Author Topic: US Soldier now detainee of Taliban "I'm scared I won't be able to go home"  (Read 2028 times)

Mons Venus

Fox News is a cable station and can't talk....perhaps a guest said something, but other then that...UR FUCKING WRONG AS USUAL.

'Perhaps' my ass.  Hows the FREE college courses going?  ;)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
CGSC dude....CGSC.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

On Fox News yesterday, guest Ralph Peters, a retired Army Lt. Col., urged against leaping to conclusions. “I was to stress first of all that we must wait until all of the facts are in until we make a final judgment,” Peters said, but quickly added, “He is an apparent deserter,” “he is collaborating with the enemy,” and “we know that this private is a liar.” Peters then suggested that if Bergdahl is a deserter, the Taliban should kill him:
his exact words are "want to be clear. If, when the facts are in, we find out that through some convoluted chain of events, he really was captured by the Taliban, I’m with him. But, if he walked away from his post and his buddies in wartime, I don’t care how hard it sounds, as far as I’m concerned, the Taliban can save us a lot of legal hassles and legal bills."

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

Trolling, Stalking and Gimmickry all rolled into one.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Fox News is a cable station and can't talk....perhaps a guest said something, but other then that...UR FUCKING WRONG AS USUAL.
^THIS^

Faux Noise said it not me asshole! :-*
said what? all you posted what that A GUEST ON FOX NEWS IMPLIED IT yet you havent posted what the person said exactly not to mention it wasnt fox news...again you probably arent ok with crediting MSNBC with every nutjob thing said by guests on that channel are you?

try actually answering the questions every once and a while

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
his exact words are "But, if he walked away from his post and his buddies in wartime, I don’t care how hard it sounds, as far as I’m concerned, the Taliban can save us a lot of legal hassles and legal bills."

Yeah, there's only one way to interpret that comment.   

You're in denial if you don't think he said the dude should be killed.

Now it's just a FOX guest, not a fox host, but they should condemn this kinda talk.  Of course a military guy may feel this way about deserters.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
The Army has changed the story....for weeks it was "he walked away", now he fell back on a patrol...its possible but not likely. If he walked away I wouldn't say he was deserting, I'd say he was being an idiot.
L

GigantorX

• Getbig V
The Army has changed the story....for weeks it was "he walked away", now he fell back on a patrol...its possible but not likely. If he walked away I wouldn't say he was deserting, I'd say he was being an idiot.

Any background on this guy? Number of tours? Home life? Friends in-country? Wife? etc etc? anything that may have caused him to desert?It just seems a bit odd that one would "walk-off" and "desert" in a country like Afghanistan....wouldn't one know that just walking away would get you captured, tortured, paraded around, tortured again and then have your head sawed off with a rusty knife? :-\

Seriously.

I read somewhere yesterday, can't remember where, that he may have been drinking and then left with a bunch of Afghan soldiers. Not sure if it carries any weight but I think Yahoo News carried it.

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!

mons venus, are you an american living in america?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Any background on this guy? Number of tours? Home life? Friends in-country? Wife? etc etc? anything that may have caused him to desert?It just seems a bit odd that one would "walk-off" and "desert" in a country like Afghanistan....wouldn't one know that just walking away would get you captured, tortured, paraded around, tortured again and then have your head sawed off with a rusty knife? :-\

Seriously.

I read somewhere yesterday, can't remember where, that he may have been drinking and then left with a bunch of Afghan soldiers. Not sure if it carries any weight but I think Yahoo News carried it.

Thats the story I got more or less....now we're hearing he fell back on patrol...possible but unlikely.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i heard earlier this week he left his weapon and armor on base, then ventured out with new buddies, then got swiped up?

it's a weird story.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
This is from the milblogesphere with many reports that are coming from Afghanistan.....this gives backround on the soldier as was asked for in one of the posts.

As all who have been following this blog or following me on twitter know, I have been following this missing soldier issue ever sine it has happened. I have had multiple sources in and outside of Afghanistan feeding me info that I have pretty much been keeping to myself out of respect for the soldier’s safety, OPSEC, and the family.

A week or so ago my fried PJ Tobia put up a blog story about this soldier which told how it is referred in country by the soldiers as Operation Where’s Waldo. Of course that is not the official name of the operation looking for this soldier, but it is what all the troops on the ground have been calling it.

Within a day of putting up my posting which pointed to PJ’s, I took it down. In hindsight and after much consideration I decided to not spread the word on this yet. There was something in me that knew many, many family members of deployed service-members read this blog and I didn’t want my blog to be the conduit of more pain in this family’s life.

However now that the video is out and it is very clear that the soldier is not under any duress, stress, strain, etc. I think it is safe to call it like it is. I have said from the onset that this was a very fishy case and it did not add up.

After seeing the video, I feel even more so now. The rumors of desertion and walking off his base voluntarily have been out there for the last 10 days. The video speaks volumes if you know what to look for and I don’t mean having to be trained to read body language, etc. It is common sense.

He has no marks, no visible wounds, he is eating well (not scarfing it down), he is talking in a calm demeanor and overall looks very stress free. He is even sporting one nice looking Taliban haircut and beard. The Taliban and most in the rural areas of the mid-east shave with straight-razors. They don’t have Gillette and Schick out in the middle of nowhere. This kid’s head has been neatly shaved with a straight-razor yet he has no cuts, or scrapes. Even a twitch or a shake of the head would guarantee a slice of the scalp somewhere. So what that tells me is he was calm and still as they shaved his head. Just something to think about.

I know exactly the area he went missing and I know the base he went missing from very well. I, along with many others I am sure, are trying to figure out how he ended up getting off the base and nobody seeing this soldier with apparently no tactical gear walking in the open. I am sure there are a lot of questions being asked of his chain of command. Regardless of how this turns out for this soldier, I think there are many leaders in his unit who’s careers are over. I hope not (unless they are guilty of negligence). I think one must also look at the mental state of this soldier and evaluate if he ever showed signs that would cause those that know him to think he would be capable of this.

He came in the Army just one year ago. He enlisted in June of 2008, went to basic training, AIT, and airborne school before being assigned to the Geronimos of the 1/501st ABN. We now know he was home-schooled, and was very active in the ballet and in fencing. Not exactly the type of person that wants to excel and be part of a high-speed Airborne Infantry Unit, if you ask me. Could it be his fellow soldiers knew of his past and harassed him? Could they have made him feel like an outsider? Who knows, and really it does not matter as what he did (if desertion as PJ implies) is inexcusable. I am confident that as the past comes to light we will see this soldier demonstrated behavior that would be considered outside the norm.

I saw an AP report that stated this soldier lagged behind on a patrol and it implied he was kidnapped that way. But the same article said he was not noticed missing until a formation the next day. I can tell you that story is complete BS. No leader of any kind takes his unit on dismounted patrol and then comes back into the base without knowing he has everyone. Afghanistan is not the type of environment where everyone walks “Ranger File” or “Ducks in a Row” and you lose someone because they are walking slow. Were not talking about triple canopy jungle here, we are talking about desert. Regardless, that story is completely false and shame on the Associated Press for even thinking about printing it, much less actually printing it.

Overall this is a sad case for all except the enemy. This is a huge IO (Information Operations) campaign for them and they will come out smelling like a rose to those they can influence.

This is sad for the soldier, sad for his unit and the chain of command (who’s careers are probably over), sad for all the soldiers in Afghanistan who are working non-stop night and day looking for him and not doing their regular missions, sad for Afghanistan whom should be using the American assistance to get ready for the national elections one month from today. I can guarantee that in this area of Pakitika, Ghazni, and Paktia provinces they aren’t focusing on election preparation and probably are focusing on nothing but finding this soldier. It is also very sad for the Afghan and US family members of soldiers who have been killed or wounded as a result of the exhaustive and extensive searching that has been going on.

Most importantly it is sad for his family, who is probably getting no sleep or rest ever since they found out it was him missing back on June 30th (when they were first notified). If he did break ranks or if he does go to the other side it will even be more painful for them.  They will suffer forever because of this. Unless our military is able to rescue him, I doubt he will ever be released alive. The Taliban will use him for everything they can to sway Afghan and US public opinion.

As a parent of a combat vet myself, I cannot imagine the heartbreak or anxiety they feel. I am very sorry for them if the indications and allegations are true. With all that said, I will close this posting for now. Stay tuned here to Bouhammer.com as I will post updates as they become public knowledge.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Sounds awfully fishy. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
Definitely Beach. This is some strange stuff, indeed. The story was cemented in the "fact" that he was captured while falling back on patrol. I come back to the news, not a day later, and now the story has morphed into 2-3 different events. Was he captured? Did he get drunk and walk-off base with new friends? Did he desert? And how did he get away, how did he leave so easily?

And now the biggest one that comes to mind is; what are the Taliban going to do (although now it seems pretty obvious) and what are his motives? Is he going to convert? Is he going to fight against the U.S. military? Will he be executed? And what will his once fellow soldiers do when/if they find him?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Definitely Beach. This is some strange stuff, indeed. The story was cemented in the "fact" that he was captured while falling back on patrol. I come back to the news, not a day later, and now the story has morphed into 2-3 different events. Was he captured? Did he get drunk and walk-off base with new friends? Did he desert? And how did he get away, how did he leave so easily?

And now the biggest one that comes to mind is; what are the Taliban going to do (although now it seems pretty obvious) and what are his motives? Is he going to convert? Is he going to fight against the U.S. military? Will he be executed? And what will his once fellow soldiers do when/if they find him?

All good questions.  I definitely don't think it's possible he was captured while "falling back" on patrol.  No way. 

This sort of reminds me of the soldier who was "captured" in Iraq under the same kind of unusual circumstances.  I think it turned out he deserted or something like that? 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
All good questions.  I definitely don't think it's possible he was captured while "falling back" on patrol.  No way. 

This sort of reminds me of the soldier who was "captured" in Iraq under the same kind of unusual circumstances.  I think it turned out he deserted or something like that? 

Yeah, I mean, how far does one have to "fall back" during patrol to get lost and captured in Afghanistan. 100 yards? 200 yards? 100 feet? And how would the entire patrol forget someone?  It seems to me, and I'm speaking from no experience, that one would probably WANT to fall back to get lost.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
complete fucking moron. I have no remorse for people like this.