Author Topic: Ricky Williams returns in Thanksgiving Day game  (Read 1288 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Ricky Williams returns in Thanksgiving Day game
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:00:25 AM »
There were questions and a few curious comments when the Argos announced a starting backfield of Ricky Williams and John Avery.

No one, not even the Argos, knew for certain how two players accustomed to the spotlight would react, how two players used to getting plenty of touches would co-exist. Williams rushed seven times for 77 yards, while Avery had 11 carries for 66 yards. For one game, Williams and Avery answered any lingering doubts, spearheading an offence that looked dominant at times and ensuring the Argos of another post-season berth.

"To see J.A. and R.W. lining up together in the same backfield was exciting,'' Arland Bruce III said after the Argos had beaten the visiting Edmonton Eskimos 28-23.

"That was something special. It's going to be hard right now to stop No. 20 (Avery) and No. 27 (Williams). It's going to be a nice one-two punch."

With Williams lining up at fullback, the punishing runner was able to use his downhill style to gain yards and first downs.

Avery is known as a cut-back runner and slasher who lined up in different formations and who ran the clock out after the Argos' defence forced a turnover on downs in the game's final minute.

"It's easy to complement each other when there's no animosity,'' Avery said. "We pull for each other. The purpose is to win."

Neither Avery nor Williams are exactly healthy, either. Avery continues to battle a banged-up ankle, an injury he says he felt throughout the game.

Williams aggravated an Achilles tendon last week, but knows how to play through pain this late in a season.

"No one is going to be healthy at this time,'' Williams said. "Sometimes you play better because you focus more when you're banged up."

The RB tandem forced the Eskimos to spread their defence, allowing playmakers like Bruce and Tony Miles to run downfield on one-on-one matchups.

Miles eclipsed the 100-yard mark, while Bruce hauled in two Damon Allen touchdown passes.

The only glitch to the Williams-Avery experiment happened on the game's second offensive play when the Argos were forced to call a timeout after Avery was subbed out.

The win improves their record to 9-6 and keeps the Argos tied with Montreal for first in the East. The two teams meet in the season finale at Rogers Centre on Oct. 28.

The Eskimos (5-10) play host to the Argos this Saturday, facing a do-or-die scenario as they hope to catch Saskatchewan for the third and final playoff spot in the West. Edmonton has made the CFL's post-season the past 34 years.

blinky

• Getbig V
Re: Ricky Williams returns in Thanksgiving Day game
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 05:13:16 AM »
jesus my eskies suck this year  >:(

but even better than your ricky and avery.....our troy davis ran for 189 yards  :P

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:48:35 AM »
John Avery?  Another NFL flunkie. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 03:09:38 PM »
John Avery?  Another NFL flunkie.
This "beach bum" is a real negatron.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »
This "beach bum" is a real negatron.  ::)

Okay, okay.  I'll at least give you John Avery's stats from his distinguished three-year NFL career.  He played in 29 games for Miami, Denver, and Minnesota:

149 carries for 524 yards, 3.5 ypc, 2 TDs
16 receptions for 115 yards, 7.2 ypc, 2 TDs

So, on the positive side, he rushed for more yards in the NFL than me and caught way more passes than I did.   :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:06:06 PM »
Okay, okay.  I'll at least give you John Avery's stats from his distinguished three-year NFL career.  He played in 29 games for Miami, Denver, and Minnesota:

149 carries for 524 yards, 3.5 ypc, 2 TDs
16 receptions for 115 yards, 7.2 ypc, 2 TDs

So, on the positive side, he rushed for more yards in the NFL than me and caught way more passes than I did.   
No one cares nor is material. This beach bum is negative 24-7. :-\ Then again, he seems interested in bumping the thread..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:26:55 PM »
No one cares nor is material. This beach bum is negative 24-7. :-\ Then again, he seems interested in bumping the thread..

Why would I bump a thread about that crackhead Ricky Williams and that NFL flunky John Avery?  And who said I'm negative all the time?  Just because it's overcast, raining, we've had vog for several days, and it has been hot and muggy for about two weeks now?  Get a grip dude.  It's not like I'm always making fun of you for your criticism of Tiger Woods or anything.  (BTW, he is taking a few weeks off, so you get a break for a while.)   

Guess I just bumped this one again.  :)

And you should be thanking me.  I'm one of the few people who actually reads your posts.  Ingrate.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »
And who said I'm negative all the time?  Just because it's overcast, raining, we've had vog for several days, and it has been hot and muggy for about two weeks now?
More rays of sunshine from the loser. Beach bum's always surrounded by storm clouds; positivity's like kryptonite. ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 01:33:16 AM »
More rays of sunshine from the loser. Beach bum's always surrounded by storm clouds; positivity's like kryptonite. ;)

Bump for pessimistic losers! 

*cough*TIGER WOODS*cough*   :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:37:50 AM »
*cough*TIGER WOODS*cough* 
Get a life man, that was months ago just before he came out of his latest and by far his longest downturn. *cough cough*

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 10:43:53 AM »
Get a life man, that was months ago just before he came out of his latest and by far his longest downturn. *cough cough*

You mean he's no longer erratic and overrated? 

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »
The harvest should be over and dried nicely by Thanksgiving.  Ricky will be all set.  He's NFL material all the way though.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 01:37:45 PM »
You mean he's no longer erratic and overrated? 
Calm down and get back to me in 6-8 months if he hasn't gone back into a funk.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 01:40:08 PM »
I'll take the worst of Tiger's slumps over all the other elite golfers any day!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 02:11:50 PM »
I'll take the worst of Tiger's slumps over all the other elite golfers any day!!!!
Beside the point; he is in fact erratic.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 04:19:08 PM »

O.K.  I'll calm down.   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 04:21:34 PM »
Beside the point; he is in fact erratic.

;D