Author Topic: They want me to play Baseball...  (Read 1302 times)

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
They want me to play Baseball...
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:55:35 AM »
So I'm hanging out the other day and a younger friend tells me that I should come out to play some baseball with him and the rest of his crew.  20 somethings that I've got almost 20 years on.   My mind was already there, cause I've found that the older I get, the younger my brain feels...Only the older guys will get that.

But then I thought about my body.  Sure I used to play football and basketball, worked out constantly etc., but that was years ago.  I have not played a competitive sport in at least 4 years, and we're talking baseball here, not softball.  Would the knees and back hold up?  Is a few hours of play going to be worth the potential pain later on?

I know I could go out there and at least hang, as with heart and my current level of fitness alone I would not embarrass myself.  How many of you older guys would give it a shot?

BKS - Guardian of Truth

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: They want me to play Baseball...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:02:51 AM »
short answer..quit being a pussy... ;D

really, for me, it depends on how much time it takes from my family. I used to play in some softball/baseball leagues and the spouse played hockey and I found the main problem I have is to many wannabees playing sports into there mid 20's act like there trying out for the pros and play with a reckless abandon I am not willing to do. I have had to be pulled off dumbass guys who slid spikes up into second and damaged my second basemen (a girl) in a co ed softball league and have gone out on the ice to thump some bastard who boarded my wife like the stanly cup was at stake. I know I have issues regarding anger but for fucks sake I have a job and real life and so many people play to intense in mean nothing games.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:04:33 AM »
I'm 32. I felt old at 30 but have gotten used to the idea. We've both in in the service and u know how ur body ages.That said...I also had the same thing happen. I got invited to play semi-pro football. I ended up playing two years at my last duty station. It was the best thing next to sex. Putting on the pads and kicking the hell out of younger guys. Go for it...don't give up ur youth...hold off playing golf until u need a walker . Make sure u get to play outfield or first..anything else might get u killed :P
L

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:10:05 AM »
Good replies guys thanks.  Yeah I am a bit soft now I guess.  A lot more responsibilities now and I know what it's like to have to deal with a severly injured back or knee while doing your day job thanks to playing sports.

I'll probably end up checking it out at least once.  LOL

BKS - Guardian of Truth

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »
I blew my groin out and used to come to work all jacked up..it was great. I never asked permission which I guess I should have but it was with a bunch of reservists so screw um. Have fun bro
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:33:49 AM »
Get ready for injuries.  I played high school and college football and never had a serious injury.  I'm talking about after playing FB in a wishbone offense. 

Then I started playing softball about five years ago.  My injury list (all first time ever):  torn left hamstring, torn right hamstring, broken wrist in two places, and torn MCL.  I recovered from all very fast, including from the torn MCL (three weeks, no surgery), because of the years of driving iron, but man it has been really embarrassing.  Getting old sucks. 

On the other hand, one of my co-workers still plays hard ball and he's in his 50s. 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 03:13:25 PM »

How many of you older guys would give it a shot?

Dude, I'd give it a shot in a heartbeat, back from 81-83 I played AA in the Angels farm system and about 3 months in AAA, those were the best sports years of my life and to this day I still kick myself in the ass for not persuing it more. I still play baseball twice per week and hit the batting cages about three times per month and coach my sons Little League team (winter ball right now), right now almost my entire training program is geared toward athletic functional training that includes plyos, I'm 44 and still feel I play and move like I'm 25 again....my point, get your ass in athletic shape and go for it :D!!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 03:28:03 PM »
forget it....learn cricket instead...

cricket took a dump once and baseball ws born...

first a wittle bito fun

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1408602227918913001&q=cricket

o fuck i'll make a thread

carpe` vaginum!

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 11:12:44 PM »
ya cricket. great sport  ::)

playing baseball is not going to mess your body up any more than any other sport. we've got a guy on our team in his 40's and he's fine. the only thing that will hurt is your pride when you're striking out for the first month. hitting a baseball in one of the harder things to do in sports. take lots of BP and stick with it.

always sore......anyone who slides in softball/slowpitch co-ed league needs to be taken behind the dugout and have the shit kicked out of the them. there's nothing wrong with taking someone out in baseball, but in softball? that's pathetic

Go Big Red!!!

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 01:28:06 PM »
Oh jeez.  Hardball!  Don't be a pussy and show them what a 40 somethong's got.  Kick ass.  It's only baseball, not full contact football, which the kids in My neighborhood get me to play.  Now that takes something.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »
Oh jeez.  Hardball!  Don't be a pussy and show them what a 40 somethong's got.  Kick ass.  It's only baseball, not full contact football, which the kids in My neighborhood get me to play.  Now that takes something.

ROFLMAO  I hear ya. 
BKS - Guardian of Truth

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 03:33:56 PM »
i'm 38! i suck at baseball, butwhat is the problem here?! there are major league layers much older than u who play!  this is a no brainer!  ::)

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 04:02:05 PM »
i'm 38! i suck at baseball, butwhat is the problem here?! there are major league layers much older than u who play!  this is a no brainer!  ::)

True, they have been playing pretty much non-stop since they were about ten years old......look at Julio Franco, he's still a started at 48 years old with the numbers of a kid!

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »

No problem at all.  It came up the other day, seemed like an interesting idea at the time and I thought it would spark some good conversation here from some of the elder gents like myself.  :)

Personally I can't take another politics or war topic.
BKS - Guardian of Truth