Author Topic: Sexual Mustard  (Read 1800 times)

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
Sexual Mustard
« on: October 17, 2006, 06:13:37 AM »
A few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Did Jim Lee kill comics with WildCats?

2. WTF happened with Whilce Portacio, his stuff used to be so good, and then post WetWorks  :-[

3. Why the fck don't they put John Romita Jr. back on Punisher?

4. What book are you on now?

5. Is the business as exciting as you thought it'd be, or do the deadline pressures kill the fun?

If you don't want to post anything, please PM me. I aspired to draw comics, went to school for Illustration but lost my passion for it mid 90's when Image came out and IMO destroyed comics. Sometimes I think about putting together a new portfolio, but I'm usually overrun with my work and family obligations.

Thanks man,

RM

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: Sexual Mustard
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:20:03 AM »
I have a question too.

What do you do when youv'e lost your mojo?

I'm not kidding. I have considerable artistic talent as well, I've actually sold quite a few portraits. The thing is I just stopped doing it over ten years ago and I just can't get back into it. I try and I just lose focus and give up. This ever happen to you?

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 06:21:05 AM »
1. No, and actually he's more popular than ever now.  
2. Yeah, no kidding.... who knows?  Back then Scott Williams used to ink him, so maybe that has something to do with it.
3. Haven't been keeping up with Punisher, so don't know who's been working on it.
4. Haha... that would just about give me away.  :)
5. It kind of loses its magic after you've broken in and find out how things work.  Deadlines and politics don't help either.

Sorry you've been disenchanted with the industry. PM me with links to your stuff; I'd be more than happy to critique your work if you're still interested in art.

Best,
SM

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:23:30 AM »
A few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Did Jim Lee kill comics with WildCats?

2. WTF happened with Whilce Portacio, his stuff used to be so good, and then post WetWorks  :-[

3. Why the fck don't they put John Romita Jr. back on Punisher?

4. What book are you on now?

5. Is the business as exciting as you thought it'd be, or do the deadline pressures kill the fun?

If you don't want to post anything, please PM me. I aspired to draw comics, went to school for Illustration but lost my passion for it mid 90's when Image came out and IMO destroyed comics. Sometimes I think about putting together a new portfolio, but I'm usually overrun with my work and family obligations.

Thanks man,

RM

first, out of all the Image books Wildcats was probably the best.  Lots of things hurt the industry back then but I think it's doing fine now.  what hurt Image was Rob Liefeld.  he broke some cardinal rules that were set up when Image was founded.  he stole an artist from another creator and then everything started to unravel.  the whole "pocket universe" story that happened right around the Onslaught storyline didn't help image cause i think Jim Lee and Rob Lifeld went back to marvel for a little while.  Lee's doing great, he'd done some verry popular books, his run on Batman with the whole "return of Jason todd" storyline was huge.  His run on Superman was good and now he's doing a pretty hot book with all-star batman.  I Whilce Portacio pretty much blew it with WetWorks...did that ever even come out?  I think him and Liefeld are pretty much done.  Liefeld gets no respect in the industry right now, hell you can't even say his name w/o poeple loosing thier minds.  He's pretty much comic book poison.

That's all I can really comment on, I don't know the rest but I agree with you that Image really hurt comics for awhile but I think the industry is doing fine right now.
nasser=piece of shit

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 06:27:32 AM »
I have a question too.

What do you do when youv'e lost your mojo?

I'm not kidding. I have considerable artistic talent as well, I've actually sold quite a few portraits. The thing is I just stopped doing it over ten years ago and I just can't get back into it. I try and I just lose focus and give up. This ever happen to you?

I haven't been through a stretch that long to actually "lose" it, as you put it.  But it's kind of like muscle memory, to use an analogy--if you've had it once before, you can regain it and even surpass it.

My question is: why did you give it up in the first place?  And do you really want to get back into it?  Because if you want to bad enough, you'll find the focus.  Perhaps you just need the proper motivation.  What worked for me (and still to this day) is looking for an artist who is doing well, but sucks worse than myself.  That was enough fire to get me to say, "I'll show them..." Then I'd practice and market myself like hell, often trying to find ways to push my art in his/her clients' faces.  

Another thing is perhaps you've never had a proper critique (at least not one in a long time) from another pro; not knowing what to improve on will get you stuck and uninspired.  PM me if you're serious about getting better, and I'll be more than happy to look at your work if you've got a thick skin.

I actually do quite a bit of commissioned portrait work myself, but due to deadlines with other projects, I've had to cut that down.

Best,
SM  

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:29:53 AM »
1. No, and actually he's more popular than ever now.  yeah, I've read the Batman stuff. This ? was tongue in cheek
2. Yeah, no kidding.... who knows?  Back then Scott Williams used to ink him, so maybe that has something to do with it. Makes sense, Williams is a magician.
3. Haven't been keeping up with Punisher, so don't know who's been working on it. I was alluding to Romitas excellence more than current Punisher, LOL
4. Haha... that would just about give me away.  :)Yeah but then I'd buy the comic
5. It kind of loses its magic after you've broken in and find out how things work.  Deadlines and politics don't help either. That's what I thought.

Sorry you've been disenchanted with the industry. PM me with links to your stuff; I'd be more than happy to critique your work if you're still interested in art. I need subject matter to begin drawing again. I'm imaginative, but not focused enough as a writer to plot my own story.

Best,
SM

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 06:31:23 AM »
Thanks again for your reply.

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 06:31:40 AM »
first, out of all the Image books Wildcats was probably the best.  Lots of things hurt the industry back then but I think it's doing fine now.  what hurt Image was Rob Liefeld.  he broke some cardinal rules that were set up when Image was founded.  he stole an artist from another creator and then everything started to unravel.  the whole "pocket universe" story that happened right around the Onslaught storyline didn't help image cause i think Jim Lee and Rob Lifeld went back to marvel for a little while.  Lee's doing great, he'd done some verry popular books, his run on Batman with the whole "return of Jason todd" storyline was huge.  His run on Superman was good and now he's doing a pretty hot book with all-star batman.  I Whilce Portacio pretty much blew it with WetWorks...did that ever even come out?  I think him and Liefeld are pretty much done.  Liefeld gets no respect in the industry right now, hell you can't even say his name w/o poeple loosing thier minds.  He's pretty much comic book poison.

That's all I can really comment on, I don't know the rest but I agree with you that Image really hurt comics for awhile but I think the industry is doing fine right now.

Yeah, artists like Liefeld aren't doing the industry any favors by burning everyone's eyes with his art LOL  And I think intially Image actually stirred quite a bit of excitement and helped the industry at first--then quickly developed a reputation for its creators' slackiness and laziness.  McFarlane was most consistent with "Spawn," but his run still wasn't perfect.  Dale Keown's "Pitt" was pathetic--I remember it seemed to take him years before his title even got into the teens.  No responsibility...not that I'm perfect, either.

SM

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 06:36:03 AM »
Thanks again for your reply.

No prob.  As for needing some focus to draw, it starts with what you enjoy drawing in general.  Myself, drawing hot chicks is always fun and fans dig it, so I usually will base a plot around that---making sure there's a reason for me to show that ability off.  Whether it's a sexy superhero chicks, a scene that takes place in a strip club, whatever you can imagine.

SM

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 06:36:35 AM »
I went to go buy the 300 Graphic Novel at the book store last night and it was out.  I came home with a Physics and History book and a book on noteworthy speeches. I never get out of a bookstore empty handed hahah.

I then ordered more online!   Might I recommend andy of Sam Harris books debunking Christianity.  Here is an interesting factoid in the book.

44 percent of Americans believe that Jesus Christ is coming back from the dead in the next 50 years.

hahahah. I am embarrassed of this nation.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 06:38:47 AM »
Yeah, artists like Liefeld aren't doing the industry any favors by burning everyone's eyes with his art LOL  And I think intially Image actually stirred quite a bit of excitement and helped the industry at first--then quickly developed a reputation for its creators' slackiness and laziness.  McFarlane was most consistent with "Spawn," but his run still wasn't perfect.  Dale Keown's "Pitt" was pathetic--I remember it seemed to take him years before his title even got into the teens.  No responsibility...not that I'm perfect, either.

SM

when I talked about Liefeld I meant there really isn't anything he's working on...it seems to me, as a fan, that he's pretty much poison on anything he touches.  he drew a couple of issues of Titans and I thought it was very good but i remember people on message boards going nuts about it, saying how much he sucked, Youngblood was ok at the time but when I look at it now, it's not really that good.  All the characters he comes up with are pretty much run of the mill copycats of existing characters.  I agree with you about Image, everyone was sucked in for awhile but then it just kinda fell apart.
nasser=piece of shit

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »
Please don't hijack this thread Adam.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 06:39:57 AM »
Please don't hijack this thread Adam.

I was thinking the same thing.
nasser=piece of shit

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 06:40:04 AM »
when I talked about Liefeld I meant there really isn't anything he's working on...it seems to me, as a fan, that he's pretty much poison on anything he touches.  he drew a couple of issues of Titans and I thought it was very good but i remember people on message boards going nuts about it, saying how much he sucked, Youngblood was ok at the time but when I look at it now, it's not really that good.  All the characters he comes up with are pretty much run of the mill copycats of existing characters.  I agree with you about Image, everyone was sucked in for awhile but then it just kinda fell apart.

Liefeld was never any good, but he popularized the two page splash crotch shot jumping superhero bullshit.

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 06:47:15 AM »

He's actually got some Marvel work coming out, but yeah he's very irritating to fans and even pros. Just think of who you think is the most hated/controversial pro in BBing, and Liefeld is the equivalent. 

When I was in jr. high, I thought he was cool, too as I fell for the hype.  But even back then as a young aspiring artist, I knew his stuff looked "odd," and my perception of him got even worse as I got better myself.  I must have surpassed his artistic level at, what, 11th grade??  LOL

Best,
SM

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »
He's actually got some Marvel work coming out, but yeah he's very irritating to fans and even pros. Just think of who you think is the most hated/controversial pro in BBing, and Liefeld is the equivalent. 

When I was in jr. high, I thought he was cool, too as I fell for the hype.  But even back then as a young aspiring artist, I knew his stuff looked "odd," and my perception of him got even worse as I got better myself.  I must have surpassed his artistic level at, what, 11th grade??  LOL

Best,
SM

I was better than Liefeld as soon as I started copying Jim Lee's work (like I'm sure tons of kids did), around the 10th grade.

The artists who helped me grow the most were probably Mike Mignola, Frank Miller, Whilce Portacio and Erik Larsen (early Savage Dragon was crazy good).

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 06:54:52 AM »
Not surprising what you say about Liefeld being despised by the pros. He always came off like a twat.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 07:11:16 AM »
sorry i just have to make a comment, adam you have shown total and complete lack of knowledge on every subject you talk about and talking about what books you buy doesn't make you sound any more intelligent.

if you want a good book about religion from a ontological and philisophical as well as physics oriented then read wonder of the world by templeton prize winner ray abraham varghese. it converted antony flew the worlds leading atheist and is a very intelligle yet hard to decipher book.

sorry RM will be my last comment in your thread.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 07:12:42 AM »
Not surprising what you say about Liefeld being despised by the pros. He always came off like a twat.

he did a good job on New Mutants and Cable was ok when he first came out but everything after that seemed redundant.
nasser=piece of shit

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 11:04:13 AM »
I went to go buy the 300 Graphic Novel at the book store last night and it was out.  I came home with a Physics and History book and a book on noteworthy speeches. I never get out of a bookstore empty handed hahah.

I then ordered more online!   Might I recommend andy of Sam Harris books debunking Christianity.  Here is an interesting factoid in the book.

44 percent of Americans believe that Jesus Christ is coming back from the dead in the next 50 years.

hahahah. I am embarrassed of this nation.

Please tell me more about this book! I've hated christianity since long before I got kicked out of catholic school in the 7th grade. hahhahaha I remember as a kid doing the sign of the cross with my middle finger. In the 7th grade we had to color a picture of saint Joseph and his animal buddies and I drew them all doing drugs. Joe was smokin a blunt and his rabbits were sniffing coke. That was in the 4th grade!!! AHAHAH what sweet memories...
~