Author Topic: College Football Fans  (Read 28901 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: College Football Fans
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2007, 12:55:41 PM »
Dude you have no idea how hard it has been to schedule games.  We offered nearly $1 million and an ESPN televised game to a bunch of schools and they all turned it down.  Unbelievable. 

Good luck to the Cornhuskers.  And thanks a bunch for Leon Jackson.   :)  He is going to be very good.     

That is the problem we run into with BSU... I hear people say we don't play quality teams. It's not that we don't want to, it is that they wont do it. Why would they travel to Boise, ID to take a chance at losing. It is totally worth it for us to play big name teams. We win we look better. If they win no one cares, if they lose it is devestating to their program.

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2007, 07:59:52 PM »
That is the problem we run into with BSU... I hear people say we don't play quality teams. It's not that we don't want to, it is that they wont do it. Why would they travel to Boise, ID to take a chance at losing. It is totally worth it for us to play big name teams. We win we look better. If they win no one cares, if they lose it is devestating to their program.

exactly. plus why would they want to play on the road where the game would be harder and not get as much revenue as they would for a home game.

there really isn't much incentive(sp?) for the Boise States and the Hawaii's of the college football world to go on the road and play a hard game either. sure it would be great to knock off a USC or an Oklahoma, but lose that game and you've blown your shot at sneaking into the BCS with an undefeated season. that $10mil + payout and the exposure of playing in the BCS far outweighs shocking the college football world on a saturday in october
Go Big Red!!!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2007, 08:10:55 AM »
exactly. plus why would they want to play on the road where the game would be harder and not get as much revenue as they would for a home game.

there really isn't much incentive(sp?) for the Boise States and the Hawaii's of the college football world to go on the road and play a hard game either. sure it would be great to knock off a USC or an Oklahoma, but lose that game and you've blown your shot at sneaking into the BCS with an undefeated season. that $10mil + payout and the exposure of playing in the BCS far outweighs shocking the college football world on a saturday in october

Couldn't agree more. You hit the nail on the head..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »

USC has apparently pulled out of its 2009 game against UH.   :-\

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »
USC has apparently pulled out of its 2009 game against UH.   :-\

source?
any reason given?
where was the game to be played?
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2007, 04:15:03 PM »
source?
any reason given?
where was the game to be played?

UH message board.  Not the most reliable source, but they're usually on the money.  A couple of our local writers post there.  That said, the game is scheduled for 2010 (not 2009 like I originally said) at UH and I'm trying to confirm.  Will let you know. 

BTW, UH ranked no. 23 in the preseason AP poll.  Your Cornhuskers are at 20:

1. Southern Cal (62) 11-2 1,622 4

2. LSU (2) 11-2 1,511 3

3. West Virginia (1) 11-2 1,396 10

4. Texas 10-3 1,375 13

5. Michigan 11-2 1,371 8

6. Florida 13-1 1,276 1

7. Wisconsin 12-1 1,192 7

8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,166 11

9. Virginia Tech 10-3 1,148 19

10. Louisville 12-1 1,031 6

11. Ohio St. 12-1 876 2

12. California 10-3 790 14

13. Georgia 9-4 782 23

14. UCLA 7-6 605 —

15. Tennessee 9-4 571 25

16. Rutgers 11-2 560 12

17. Penn St. 9-4 542 —

18. Auburn 11-2 519 9

19. Florida St. 7-6 392 —

20. Nebraska 9-5 377 —

21. Arkansas 10-4 376 15

22. TCU 11-2 283 22

23. Hawaii 11-3 256 —

24. Boise St. 13-0 187 5

25. Texas A&M 9-4 162 —

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Aug/18/br/br2371064598.html

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »
was reading the other day where one writer thinks Hawaii has the schedule to go 12-0, but also the kind of schedule to keep them out of the BCS. thinks the writers will punish them for how weak it is. that second I-AA game will hurt your cause. that was a last minute fill in game was it not?
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2007, 11:42:10 AM »
was reading the other day where one writer thinks Hawaii has the schedule to go 12-0, but also the kind of schedule to keep them out of the BCS. thinks the writers will punish them for how weak it is. that second I-AA game will hurt your cause. that was a last minute fill in game was it not?

Mixed opinions on Hawaii and the BCS.  Some (like Phil Steele) think Hawaii will run the table and play in a BCS bowl and others think the schedule will keep them out. 

Yes the second I-AA team was a last minute filler.  Michigan State pulling out really hurt.  We would have beaten them again if they came over here.  You'd think if they had such superior athletes they wouldn't be afraid of a WAC school.   :) 

Even though I partly blame our AD for this, we did make superhuman efforts to try and fill out the schedule.  I doubt any other school in the country offered nearly $1 million and ESPN airtime to play a regular season game.  That's as much as some bowl payouts. 

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2007, 09:22:09 PM »
I think Hawaii has a very good chance to go undefeated with the schedule they have
I don't know if they deserve a BCS bowl bid if they do though.         
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
I think Hawaii has a very good chance to go undefeated with the schedule they have
I don't know if they deserve a BCS bowl bid if they do though.         

We should be favored in every game this year.  Tough games at Nevada and at San Jose.  If we win those two I think we run the table. 

A BCS bowl will be nice, but I think that whole system is a joke.  Notre Dame was a hair away from playing for a national championship.  They should scrap the whole system and have playoffs like every other sport at every other level.  Conference winners, plus some at large teams.  Pretty simple.  But it will never happen. 

We showed last year we can play with anybody.  Getting 11 guys into NFL camps, with 5 drafted, showed how talented we were.  And we'll be even better this year.  To a man the coaches are saying this is our best front seven they've seen.  We finally have some solid corners.  Offense will be unstoppable.  Seven days to kickoff.  :)

body88

« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »
BC has 14 starters returning. Nice lb core. Very good offensive line. Matt Ryan is a top qb.The d kinda worries me as a whole. No I dont think they will beat the big boys. They should do well in the acc tho.

Losing Tom O hurts.

body88

« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »

Matt Ryan had 408 passing yards and 5 tds vs wake forest today. Huge win for BC. Watching Ryan play healthy is awesome. His injuries really held him back last year.

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »
We should be favored in every game this year.  Tough games at Nevada and at San Jose. 

Nevada is not the same team as last year. Nebraska destroyed them today. their only td was an 80yd interception return and nebraska took a knee on the 1yd line in the final minute.

Go Big Red!!!

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »
and how about those Michigan Wolverines. GO BLUE!!!

LMAO. i love it!!!
Go Big Red!!!

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2007, 05:02:57 PM »
I am a grad from Michigan and glad they lost today....i have wanted carr gone for years now and maybe Bill Martin will get it over with....please!~!

Michigan - 6w and 5-losses this season....maybe 7 and 4
D

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »
I am a grad from Michigan and glad they lost today....i have wanted carr gone for years now and maybe Bill Martin will get it over with....please!~!

Michigan - 6w and 5-losses this season....maybe 7 and 4

they play 12 games a year!
Go Big Red!!!

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2007, 08:59:21 AM »
they play 12 games a year!

Yea, that is true and i am sorry but i am talking to the guys i graduated with and they are shocked. This is good to me because i am tired of giving money and having the same kind of season every year. I see us going after Will Hill, Shane Hayle, Jon Major and some of the best defensive players available and on the + side, maybe coach carr will step down in a season or two....please....sorry bout that Canadian Husker, i was talking to like 7 people about the game...just see me as a realist and not a arrogant idiot
D

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »
Yea, that is true and i am sorry but i am talking to the guys i graduated with and they are shocked. This is good to me because i am tired of giving money and having the same kind of season every year. I see us going after Will Hill, Shane Hayle, Jon Major and some of the best defensive players available and on the + side, maybe coach carr will step down in a season or two....please....sorry bout that Canadian Husker, i was talking to like 7 people about the game...just see me as a realist and not a arrogant idiot

i guess i can see where you're coming from. you're not happy with the program where it sits right now, but i could never imagine on the worst day in the history of the program losing to a div 1-AA school. it boggles the mind. ranked #5 in the country(which was too high imo) and losing to a team that supposed to be there just for a paycheque. i don't see how Carr keeps his job if he loses to Ohio State again this year
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2007, 08:32:18 PM »
Nevada is not the same team as last year. Nebraska destroyed them today. their only td was an 80yd interception return and nebraska took a knee on the 1yd line in the final minute.

I watched about a quarter.  They ran the ball about 18 straight times at one point.  Just completely demoralized Nevada.  I hope they play like that at home when we come to town.

That Nebraska RB is a load.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
Colt Brennan picked up where he left off last season:  34 for 40 (3 drops), 416 yards, 6 TDs, 34 yards rushing.  All in the first half.  He sat out the second half.   

I felt sorry for Northern Colorado.  They're really bad and they faced the top offense in college football.  We scored 4 TDs in the first quarter.  They didn't score till late in the fourth against our third string D.   

The train is just leaving the station.   

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2007, 08:43:46 PM »
Colt Brennan picked up where he left off last season:  34 for 40 (3 drops), 416 yards, 6 TDs, 34 yards rushing.  All in the first half.  He sat out the second half.   

I felt sorry for Northern Colorado.  They're really bad and they faced the top offense in college football.  We scored 4 TDs in the first quarter.  They didn't score till late in the fourth against our third string D.   

The train is just leaving the station.   

Sounds very similar to the Boise St. game.. HMM................. We could be for another interesting season..

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
I watched about a quarter.  They ran the ball about 18 straight times at one point.  Just completely demoralized Nevada.  I hope they play like that at home when we come to town.

That Nebraska RB is a load.   

Marlon Lucky is one of the best backs in the country
D

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »
Marlon Lucky is one of the best backs in the country

Lucky was banged up last year and split time with Brandon Jackson (who just might end up the starter in Green Bay this year). now he's getting a chance to show what he can do. he was a 5* guy coming out of hs and rated 2nd among running backs his sr year, but until now had not shown his full potential. hopefully he keeps it up next week on the road at wake forest
Go Big Red!!!

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2007, 12:14:04 AM »
Lucky was banged up last year and split time with Brandon Jackson (who just might end up the starter in Green Bay this year). now he's getting a chance to show what he can do. he was a 5* guy coming out of hs and rated 2nd among running backs his sr year, but until now had not shown his full potential. hopefully he keeps it up next week on the road at wake forest

What happened to Marlon Lucky in the offseason?
D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2007, 01:30:38 AM »
Sounds very similar to the Boise St. game.. HMM................. We could be for another interesting season..

Except we scored a few more points.   :)  Looks like Boise will have its hands full at Washington this weekend.  Good luck.