Author Topic: Why does Albert Haynesworth still have a job?  (Read 2869 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Why does Albert Haynesworth still have a job?
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Why does this guy still have a job?  In what other profession can you stomp on someone's head during the course of your job duties, causing injuries that require 30 stitches, and only be suspended for five weeks?   ???

Fisher: Haynesworth May Not Be Back
TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer

Saturday, October 7, 2006

(10-07) 03:38 PDT Nashville, Tenn. (AP) --

The Tennessee Titans want back some of Albert Haynesworth's bonus money. And that might be just the start of the paybacks. Coach Jeff Fisher told a national radio show Thursday that Haynesworth — the defensive tackle suspended five games by the NFL for stomping on Dallas center Andre Gurode's face — may never be back in the building again. Team spokesman Robbie Bohren also said the Titans are investigating their options.

"We've moved on," Fisher said after practice Friday. "I have no intention of addressing the Haynesworth issue now or at anytime between now and the time he comes back. I'm done with Albert, and this team is moving on. As far as specifics on his future, I'm not going to comment any further on that," Fisher said.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, punishment from the commissioner overrides any team sanctions.

But Haynesworth's stomp of a player while defenseless on the ground without his helmet left Gurode with 30 stitches and cost Haynesworth $190,000 in lost salary. It also has resulted in unanimous condemnation and calls for the Titans to fire the tackle.

Fisher's comments make it appear the Titans may be thinking of doing just that, or he's trying to sound as if he's cracking down to send a message to his winless, struggling team.

Seven games will remain when Haynesworth is eligible to return on Nov. 13 and play against Philadelphia. The Titans could deactivate Haynesworth each week, which the Philadelphia Eagles did to Terrell Owens last December after he served a team suspension.

In 2004, Dallas released quarterback Quincy Carter on Aug. 4 after reports of a failed drug test. Tampa Bay deactivated receiver Keyshawn Johnson for the final six games in 2003 and told him not to show up at the stadium.

The Titans could release Haynesworth, even though he's under contract for 2007 for $5.5 million. Considering he started the first four games, that could be fought by Haynesworth and the players' union.

General manager Floyd Reese referred reporters to Fisher to clarify his comments that Haynesworth might not be back. Reese said he didn't think any decision would be made on Haynesworth until his suspension ends. Asked if a team could release a player after a suspension, he said a team could do what it wants.

"Ultimately that is Mr. Adams' decision," Reese said of team owner Bud Adams. "I think it has been pretty well documented on what this has done not only to Albert but us and the league. It has been a tremendous embarrassment to everyone involved."

That is why Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, and the NFL Players Association received notification Friday that the Titans want back a percentage of his bonus equivalent to the five games he will miss starting Sunday.

"We received written notification that he was in default of his contract," Speck said.

The agent said he is waiting for another letter from the Titans detailing what they want back.

Haynesworth has apologized for scraping his cleat across Gurode's face last weekend in a 45-14 loss to Dallas. Haynesworth apologized again at a news conference Thursday where he promised he will be counseled for his on-field anger.

Speck has heard Fisher's comments on Haynesworth possibly not returning.

"Those are decisions the Titans will have to make. That's out of our control. All Albert can do is again moving forward with the things he discussed (Thursday) at the press conference ... and make sure he's in the best shape of his life when he returns," Speck said.

Haynesworth can help himself if he returns in the best shape of his life.

"There's a lot of issues to go through," Reese said. "I'm not sure that we can make a decision five weeks ahead of time."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/10/06/sports/s150734D08.DTL

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Why does Albert Haynesworth still have a job?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:16:04 PM »
Why does this guy still have a job?  In what other profession can you stomp on someone's head during the course of your job duties, causing injuries that require 30 stitches, and only be suspended for five weeks?   ???

Interrogator at Guantanamo, ...ooops bad answer. The gitmo guy wouldn't get a suspension.
w

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 06:05:47 PM »
I hear ya.

Like I told my buddy, I've played alot of football (college to semi pro and arena) and I understand what's said out there, the emotions, the attitude and how you actually can express yourself through violence between the whistle....but this is the ultimate example of someone committing a crime during a game. The other guy didn't press charges.

Should they ban him? No. Just like they didn't ban Bill Romanowski when he attacked a TE in oakland during practice who can no longer play , or the WR (M. Westbrook I believe) that attacked stephen davis in washington during practice and they both required medical attention afterwards.   

Most people don't know or remember but, you actually have a convicted murderer in the league now ( Leonard Little DE, st. louis rams) killed people driving drunk and they didn't kick him out of the league.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say you pretty much have to be incarserated (rae carruth) or the nfl will allow you to play.  ;D

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:39:54 PM »
He should be arrested!

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:23:59 PM »
let's not forget when little steve smith unloaded on anthony bright when the latter wanted to rewind film showing steve screwing up . . . steve punched him once and they said it was like he took a sledgehammer to his face.

leonard little was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. i believe the dumbass was arrested for dui subsequently

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »
Who was that Redskin a few years ago that beat the fuck out of his teammate? The guy doesn't want to press charges. He has already forgiven Haynesworth. Six Cincinnati Bengals have bee arrested this year already. The NFL is turning into a bunch of thugs like the NBA.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »
How come Bertuzzi is still playing hockey?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 07:33:25 PM »
How come Bertuzzi is still playing hockey?

'cause he's damn good.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:36 PM »
Who was that Redskin a few years ago that beat the f**k out of his teammate? The guy doesn't want to press charges. He has already forgiven Haynesworth. Six Cincinnati Bengals have bee arrested this year already. The NFL is turning into a bunch of thugs like the NBA.

Michael Westbrook former univ or colorado WR. I believe this fool went on to try to fight in MMA against another nfl player jarrod bunch RB giants awhile back too.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:03:29 PM »
If it makes ya feel any better, up here in Toronto, we went after Dave Winfield of the Yankees for that unfortunate seagull incident.  :-X
w

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 10:08:45 PM »
Interrogator at Guantanamo, ...ooops bad answer. The gitmo guy wouldn't get a suspension.

I see your still have no clue on what you're talking about!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 12:36:53 AM »
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 01:21:43 AM »

It wouldn't be a stretch to say you pretty much have to be incarserated (rae carruth) or the nfl will allow you to play.  ;D

Pretty much. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 07:14:40 AM »
If it makes ya feel any better, up here in Toronto, we went after Dave Winfield of the Yankees for that unfortunate seagull incident.  :-X

I remember that well.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 05:58:33 PM »
I remember that well.

We're still trying to live it down too.  :-[
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »
Get back to the topic...

Though the NFL placed a fine and suspension on him (should be gone for the year at the minimum, imo), they've neglected once again to deal with the true issue.  Haynesworth needs anger management intervention in the worst way.  This isn't the first time he's snapped like this.  I guess we have to wait until he beats some person to death (most likely a spouse or girlfriend) before it's decided that the man needs help.  :-\

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 10:09:41 AM »
I don't know how I feel about the whole thing. He apologized and it seemed real. I guess there are levels to this thing. He has had incidents in the past..but its football and its violent. If anybody needed to go it was Jack Tatum..I hate that prick and the whole Raider organization.....what he did was far worse and never apologized.
L

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 10:36:03 AM »
I don't know how I feel about the whole thing. He apologized and it seemed real. I guess there are levels to this thing. He has had incidents in the past..but its football and its violent. If anybody needed to go it was Jack Tatum..I hate that prick and the whole Raider organization.....what he did was far worse and never apologized.
I thought his apology was heartfelt too.  But he still needs help, nonetheless.  Football is a very violent game and for the guys who play, there's a very thin line between poise and rage, in which some of us who played or are still playing are closer to one extreme than the other.  Haynesworth is undoubtedly closer to the rage side.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »

Headhunter would you still have a job if you stomped on the head of a private, causing a wound that required 30 stitches to close . . . after you got out of Leavenworth? 

Tatum was a jerk and extraordinarily cruel for not apologizing, but that was a legal hit.