Author Topic: Mary Cheney Publicly Defends Her Pregnancy  (Read 5690 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Mary Cheney Publicly Defends Her Pregnancy
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »
If he doesn't want people involved in his life... Stay out of theirs.
I agree, it's as simple as that

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »
Hypocrite = "a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually posses, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs."

Hypocrisy = "a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess."  

Cheney having a lesbian daughter doesn't fall under either definition.  

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 05:34:26 PM »
Hypocrite = "a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually posses, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs."

Hypocrisy = "a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess." 

My original statement was in regards to him wanting to be in your business, but you stay out of his.

Although... he is totally against Gay people and yet does not shun his daughter, that too is hypocritical don't you think?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 05:40:25 PM »

Cheney having a lesbian daughter but not doing anything about it, does fall under both definitions IMO.

I am very pro gay and all, but I'm trying to not make this about Gay rights.

I think Alan Keyes, kicking out his daughter, is acting in line with his political beliefs.

Either Cheney needs to change his beliefs, or his family situation IMO.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 05:46:29 PM »
My original statement was in regards to him wanting to be in your business, but you stay out of his.

Although... he is totally against Gay people and yet does not shun his daughter, that too is hypocritical don't you think?

I don't know that he is against homosexuals.  He opposes granting special rights to homosexuals.  There is nothing hypocritical about opposing a lifestyle choice and loving your kid.  He probably doesn't embrace his daughter's lifestyle, but he embraces her.  That's actually very consistent with being a Christian.  (Not sure if Cheney is a Christian.)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »
Cheney having a lesbian daughter but not doing anything about it, does fall under both definitions IMO.

I am very pro gay and all, but I'm trying to not make this about Gay rights.

I think Alan Keyes, kicking out his daughter, is acting in line with his political beliefs.

Either Cheney needs to change his beliefs, or his family situation IMO.

-Hedge

What beliefs does he need to change? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »
I don't know that he is against homosexuals.  He opposes granting special rights to homosexuals.  There is nothing hypocritical about opposing a lifestyle choice and loving your kid.  He probably doesn't embrace his daughter's lifestyle, but he embraces her.  That's actually very consistent with being a Christian.  (Not sure if Cheney is a Christian.)

I thought it was "equal rights", never heard them say they were "special" before.

Cheney not a Christian? Come on... he's with "W" right?

As far as Christianity is concerned... Christians still say homosexuality is evil... but he's letting evil into his life... Somewhere there's some hypocracy in there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »
I thought it was "equal rights", never heard them say they were "special" before.

Cheney not a Christian? Come on... he's with "W" right?

As far as Christianity is concerned... Christians still say homosexuality is evil... but he's letting evil into his life... Somewhere there's some hypocracy in there.

Actually, it's the act that is sinful and Christianity teaches to hate the sin and love the sinner.  Not enough Christians do this, unfortunately. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 05:56:07 PM »
He probably doesn't embrace his daughter's lifestyle, but he embraces her.  That's actually very consistent with being a Christian.  (Not sure if Cheney is a Christian.)

Good point.

One thing he could've done, which would've made sense, is to critisise her and her "husband" (?) for getting that kid.

But you're making a valid point.

After all, you should love thy enemies, right? ;)

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2007, 08:22:51 AM »
Mary Cheney defends same-sex parenthood
Vice president's lesbian daughter says baby not 'prop'

(02-02) 04:00 PST New York -- Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney, has for the first time publicly defended her decision to become pregnant and asserted that same-sex couples were equally capable of raising children as heterosexual couples.

"When Heather and I decided to have a baby, it wasn't going to be the most popular decision ever," Cheney said, referring to her partner of 15 years, Heather Poe.

She then gestured to her middle -- any bulge was disguised by a boxy jacket -- and asserted: "This is a baby. This is a blessing from God. It is not a political statement. It is not a prop to be used in a debate by people on either side of an issue. It is my child."

Cheney, 37, was speaking Wednesday at Barnard College in Manhattan in a panel discussion sponsored by Glamour magazine. The baby, whose sex she has not revealed publicly, is due this spring and will be the sixth grandchild for the vice president and his wife.

Cheney, who is vice president for consumer advocacy for AOL and lives in Virginia, has not said how she became pregnant.

Her father became testy last week during a CNN interview when the host, Wolf Blitzer, asked what he thought of conservatives -- specifically James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family -- who are critical of his daughter's pregnancy.

In refusing to answer, the vice president told his interviewer: "I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Mary Cheney said in a brief interview after the panel discussion that she was not speaking for her father, but that when she saw the interview, she also felt Blitzer had crossed a line. "He was trying to get a rise out of my father," she said.

Glamour editor Cindi Leive asked Cheney whether she had anything to say to critics like Dobson.

He wrote in Time magazine in December that years of social research "indicates that children do best on every measure of well-being when raised by their married mother and father." He also wrote that his group believes that "birth and adoption are the purview of married heterosexual couples." Two of the researchers whom Dobson cited in his article have complained that Dobson distorted their views and said they disagreed with his conclusions.

Cheney agreed the research was distorted. "Every piece of remotely responsible research that has been done in the last 20 years on this issue has shown there is no difference between children who are raised by same-sex parents and children who are raised by opposite-sex parents," she said. "What matters is that children are raised in a stable, loving environment."

Page A - 6
URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/02/MNG0KNTHP11.DTL

If she believes that same-sex couples are equally capable of raising children as heterosexual couples and her father is supporting her and the impending child, he must believe that as well.  Why doesn't he take on her conservative critics?  Through his behavior he is essentially saying that gays and lesbians should have no equal/parental rights--except for his daughter and her lover.  So much for standing on principle.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2007, 09:26:31 AM »

She then gestured to her middle -- any bulge was disguised by a boxy jacket -- and asserted: "This is a baby. This is a blessing from God. It is not a political statement. It is not a prop to be used in a debate by people on either side of an issue. It is my child."

Cheney, 37, was speaking Wednesday at Barnard College in Manhattan in a panel discussion sponsored by Glamour magazine.

:-\  So she is invited to speak on a public panel, solely because she is the pregnant lesbian daughter of a conservative vice president, and her baby is not a prop?  Okkaaaayyyyy.

I find the attacks on Cheney sort of amusing.  On one hand, he is a "hypocrite" for not publicly condemning his daughter (rather than just her behavior).  On the other hand, he would be a heartless, terrible father if he disowned her like Alan Keyes did with his daughter.  Nothing inconsistent there.   ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »
:-\  So she is invited to speak on a public panel, solely because she is the pregnant lesbian daughter of a conservative vice president, and her baby is not a prop?  Okkaaaayyyyy.

I find the attacks on Cheney sort of amusing.  On one hand, he is a "hypocrite" for not publicly condemning his daughter (rather than just her behavior).  On the other hand, he would be a heartless, terrible father if he disowned her like Alan Keyes did with his daughter.  Nothing inconsistent there.   ::)

I wouldn't judge him for being consistent. I've never claimed Keyes to be a terrible father or a hypocrite, or inconsistent with his political beliefs.

I may not agree with Keyes views on teh faggotrism, but I give him credit for not just talking the talk, but also walking the walk.

The key issue is really: Who knows what Dick Cheney really thinks about gays?

Who would really trust him to be anti-Gay, when he's not condemning the way his daughter chooses to live?

That is really the only issue here for me.

Sure, Gay Rights can be debated forever.

But this whole "Do as I say, not as I do" pattern of Cheney, is what I find interesting, and a nice topic.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 07:21:17 AM »
Now that she has given birth do you opinionated conservatives still think Mary Cheney (and all other homosexuals) woke up one day and chose to be gay/lesbian?

Cheney’s Daughter Gives Birth to a Boy
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON, May 23 (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney’s daughter Mary delivered an 8-pound, 6-ounce boy on Wednesday, the first child for her and her partner of 15 years, Heather Poe.

Samuel David Cheney was born at 9:46 a.m. at Sibley Hospital here, the vice president’s office announced. Mr. Cheney and his wife, Lynne, visited their new — and sixth — grandchild a few hours later.

Mary Cheney announced in December that she and Ms. Poe had decided to start a family. Her decision to become pregnant and raise a child with Ms. Poe was criticized in some conservative circles. For example, James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, said children needed to be raised by heterosexual married couples.

The vice president bristled at questions on the topic.

Mary Cheney was an aide to her father in the 2004 campaign and now is vice president for consumer advocacy at AOL.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 07:39:04 AM »
Opposing gay rights doesn't mean you hate gays.   

Huh?  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »
Now that she has given birth do you opinionated conservatives still think Mary Cheney (and all other homosexuals) woke up one day and chose to be gay/lesbian?

As opposed to a conservative with no opinions?   :)

What does have Mary Cheney giving birth to a baby have to do with whether or not she was born a lesbian? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2007, 10:02:12 AM »
Definitely out of line IMO.  They are not questions asked because Blitzer has a genuine concern for Cheney and his daughter.  They are designed to expose some sort of hypocrisy.  Sounds pretty malicious to me. 

A reporter trying to expose hypocrisy in government officials?  We wouldn't want that!  Completely out of line for a "free" press.  ::)
Stick out your tongue.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 10:14:25 AM »
If Cheney himself was engaged in a homosexual lifestyle and spoke out against gays then he would be a hypocrite....like J Edgar Hoover, but Cheney, as much as i can;t stand him and think he's a warmongering greedy devil, can not be held accountable for the choices his daughter makes.

AE

• Getbig III
  • Retribution is Certain
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
Here's the new parents. Which one get to be the dad?  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 11:03:51 AM »
If Cheney himself was engaged in a homosexual lifestyle and spoke out against gays then he would be a hypocrite....like J Edgar Hoover, but Cheney, as much as i can;t stand him and think he's a warmongering greedy devil, can not be held accountable for the choices his daughter makes.

I agree. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
Here's the new parents. Which one get to be the dad?  :)

Don't cross Heather... She can kick your ass!  :-[

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2007, 11:56:26 PM »
Now that she has given birth do you opinionated conservatives still think Mary Cheney (and all other homosexuals) woke up one
I take you are saying that you're  not opinionated, right?    :P

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 08:47:37 PM »
she worked on cheneys campaign...she worked for a party that opposes same sex marriages..

you cant have 1 foot in and one foot out..simple..

Maybe because she's looking at the bigger picture? Fiscal conservatism, national defense, etc.

You don't have to be 100 percent on board with a political party to be affiliated with them.

Believe it or not there are gay conservatives.