Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to a 1080p capable TV yet?  (Read 1138 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Has anyone upgraded to a 1080p capable TV yet?
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:40:26 PM »
Since this is a board full of mostly guys I'm sure there are more than a few people that love tv's.

For those that don't know the new standard in HDTV's is 1080p instead of the older 1080i or 720p. Has anyone upgraded yet? And once this whole Blu-Ray or HDDVD thing is really settled good high definition DVD players will be on the market. There are some on the market now but their first generation which means they're expensive and not very good. 1080p DVD's should set a new standard for watching HD movies.

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Has anyone upgraded to a 1080p capable TV yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »
Since this is a board full of mostly guys I'm sure there are more than a few people that love tv's.

For those that don't know the new standard in HDTV's is 1080p instead of the older 1080i or 720p. Has anyone upgraded yet? And once this whole Blu-Ray or HDDVD thing is really settled good high definition DVD players will be on the market. There are some on the market now but their first generation which means they're expensive and not very good. 1080p DVD's should set a new standard for watching HD movies.

There are not many projection display products other than a couple of single chip DLP projectors, plasmas from Pioneer (only in the 50" range), and Sharp's new lineup of LCD TV. My advice would be to wait until a single standard is picked for hi-def DVD. My opinion is that Blu-Ray will end up being the standard (primarily because of the greater number of manufacturers and movie studios endorsing it) along with the important support of the adult software in industry. I just purchased a new Marantz 1080p projector. The image is beautiful.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »
There are not many projection display products other than a couple of single chip DLP projectors, plasmas from Pioneer (only in the 50" range), and Sharp's new lineup of LCD TV. My advice would be to wait until a single standard is picked for hi-def DVD. My opinion is that Blu-Ray will end up being the standard (primarily because of the greater number of manufacturers and movie studios endorsing it) along with the important support of the adult software in industry. I just purchased a new Marantz 1080p projector. The image is beautiful.

I hope you made sure the HDMI inputs were of the 1.3 variety so that they can accept a true 1080p signal. Which I'm sure is the case since Marantz is high end gear. It's not very common here in the US. They make nice gear though.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 06:47:11 PM »
Wouldn't make sense to do it now because there are no 1080p broadcasts. And to upgrade for sake of HDDVD is a big jump.

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:07:59 PM »
I hope you made sure the HDMI inputs were of the 1.3 variety so that they can accept a true 1080p signal. Which I'm sure is the case since Marantz is high end gear. It's not very common here in the US. They make nice gear though.

Version 1.3 HDMI has not been approved yet. Most of the new Marantz gear is Version 1.2 and does a complete passthrough of both audio and video through HDMI. Denon and Marantz merged their operations last year. They also own MacIntosh, Boston Acoustics, Snell Acoustics, and Escient.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:10:43 PM »
Wouldn't make sense to do it now because there are no 1080p broadcasts. And to upgrade for sake of HDDVD is a big jump.

I see your point regarding broadcast HD but if you're buying a tv now I certainly would spend the little bit extra and go with 1080p. The Blu-Ray and HD DVD war will be settled in less than a year and more and more DVD's will be released with 1080p content. Also the players will come down in price to reasonable levels by that time as well.

My opinion if you're buying now buy 1080p and make sure the tv has 2 HDMI inputs.

Version 1.3 HDMI has not been approved yet. Most of the new Marantz gear is Version 1.2 and does a complete passthrough of both audio and video through HDMI. Denon and Marantz merged their operations last year. They also own MacIntosh, Boston Acoustics, Snell Acoustics, and Escient.

You're right it hasn't been released yet although I didn't know it hadn't been approved. I was under the impression that the PS3 featured 1.3 HDMI inputs and that's being released next month.

From what I've been reading by the end of the first quarter of 2007 new TVs and DVD Players will have the 1.3 inputs. I'm anxious to see what a true 1080p signal from a DVD will look like on a tv that can handle true 1080p. On screens above 50" it should be quite spectacular as long as the DVD was encoded well.

And it certainly seems like Blu-Ray has the lead but Microsoft, Intel and Toshiba all back HD DVD so it might be quite a battle. Although from the specs I've read Blu-Ray seems to offer more. Or at least it has the capability to offer more.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 02:30:19 PM »
I see your point regarding broadcast HD but if you're buying a tv now I certainly would spend the little bit extra and go with 1080p. The Blu-Ray and HD DVD war will be settled in less than a year and more and more DVD's will be released with 1080p content. Also the players will come down in price to reasonable levels by that time as well.
Sorry I thought you were asking if you had a 1080i or 720p HDTV would you upgrade to 1080p. If I were buying today I would go 1080p.

You're right it hasn't been released yet although I didn't know it hadn't been approved. I was under the impression that the PS3 featured 1.3 HDMI inputs and that's being released next month.

From what I've been reading by the end of the first quarter of 2007 new TVs and DVD Players will have the 1.3 inputs. I'm anxious to see what a true 1080p signal from a DVD will look like on a tv that can handle true 1080p. On screens above 50" it should be quite spectacular as long as the DVD was encoded well.

And it certainly seems like Blu-Ray has the lead but Microsoft, Intel and Toshiba all back HD DVD so it might be quite a battle. Although from the specs I've read Blu-Ray seems to offer more. Or at least it has the capability to offer more.
Unless you are a TV enthusiast, the average person wouldn't be able to see the difference in the 1080i to 1080p upgrade. Subtle to most people.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 03:06:21 PM »
I am about to buy one and after viewing all brands and TV`s Samsung LCD seems to be the best by far.

TorontoRaptorsFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »
TA,

You should stick with plasma televisions. My advice would be the new Pioneer 50" that is 1080P capable. It will be available in the next month or so.

I had an opportunity to see it when it was first unveiled and the picture was stunning. I'm not a big fan of Samsung.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 05:16:01 PM »
TA,

You should stick with plasma televisions. My advice would be the new Pioneer 50" that is 1080P capable. It will be available in the next month or so.

I had an opportunity to see it when it was first unveiled and the picture was stunning. I'm not a big fan of Samsung.

He is correct, while I'm not sure which Pioneer he's talking about they are considered the best of the mainstream plasma manufacturers. So buying a Pioneer is a very good choice. I prefer Rear Projection DLP, I think that offers the best bang for the buck. As long as you don't have to hang your tv on the wall DLP's are fantastic.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 08:30:01 PM »
I have a 24" 'Suny' rear projection

her names Betty

weve been thru a lot together and shes irreplacable xox

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 08:37:37 PM »
Unless you are a TV enthusiast, the average person wouldn't be able to see the difference in the 1080i to 1080p upgrade. Subtle to most people.

I agree for the most part but I think it will be more apparent on larger displays. The bigger the screen the more difference 1080p will make.

Historian Yates

• Getbig V
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! & I'm a llama! & Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 08:39:52 PM »
I finally "upgraded" to 1080i for my 360. I don't really watch TV (other than sports) or movies, and depending on who you listen to, it's likely impossible for the 360 to do 1080p, I didn't see the need to spend an extra grand for a resolution that will be probably be down to $500 by the time I'm ready for it.

Plus I'd be lying if I said I could tell the difference between 720p, 1080i and 1080p.