Author Topic: How To Spend 30 Dollars Or Less In Groceries A Month!  (Read 17401 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Re: How To Spend 30 Dollars Or Less In Groceries A Month!
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
I never said disband the welfare benefits program, as a child I was a recipient of the program and I imagine my life would have been drastically different without it.

What I did say was you could use EBT cards at numerous fast food restaurants and you chimed in that there are specific requirements for that to happen (and that many fast food restaurants cannot process payments) to which I disagreed.

If there is an opportunity for a private business to receive government funds they will figure out a way to process payments, it is not that difficult, I shouldn’t have to explain that to you.

But you're saying you disagree even though that information was contained in a link you posted. You're saying that you disbelieve links you posted because of things you've observed, but the system that processes ebt is a unique system that is designed specifically to process EBT payment. It is called Quest. So a McDonalds can't just accept payment under the table, they'd need to have that system installed. And then, on top of that, welfare money can  be tracked to the dollar. If you wanted to know where it was being spent, you could get that information via a FOIA request. In the article you posted upthread, you can see that the writer was breaking down exact dollar amounts at exact locations.

But even aside from those things, I should've emphasized earlier that it wouldn't be a big deal to me even if that was the case. I was only pointing out the factual inaccuracy. It is an arbitrary rule that you can't get hot food with an ebt card. I think even some conservative politicians have acknowledged that. 

Also when you say most homeless/proverty programs are difficult to qualify for what are you basing this off of? The amount of people who’ve applied and been denied, the amount of homeless/poverty level people in relation to funds available for them or your experiences (as a social worker or as a applicant)?  Undoubtedly the programs are hard to get acceptance into when you see the amount of homelessness in the states but I’m curious to the actual numbers.
I am basing this off of my experiences working with low income/homeless programs. SNAP and food pantries are programs with the lowest barriers to entry, but when it comes to government subsidized and funded programs that I considered more impactful, the requirements were much more stringent and the acceptance rates were a lot lower. Housing programs had waitlists for years, drug programs wouldn't accept clients if they didn't believe their drug problems were serious enough(counselors would coach clients on how to emphasize and exaggerate issues), some programs would only accept clients if they already had jobs, even temporary shelter (like 15-30 day) was something that most males didn't bother pursuing  because it was so limited and (understandably) favored women and families. At a lot of temporary shelters, clients have to give up belongings either because they are considered unsafe or because there is a possession limit. At one of the drop-in centers I volunteered at there was a requirement to have a state issued ID just to enter, and I would estimate that at least half of the people who came to us were turned away because they didn't meet that requirement.

One person stealing 3/4 of a million dollars would indicate the system is being abused and misused. I don’t know what you would consider gross negligence and abuse for a private company but $750000 would qualify as that for almost anywhere except maybe Amazon or Walmart.
You can find fraud in any industry. Just a few posts above I mentioned how my debit card was recently skimmed. The asshole made $4300 worth of purchases before I was contacted by my bank.The amount of fraud the credit industry experiences annually is enormous and you could probably make a stronger argument that the system itself IS actually corrupt. The article you're referring to was not welfare users buying $750,000 worth of big macs, it was a guy stealing identities to steal SNAP users' benefits.

If you go into a chipotle when schools are letting out, you will see a few kids in line asking for cups so they can get water. The staff will always give it to them even though they know that the kids are just going to get soda. You can consider that fraud, but it's just the reality that some people will take advantage of the system and that they have to balance that with the level of customer service they provide everyone else.

That said I think we as a nation have a responsibility to help those who are less fortunate and I think as a people we do “try” to help those in need (you’d be hard pressed to find a retail store that isn’t asking you round your change up for a donation). But since you said it I’d argue that if a nonprofit showed the same amount of fraudulent behavior as our government run programs people would be in an uproar.

That said Vinces $30 a month budget is ridiculous and so is his claim of living on $15 a month within the last decade, especially when he had so much personal success in his private businesses.
Ok, so what are the points we're actually disagreeing on? Neither of us thinks Goodrum's approach would be ideal or that the program should be disbanded, but we seem to have different views on what constitutes a "widespread fraud" and "abuse" and what that says about the system?

eta I really did start out trying to keep this short.  ::)

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2020, 09:09:51 PM »
But you're saying you disagree even though that information was contained in a link you posted. You're saying that you disbelieve links you posted because of things you've observed, but the system that processes ebt is a unique system that is designed specifically to process EBT payment. It is called Quest. So a McDonalds can't just accept payment under the table, they'd need to have that system installed. And then, on top of that, welfare money can  be tracked to the dollar. If you wanted to know where it was being spent, you could get that information via a FOIA request. In the article you posted upthread, you can see that the writer was breaking down exact dollar amounts at exact locations.

But even aside from those things, I should've emphasized earlier that it wouldn't be a big deal to me even if that was the case. I was only pointing out the factual inaccuracy. It is an arbitrary rule that you can't get hot food with an ebt card. I think even some conservative politicians have acknowledged that. 

I am basing this off of my experiences working with low income/homeless programs. SNAP and food pantries are programs with the lowest barriers to entry, but when it comes to government subsidized and funded programs that I considered more impactful, the requirements were much more stringent and the acceptance rates were a lot lower. Housing programs had waitlists for years, drug programs wouldn't accept clients if they didn't believe their drug problems were serious enough(counselors would coach clients on how to emphasize and exaggerate issues), some programs would only accept clients if they already had jobs, even temporary shelter (like 15-30 day) was something that most males didn't bother pursuing  because it was so limited and (understandably) favored women and families. At a lot of temporary shelters, clients have to give up belongings either because they are considered unsafe or because there is a possession limit. At one of the drop-in centers I volunteered at there was a requirement to have a state issued ID just to enter, and I would estimate that at least half of the people who came to us were turned away because they didn't meet that requirement.
You can find fraud in any industry. Just a few posts above I mentioned how my debit card was recently skimmed. The asshole made $4300 worth of purchases before I was contacted by my bank.The amount of fraud the credit industry experiences annually is enormous and you could probably make a stronger argument that the system itself IS actually corrupt. The article you're referring to was not welfare users buying $750,000 worth of big macs, it was a guy stealing identities to steal SNAP users' benefits.

If you go into a chipotle when schools are letting out, you will see a few kids in line asking for cups so they can get water. The staff will always give it to them even though they know that the kids are just going to get soda. You can consider that fraud, but it's just the reality that some people will take advantage of the system and that they have to balance that with the level of customer service they provide everyone else.
Ok, so what are the points we're actually disagreeing on? Neither of us thinks Goodrum's approach would be ideal or that the program should be disbanded, but we seem to have different views on what constitutes a "widespread fraud" and "abuse" and what that says about the system?

eta I really did start out trying to keep this short.  ::)

Al what I orginally said was you can use an EBT card for fast food.  Thats it.

I suggested the program was open to every recipient.

You corrected me and said that only a select few can use the EBT for fast food and that most restaurants arent set up for Quest (And depending on what state you live in this is true). When I lived in Michigan its was very common for Fast Food restaurants to have signs in their windows that said "We accept Bridge/Snap Cards". My experience was that the program wasn't  restricted and today Michigan no longer offers a fast food program for EBT cards.

In California many chain restaurants accept the EBT card.

The question is does fast food purchase equate to a widespread abuse of the welfare system, the likely answer is no. But my original point was that EBT cards could be used for fast food and I implied it was available for everyone,  you corrected me and said it is a very limited program.

I think where we disagree is whether welfare reform is needed. I think there needs to be a review process for individuals who are "lifetime" members, although I do realize many of these people consist of unwed mothers with children who are dependents until they are 18 (as well as disabled people).  However I'm sure I have a simplified view of a complex issue.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »
I think where we disagree is whether welfare reform is needed. I think there needs to be a review process for individuals who are "lifetime" members, although I do realize many of these people consist of unwed mothers with children who are dependents until they are 18 (as well as disabled people).  However I'm sure I have a simplified view of a complex issue.

Cool, bro.  Interesting to see an opinion on getbig that didn't just boil down to "poor people are lazy and if they wanted to fix their lives, they would just do it."

Until this summer, I hadn't worked with any poverty-focused programs for about 4 or 5 years. As you can imagine, covid is really taking a toll on people at the bottom of the economic totem. I'm actually glad the stuff I've been doing for the last few months has not been administrative, because I think a lot of people are in hopeless situations right now. I'm not trying to make all poor people out as virtuous, but once someone's life begins to crumble, it's difficult to reverse that trajectory, especially starting off with very little. I see stories about guys who've had it all and then lost it, then regained it  and people will compare that to homeless/ severely impoverished people but there is a world of difference. Just having a state id and a couple hundred dollar credit line is something that is out of reach for a lot of them. One of my first long-term volunteer jobs included helping people (some homelss, many not) get ids who didn't have them. This was years ago, and in some cases it would take more than a year to gather all of the points for a state id. One of the fastest shortcuts was going through a program like SNAP or medicaid and that would give you a lot of points, but they'd still need to secure things like an original birth certificate and ss card. With the new federal id requirements, I don't think that shortcut is an option for a lot of situations.

I don't disagree with you that there should be some type of SNAP reform, but I also think that part of the reason it is a relatively lax program is because of the situations people who use it might be in. In one of your earlier posts I think you questioned how homeless people would get benefits. I actually don't think it would be a good thing to make it too difficult for people in tough situations to be approved. Obvs I'm a pussy-antifa-leftist liberal.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2020, 04:14:21 PM »
Meltdown.

I'm melting, melting. ;D Everything to you is a meltdown. If setting the record straight when someone denigrates my family is having a meltdown than so be it. If a person wants to disparage me, fine. Just leave my family out of it.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
what is amount folks on WIC or welfare get for monthly food pay outs?

guessing a few hundred per month? more with children

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
I'm melting, melting. ;D Everything to you is a meltdown. If setting the record straight when someone denigrates my family is having a meltdown than so be it. If a person wants to disparage me, fine. Just leave my family out of it.
Geriatric meltdown.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »
"The Goodrum Group was founded to help others achieve financial stability with money management, savings, acquiring wealth, and financial tips."

I was gonna post this:

I'm dying from laughter here! The "Goodrum Group", which is just some dude living in a used cardboard box, wants to help others achieve financial stability and acquiring wealth, something that the "founder" of the "Group", which is just some dude living in a used cardboard box, has never achieved himself?

Seriously, you have tips like "store eggs frozen for a few months" and "buy a sack of lentils, cook them 3 a time in a teaspoon of your salty tears and enjoy tasty savings!" your readers will be well on their way to a stable and secure financial future full of gourmet treats.

But then I read it and, honestly, I just have to ask: Vince, what's wrong with you? As one human to another, what is wrong with you?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2020, 01:58:31 AM »

When Shizzo says, "meltdown" just take it as he really has no coherent comeback or comment. He uses that word so often that for him it really has lost all meaning. I'm sure he will want to reply to this post with "meltdown" but because I already pointed it out maybe he won't -- but then again...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2020, 02:03:47 AM »
When Shizzo says, "meltdown" just take it as he really has no coherent comeback or comment. He uses that word so often that for him it really has lost all meaning. I'm sure he will want to reply to this post with "meltdown" but because I already pointed it out maybe he won't -- but then again...

You are a very, very wise person. Thanks for the good advice. I really appreciate it. Shizzo has his quirks, but then so do we all.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2020, 07:37:58 AM »
MELTDOWN.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »

Not only that...he can never unsuck that cock.

Never unsuck that cock.

Never.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2020, 09:04:20 AM »
Enjoy fellow Getbiggers

https://goodrumgroup.com/index.php/2020/12/06/how-to-spend-30-dollars-a-month-or-less-in-groceries/

If Michelle Obama and Condoleezza Rice had a baby together it would grow up to look like Melvin Goodrum.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »
what is amount folks on WIC or welfare get for monthly food pay outs?

guessing a few hundred per month? more with children

the average for a single person is 138 a month

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2020, 11:44:06 AM »
Don’t you have 6-8 people living together? Why in the world do you have your son, and wife, or whatever family members all living together? Are y’all bumming off each other? Welfare

Jeez

Bevo,

It used to be "the norm" for the parents, kids and grandparents to live together under 1 roof.
 "The Walton's" was based in that ideal and was one of the most beloved shows in TV history.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068149/

Obviously, during  "the 1930's depression" families had to pull together for economic reasons.
BUT, that was far from the only reason many families  live together.

I know this is getbig, but we should all nurture the relationships we share with family , friends and those we care about.
In that spirit, I wish you a safe and Merry Christmas.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2020, 11:49:57 AM »
MELTDOWN.

Other men's cocks has been in your mouth.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »

C'mon now , which one of us didn't want to be that "lucky cock" someday. ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »
C'mon now , which one of us didn't want to be that "lucky cock" someday. ;D

Only you.

You're just gross, man.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »
Only you.

You're just gross, man.

I guess you'll pass on a threeway, where Shizzo puts lipstick on my dipstick while you plow his fart locker?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2020, 02:31:26 PM »
Continue to believe what you want.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »
I guess you'll pass on a threeway, where Shizzo puts lipstick on my dipstick while you plow his fart locker?

I'm crying Howard. Goddamn this was filthy/funny.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
7 pages for a dumb ass thread where everbody knows damn well they aren`t gonna live on 30 bucks worth of food a fucking month.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2020, 05:33:28 PM »

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2020, 06:13:40 PM »
7 pages for a dumb ass thread where everbody knows damn well they aren`t gonna live on 30 bucks worth of food a fucking month.
That's Getbig. How's the Cancer situation going on?

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »

Bro, even I have limits to what I will post....

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2020, 07:51:50 PM »
"The Goodrum Group was founded to help others achieve financial stability with money management, savings, acquiring wealth, and financial tips."

I was gonna post this:

But then I read it and, honestly, I just have to ask: Vince, what's wrong with you? As one human to another, what is wrong with you?

This website is for my bitcoin/cryptocurrency business  that I run with Judi...I'm sure you folks remember her from Getbig as jaguarenterprises.   

The fact is that I would only be a failure if I wasn't a do nothing person.   I'm always working on new things and I enjoy what I do.   Its nice sitting in Bodas Cigar Lounge on a Sunday, having a fine cigar with a glass of wine watching the game while checking bets on my sportsbook along with updating my other websites.   

You laughed at me years ago mining bitcoin.....and it blew up
You laughed at my medical supply site.....then COV-19 happenned

Now you're laughing at my article...the same article that I've paid Facebook to run ads.  People will see it and click the link to visit the site just at the title.  Its a great way to market my business.   

You cannot succeed....if you never try.  Because I tried....I've now made over 100k for the first time in 15 years....and all from my singlewide home with my cheap looking websites..
A