Author Topic: How does Ronnie Coleman lose the 2006 Mr Olympia ?  (Read 10663 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
How does Ronnie Coleman lose the 2006 Mr Olympia ?
« on: October 07, 2006, 05:17:51 PM »
This boogles my mind seriously , how does Ronnie Coleman a guy with 16 years of competitive bodybuilding experience lose the most important Mr Olympia win of his career? he's poised to beat the record which everyone thought was unbeatable Lee Haney eight straight victories and he drops the fucking-ball I want to know how this takes place

He only had to train for one contest all year , the biggest one of his life , what are the reasons why he lost?
I wont entertain conspricy theroies seriously , here is a quote from Ronnie right before the Olympia

"Well first thing first, Bob is smoking crack and I do not have any injuries. This will be my best showing yet or close to it, I will be much heavier than last year and pretty close to 300lbs. We'll just have to wait and see. My training is great and I'm not behind so rest assured, I will be ready..."

So we can discount any injuries what so ever ( according to Ronnie )  , he said his training as right on-track and he obviously felt he was going to be near his best and then he shows up way off , at what point does Defcon-1 go off?  how can a bodybuilder with so much experience fail when he needed to be his finest?

Lee Haney took no chances what so ever for his last and greatest Mr Olympia showing of his career , people say Jay's victory is somewhat medicore because he beat a less than perfect Ronnie , but the same could be applied to Ronnie in 1998 who only really won because Flex was off but they still herald that victory none the less , I think it makes it much worse for Ronnie because Jay was a guy he routinly beat and wasn't supposed to ever beat Ronnie , I think it would be much more comprehendable if Ronnie was defeated at his best by a better man , but to lose the most important Olympia ever due to a mispeak or worse overconfidence will go down in bodybuilding history as the biggest choke this side of the Yankees in 2004 Vs the Red Sox .

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: How does Ronnie Coleman lose the 2006 Mr Olympia ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:19:28 PM »
One look at the '97 winner and he knew it was a lock.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:20:08 PM »
he loses by coming in with an unsymetrical back and noticably smaller Triceps. Also the fact that Jay came on stage in shape and "on" would also add to the probability of Ronnie Losing.
bodybuildersreality.com

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 05:24:59 PM »
he loses by coming in with an unsymetrical back and noticably smaller Triceps. Also the fact that Jay came on stage in shape and "on" would also add to the probability of Ronnie Losing.

Oh I know why , physically just not phycologically , does he really think he's not injured?  ??? I would love to hear everything that transpired from the day of until the day after from his camp .

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 05:30:53 PM »
Maybe he said he was at his best and denied his injuries to keep his competition intimidated. Remember the fact that he didn't offer any pre-O photos although he did every previous year. That says something.

But what could have gone wrong? I'd say he's just old. He's been hardcore bodybuilding for a damn long time. I really doubt he's Ronnie Coleman "The Unbelievable" anymore, if you know what I mean.
~

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 05:34:32 PM »
The injury was probably minor in terms of pain but major in terms of physical display.
yes that would make sense.
bodybuildersreality.com

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 05:36:01 PM »
Yeah, an example of a painful injury is Dorian's bicep, Duvall's bicep/pec, Federov's pec, etc. What a nightmare!
~

CAPTAIN MARVEL

• Getbig II
  • The World's Mightiest Mortal
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »
Not formatted yet, but...

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/jaycutlerversusronniecoleman2006.html

Dissect that ND.  ;D
Glutes aren't judged as a muscle. Maybe as an indicator of conditioning, but so are abs, back, and hamstrings. Jay won at most of these other spots.
SHAZAM!

CAPTAIN MARVEL

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 06:03:26 PM »
Glutes aren't judged as a muscle. Maybe as an indicator of conditioning, but so are abs, back, and hamstrings. Jay won at most of these other spots.
Aloso, disagree with you on hammies. Jay's were much bigger, look at side comparisons.
Also, vascularity isn't something that is technically judged, but I do think its hard to ignore.
Overall, excellent breakdown.
SHAZAM!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
eople say Jay's victory is somewhat medicore because he beat a less than perfect Ronnie , but the same could be applied to Ronnie in 1998 who only really won because Flex was off but they still herald that victory none the less ,

flex was off (hell, post synthol was he ever really ON?) but it is debatable even then that Ronnie would have lost had Flex been in shape.

Why?

width - the judges favorite attribute it seems.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 06:07:08 PM »
I guess when you win 8 Mr. Olympias, the Arnold Classic and more overall titles than anyone in the history of bodybuiilding, it is easy to taking winning for granted and become over confident.

this may have played a part in Ronnie's downfall.
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 06:10:47 PM »

flex was off (hell, post synthol was he ever really ON?) but it is debatable even then that Ronnie would have lost had Flex been in shape.

Why?

width - the judges favorite attribute it seems.

Width isn't the judges favorite attribute Flex beat a much wider , Dillett , Coleman and Nasser as did Shawn Ray , width doesn't mean as much as you think it does

and Ronnie only beat Flex was Flex was off but as they went tit for tat but all things being equal Flex was the man to beat.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 06:13:01 PM »
I guess when you win 8 Mr. Olympias, the Arnold Classic and more overall titles than anyone in the history of bodybuiilding, it is easy to taking winning for granted and become over confident.

this may have played a part in Ronnie's downfall.

I keep remembering Ronnie saying he'll be around a lot longer than people will want him to I think he's undoing his legacy with that logic.

venom gang.bronze

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 06:17:26 PM »
why should he learn humility? show me any champion that was/is humble.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 06:17:53 PM »
Width isn't the judges favorite attribute Flex beat a much wider , Dillett , Coleman and Nasser as did Shawn Ray , width doesn't mean as much as you think it does

and Ronnie only beat Flex was Flex was off but as they went tit for tat but all things being equal Flex was the man to beat.

1994 showed that width can literally win a contest for you. That was about all that dorian had over shawn. (other than physical height)

it was dorian's lats that saved him in the judges eyes.

Hell, is what saved Ronnie in 2001,

The judges love wide wide bodybuilders.
Flower Boy Ran Away

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »
I keep remembering Ronnie saying he'll be around a lot longer than people will want him to I think he's undoing his legacy with that logic.
Anyone who's used to winning probably loses touch with the writing on the wall, never hear it from others or block it out.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »
Anyone who's used to winning probably loses touch with the writing on the wall, never hear it from others or block it out.
exactly.
bodybuildersreality.com

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 06:22:30 PM »

recall that Samir did exactly this.
Flower Boy Ran Away

CAPTAIN MARVEL

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 06:23:14 PM »
why should he learn humility? show me any champion that was/is humble.
Gretzky
Lennox Lewis
Larry Bird (debatable)
Bill Russell
NE Patriots (as a team)
Lee Haney
Dorain Yates
SHAZAM!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 06:29:11 PM »
1994 showed that width can literally win a contest for you. That was about all that dorian had over shawn. (other than physical height)

it was dorian's lats that saved him in the judges eyes.

Hell, is what saved Ronnie in 2001,

The judges love wide wide bodybuilders.

You like to simplify things because you're a simple person , Dorian also mind you had a SIXTY-POUND weight advantage over Ray , among other things that defficit was near impossible to overcome alone .

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 06:33:35 PM »
Didn't the IFBB say they were going to look more closely at symmetry and proportions this year?  If Ronnie's answer was to come in at 300 lbs, that was the wrong direction.  I don't think Jay has any problem beating Ronnie in the symmetry/V-shape equation.  

For the last couple of years, Ronnie's midsection, in some shots, could be compared to Jackie Gleason's.  At what point does swollen internal organs become a detriment?  Well, I think the IFBB said it would be...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 06:35:22 PM »
Was Flex ever as good as Ronnie was in 1998?

93 ASC he was leaps & bounds better ! than just about anyone.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 06:40:54 PM »
ND - are you saying that was in your opinion the greatest performance in bodybuilding of all time?

Among the best , Samir 1983 , Sergio 72 , Arnold 74 , there are too many to pick one but Flex ranks WAY WAY up there .

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 02:06:03 AM »
I'm not sure why Arnold of 74 is in that list.  Unless you are talking about personal bests.  Sergio in 72 with better conditioning could probably walk on a pro stage today and clean house.

Arnold's inclusion on the list - typical ironage clone dogma.

His 74 physique is foolishly viewed by deluded ironagers as some sort of holy grail of physiques. It certainly was his best, but best of all time?

HELL NO!

Arnold in 74 had the same flaws he always had - lack of quad flair, poor hamstring mass, over powering chest, overpowered delts that sloped, biceps that overpowered his triceps and forearms.

ND for someone who vehemently claims in the truce thread that colemans strengths can be construed as weaknesses, i wonder what your assessment on arnolds chest and biceps are?

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 04:17:15 AM »
93 ASC he was leaps & bounds better ! than just about anyone.

back in 82' if coach woulda put me in, we woulda won state, guarantee it,
grundle has no sack,