Author Topic: Russians invade South Ossetia. Targetting civilians with bombardments.  (Read 3692 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/08/georgia.ossetia/index.html

Georgia's president said Friday that his country is under attack by Russian tanks and warplanes, and he accused Russia of targeting civilians as tensions over the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia appeared to boil over into full-blown conflict.

"All day today, they've been bombing Georgia from numerous warplanes and specifically targeting (the) civilian population, and we have scores of wounded and dead among (the) civilian population all around the country," President Mikhail Saakashvili told CNN in an exclusive interview.

"This is the worst nightmare one can encounter," he said.

Asked whether Georgia and Russia were now at war, he said, "My country is in self-defense against Russian aggression. Russian troops invaded Georgia."

About 150 Russian armored vehicles have entered South Ossetia, Saakashvili said, and Georgian forces had shot down two Russian aircraft.

Russia's Defense Ministry said it sent "reinforcements" to South Ossetia to help the Russian peacekeepers already stationed there.

The events followed an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council to discuss a dramatic escalation of violence in Georgia and South Ossetia. The session ended Friday morning without a statement about the fighting.

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) said it was sending an envoy to the region immediately.

NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer issued a statement Friday saying he was seriously concerned about the recent events in the region, and he called on all sides to end armed clashes and begin direct talks. Video Watch more about NATO's attempts to help Georgia »

Carmen Romero, a NATO spokeswoman speaking to CNN from Brussels, reiterated Scheffer's statement. She said NATO was in regular contact with Georgia's president and was talking to the Russian side.

Britain and the United States also urged all sides to bring an immediate end to the violence.

"The U.S. has been in discussions for many months with all parties to find a peaceful resolution," said White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe. "We urge all sides to refrain from violence and to begin direct talks."

Earlier Friday, Russian military aircraft dropped two bombs on Georgian territory, a Georgian official said, causing no casualties.

In a letter addressed to his "fellow citizens" Friday, Saakashvili said he had mobilized tens of thousands of reserve officers and that the mobilization continued.

"We must unite," Saakashvili wrote. "All of us, hundreds of thousands of Georgians here and abroad, should come together, unite, and fight to save Georgia. We are a freedom-loving people, and if our nation is united, no aggressor will be able to harm it."

Georgia declared a unilateral three-hour ceasefire at 3 p.m. to enable civilians to escape from the conflict zone, which so far was focused inside South Ossetia but included aerial targets inside Georgia, Saakashvili said.

"Clearly they don't really have boundaries in their activities," said Georgian Foreign Minister Eka Tkeshelashvili, in an interview with CNN. She said Russian aircraft had bombed "several villages" in Georgia outside of the South Ossetian territory.

Tkeshelashvili said Georgian authorities are still collecting information on casualties.

Georgia was appealing to the world for diplomatic intervention, she said, stressing that Georgia was not asking for military assistance.

Violence has been mounting in the region in recent days, with sporadic clashes between Georgian forces and South Ossetian separatists. South Ossetia declared its independence from Georgia in the early 1990s, but its independence is not internationally recognized.

Georgian troops launched new attacks in South Ossetia late Thursday after a top government official said a unilateral cease-fire offer was met with separatist artillery fire.

Alexander Lomaia, the secretary of Georgia's National Security Council, said Georgian troops were responding proportionately to separatist mortar and artillery attacks on two villages -- attacks he said followed the cease-fire and call for negotiations by Saakashvili.

Russia said a Georgian attack on a military barracks left a number of Russian peacekeepers dead.

"It's all very sad and alarming," Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said earlier in the day. "And, of course, there will be a response."

Putin was at a meeting with U.S. President Bush in Beijing, where they attended a luncheon for world leaders hosted by the Chinese president ahead of the Olympics, which begin Friday.

"There are lots of volunteers being gathered in the region, and it's very hard to withhold them from taking part. A real war is going on," Putin said, according to his spokesman, Dmitry Peskov.

Russian peacekeepers are in South Ossetia under a 1992 agreement by Russian, Georgian, and South Ossetian authorities to maintain what has been a fragile peace. The mixed peacekeeping force also includes Georgian and South Ossetian troops.

"The Georgian leadership has launched a dirty adventure," said a statement from Russia's Defense Ministry on Friday. "We will not leave our peacekeepers and Russian citizens unprotected."

Saakashvili said the Russian invasion of South Ossetia was pre-planned.

"These troops that are in Georgia now -- they didn't come unexpectedly," the president told CNN. "They had been amassing at the border for the last few months. They claimed they were staging exercises there and as soon as a suitable pretext was found, they moved in."

Georgia, located on the Black Sea coast between Russia and Turkey, has been split by Russian-backed separatist movements in South Ossetia and another region, Abkhazia.

I think this is where the apologists tell us how the USA is the only evil country in the world and that we target civilians, Russia and China are loving countries who show great respect towards human rights, love everyone equally, blah blah.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
Re: Russians invade South Ossetia. Targetting civilians with bombardments.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:44:40 AM »
I bet the Russian soldiers are pissed - it being a Friday afternoon and the Olympics being on the TV.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:49:55 AM »
Since the U.S. illegally invaded Iraq, they can't say shit without being hypocrites. 
!

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »
Since the U.S. illegally invaded Iraq, they can't say shit without being hypocrites. 

Nope, but I'd love to see the apologists who say that China, Russia and other countries never pull shit like this try to justify their statements. The same ones who imply that only the US invades other countries and that every other country in the world would love each other and take turns giving out blowjobs if the US left all their bases.

The USA didn't blindly target Iraqi civilians in their invasion, though. But the Russian's have excelled at that for decades.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:00:50 AM »
Nope, but I'd love to see the apologists who say that China, Russia and other countries never pull shit like this try to justify their statements. The same ones who imply that only the US invades other countries and that every other country in the world would love each other and take turns giving out blowjobs if the US left all their bases.
Not too sure who it is that ever stated your theory that other countries never start wars.  ??? Good luck finding a response to that question...maybe someone here will give a credible retort. To me, it's sounds like an overly simplistic and hyperbolic response to those who believe diplomacy is good and that and imperialist agenda is not always in America's best interests.
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/08/georgia.ossetia/index.html

Georgia's president said Friday that his country is under attack by Russian tanks and warplanes, and he accused Russia of targeting civilians as tensions over the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia appeared to boil over into full-blown conflict.

They can bomb georgia all they want.  But if they mess with florida, look out, bytches...

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 08:04:13 AM »
Not too sure who it is that ever stated your theory that other countries never start wars.  ??? Good luck finding a response to that question...maybe someone here will give a credible retort. To me, it's sounds like an overly simplistic and hyperbolic response to those who believe diplomacy is good and that and imperialist agenda is not always in America's best interests.

Decker, along with a few other posters, has stated and implied that the world would be all hunky dory if the USA pulled out of all foreign bases and even went so far as to allude to the delusion that Russia and China would not swoop in and clean shop if we were to leave.

Many people here appear to be under the delusion that the USA is the only country that invades, completely oblivious (most likely ignoring to further prove their point) that the majority of the other powers in the world have worse track records than us. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
all countries pull as much asshole stuff as the world will tolerate.

they do it, we do it.

what they're doing - hitting civilians - is pre-emptively killing insurgents, no?  Had we done this in iraq, al-sadr woudln't have been able to recruit so many folks, because people would have been at home tending to their wounded kin.

Russians tend to wound civvies intentionally to take the men out of it, remember?  Just like we tend to let attacks happen, lie about wmd, etc etc.

Everyone does the same F'ked up stuff.  Nobody has the high horse to criticize anyone for it.  "At least we dont..." is crybabyspeak at its worst.  They do fcked up stuff, we do fcked up stuff.  Now go eat your lunch.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 08:11:38 AM »
They can bomb georgia all they want.  But if they mess with florida, look out, bytches...

I would be up for invading Georgia. All those mint juleps, Southern belles, all talking like Scarlett O'Hara and the balmy Southern nights.

Sounds great.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
I would be up for invading Georgia. All those mint juleps, Southern belles, all talking like Scarlett O'Hara and the balmy Southern nights.

Sounds great.

rock n roll.  you step foot into FL and youll see one pissed off fat kid ready to glock your ass.

Glock as a verb... you like that one?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »

they do it, we do it.

what they're doing - hitting civilians - is pre-emptively killing insurgents, no?  Had we done this in iraq, al-sadr woudln't have been able to recruit so many folks, because people would have been at home tending to their wounded kin.

Russians tend to wound civvies intentionally to take the men out of it, remember?  Just like we tend to let attacks happen, lie about wmd, etc etc.

Everyone does the same F'ked up stuff.  Nobody has the high horse to criticize anyone for it.  "At least we dont..." is crybabyspeak at its worst.  They do fcked up stuff, we do fcked up stuff.  Now go eat your lunch.

Interesting. Instead of telling this to me, you should be telling it to the people who think that the US is the only one that does it and that Russia/China/other superpowers would never do any such thing again if we were to leave all our foreign bases.  :-X

Very intriguing that you're justifying the attacking of civilians.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:43:40 AM »

they do it, we do it.

So you agree that the people that only think the U.S. is "rotten" since we have to protect our interests with military, are delusional into thinking that only the U.S. uses military stances to confront issues?

I agree.

Perhaps those people only read a domestic newspaper or have never gone beyond United States borders.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:11:06 AM »

Sounds great.

rock n roll.  you step foot into FL and youll see one pissed off fat kid ready to glock your ass.

Glock as a verb... you like that one?

Rock n' Roll!
Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
الاسلام هو شيطانية

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
Interesting. Instead of telling this to me, you should be telling it to the people who think that the US is the only one that does it and that Russia/China/other superpowers would never do any such thing again if we were to leave all our foreign bases.  :-X

Very intriguing that you're justifying the attacking of civilians.

In war, you do what it takes to win.  If we could have wounded 1000 civvies in iraq in 2003, and it would have kept 2000 of our men alive because those 100 pricks laying IEDs were staying home wounded to the crippled---

FVCK yeah I'd support that.

Russia did that in afghanistan.  They dropped bombs disguised as toys.  But they didn't put enough explosive into them to kill.  Only enough to take off a limb.  Men stayed home to care for the crippled.

Is it evil?  hell yeah.  So is invading iraq for oil.  world is evil brah.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:13:34 AM »
So you agree that the people that only think the U.S. is "rotten" since we have to protect our interests with military, are delusional into thinking that only the U.S. uses military stances to confront issues?
I agree.
Perhaps those people only read a domestic newspaper or have never gone beyond United States borders.

We take their oil so we can live well.  I admit it, I can live with it.  Morally wrong, sure.  Way of the world.

Russia is doing the same thing.  They're fcking up georgia for their own reasons.

We're not 'rotten'... we're acting an a utilitarian national sense.  Cheney and Bush are doing a good job there.  It's the pillaging of treasury, ending middle class, and raping of constitution via pat act that i"m not happy with.  Take out as many oil-rich dictators as you must.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
Rock n' Roll!

Yep.  But when shit hits the fan, you can bet your ass I'd be pulling you to safety while gunning the fck out of whatever is coming at us.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »
In war, you do what it takes to win.  If we could have wounded 1000 civvies in iraq in 2003, and it would have kept 2000 of our men alive because those 100 pricks laying IEDs were staying home wounded to the crippled---

FVCK yeah I'd support that.

Russia did that in afghanistan.  They dropped bombs disguised as toys.  But they didn't put enough explosive into them to kill.  Only enough to take off a limb.  Men stayed home to care for the crippled.

Is it evil?  hell yeah.  So is invading iraq for oil.  world is evil brah.

Again, you don't need to explain this to me. I fully understand it. You should be directing this towards the people who are delusional enough to think that the USA is the big meany in the world, when half of the shit we pull isn't even close to some of the Russian/Chinese/other countries tactics.

Only pointing it out for all the retards that think the world would be one big happy place if the USA were to leave all its foreign bases, when I reckon it would be a lot worse with China and Russia running around unimpeded.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »
Rock n' Roll!

Although 240 seems like decent kind of chap, that pic never gets any less funny...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
Again, you don't need to explain this to me. I fully understand it. You should be directing this towards the people who are delusional enough to think that the USA is the big meany in the world, when half of the shit we pull isn't even close to some of the Russian/Chinese/other countries tactics.

Only pointing it out for all the retards that think the world would be one big happy place if the USA were to leave all its foreign bases, when I reckon it would be a lot worse with China and Russia running around unimpeded.

ah, the beauty of America is that those people have just as much right to be wrong about that, as the neocuunts here have the right to be completely wrong about "Iraq wasn't about oil - it was about making the iraqi people safe - we're not stealing oil, you CT nut!"

Both groups are delusional.  Both groups are out of touch with reality.  Far right, and far left.  Those of us in the middle - the global realists - understand that the utilitarian nature of international relations have nothing to do with the moral "ten commandments" mantras most of us follow.  We elect guys like dick, mccain, and obama to make those tough calls so we don't have to.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Russia attacks Georgia
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »

Washington - Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili said in a television interview on Friday that Russia was fighting a war with his country.

"We have Russian tanks moving in. We have continuous Russian bombardment since yesterday ... specifically targeting the civilian population," Saakashvili said in an interview with CNN.

Russia is fighting a war with us in our own territory."

Russian armour rolled into the South Ossetian capital Tskhinvali on Friday, RIA news agency quoted a source in the regional Russian military headquarters as saying.

"This was a very blunt Russian aggression. ... We are right now suffering because we want to be free and we want to be a multi-ethnic democracy," Saakashvili said in the interview.

"We are in this situation of self-defence against a big and mighty neighbour. We are a country of less than five million people and certainly our forces are not comparable," the president said.

Saakashvili also said it was in the United States' interest to help his country.

"It's not about Georgia anymore. It's about America, its values," he said. "We are a freedom-loving nation that is right now under attack."

Neither the White House or the Pentagon had any immediate reaction to the situation. The US Defence Department has less than 120 personnel in Georgia. They are involved in training Georgian forces.

Saakashvili said Georgian forces had shot down two Russian aircraft. "One of the aircraft was specifically attacking a civilian hospital wounding doctors and patients with no real purpose," he said.

Saakashvili said he witnessed a Russian air attack - two jets flying very low, looking for "a marketplace in a very busy afternoon, and hitting it, hitting the crowd of people".

Meanwhile, Russia's Defence Ministry said on Friday more than 10 of its troops deployed in South Ossetia have been killed amid a Georgian offensive in the breakaway region, Russian news agencies reported.

"Russian peacekeeping posts have come under fire from Georgian forces," Igor Konashenkov, a spokesperson for the head of Russia's armed forces, was quoted as saying.

"As a result, more than 10 soldiers have been killed and around 30 injured," he said. - Reuters-AFP

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Russia attacks Georgia
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 09:24:25 AM »
jpegs or it didn't happen.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 09:25:02 AM »
We elect guys like dick, mccain, and obama to make those tough calls so we don't have to.

So what is your view regarding the decisons of Obama in hiring 2 people from the Nation of Islam, a Muslim outreach director with ties to the terrorist organization MB, and a REV that preaches hate against whites, and the U.S., not to mention his calls to follow Louis Farrakhan. Do you think those are smart calls?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »
So what is your view regarding the decisons of Obama in hiring 2 people from the Nation of Islam, a Muslim outreach director with ties to the terrorist organization MB, and a REV that preaches hate against whites, and the U.S., not to mention his calls to follow Louis Farrakhan. Do you think those are smart calls?

Hell no.

Both candidates' teams are filled with corporate, elitist pricks bent on benefitting the rich, fooling the poor, and ending the middle class.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Russia attacks Georgia
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b26_1218094003

Here is some of the fighting leading up to things
I have been following this quite closely it looks like it can get messy quick.
Also in that part of the world there is no mercy for captured and hate always runs deep so I am sure it will be cruel.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 10:09:13 AM »
If true, I've got no problems with it.  :)
!