Author Topic: Will the Earth last for ever?  (Read 1776 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Will the Earth last for ever?
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »
Will the Earth last for ever?

The bible says several different things:

Here it says for ever:

Deuteronomy 4:40
    That thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for ever.

Psalm 37:29
    The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.

Psalm 78:69
    The earth which he hath established for ever.

Psalm 104:5
    Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Ecclessiastes 1:4
    One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

Here it says won't last forever:

Psalm 102:25-26
    The earth and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish.

Isaiah 65:17
    For, behold, I create a new heavens and a new earth.

Matthew 5:18
    For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Matthew 24:35, Mark 13:31, Luke 21:33
    Heaven and earth shall pass away; but my words shall not pass away.

Hebrews 1:10-11
    Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands. They shall perish.

2 Peter 3:10
    The heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

2 Peter 3:13
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth.

Revelation 21:1
    And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away.

Just curious here   ;D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Will the Earth last for ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 01:12:19 PM »
i cant add anything to the thread but if there is no god, and he doesnt intervene then earth will end. we are a cancer basically.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:24:02 PM »
When the sun goes into its red giant phase the earth will be toast.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »
So is the Bible wrong or right here?  or both? 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:54:56 PM »
i havent read the bible because but intend to along with other religious books as well. however, i do find it funny that people argue points or attributes of god like if there was a god we would be equipped to conceive of him properly and accurately. the point of godlines is above humans so the argument rest on the shoulders of ontological and philosophical giants(which are impossible to prove ala speculation). basically what im getting at is things like free will etc.... are an illusion conceptually if god has a predetermined path, or perhaps he doesnt, we cant comprehend this abstract concept. so do i think the bible is wrong perhaps, but i believe in a god but am agnostic in relation to the principles of my god. so he could intervene but perhaps that is the point of life is no intervention, i dont know nor does anyone who isnt god.

but i know your question as posited would make either a yes or no answer incorrect, in that either answer goes against the contradicting quotes from the bible. but for my prediction, yes i think we humans will end the world not in a complete sense but in terms of our exsistence on it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:55:43 PM »
I think it's all about context.  In some references "forever" means until it's gone or until you die.  In other contexts it is an eternity.  I've heard someone explain it using the Greek words, but cannot remember exactly what they said.  

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:56:26 PM »
sorry for the nebulous answer with multiple brief concepts but i felt it necessary to mention them.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 01:57:34 PM »
exactly beach bum, my point about not in a complete sense touches upon this in that we may be gone but i dont think the earth will end eternally.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 06:14:40 AM »
Science overtakes religion on this one. The sun will eventually expand and become a red giant, swallowing up earth and everything in it. By then, Earth will have been uninhabitable for centuries so it won't matter.