Author Topic: bench hasnt increased in 3 years  (Read 4894 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
bench hasnt increased in 3 years
« on: October 07, 2006, 07:36:44 PM »
how do you know when you have reached your limit as a natural? i do pretty much every chest exercise there is at various points, tried lots of different combos/sets/reps ect ect but i went for a max the other day for the first time in years and it was exactly the same. this has always been my stongest movement (not that i am built for sheer strength at all) and i have not gotten any stronger in roughly 3 years in this movement. also i have been unable to add weight in that time. ive improved in quality and appearance, but not in actual weight. what should i do?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: bench hasnt increased in 3 years
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »
how do you know when you have reached your limit as a natural? i do pretty much every chest exercise there is at various points, tried lots of different combos/sets/reps ect ect but i went for a max the other day for the first time in years and it was exactly the same. this has always been my stongest movement (not that i am built for sheer strength at all) and i have not gotten any stronger in roughly 3 years in this movement. also i have been unable to add weight in that time. ive improved in quality and appearance, but not in actual weight. what should i do?

Depending on your bodytype, it may be time to do some bulking up. Putting on some size overall could help you get that bench up.

As far as training goes, you might want to try some alternate-style training (i.e. doing a set for back after doing a set for chest). Give either (or both) a try for about 8-10 weeks and see if that helps.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
Damn how is that possible?! How is your intensity levels?
~

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 12:17:08 PM »

If you want to excel in benchpress, you need to train benchpress.

Check out the thread that texasrush started on the powerlifting board. I posted a routine for a natural lifter there. Use it for a couple of months, then switch to phase two for two months. Then you will definitely have reached a new PR in the benchpress.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 01:51:58 PM »
a lot of the bench press is in the way you approach it, i remember reading something from Bill Kazmaier where he said that since the bench press is a lying down movement that people don't get as psyched up for it as they do with squats, deads, cleans, rows, etc., it might be a thing where your approaching the exercise too meekly.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 06:45:09 AM »
I would bulk up too......that usually triggers growth.  I would change up the reps too if you dont, I dont know what your routine is.  But as far as growth.......tough to beat bulkingup.

Insane Pete

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 11:41:42 AM »
I had the same problem as you (except I'd been stuck even longer!).  I took 8 months off (not that 8 is some sicentifically magic number).  Then I came back with a good diet, adding more cals and as I'd put on 70-80lbs decided to start with body weight excercises like dips and chins.  I couldnt do a full rep to begin, so went for negatives until I got to 18 reps (again no magic number).  A few months have passed and Im up to 7 complete reps plus negs.  I never regularly did dips before.

Also, I worked out through trial and error, it takes me 10-12 days to fully recover a muscle group.  So now I have about 6 different workouts and do one every other day.  This length period is rediculously long compared to anything I've ever read, but listening to my own body is why I've succeded.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »
Sometimes you just need to find your ideal bodyweight. I could barely bench 250 at 210 lb, but can do around 380 at 230-240 lb bodyweight. Most really strong guys around 6'0" tall weigh well over 200 lb.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 08:44:24 PM »
ive improved in quality and appearance, but not in actual weight. what should i do?

Then why do you care?
:

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 09:35:03 AM »
Sometimes you just need to find your ideal bodyweight. I could barely bench 250 at 210 lb, but can do around 380 at 230-240 lb bodyweight. Most really strong guys around 6'0" tall weigh well over 200 lb.

I am around 200 and can only bench 250. I was talking to this guy at my gym who compeats in powerlifting (he benches around 350 at 180lbs). He told me if you want to improve your bench:
1)Train bench twice a week, a heavy bench day and a light bench day
2)light chest = heavy tri day, day do speed benching (eight sets of trips) and two board/floor press lockouts (eight sets of trips) + whatever else you feel like

I have been doing this for a couple weeks. I will  let you know how it works out.

KTMckay

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 05:39:03 PM »

Remember muscles adapt to heavy weight by heavy training. If you push them to their max and always rep as heavy as you can your muscles will have to adapt to that heavier weight sometime and youll eventually break through. of course none of this even works if you dont have your diet right. cant build a brick house without bricks you know what i mean? eat like a horse  :D you cant expect muscles to push 405 if your only repping with 300. make them adapt to the heavy weight not the light weight. this works for me!

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 03:36:44 PM »
I would approach it using 2 methods.  1st, If increasing my bench was my main goal I'd train it using the traditional Mike Metzer rest-pause method.  1 all out rep, rack it, rest about 10-20 seconds and do another rep until you fail, totally fail.  The next thing I would do is think about the incriments I'm increasing the weight at.  If I'm maxed out at 315, next time I might try a very small increase, you can buy 1 and a 1/4 lbs plates...or at least you used to be able to.  Next time I bench I'd shoot for 317.5lbs and if I got that I'd try 320lbs...small increases in weight add up over time.  Think of the big picture instead of every step you have to take.
nasser=piece of shit

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »
thanks for the replies all. i think the problem is that im wanting to continue improving appearances and stay lean, and get stronger at the same time.
its kinda hard-and i guess kinda dumb -to even try to bring out full midsection definition AND build a big bench at the same time....ill have to pick one or the other.
in the end it will be smarter to play to my own strengths.

i think ill try the light day(high rep, less weight, faster reps) every other workout instead of just going low and heavy all the time. i seem to be making NO progress at all just going heavy all the time. i think i will do something along the lines of that concept you guys are talking about and see if i can finally break this plateau.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
good luck increasing your bench bro! i wish i could bench 225 or more! i'm such a whimpy wuss! :'(try jamming roid juice into your arms and chest,  that might help!)

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 06:18:33 PM »
You might also try adding strength to the secondary muscles that get used in the bench press.  Hitting the delts/tri's hard for a month.   Doing heavy free weight and machine pullovers for a period of time. 
  I also find the kind of breakfast I have makes a tremendous difference in my workouts.  What did you eat the day you tried your max?   
 Could be your brain too!   Maybe you've pyched yourself out??  You might want to try working with a partner on doubles and triples for a month or two...get you 1 Rep Max out of your head for awhile then come back to it.

Good luck.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 01:40:58 PM »
who cares about how much you bench its about how much you look like you can. its all about lookin good man
A

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »
who cares about how much you bench its about how much you look like you can. its all about lookin good man
True-it's bodybuilding not powerlifting.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »
Johny if you want a big bench you should really give hit/dc a try. Believe it or not by doing less you will grown more. I was always a high volume trainer and didn't believe anything else was worthwhile. How wrong I was. Training like Arnold is good if you take what he took but to make greater gains give DC a shot.
just push some weight!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
Hi..I'm a recreational lifter and I weightlift to get stronger and for health...I had the same problem..I was stuck at 140 pounds on press for the longest...the problem was that I had to finally admit to myself that I was afraid of the bar and afraid to lift heavy for fear that I would either drop the bar on myself or that other guys in the gym would see me struggling with a heavy weight and make fun of me...it was all in my mind...I kept wondering why i couldn't lift more like others who were smaller than me but once I came to grips with my fear of lifting heavy I began to load on much more weight and began to lift much heavier poundages...I'm now up to 180 which was my goal and I am increasuing in size and strength....remember I am only lifting for health and strength not for ego..that's why the poundages may be lower than what the rest of you usually do.

Kilroy

• Getbig II
  • All Natural
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 11:45:40 AM »
If a bench increase is what your after. up the intensity of your training first and train the muscles involved in the bench press aggressively, focus on heavy tricep movements and heavy flys and then see if that helps.
All Natural

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 03:36:22 PM »
Hi..I'm a recreational lifter and I weightlift to get stronger and for health...I had the same problem..I was stuck at 140 pounds on press for the longest...the problem was that I had to finally admit to myself that I was afraid of the bar and afraid to lift heavy for fear that I would either drop the bar on myself or that other guys in the gym would see me struggling with a heavy weight and make fun of me...it was all in my mind...I kept wondering why i couldn't lift more like others who were smaller than me but once I came to grips with my fear of lifting heavy I began to load on much more weight and began to lift much heavier poundages...I'm now up to 180 which was my goal and I am increasuing in size and strength....remember I am only lifting for health and strength not for ego..that's why the poundages may be lower than what the rest of you usually do.

That is a great point you bring to our attention. I think a lot of people are afraid to lift those heavier weights out of fear and thus stay the same way all the time. That is why you must face your fears and conquer them to progress in lifting or in life in general. 8)
just push some weight!