Author Topic: CHICK YOUR THOUGHT ON THE LAST WORD  (Read 2984 times)

civello_06

• Getbig II
CHICK YOUR THOUGHT ON THE LAST WORD
« on: October 10, 2006, 06:44:17 PM »
Chick while I dont always agree with what you have to say you seem to be an educated person.For that reason I figured that even though your an IFBB employee you probably read MD and other bodybuilding magazines to get perspective of everyones view of bodybuilding from all angles.In the most recent MD John Romano comments on the recent Lee Priest/PDI fiasco.He wrote:

Why cant Lee compete in the NOC and turn around two weeks later and do the Olympia?Why cant anyone?For instance, and actor who does tv is a member of AFTRA.Lets say one day his agent calls and says he's got a movie part for him.Does the actor not do it because its a SAG job?Of course not!If an actor can act in two different unions and appear on tv and on film, why cant a bodybuilder bodybuild in two different organizations?

I'd like to know your opinion on this article as well as Romanos comments.I agree with im and as I stated in a sepereate but similar post to Lee, I feel the IFFB could benefit from a possible "war" between the two federations simliar to that of the WWF/WCW ratings wars back in the 90's.Obviously aside from Lee there arent many PDI guys that could compare to an IFBB athlete.Do you think the Wieders and the IFBB have had a headlock on the bodybuilding industry for so long that they refuse to give or even awknowledge the possible pros or cons of competition with another federation due to the very small fan base that follows bodybuilding?Even to the poit of banning an athlete as popular and marketable as Lee?Id like to hear ur thoughts.

civello_06

• Getbig II
Re: CHICK YOUR THOUGHT ON THE LAST WORD
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 06:35:10 PM »
You still on your honeymoon chik?Id like to hear your thoughts if your not to busy.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 07:46:22 PM »
Chick while I dont always agree with what you have to say you seem to be an educated person.For that reason I figured that even though your an IFBB employee you probably read MD and other bodybuilding magazines to get perspective of everyones view of bodybuilding from all angles.In the most recent MD John Romano comments on the recent Lee Priest/PDI fiasco.He wrote:

Why cant Lee compete in the NOC and turn around two weeks later and do the Olympia?Why cant anyone?For instance, and actor who does tv is a member of AFTRA.Lets say one day his agent calls and says he's got a movie part for him.Does the actor not do it because its a SAG job?Of course not!If an actor can act in two different unions and appear on tv and on film, why cant a bodybuilder bodybuild in two different organizations?

I'd like to know your opinion on this article as well as Romanos comments.I agree with im and as I stated in a sepereate but similar post to Lee, I feel the IFFB could benefit from a possible "war" between the two federations simliar to that of the WWF/WCW ratings wars back in the 90's.Obviously aside from Lee there arent many PDI guys that could compare to an IFBB athlete.Do you think the Wieders and the IFBB have had a headlock on the bodybuilding industry for so long that they refuse to give or even awknowledge the possible pros or cons of competition with another federation due to the very small fan base that follows bodybuilding?Even to the poit of banning an athlete as popular and marketable as Lee?Id like to hear ur thoughts.

I agree with you on the why can't they compete in both contests but using the SAG/Aftra analogy is off a little I think.  Nowadays they are both the same I think.  Their is no such thing as an AFTRA job.  Being a member of SAG allows you to work TV also.  I never joined AFTRA. I think the difference is AFTRA encompasses more than SAG.  SAG is basically screen presence and AFTRA includes, screen, music, radio, theater and whatever.  AFTRA I think includes other trades not just talent also. Not really sure.  Most actors are members of both unions especially if you work allot and in different industries like theater, film and TV.  I just never heard of someone not getting a job who is a member of SAF and not AFTRA when it is screen related.  WHo knows I may be wrong.

civello_06

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
It was actually Romano's anology, I just didnt want to misquote him.Interesting viewpoint on your part though.Still no word from Chick however. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's either still on his honeymoon or mabye his kid came as I heard his wife was pregnant.Congratulations on that by the way Chick.However, Im begining to think Chick cant answer back or give his opinion due to his affiliation with the IFBB.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »

First, lets get something perfectly clear...I'm not an employee of the IFBB.

John's analogy is a little off point. A better one would be that as a member of SAG (which I am)...I cannot work in film/ commercials for other non affiliated companies without violating the union policies, in which I agree to and pay to be a member of (yearly dues)... very much like the IFBB.

Could the IFBB benefit from a "war" of BB federations...damn right they could. Problem is, there isn't enough "worlds best" out there that another federation could pose any real competition for the IFBB. All the best guys are alreay with the same organization(IFBB)...there simply isn't that kind of depth of talent in the world.

Why WOULD the IFBB allow their athletes to compete elsewhere? Would you, if it were YOUR business? Hell no...

If I were running the IFBB, I would create MY OWN "other federation" and have them compete against each other...much like the WWE does now.

Hope this answers your question

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »

John's analogy is a little off point. A better one would be that as a member of SAG (which I am)...I cannot work in film/ commercials for other non affiliated companies without violating the union policies, in which I agree to and pay to be a member of (yearly dues)... very much like the IFBB.

Could the IFBB benefit from a "war" of BB federations...damn right they could. Problem is, there isn't enough "worlds best" out there that another federation could pose any real competition for the IFBB. All the best guys are alreay with the same organization(IFBB)...there simply isn't that kind of depth of talent in the world.

Why WOULD the IFBB allow their athletes to compete elsewhere? Would you, if it were YOUR business? Hell no...

If I were running the IFBB, I would create MY OWN "other federation" and have them compete against each other...much like the WWE does now.

Isn't this a slight contradiction?

I have to disagree though....I believe there is enough depth & talent.  Even back during the WBF stint there was. 

The idea of having the IFBB having two separate organizations would be a great idea (not only for the IFBB) but the contestants.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 10:12:39 PM »
Whats contradictory about it? You would simply take the guys in the IFBB, and split them in two...

The WBF ONLY took guys from the IFBB...there was no "new" talent.

WHATEVER...

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 11:04:15 PM »

John's analogy is a little off point. A better one would be that as a member of SAG(which I am)...I cannot work in film/ commercials for other non affiliated companies without violating the union policies, in which I agree to and pay to be a member of (yearly dues)... very much like the IFBB.

Is it not true that SAG is a labor union formed to protect performers? I think so. Last I check the IFBB was NOT a labor union and has NO responsibility to protect Pro BB'ers. That being said, I am not sure how your analogy is true. Please enlighten me if I have missed something here, Chick. BTW, I have held comment on this issue as I hoped the IFBB would realize that competition can be used in positive ways to further the sport.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 08:22:14 AM »
The analogy is that in  both SAG and the IFBB (and as I am a member of both)

I cannot make film/ compete for any other org.

I pay dues in both

There are certain priviledges that come with being a member of both

I have not said that thee IFBB is a union...It should be in my opinion, but that's a long way down the road if ever...

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 09:04:40 AM »
Whats contradictory about it? You would simply take the guys in the IFBB, and split them in two...

The WBF ONLY took guys from the IFBB...there was no "new" talent.

you didn't say this....thats why

civello_06

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »

Thanks Chick.I appreciate you answering.