Author Topic: GUESS WHO IS THIS SPARTAN!  (Read 22853 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: GUESS WHO IS THIS SPARTAN!
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2006, 07:50:43 PM »
Congrats Alexxx!!! Thats a great gig--awesome. Hopefully your screen career will be far greater than mine (2 music video's...One "as the bouncer", the other "as the bouncer" LOL typecast again!

Congrats, spin that into bigger and bigger parts Alexxx...you have the height and build to stand out, use that to your advantage.

Hey thanks a lot for the shout out big dawg!! I have a lot to be thankfull for from you Dante. I am learning so much not only about training but also from the genuine person you are. I hope to act along side you someday.
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2006, 07:59:37 PM »
My friends dad has made a living for over 20 years being an extra and a stand-in.  They a surprising number of shows and films in Canada.  Much cheaper and I think it might not be a right to work state.  Not sure.  I know sometimes that comes into affect.  Hawaii is a right to work state nad the unions here are tough.  Back in the early 90's a few shows were shooting here and the local unions burned down there trucks and equipment.  Hawaii got a black eye then.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2006, 08:03:16 PM »
My friends dad has made a living for over 20 years being an extra and a stand-in.  They a surprising number of shows and films in Canada.  Much cheaper and I think it might not be a right to work state.  Not sure.  I know sometimes that comes into affect.  Hawaii is a right to work state nad the unions here are tough.  Back in the early 90's a few shows were shooting here and the local unions burned down there trucks and equipment.  Hawaii got a black eye then.

Hey Kieth since you know pretty much everything about hollywood, give me some tips on how to break into acting.
just push some weight!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2006, 08:05:03 PM »
Hey Kieth since you know pretty much everything about hollywood, give me some tips on how to break into acting.

;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting_couch
E

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2006, 11:46:37 PM »
It hasn't helped...

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2006, 02:21:23 AM »
Duh, what a comeback. When you have a wife and three kids let me know you 14 year old nerd. When you get your dick wet for the first time get back to me.

Don't blame me for your faults, the governor of NJ was a gay living the life of a straight man for many years, maybe one day you can build up the courage he displayed and come out of the closet.
I

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2006, 06:56:57 AM »
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2006, 12:00:30 PM »
Who would ever sleep with Onlyme?  :-\

Back before 1998 just about anyone I wanted to.  Son, first off you are serious about this industry you truly will need to change your attitude.  You will not make it living in Canada either.  You better save your tips you get from delivering pizza and move to LA.  Doing extra work is fun but generally won't any bills.  One thing about being an extra unless you are very normal looking you won't be in more than one scene.  If you stick out and the scene has a part for someone tall and lanky like you then you could be in more.  I actually didn't do any extra work and even had my SAG card paid for by the producer of a commercial I did.

What you should have done or do next time is get in good with someone on the set who has some kind of power.  It is easy for them to write in a part for someone they want to give a card too.  What would happened is you would get a line or two or even be center frame for an extended amount of time and you would become eligible to work under Taft/Hartley.  You could use this for the next 30 days which means you don't have to join the union and still get union benefits including pay scale, insurance, and other benefits.  After the 30 days you are called a "must-sign".  This means before you work another union job you would have to join the union (SAG).  But you need to realize that unless you intend to stay n the business or the job you have coming up pays you more than the SAG fee then it is not worth it to join.  I have seen people who have joined SAG and never worked again.  They made the initial joining fee of $600+ and only made $400 or $500 on the show.  There is not a better business to get into than acting.  It is fun, pays unreal and it neat to have people wait on you hand and foot.  I mean my zipper was down one time on set and a girl comes up and zips it up for me.  Now that's a great life.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »
don't listen to onlyme.  what he demands out of you, you can't accomplish.

i'd just follow the "casting couch" link.
Deep Tissue Massage

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2006, 12:38:19 PM »
don't listen to onlyme.  what he demands out of you, you can't accomplish.

i'd just follow the "casting couch" link.

Actually you may be right.  But, then have you seen a pic of Alexxx

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2006, 01:18:01 PM »
Back before 1998 just about anyone I wanted to.  Son, first off you are serious about this industry you truly will need to change your attitude.  You will not make it living in Canada either.  You better save your tips you get from delivering pizza and move to LA.  Doing extra work is fun but generally won't any bills.  One thing about being an extra unless you are very normal looking you won't be in more than one scene.  If you stick out and the scene has a part for someone tall and lanky like you then you could be in more.  I actually didn't do any extra work and even had my SAG card paid for by the producer of a commercial I did.

What you should have done or do next time is get in good with someone on the set who has some kind of power.  It is easy for them to write in a part for someone they want to give a card too.  What would happened is you would get a line or two or even be center frame for an extended amount of time and you would become eligible to work under Taft/Hartley.  You could use this for the next 30 days which means you don't have to join the union and still get union benefits including pay scale, insurance, and other benefits.  After the 30 days you are called a "must-sign".  This means before you work another union job you would have to join the union (SAG).  But you need to realize that unless you intend to stay n the business or the job you have coming up pays you more than the SAG fee then it is not worth it to join.  I have seen people who have joined SAG and never worked again.  They made the initial joining fee of $600+ and only made $400 or $500 on the show.  There is not a better business to get into than acting.  It is fun, pays unreal and it neat to have people wait on you hand and foot.  I mean my zipper was down one time on set and a girl comes up and zips it up for me.  Now that's a great life.

That's not a half bad answer! So where are the best places right now for an actor in the making? I don't do extra stuff anymore but have an agent. Thing is she represents about a 1000 actors and models. So far I went to audition for a commercial christmas gay stuff so I didn't get it.
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2006, 02:03:30 PM »
That's not a half bad answer! So where are the best places right now for an actor in the making? I don't do extra stuff anymore but have an agent. Thing is she represents about a 1000 actors and models. So far I went to audition for a commercial christmas gay stuff so I didn't get it.

First is she a SAG affiliate agent.  If not she is useless.  Also, as a "newby" I would go with an agent that has a 1000 clients.  If you are really 6' 4" you need to get an agent that specializes in athletes.  They are the ones who the production companies, casting directors would call first on a roll for someone your hegiht and size.  I was represented by Prima Modeling at one time.  They were a huge modeling agency that got into the talent side.  I was an oddity but got some good work from them.  Not as much as I would have liked cause they were a modeling agency.  The head of the talent side was from a very well known family in the industry and his dad was and still is one of the biggest Hollywood managers around.  You also need to check the trades and see if you see something you thnk you would want to go read for.  Call your agent and have them set up an interview.  One thing  though about a SAG job is they usually like to hire union.  So it's a little Catch 22.  Thats why having a SAG card is such a big thing. I was lucky how I got mine.  Also, you need to know that your agent only gets paid on jobs they get you.  I got allot fo jobs on my own because of who I knew.  At the beginning I would get a job and call my agent and let them handle it.  Then I was told my my buddy Rosie that you don't have to tell your agent or pay or agent for jobs they didn't get you.  Generally your contract says your fee plus 10% for your agent.  You actually don't take money out of your pocket to pay your agent.  Your manager will usually get a percentage out of your pay.  Sometime though the agent does take a percentage if the contract is so big.  Like a Stallone or someone who makes millions, the agent may take a percentage.  But, don't worry about that yet.  Get your card it opens allot of doors.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2006, 08:19:12 PM »
First is she a SAG affiliate agent.  If not she is useless.  Also, as a "newby" I would go with an agent that has a 1000 clients.  If you are really 6' 4" you need to get an agent that specializes in athletes.  They are the ones who the production companies, casting directors would call first on a roll for someone your hegiht and size.  I was represented by Prima Modeling at one time.  They were a huge modeling agency that got into the talent side.  I was an oddity but got some good work from them.  Not as much as I would have liked cause they were a modeling agency.  The head of the talent side was from a very well known family in the industry and his dad was and still is one of the biggest Hollywood managers around.  You also need to check the trades and see if you see something you thnk you would want to go read for.  Call your agent and have them set up an interview.  One thing  though about a SAG job is they usually like to hire union.  So it's a little Catch 22.  Thats why having a SAG card is such a big thing. I was lucky how I got mine.  Also, you need to know that your agent only gets paid on jobs they get you.  I got allot fo jobs on my own because of who I knew.  At the beginning I would get a job and call my agent and let them handle it.  Then I was told my my buddy Rosie that you don't have to tell your agent or pay or agent for jobs they didn't get you.  Generally your contract says your fee plus 10% for your agent.  You actually don't take money out of your pocket to pay your agent.  Your manager will usually get a percentage out of your pay.  Sometime though the agent does take a percentage if the contract is so big.  Like a Stallone or someone who makes millions, the agent may take a percentage.  But, don't worry about that yet.  Get your card it opens allot of doors.

Thank you Onlyme! This should help me a great deal. The agency I am with is the oldest one in montreal and has a diversity of different ethnic backgrounds. I am not sure if she is a sag affiliate and I don't have an actra card. I will try to get my card somehow.. my best friend has it but he is not into acting anymore so maybe I will borrow his... :-\

By checking the trades do you mean see what movies are playing and ask my agent to try and get me a role there?

Also is it a good idea to just show up out of the blue and suprise the director on stage where he is filming his movie in an attempt to get cast? ;D
just push some weight!

AVBG

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2006, 08:26:46 PM »

Also is it a good idea to just show up out of the blue and suprise the director on stage where he is filming his movie in an attempt to get cast? ;D

I can see it now, the director sitting in his chair.. the great alexxx jumps out of nowhere.. screaming out "gimme the role".. next thing you know, the director leans over to the producer and says.. "get security"..  ;D

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2006, 08:27:28 PM »
I can see it now, the director sitting in his chair.. the great alexxx jumps out of nowhere.. screaming out "gimme the role".. next thing you know, the director leans over to the producer and says.. "get security"..  ;D

Well that would be publicity... ;D
just push some weight!

Stavios

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2006, 08:29:39 PM »
Thank you Onlyme! This should help me a great deal. The agency I am with is the oldest one in montreal and has a diversity of different ethnic backgrounds. I am not sure if she is a sag affiliate and I don't have an actra card. I will try to get my card somehow.. my best friend has it.

By checking the trades do you mean see what movies are playing and ask my agent to try and get me a role there?

If you watch "Lance et compte" at TVA, CT had a part in an episode last week

maybe he can give you tips on that

AVBG

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2006, 08:32:16 PM »
Well that would be publicity... ;D

You're right, there is no such thing as bad publicity!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:58 AM »
Thank you Onlyme! This should help me a great deal. The agency I am with is the oldest one in montreal and has a diversity of different ethnic backgrounds. I am not sure if she is a sag affiliate and I don't have an actra card. I will try to get my card somehow.. my best friend has it but he is not into acting anymore so maybe I will borrow his... :-\

I forgot you are in Canada.  Not even sure if they have SAG or AFTRA up there.  Trades are the publications like Variety, Drama Logue(?) and a couple other.  Been awhile.  You can read through them and see what films are being shot at the time and in the future.  What allot of production companies do is send out a general fax to every agency with a description of what they are looking for.  Also, do you have your headshots done.  You need a headshot with about 4 or 5 small pics of you on the other side with you in different clothes and/or scenarios.  It would list you height, weight, and sizes sometimes.  If you have a resume staple it on the back.  Don't hand them more than one piece of paper cause they will get separated or lost.  You get very little time with casting directors.  The easier the better for them.  Keep everything as simple as possible but show as much as possible.  Headshots are very important.  Some people look great in person but suck on screen or in print.  For your pics on the back have them of things you are good at or look good in.  If you look like shit in a tux then don't put a pic of you in one. 

My headshot and pics were just what I had on hand.  I didn't shoot anything special except for the headshot.  The thing that got me parts was my build and the fact I could talk and act.  I haven't been in the business since 1995 whihc the last thing I did was a McDonalds commercial.  No I didn't eat anything, I actually had to take a chainsaw to the old menu board and introduced the new money-saving menu board.  Kind of fun playing with the chainsaw and making the director nervous when I had to sweep in front of the camera as close as possible.  He kept me at distance with a broom stick so I wouldn't chop up the $100,000 camera.

Anyway good luck it is a great business to get into. 

sandstone

• Getbig II
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2006, 06:35:03 AM »
you idiots. it takes months after principal filming to cut a trailer together. dont you think alexx would have mentioned he was a extra in a movie long before the trailer hit..

show us some off screen pics of you on the "set". if its true, i salute you but so far im calling bullshit.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2006, 08:51:26 AM »
If you watch "Lance et compte" at TVA, CT had a part in an episode last week

maybe he can give you tips on that

That's cool man. Thanks.
just push some weight!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2006, 08:55:07 AM »
I forgot you are in Canada.  Not even sure if they have SAG or AFTRA up there.  Trades are the publications like Variety, Drama Logue(?) and a couple other.  Been awhile.  You can read through them and see what films are being shot at the time and in the future.  What allot of production companies do is send out a general fax to every agency with a description of what they are looking for.  Also, do you have your headshots done.  You need a headshot with about 4 or 5 small pics of you on the other side with you in different clothes and/or scenarios.  It would list you height, weight, and sizes sometimes.  If you have a resume staple it on the back.  Don't hand them more than one piece of paper cause they will get separated or lost.  You get very little time with casting directors.  The easier the better for them.  Keep everything as simple as possible but show as much as possible.  Headshots are very important.  Some people look great in person but suck on screen or in print.  For your pics on the back have them of things you are good at or look good in.  If you look like shit in a tux then don't put a pic of you in one. 

My headshot and pics were just what I had on hand.  I didn't shoot anything special except for the headshot.  The thing that got me parts was my build and the fact I could talk and act.  I haven't been in the business since 1995 whihc the last thing I did was a McDonalds commercial.  No I didn't eat anything, I actually had to take a chainsaw to the old menu board and introduced the new money-saving menu board.  Kind of fun playing with the chainsaw and making the director nervous when I had to sweep in front of the camera as close as possible.  He kept me at distance with a broom stick so I wouldn't chop up the $100,000 camera.

Anyway good luck it is a great business to get into. 

Hey Keith, in Canada we have ACTRA but I am not a member. I need 6 credits and so far have zero. I did a headshot for my card but I was skinting my eyes too much lol. Anyways this is the front with my portrait on the bottom (ofcourse I was not in the shape I am in today):

BTW you look massive in that arm wrestling shot!

just push some weight!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2006, 08:57:47 AM »
you idiots. it takes months after principal filming to cut a trailer together. dont you think alexx would have mentioned he was a extra in a movie long before the trailer hit..

show us some off screen pics of you on the "set". if its true, i salute you but so far im calling bullshit.

I did mention it months ago. Go look for it. As for on set shots I do not have any, we didn't get to keep any. Some little girl did take a picture of massive me so go look for a little girl.
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2006, 11:24:37 AM »
Hey Keith, in Canada we have ACTRA but I am not a member. I need 6 credits and so far have zero. I did a headshot for my card but I was skinting my eyes too much lol. Anyways this is the front with my portrait on the bottom (ofcourse I was not in the shape I am in today):

BTW you look massive in that arm wrestling shot!

Take your pic in black & white.  Always makes you look better.  Plus, color is too expensive.  I don't understand credits(?)  What is that mean?  You mean your name at the end of a show.  If thats the case then it is harder up there it sounds like.  If you find a producer or director to sposnoring you, you can get a card with just the sponsorship.  They would put together a letter saying they are shooting a union film and you are perfect for a role.  They would issue you a card right there.  I'm not sure how much dues are.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2006, 11:29:43 AM »
Onlyme... credits are like points... for each screen appearance you do, you get a certain amount of points/credits. Once you reach the required number you can apply for your ACTRA card (or UDA ard if you are french speaking).

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2006, 12:46:09 PM »
Onlyme... credits are like points... for each screen appearance you do, you get a certain amount of points/credits. Once you reach the required number you can apply for your ACTRA card (or UDA ard if you are french speaking).

Thanks never heard of that before.  Is that how it is here for SAG now or AFTRA