Author Topic: So I wanna join the Army  (Read 3477 times)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
So I wanna join the Army
« on: October 12, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »
first of all, I am not too old.  I was surprized that they have raised the maximum age up to 42.  I was hideously overweight, and need to lose even more weight to get in

it seems like every few months, the newspaper has an article on how the Army is lowering it's standards yet again
X

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: So I wanna join the Army
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 09:50:58 AM »
first of all, I am not too old.  I was surprized that they have raised the maximum age up to 42.  I was hideously overweight, and need to lose even more weight to get in

it seems like every few months, the newspaper has an article on how the Army is lowering it's standards yet again

Well, if you're not really doing anything else productive, joining will give you some structure and something tro do for a few years. They'll even train/pay you!

Good luck! :)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:13:20 AM »
What role do women have in the army? washing dishes and cleaning the barracks?

Farcry

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »
women are restricted from combat jobs.  If you have no other options joining the army is a great way to get some money and pay for college.  Negative is that you'll probalby be gong to iraq

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:22 AM »
In Canada you would be front line.
No gender issues here.
Z

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 10:27:31 AM »
Just don't ask, don't tell 8)
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 10:37:35 AM »

Do it.  There is a need. 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 11:31:13 AM »
cannon fodder
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
Meddy,

I'm happy you are thinking about serving. Very noble.  What are your main reasons for wanting to enlist?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:10:56 PM »
Do it.  There is a need. 

I wish I could roll the clock back. I would re-enlist.
The House that Ruth built

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:28:45 PM »

I hear you.  I almost signed up again a couple years ago, but got beaten up by the wife and kids. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:32:34 PM »
I hear you.  I almost signed up again a couple years ago, but got beaten up by the wife and kids. 

Beach, when I was in the Marine Corps. I couldn't wait to get out. Now I wish I could enlist but can't. Realisticly if I joined I couldn't pay my bills on an NCO's salary. I would try to work something out though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »
Beach, when I was in the Marine Corps. I couldn't wait to get out. Now I wish I could enlist but can't. Realisticly if I joined I couldn't pay my bills on an NCO's salary. I would try to work something out though.

I was sort of the same way.  I was very happy to get out and go to grad school, but found myself trying to get back in years later.  I would have had to take a temporary pay cut too.  I was going to join the reserves and volunteer for duty in Iraq for one year.

Are you sure you're too old for the reserves?     

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 01:53:56 PM »
I was sort of the same way.  I was very happy to get out and go to grad school, but found myself trying to get back in years later.  I would have had to take a temporary pay cut too.  I was going to join the reserves and volunteer for duty in Iraq for one year.

Are you sure you're too old for the reserves?     

I am 45. I was in the reserves for a couple years in the mid 80's.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 02:45:49 PM »
I am 45. I was in the reserves for a couple years in the mid 80's.

You might want to give them a call.  The max age for reserves is higher than active duty.  They also offer waivers. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »
I'm with the half that want to re-enlist... i'm still young to but the fiance' is having a fit about me even thinkin about it..... but damn does it sound like fun i miss it but couldnt wait to get out when i was in.....

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »
Hope you don't get gangraped in Iraq.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 05:12:41 PM »
I like the way they spin it around (armed forces) and make it seem like youre 'joining' something

You're essentially giving everything away

Think carefully meddo's

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »
I like the way they spin it around (armed forces) and make it seem like youre 'joining' something

You're essentially giving everything away

Think carefully meddo's

True. In the armed forces you'll be working 12 hour days with not much free time. You'll also have a difficulty adjusting back to regular everyday norms after that kind of lifestyle.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 06:27:45 PM »
armed forces are not an easy road that is truth i have buddies who did rangers which isnt as deep as say delta force..... yeah it wasnt just a movie..... anyways they went thru a couple differant environment trainings and in the swamp he said guys feet were becoming rotten,  from being wet all the time. But they were still forced to march for ten miles after all that. He told me one guy tried to kevlar tape his boots to keep the D.S. from seeing the blood leak out. but to no avail the D.S. saw and made the guy quit the march 2 miles short of the finish point.... so Armed froces aint no joke thats for damn sure.....

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 11:01:14 PM »
Thats Ranger school..not fun at all. I'm not Ranger qual'ed i figured I'd suffered enough in the Marines. Why walk when u can ride...so i became a tanker. Anyway..Med if ur a linguist u will go to DLA and then be on the road to Iraq. Women may not be in Infantry billets but beyond that they run convoys..see combat just like the guys. Plenty of women man weapons or drive vehicles that get IED'd. Plenty have come home in boxes. Not my choice but really think about this. I would really think about what u ahve seen on th news... Be prepared for long days and weeks without much rest..sexual harrasment..bad food..shitheads trying to kill u. Seeing guys u know..dead or disfigured. Low pain...underappreciated. Use ur degree and become a contractor..same job..much better pay.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 12:21:18 AM »
You should already know they will take you back in.  Older than you returned to duty after 9/11.  It's a waiver away and they'll sign it in about 3 sec flat.