost. Well I didn’t know where the crossing was because there was another similar rock formation that led me astray. I wasted over half an hour before I got lucky. At one point I had to cling onto rocks with nothing to grip on and put a foot where I could scramble over the crevice. If I lost my grip I would still be at the bottom smashed against rocks. That was the riskiest thing I have ever done. Trouble was I was hunched over under part of a ledge and I couldn’t back up. Backpack a worry for balance and I had to put the tripod down. I was going the wrong way as well! I decided to head up the canyon and about 100 meters away I found the crossing. By this time the area I was in was in the shade. Then I had to scramble up a long slippery hill. I needed several long rests and watched the sun fading away on Mount Banks. I was very wet and relieved to sit in my car again.

so you did not plan on climbing dangerous rocks, but you got to a kind of "point of no return" ?  :)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
A real fast interrupt here for Vince B.

If you ever get up to Hawaii, take a  trek on the Na Pali coast trail ino Kaolalau Valley. Most likely one of the most spectacular hikes in the USA.

Here ae two photos. The beach shot with the waterfall in the background is te final destination.

The waterfall is a shower used for cleaning up after a difficult hike. And there is a wet cave which is spectacular and a dry cave where most hikers stay during inclement weather.

And you can even hunt for wild pigs if so inclined.

GO4 sees this spectacular coastline from his ship once a week I believe, but you gotta hike it to really see its beauty.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2018, 10:57:16 AM »
A real fast interrupt here for Vince B.

If you ever get up to Hawaii, take a  trek on the Na Pali coast trail ino Kaolalau Valley. Most likely one of the most spectacular hikes in the USA.

Here ae two photos. The beach shot with the waterfall in the background is te final destination.

The waterfall is a shower used for cleaning up after a difficult hike. And there is a wet cave which is spectacular and a dry cave where most hikers stay during inclement weather.

And you can even hunt for wild pigs if so inclined.

GO4 sees this spectacular coastline from his ship once a week I believe, but you gotta hike it to really see its beauty.
Lots of people on my ship with "safety fat" and yes Na Pali coast is stunningly beautiful never get tired of seeing it every week.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
I'm sure that technology where you can grow your own cartilage is coming along if not already possible. I'm just suspicious that it won't be brought to market because it will put all those fake knees out of business and make a dent in pain killer both OTC and prescription.

Most likely the sad truth.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »

Thanks for the explanation about safety fat. Do you agree with this theory? Have you ever been sick enough that it caused you to use your safety fat to get well? Is it okay to shed safety fat when getting into bodybuilding competition condition?

My current weight fluctuates between 172 lbs and 178 lbs. I assume most of the gain or loss is water weight. It is rare that I get sick, but when I do, my metabolism slows down. I do not remember ever losing weight because I was ill. At 29 years of age I reached my maximum weight, which was 225 lbs. I hate to admit it, but too much of it was safety fat and not muscle.  During that time, my day to day fluctuation in weight was higher than it is now.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »

It's good that you survived. Some people don't when they try to do more than their bodies can take. I cannot tell you how many times someone has gone missing on Mt. Hood or in the Cascades and no one had a clue where they were or that they'd gone hiking. Always, always give someone your itinerary when taking such a trek. You know better than to go out like you did, on your own and with nobody knowing where you were. Are emergency transmitters failsafe? Cell phones often become useless, either because the battery craps out or there's no signal. 

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »

get yourself a pad of fluro pink post it notes and some long thumb tacs to mark your trail next time. My sister does this and does some crazy hikes in weird places.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »

I carry some safety fat on an otherwise muscular body. Solid and strong.

"Safety fat" on human body don't exist , any fat is NOT healthy.

In reality , Cornutto could not sprint 100m  :D.