Author Topic: Ebola has come to America - CDC confirms first case.  (Read 40558 times)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Re: Ebola has come to America - CDC confirms first case.
« Reply #375 on: October 27, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
The graphic below is for Beach Bum.

Don't be scared, Homie:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #376 on: October 27, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
I cannot see that thing. 

But you just stick with your "it's not very contagious" viewpoint.  I'll roll with the medical professionals I've talked to.  I really am embarrassed for you.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #377 on: October 27, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
I cannot see that thing.  

But you just stick with your "it's not very contagious" viewpoint.  I'll roll with the medical professionals I've talked to.  I really am embarrassed for you.

LOL.  Well, then you seem to be as inclined to be mistakenly embarrassed as you do to be mistakenly fearful.

Can't see the graphic?  (That's reminiscent of you telling other folks that you haven't read their articles, lol.)

Not sure why you can't see the graphic but I'll describe it for you:
It's an XY graph.  

Along the "X" axis (the horizontal one) it has 5 ranges that indicate the contagiousness of different contagious diseases.  

From least contagious on the left to most contagious on the right, the 5 categories are:
1. Not Very (contagious)
2. Quite (contagious)
3. Very (contagious)
4. Highly  (contagious)
5. Vaccinate Now!

Along the "Y" axis (the vertical one) it measures how deadly the disease is via a percentage from 0 (at the bottom) to 100% (at the top) that represents the mortality rate.  

The graph shows Ebola as having a mortality rate of 70% which makes it the 3rd deadliest disease on the graph behind only untreated HIV (80%) and untreated Rabies (100%).

The graph shows Ebola as being only "Quite Contagious", though.  More contagious than Cholera, MRSA, Rabies, or Syphilis but less contagious than Tuberculosis, Seasonal Flu, Hepatitis B, Chicken Pox, the Mumps, the Measles, and Malaria.

It's just not very contagious.  

Apparently, even if one is infected, it's not contagious during the incubation stage when one is not yet showing signs of illness.  Do you doubt this?  

I mean, use your noodle and figure it out for yourself:  Look, the doctor in New York even fucked his girlfriend when he arrived back in in the USA (while infected but before showing signs of illness) and she's tested negative so far.  

Also, the very first guy, the black guy Thomas Eric Duncan who ended up dying, presumably fucked his girlfriend and had close contact with her 5 kids when he stayed with them when he got back to Dallas and none of them have contracted the disease.

Now quit being needlessly fearful.  Even if you're just exaggerating your fears in order to troll for reactions, it's still pretty freakin' lame and you should stop.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #378 on: October 27, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
:-[

I have been saying this over and over and over, it's not. It's a zoonotic disease that requires active sickness and close contact. The problem is that it kills so quick once infection takes hold that contagion is minimized.

You are wrong

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »
LOL.  Well, then you seem to be as inclined to be mistakenly embarrassed as you do to be mistakenly fearful.

Can't see the graphic?  (That's reminiscent of you telling other folks that you haven't read their articles, lol.)

Not sure why you can't see the graphic but I'll describe it for you:
It's an XY graph.  

Along the "X" axis (the horizontal one) it has 5 ranges that indicate the contagiousness of different contagious diseases.  

From least contagious on the left to most contagious on the right, the 5 categories are:
1. Not Very (contagious)
2. Quite (contagious)
3. Very (contagious)
4. Highly  (contagious)
5. Vaccinate Now!

Along the "Y" axis (the vertical one) it measures how deadly the disease is via a percentage from 0 (at the bottom) to 100% (at the top) that represents the mortality rate.  

The graph shows Ebola as having a mortality rate of 70% which makes it the 3rd deadliest disease on the graph behind only untreated HIV (80%) and untreated Rabies (100%).

The graph shows Ebola as being only "Quite Contagious", though.  More contagious than Cholera, MRSA, Rabies, or Syphilis but less contagious than Tuberculosis, Seasonal Flu, Hepatitis B, Chicken Pox, the Mumps, the Measles, and Malaria.

It's just not very contagious.  

Apparently, even if one is infected, it's not contagious during the incubation stage when one is not yet showing signs of illness.  Do you doubt this?  

I mean, use your noodle and figure it out for yourself:  Look, the doctor in New York even fucked his girlfriend when he arrived back in in the USA (while infected but before showing signs of illness) and she's tested negative so far.  

Also, the very first guy, the black guy Thomas Eric Duncan who ended up dying, presumably fucked his girlfriend and had close contact with her 5 kids when he stayed with them when he got back to Dallas and none of them have contracted the disease.

Now quit being needlessly fearful.  Even if you're just exaggerating your fears in order to troll for reactions, it's still pretty freakin' lame and you should stop.

Unless it's an issue with my computer, I'm sure anyone looking at the graphic you posted can see it has microscopic print.  I'm not straining to try and read that crap.  

As others have said in other threads, just because you repeatedly say something doesn't make it true.  

You need to use your common sense.  Why the heck are they dressed in hazardous material suits and quarantine people who get this disease?  Is that because it's "just not very contagious"?  I mean really.  How incredibly stupid is that??  

I've talked to enough medical people to conclude (along with my own common sense) that this is very contagious, deadly, etc.  

But hey you go right ahead and believe it's "not very contagious."  The medical community disagrees with you.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
I have been saying this over and over and over, it's not. It's a zoonotic disease that requires active sickness and close contact. The problem is that it kills so quick once infection takes hold that contagion is minimized.

You are wrong

I'm rolling with the docs I have talked to about this. 

So no comment on the fact rabies deaths in the U.S. are essentially zero, and that it is absolutely treatable?  Doesn't that contradict what you said? 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
I'm rolling with the docs I have talked to about this. 

So no comment on the fact rabies deaths in the U.S. are essentially zero, and that it is absolutely treatable?  Doesn't that contradict what you said? 

Its not treatable except for a very invasive procedure after the transmission. Once infection starts, or the virus gets in the nervous system you are dead, unlike ebola which as we have seen is absolutely treatable. The only fucking case of rabies cure is from a guy who induced a coma in a patient. Regardless, like most matters I will be proven right and you wrong over time.

Ebola deaths in america are essentially zero, ebola deaths worldwide are less then rabies, next argument? any more arguments from authority? I have talked to so and so, who cares, facts are facts.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »
Unless it's an issue with my computer, I'm sure anyone looking at the graphic you posted can see it has microscopic print.  I'm not straining to try and read that crap.  

As others have said in other threads, just because you repeatedly say something doesn't make it true.  

You need to use your common sense.  Why the heck are they dressed in hazardous material suits and quarantine people who get this disease?  Is that because it's "just not very contagious"?  I mean really.  How incredibly stupid is that??  

I've talked to enough medical people to conclude (along with my own common sense) that this is very contagious, deadly, etc.  

But hey you go right ahead and believe it's "not very contagious."  The medical community disagrees with you.  

Dude, you can get reading glasses for a nominal fee (heh heh) at your neighborhood drugstore.

No, BB, the medical community disagrees with you.  Ebola is contagious but it's not very contagious.

The precautions folks are taking aren't because of the disease's contagiousness, it's because of its mortality rate.  Otherwise folks would wear those hazmat suits around folks with chicken pox and the mumps.  Folks where you're from don't do that, do they?  lol

Seriously, the suits are worn because even if it's just a little bit contagious, the mortality rate is so high that even in the unlikely event that you contract the disease, it has a good chance to kill you.  And since most of us don't want to die...

It's like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle.  Yeah, it's not super likely that I'll crash on any given ride, but just in case I do, I'm gonna try not to die.

You sure you're not just trolling so there's more activity on this board?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »
Its not treatable except for a very invasive procedure after the transmission. Once infection starts, or the virus gets in the nervous system you are dead, unlike ebola which as we have seen is absolutely treatable. The only fucking case of rabies cure is from a guy who induced a coma in a patient. Regardless, like most matters I will be proven right and you wrong over time.

Ebola deaths in america are essentially zero, ebola deaths worldwide are less then rabies, next argument? any more arguments from authority? I have talked to so and so, who cares, facts are facts.

Rabies is a more deadly virus, that's for sure.  maybe you are unaware of the lives it took before vaccination or how many it still takes. Once infected you are dead, 100% fatality, there is nothing you can do unless you catch it right away. It's also another zoonotic disease so it compares well. these people are eating bush meat aka the resevoir and getting sick, it rarely jumps without this,somewhat like rabies. It's not a crazy comparison and I was using it to highlight that this is not the most deadly virus on earth, it just isnt'.

What about the comparison is off? rabies is the worst way you can die, it's seriously vile. it kills tens of thousands of people each year.

Wrong. 

"The number of rabies-related human deaths in the United States has declined from more than 100 annually at the turn of the century to one or two per year in the 1990's. Modern day prophylaxis has proven nearly 100% successful."

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/index.html?s_cid=cs_521

Yes, I believe the docs I have talked to about this over some dude on the internet, especially some dude who admitted he just comes on the board to troll. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #384 on: October 27, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »
Dude, you can get reading glasses for a nominal fee (heh heh) at your neighborhood drugstore.

No, BB, the medical community disagrees with you.  Ebola is contagious but it's not very contagious.

The precautions folks are taking aren't because of the disease's contagiousness, it's because of its mortality rate.  Otherwise folks would wear those hazmat suits around folks with chicken pox and the mumps.  Folks where you're from don't do that, do they?  lol

Seriously, the suits are worn because even if it's just a little bit contagious, the mortality rate is so high that even in the unlikely event that you contract the disease, it has a good chance to kill you.  And since most of us don't want to die...

It's like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle.  Yeah, it's not super likely that I'll crash on any given ride, but just in case I do, I'm gonna try not to die.

You sure you're not just trolling so there's more activity on this board?

I see.  Haz mat suits and quarantine like nothing I have seen in recent memory in the U.S., the medical community running scared, the president and CDC all over it, governors on edge, but that's only because it will kill you if you get it, even though you're not going to get it.  Some twisted logic. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #385 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
I see.  Haz mat suits and quarantine like nothing I have seen in recent memory in the U.S., the medical community running scared, the president and CDC all over it, governors on edge, but that's only because it will kill you if you get it, even though you're not going to get it.  Some twisted logic. 

A lot of folks are easily scared.  There's a relatively popular cable news network that specializes in scaring folks that you may have heard of.  lol

Plus, a lot of us have seen the movie Outbreak and read books like The Stand and The Hot Zone.  (I've done all 3 and don't think I'm especially unique for it.)

Or maybe the weird fascination with zombies that's popped up in the last few years has something to do with it? 

Or maybe we can blame some of those fringe-y Christians with their apocalyptic "End of Times" concerns?

Why Americans seem to freak out so easily is an interesting question.  I support spending a few million on a study to find out why...as soon as we figure out why lesbians tend to be overweight.  lol

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #386 on: October 27, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »

Wrong.  

"The number of rabies-related human deaths in the United States has declined from more than 100 annually at the turn of the century to one or two per year in the 1990's. Modern day prophylaxis has proven nearly 100% successful."

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/index.html?s_cid=cs_521

Yes, I believe the docs I have talked to about this over some dude on the internet, especially some dude who admitted he just comes on the board to troll.  

Like you literally proved my point because you don't understand what you posted.

Againg once you are infected there is no cure, that is why it's rated the highest on RRkore's chart. Jesus are you just as arrogant in real life? you posted a fucking article talking about prophylaxsis, ie before infection, to disprove that once infected there is a treatment?

By doctors I assume you mean chiropractors because you are ill informed about matters on health as exemplified by your above botch.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #387 on: October 27, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »

Thats because they are handling the virus tit, why wouldnt they avoid infection at all costs? a sick person and a vile of ebola are also a bit different.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #388 on: October 27, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
A lot of folks are easily scared.  There's a relatively popular cable news network that specializes in scaring folks that you may have heard of.  lol

Plus, a lot of us have seen the movie Outbreak and read books like The Stand and The Hot Zone.  (I've done all 3 and don't think I'm especially unique for it.)

Or maybe the weird fascination with zombies that's popped up in the last few years has something to do with it? 

Or maybe we can blame some of those fringe-y Christians with their apocalyptic "End of Times" concerns?

Why Americans seem to freak out so easily is an interesting question.  I support spending a few million on a study to find out why...as soon as we figure out why lesbians tend to be overweight.  lol

Or how about the medical community and government officials are very concerned because this is a highly contagious, lethal disease, with no cure, that was once confined to Third World communities, but has now appeared here (and in Europe)?  Yeah, I'm going with that and not that stupid "Fox News" or trying to give cover to Obama nonsense. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #389 on: October 27, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
Like you literally proved my point because you don't understand what you posted.

Againg once you are infected there is no cure, that is why it's rated the highest on RRkore's chart. Jesus are you just as arrogant in real life? you posted a fucking article talking about prophylaxsis, ie before infection, to disprove that once infected there is a treatment?

By doctors I assume you mean chiropractors because you are ill informed about matters on health as exemplified by your above botch.

lol.  What.  lol  Dude.  You claimed rabies is more deadly than Ebola and that "Once infected you are dead, 100% fatality, there is nothing you can do unless you catch it right away."  I gave you link to the CDC that directly contradicts what you said. 

I talked to the head of one of the largest medical practice groups in Hawaii.  He's much smarter than you.  :)

But I do know a very pretty and successful chiropractor.  Not sure she knows anything about Ebola. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #390 on: October 27, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »
Thats because they are handling the virus tit, why wouldnt they avoid infection at all costs? a sick person and a vile of ebola are also a bit different.

Dude.  Please stay in Canada. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
lol.  What.  lol  Dude.  You claimed rabies is more deadly than Ebola and that "Once infected you are dead, 100% fatality, there is nothing you can do unless you catch it right away."  I gave you link to the CDC that directly contradicts what you said. 

I talked to the head of one of the largest medical practice groups in Hawaii.  He's much smarter than you.  :)

But I do know a very pretty and successful chiropractor.  Not sure she knows anything about Ebola. 

FWIW, the chart I posted (that others can see but you can't) shows that "untreated Rabies" has a higher mortality rate than Ebola.  Per the chart, "untreated HIV" does, too.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »
Or how about the medical community and government officials are very concerned because this is a highly contagious, lethal disease, with no cure, that was once confined to Third World communities, but has now appeared here (and in Europe)?  Yeah, I'm going with that and not that stupid "Fox News" or trying to give cover to Obama nonsense. 

No one is saying that Ebola isn't something to be concerned about.  The level of concern is all we're quibbling about here.  And let's face it, there are dozens and dozens of things that threaten the average American's health more than Ebola.

You're misrepresenting the facts when you decide to call it "highly" contagious vs just contagious.  There are lots of illnesses more contagious than Ebola though few as lethal.

I mean, c'mon, what do you call chicken pox, then?:  Super-duper-double contagious?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
lol.  What.  lol  Dude.  You claimed rabies is more deadly than Ebola and that "Once infected you are dead, 100% fatality, there is nothing you can do unless you catch it right away."  I gave you link to the CDC that directly contradicts what you said.  

Is this a new form of arguing on this board? Just post some info that contains words related to your point, then interpret it -however incorrectly- you want?

Right in the link you posted, they define rabies prophylaxis as a "vaccination". As in being treated for exposure to a disease prior to being infected with a disease. As in not infected yet. As in exactly what Necrosis said.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #394 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »
No one is saying that Ebola isn't something to be concerned about.  The level of concern is all we're quibbling about here.  And let's face it, there are dozens and dozens of things that threaten the average American's health more than Ebola.

You're misrepresenting the facts when you decide to call it "highly" contagious vs just contagious.  There are lots of illnesses more contagious than Ebola though few as lethal.

I mean, c'mon, what do you call chicken pox, then?:  Super-duper-double contagious?

You're concerned about this? That isn't the impression you and others are giving at all.  People are being really flip about the whole thing.  I don't think there needs to be mass hysteria.  It also shouldn't be politicized.  But when very smart people are concerned, I pay attention.  A few dudes on the internet?  Not so much.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #395 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
Is this a new form of arguing on this board? Just post some info that contains words related to your point, then interpret it -however incorrectly- you want?

Right in the link you posted, they define rabies prophylaxis as a "vaccination". As in being treated for exposure to a disease prior to being infected with a disease. As in not infected yet. As in exactly what Necrosis said.

Actually, the link said it's treatable.  There isn't a 100 percent kill rate as he claimed.  Plus you have to be bitten by a wild animal or a rabid dog.  Pretty bad comparison if you ask me.

Next we'll be comparing Ebola to aspirin, since aspirin kills more people in the U.S. than Ebola.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #396 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
Actually, the link said it's treatable.  There isn't a 100 percent kill rate as he claimed.  Plus you have to be bitten by a wild animal or a rabid dog.  Pretty bad comparison if you ask me.

Next we'll be comparing Ebola to aspirin, since aspirin kills more people in the U.S. than Ebola.

Nowhere in that link does it say rabies is treatable. It says that it is preventable if you begin treatment before you are infected. Once you are infected, the kill rate is practically 100%. The only survivors of actual infection listed in that link were people who had pre-exposure prophylaxis. Necrosis very clearly stated that he was talking about infection, not exposure.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »

It doesnt contradict what I said you imbecile, vaccines (prophylaxsis) ie before infection have cured it in the developed world for the most part. He is not smarter then me if he is saying what you are saying. I don't care about your arguments from authority, you have made yourself look like an ass and are now doubling down on it. My statment stands.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2014, 06:02:50 AM »

It's a great comparison, Ebola is a zoonotic disease like rabies, it is very deadly like rabies, it has poor communicability like ebola. It actually is more transmissible as the vector (animals, same in both cases) is actively agitated and aggressive, whereas the ebola is generally started with consumption of infected meat.

Rabies kills far more people yearly as well.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2014, 06:06:39 AM »
Nowhere in that link does it say rabies is treatable. It says that it is preventable if you begin treatment before you are infected. Once you are infected, the kill rate is practically 100%. The only survivors of actual infection listed in that link were people who had pre-exposure prophylaxis. Necrosis very clearly stated that he was talking about infection, not exposure.

just FYI there was a girl who survived, it was quite the treatment. She was placed in a coma long enough to allow her body to form antibodies and kill the virus, then she was brought back, albeit not quite the same. The treatment was attempted again in China I beleive and failed brutally, the man formed no defense and just died in a coma.