Author Topic: Dorian at the 94 Olympia...holy shit...  (Read 23978 times)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
Re: Dorian at the 94 Olympia...holy shit...
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2006, 05:30:18 PM »

I am just calling the truth as is obvious: the man had flawed arms and quads. they were smooth for someone as dominating as yates was supposed to be.

The fact is, the man had relatively smooth arms and quads and this is apparent in countless pics and videos.

you guys are saying that he didn't and that you have to see them up close and they will look fantastic.

But what does that do for the guys who have quads and arms that ALREADY look fantastic?

seems like an excuse to me..

if the man had fantastic looking arms and quads on camera like everyone ELSE who has fantastic looking quads and arms does, not much of this stuff would be going on.

Flower Boy Ran Away

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2006, 05:33:14 PM »
there is no way in hell he could be smooth and shredded as hell at the same time and the hardest guy on stage everytime

and thats where the genetics come in. some guys like Ronnie and flex tend to show lots of striations.

some guys like Dorian and kevin do not. sure, in certain areas, but on the whole, not as much.

But the judges are not out to judge genetics.

they are out to judge the best physique in front of them.

Guys with a genetic disadvantage in a certain area should not be given any slack
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2006, 05:33:18 PM »
Why do I think Dorian's quads look smooth?

because even in his very best 93 shape, when he extends his quad and flexes, it is smooth.

You can also see this on video if you like if you watch the 1993 Olympia.

He hits a most muscular at the end of his routine.

it is not available on youtube however..

compared to guys like Ronnie (back in the day), Flex, Kevin, and Shawn, his quads just looked smooth in comparison.

You don't have to be at a contest to see this. Just look.

Look smooth are they smooth? nope , hard as nails the only problem with Yates' quads is upper separation other than that his quads are world class !

Flex Magazine July 2005 " Wonder wheels: the 40 all-time greatest legs "

Legs are the bodybuilder's bodypart. They separate weekend warriors, contently pumping up bis and pecs, from those who want to transform their entire physique into a living work of art--whether classical or decidedly more abstract.

The 20 bodybuilders in our training guide are propelled by the 40 greatest legs of all time. Some made the list specifically because of phenomenal quadriceps, hamstrings or calves, even though other areas of their legs may not be worthy of best-of-the-best status.

The 20 bodybuilders are shown randomly, instead of by rank; though, for the record, Tom Platz (circa 1981) is our number-one pick. Any such list is subjective, and a few worthy men just missed our final cut, among them Nasser El Sonbaty, Mike Morris, Art Atwood and calf wranglers Danny Padilla and Chris Cook. Most--perhaps all--of the following champs were blessed with genetic propensities for forging lower-body muscle. Nonetheless, they each endured hundreds of torturous leg sessions to fulfill their potential. All of them have something to teach about leg training. Apply the lessons from the masters to your own workouts and get busy building your own pair of legendary legs.

ORIAN YATES

As a winner of six Mr. Olympia titles (1992-1997), Dorian Yates set a new standard for overall size and density in the mid-'90s. From the top of his vastus lateralis to the bottom of his soleus, his legs were thick from every angle. Yates believed in high-intensity training, exhausting his muscles by putting maximum effort into a few focused sets.

SQUAT OR NOT?

"Some people's joints articulate in a manner that allows them to benefit
greatly from squats; others may not benefit at all. If you're not too
tall and have short limbs, it may be the best exercise for you, but if
you're tall with long legs, it might be both ineffective and dangerous.
I was stubbornly faithful to squats for years until I finally realized
they were not well-suited for my body structure. After I switched to
more muscle-intensive movements, my gains in leg size were astounding."
--Dorian Yates

Consider your ass Schooled !!  ;)

and p.s. Coleman is on the list .

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2006, 05:35:15 PM »
and thats where the genetics come in. some guys like Ronnie and flex tend to show lots of striations.

some guys like Dorian and kevin do not. sure, in certain areas, but on the whole, not as much.

But the judges are not out to judge genetics.

they are out to judge the best physique in front of them.

Guys with a genetic disadvantage in a certain area should not be given any slack

Like abdominals and calves? or bowling pin shaped forearms? or oddly shaped overdeveloped glutes? should they NOT be cut any slack?

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2006, 05:36:11 PM »
no one is denying that Yates's quads were not thick. they were huge.

but detailed and shapely too?

not on the same level as Ronnie, Flex, etc
Flower Boy Ran Away

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2006, 05:37:56 PM »
there is a diff between smooth and not striated. there is no way in hell he could be smooth and shredded as hell at the same time and the hardest guy on stage everytime.
exactly what I was saying...

cross striations are great but they can't overcome lack of height, shoulder width, wide hips, high lat insertions and many other problems.

how about we start a shawn ray thread picking his body apart - no width, too short, lack of quad sweep - everybody has/had imperfections.

yates had the height, the width, the awesome back/calves, great technical posing and he turned up shredded therefore he won...

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2006, 05:38:56 PM »
Like abdominals and calves? or bowling pin shaped forearms? or oddly shaped overdeveloped glutes? should they NOT be cut any slack?

you just mentioned a buch of small minor parts, and besides, ronnie 99 only really had calves from your list. His abs and midsection still looked good enough not to be notice as a flaw at that point. check out his ab and thigh from 99, you will be very surprised at how good it looks.

Flower Boy Ran Away

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »
how about we start a shawn ray thread picking his body apart

um.. calling out a 6 time Mr. Olympia for having relatively smoothish quads and arms is hardly what I would call nit picking...

its not like I am bashing Yates for his side-head triceps or anything.

these are major bodyparts and large musclegroups we are talking about here.
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2006, 05:41:26 PM »
no one is denying that Yates's quads were not thick. they were huge.

but detailed and shapely too?

not on the same level as Ronnie, Flex, etc

They were detailed and shapely most certainly , Ronnie's may have the egde on quads Okay no one is arguning that but you've gone out of your way to knock Yates' quads down to nothing and thats nonsense period. and Yates' legs have something Ronnie's NEVER did balance & proportion not to mention world class calves so can Ronnie's striations make up for that glaring flaw? not quite.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »
you just mentioned a buch of small minor parts, and besides, ronnie 99 only really had calves from your list. His abs and midsection still looked good enough not to be notice as a flaw at that point. check out his ab and thigh from 99, you will be very surprised at how good it looks.

oh yes it looks good for Ronnie , but NOT Yates' level by a long shot , the heavier Ronnie becomes the softer he becomes .

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »
um.. calling out a 6 time Mr. Olympia for having relatively smoothish quads and arms is hardly what I would call nit picking...

its not like I am bashing Yates for his side-head triceps or anything.

these are major bodyparts and large musclegroups we are talking about here.
kinda like the back is a large bodypart so if you are dominant in that area and adequate in others you are ahead of the game by miles...

lets really break down yates competition in those years - forget 1999 coleman he wasn't there in 1993.

wheeler - too smooth that day, narrow across the shoulders... at his best may have beaten yates that day but needed to be rock hard through the glutes and hams and he simply wasn't.

ray - too narrow and short, quad sweep weak.

labrada - no thickness, too short

kevin - off that day, back wide but not thick enough

dillet - posing terrible, zero lats

the back is important... practically 1/3 of the body

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »
this keeps coming up:

people say Yates doesn't look that great in the pictures but he looks fantastic in person.

but what is never acknowledged is what does this tell us about how the guys who look fantastic in the pics would look live and in person?

The fact that they would look even better is swept under the carpet and ignored...

you would think so, but in reality that isnt the case.

at least that's what peter mcgough, robet kennedy, jonny fitness, ron harris, etc. have said about some bbers.

a perfect example is of branch from last year.

i remember everyone saying that you had to see him in person to see how thick he was. 
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2006, 10:26:34 PM »

yeah and hulkster you harp on biceps too much, they are a small bodypart.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »
bump

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2006, 05:01:49 PM »
yeah and hulkster you harp on biceps too much, they are a small bodypart.

but hulkster, pumpster, etc. ignore ronnie's midsection.

they ignore everything positve about dorian (like comments from other pros) and ignore anything negative about ronnie.

R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2006, 05:35:43 PM »
but hulkster, pumpster, etc. ignore ronnie's midsection.

no we don't. its just that at his best, his waist was so streamlined and his abs were "okay" enough that it was more of an ADVANTAGE than a disadvantage.

when your waist is this small, it can hardly be called a disadvantage, even if your abs are not on par with shawn rays.
Flower Boy Ran Away

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2006, 05:44:14 PM »

no we don't. its just that at his best, his waist was so streamlined and his abs were "okay" enough that it was more of an ADVANTAGE than a disadvantage.

when your waist is this small, it can hardly be called a disadvantage, even if your abs are not on par with shawn rays.
all 3 of those guys look pretty smooth compared to yates at his best...

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
they dont look smooth, they are smooth. again, there is a huge diff between smooth(out of shape) and not having striations(yates rock hard condition without striations).

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2006, 07:15:55 PM »

yeah, sure they look smooth ::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2006, 07:23:05 PM »

hahaha Yates in 1993 standing relaxed looks smoother than ALL of them!

Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2006, 01:38:47 AM »
Yates 93 standing relaxed  ;)

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »
Yates 93 standing relaxed  ;)
That truly is dorian at his peak... 1995 was a conditioning peak but he looked his best in 1993.

One interesting thing is that that was the year his shoulder held up the best and his pecs were a lot thicker than previously which caps off his look very well...

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2006, 02:44:23 AM »

He did not look bad at all....262lbs...look at that back :o

There is no fucking way Shawn Ray could have ever beat that in a million years.

Pumpster and Hulkster please refrain from posting, you are too predictable, so buzz off.

very impressive.
Great Dorian, however I've never seen his legs in such poor condition! Nevertheless he was fantastic!
S