Author Topic: Oh Brother... The World Body Building Guild is back  (Read 1852 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Oh Brother... The World Body Building Guild is back
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:01:55 AM »
It seems Dan Lurie's World Body Building Guild is back with its first competition with Jack London as guest poser.   Here's a link to the new Muscle Training Illustrated web site. http://www.muscletrainingillustrated.com/Events.asp

WBBG History
World Bodybuilding Guild. A bodybuilding federation, founded in 1966 until its demise in the late 1970's. Sponsored events like the Pro Mr. America, the Mr. World, the Mr. Olympus, etc. Dan Lurie was the president of the Guild and publisher of Muscle Training Illustrated.
and keep moving!

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Re: Oh Brother... The World Body Building Guild is back
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:05:53 AM »
Max_Rep,

I noticed some of your comments here:

http://www.getbig.com/news/2004-01/040125sonny.htm

Here is the link to the thread which was originally on getbig:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1074988207

Before the board got hacked in 2004.  :-\
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:08:16 AM »
Max_Rep,

I noticed some of your comments here:

http://www.getbig.com/news/2004-01/040125sonny.htm

Here is the link to the thread which was originally on getbig:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1074988207

Before the board got hacked in 2004.  :-\

Okay so the second link doesn't work. Is there a question Matt?
and keep moving!

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:34:26 AM »
Okay so the second link doesn't work. Is there a question Matt?

What did you think of Sonny?  Also, it sounds like you don't care for Jack London being the guest poster.  ???
Bodybuilding Pro.com

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:51:49 AM »
What did you think of Sonny?  Also, it sounds like you don't care for Jack London being the guest poster.  ???

Matt, you have an extensive knowledge of bodybuilding.  Excuse my ignorance, but is  the Sonny you refer to, Sonny Schmidt?  What is your opinion of Jack London?

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 02:57:02 AM »
Matt, you have an extensive knowledge of bodybuilding.  Excuse my ignorance, but is  the Sonny you refer to, Sonny Schmidt?  What is your opinion of Jack London?

Yes, Sonny Schmidt.  Great bodybuilder in my opinion.  8)  Apparently he could eat more than Lee Priest and lent Milos' sister $5,000 one time when she needed it.

I think Jack is a good bodybuilder.  In his prime he had a good amount of muscle and was cut - his physique was not as round and flowing as some other bodybuilders, but I think he looked ok.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:57:42 AM »
dammit MattC, stop worrying about Sonny and get to ripping my DVDs  >:(

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 03:01:41 AM »
Yes, Sonny Schmidt.  Great bodybuilder in my opinion.  8)  Apparently he could eat more than Lee Priest and lent Milos' sister $5,000 one time when she needed it.

I think Jack is a good bodybuilder.  In his prime he had a good amount of muscle and was cut - his physique was not as round and flowing as some other bodybuilders, but I think he looked ok.

Interesting stuff.  Is it true that Sonny did a stint in the can?  If so, what for?

Sad he died so young.  I know he had a loving family.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »

I didn't know Sonny and never met him. I think he was a great bodybuilder. I remember when he passed we had a thread going on here and those that did know him chimed in and said he was a good guy. When “we” as a community (the bodybuilding community) loose someone way to young, I’m always a bit taken back. I don’t know if you know my history but I almost died 5 years ago (I’m completely recovered and healthy now) so it always reminds me of how damn lucky I am. Also 4 months after my “incident” a girl I was a friend with since 1st grade passed away. She lived about 25 miles up the Coast and right on the way to my client’s (IRONMAN Magazine) offices so we talked about getting together but it never happened.

As far as Jack London no I don’t have any kind of a problem with him being a guest poser but the WBBG closed in the late 70’s. So did the magazine. Then Dan Lurie shows up a few years ago with this online magazine and now this attempt at a comeback and I’m wondering with Jack having competed in the PDI if somehow the PDI and WBBG are connected.   
and keep moving!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 10:27:17 AM »
Yes, they are connected...

Long live "Mr. Olympus"!!

RHINO290

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »
Yes, they are connected...

Long live "Mr. Olympus"!!

Funny, anyone ever notice, anytime my name comes up, Chick is there to comment.

I think Chick has a mancrush on me.....

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 10:48:52 AM »

I didn't know Sonny and never met him. I think he was a great bodybuilder. I remember when he passed we had a thread going on here and those that did know him chimed in and said he was a good guy. When “we” as a community (the bodybuilding community) loose someone way to young, I’m always a bit taken back. I don’t know if you know my history but I almost died 5 years ago (I’m completely recovered and healthy now) so it always reminds me of how damn lucky I am. Also 4 months after my “incident” a girl I was a friend with since 1st grade passed away. She lived about 25 miles up the Coast and right on the way to my client’s (IRONMAN Magazine) offices so we talked about getting together but it never happened.

As far as Jack London no I don’t have any kind of a problem with him being a guest poser but the WBBG closed in the late 70’s. So did the magazine. Then Dan Lurie shows up a few years ago with this online magazine and now this attempt at a comeback and I’m wondering with Jack having competed in the PDI if somehow the PDI and WBBG are connected.   

I met him once.  He came to the Grand Opening party of the Gold's in Honolulu.  He was a big dude.  Really nice too.  Too bad about him

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 09:36:48 PM »
I met him once.  He came to the Grand Opening party of the Gold's in Honolulu.  He was a big dude.  Really nice too.  Too bad about him

What year was that?  Here is Sonny exactly one week before he turned 47!  How long did he stay jacked for?

Bodybuilding Pro.com

Weez

• Getbig III
  • stronger than dirt
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »
Having Rhino "guest posing" at your show, would be like having Scott Baio, and Willie Ames discussing acting on A&E's The Actor's Studio.
Cam ad mi