Author Topic: Will CNN be punished for sniper video?  (Read 3642 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Will CNN be punished for sniper video?
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:37:15 PM »
SAN DIEGO, October 21, 2006 - The chairman of the House Armed Services Committee asked the Pentagon on Friday to remove CNN reporters embedded with U.S. combat troops, saying the network's broadcast of a video showing insurgent snipers targeting U.S. soldiers was tantamount to airing an enemy propaganda film.

The tape, which came to the network through contact with an insurgent leader, was aired Wednesday night on "Anderson Cooper 360" and repeated Thursday.
In a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., wrote: "CNN has now served as the publicist for an enemy propaganda film featuring the killing of an American soldier."

"This is nothing short of a terrorist snuff film," Bilbray said at a press conference held in San Diego.

Mr. Intenseone

Re: Will CNN be punished for sniper video?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:41:48 PM »

In a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., wrote: "CNN has now served as the publicist for an enemy propaganda film featuring the killing of an American soldier."

"This is nothing short of a terrorist snuff film," Bilbray said at a press conference held in San Diego.

Hunter is right on.......CNN is no better than Al Jezzra, you should know that they are just trying to boost ratings to keep up with FOX and they don't who they hurt in the process!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:20:17 PM »
*APPLAUSE*  Kick those fools out!

Wait.  Since the since the CIA controls CNN it can just pull the plug anyway.  But query why Dubya let the CIA allow CNN produce this smut?   

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 11:25:10 PM »
personally i thought it made great television !

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 12:37:21 AM »
they should show it and anybody who cant handle it should not have a opinion on the war,i tell people how my work day is and they always want to tell me what i should have done but when i show them the helmet cam shit changes they cry,leave,apologize,or try to find me a new job normal people cant handle shit like this because they are full of shit and believe everything they hear on TV or even worse try to be sensitive in a war situation last time i checked last man standing wins no need to be nice to people trying to kill you (how stupid is that bullshit sound to you)

i am against this catastrafuck in Iraq but we are there now and until captain dumbshit(bush) decides we should leave fuck it get on a megaphone tell everyone in town "anyone holding a gun is dead" stop being nice to these motherf**kers its war so stop the humanitarian bullshit and focus on ending the situation which isn't going to happen with teddy bears and hugs

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 01:03:05 AM »
That would be giving them a gift.  The very best thing you could do for the media is to remove all embeded members of the media. It wouldn't fix all the problems with the media but it would be a start.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 06:35:20 AM »
When the fcuk are people going to learn that the media is not supposed to take sides in conflicts?

They are there to report the events, if CNN subjectively censors out footage because it would hurt US interests, then CNN simply isn't doing their job.

In journalism, this is something central:

"Act independently.
Journalists should be free of obligation to any interest other than the public's right to know."

This is an excerpt from the Handbook of INDEPENDENT Journalism, a resource found at a governmental site:

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/journalism/ethics.htm

Read it again: "the public's right to know."

What this means, is that CNN was right in showing the clip, although they could've censored parts of.

It's definitely not the responsibility of a news station to make sure that the American people gets a good image of how USA is doing in foreign conflicts at least.

Anyone who believes that, has been tricked and should read the Handbook.

Again, the link:

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 07:27:43 AM »
thats how a newsroom works in theory zak, in reality its about revenue maximizing. which happens when you show fuct up footage like snipers shooting people, and also when you cooperate with all levels of government about what you put on the air, cause if you fuck with them you may just find your liscence pulled, fines levied for offenses that are normally overlooked, an unexpected audit etc etc etc

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »
thats how a newsroom works in theory zak, in reality its about revenue maximizing. which happens when you show fuct up footage like snipers shooting people, and also when you cooperate with all levels of government about what you put on the air, cause if you f**k with them you may just find your liscence pulled, fines levied for offenses that are normally overlooked, an unexpected audit etc etc etc

I'm just fed up with all this BS about news stations being anti-american. WTF?

News stations should report what's going on. Nothing more, nothing less.

Otherwise, it's Leni fcuking Riefenstahl all over again.

Never knew we were supposed to browse rotten.com and ogrish to get the full picture... ::)

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 07:38:41 AM »
nothing run the jews is antiamerican ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 08:09:07 AM »
When the fcuk are people going to learn that the media is not supposed to take sides in conflicts?

They are there to report the events, if CNN subjectively censors out footage because it would hurt US interests, then CNN simply isn't doing their job.

"Act independently.
Journalists should be free of obligation to any interest other than the public's right to know."

This is a very good point.  When some cry "This is anti-American!", we should ask, would we respect ANY news outlet which was one-sided?  Did we see this level of outrage when dead Iraqi bodies were shown a hundred times? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 08:55:56 AM »
It is pretty obvious to me that the timing and content of this story were designed to appeal to anti-war sentiment on the eve of an election.  I was never one to believe that the media has a "liberal bias," but CNN has sure proved me wrong. 

And I disagree that the media should just report what happens, particularly when they are given the privilege of observing war up close.  Reporters don't have a right to be in a fox hole.  When they are given that privilege, they must be responsible.  No, they shouldn't show pictures of a soldier getting his head blown off.  No, they shouldn't show footage that empowers the enemy.  That is irresponsible journalism. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 09:03:26 AM »
I agree BB.  Dems are pulling a lot of stuff to illustrate how bad things really are over there.   Both sides save all their dirt for mid-Oct.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 09:20:10 AM »
It is pretty obvious to me that the timing and content of this story were designed to appeal to anti-war sentiment on the eve of an election.  I was never one to believe that the media has a "liberal bias," but CNN has sure proved me wrong. 

And I disagree that the media should just report what happens, particularly when they are given the privilege of observing war up close.  Reporters don't have a right to be in a fox hole.  When they are given that privilege, they must be responsible.  No, they shouldn't show pictures of a soldier getting his head blown off.  No, they shouldn't show footage that empowers the enemy.  That is irresponsible journalism. 

I definitely disagree.

The story isn't "liberal" in any way. It is however, a poor example of sensationalism, too much graphic details showed.

The clip isn't heavily edited, it's not a fake, it is what actually happened.

Don't blame the messenger. The journalists put the focus on something, now it is up to the public to make up their minds.

One big problem is that CNN, FOX and MSNBC has been producing the image of "intelligent" missiles, shown as light rods in the dark Iraqi night, for way too long.

The reality of what is happening in Iraq is still being self-censored by CNN, FOX and other news stations to this day.

IMO, it's disgusting.

A journalist should report, then let the public make up own minds.

An example: Watergate - Woodward and Bernstein never once in their articles argued for Nixon to leave office. They simply brought the truth as good as they could, then they left it up to the public to decide on what would happen.

Guys like Olbermann, O'Reilly and Hannity/Colmes are a disgrace to journalism.

They work a political agenda. No political commentator on a big network should do shit like that. Fcuking idits all of them.

...and don't even get me started on Limbaugh.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 11:00:48 AM »
i guess telling thr truth hurts bush eh..
carpe` vaginum!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »
they should show it and anybody who cant handle it should not have a opinion on the war,i tell people how my work day is and they always want to tell me what i should have done but when i show them the helmet cam shit changes they cry,leave,apologize,or try to find me a new job normal people cant handle shit like this because they are full of shit and believe everything they hear on TV or even worse try to be sensitive in a war situation last time i checked last man standing wins no need to be nice to people trying to kill you (how stupid is that bullshit sound to you)

i am against this catastrafuck in Iraq but we are there now and until captain dumbshit(bush) decides we should leave f**k it get on a megaphone tell everyone in town "anyone holding a gun is dead" stop being nice to these motherf**kers its war so stop the humanitarian bullshit and focus on ending the situation which isn't going to happen with teddy bears and hugs

"Act independently.

This is an excerpt from the Handbook of INDEPENDENT Journalism, a resource found at a governmental site:

Read it again: "the public's right to know."

What this means, is that CNN was right in showing the clip, although they could've censored parts of.

It's definitely not the responsibility of a news station to make sure that the American people gets a good image of how USA is doing in foreign conflicts at least.

Anyone who believes that, has been tricked and should read the Handbook.

Again, the link:

YIP
Zack

Amen!!!
S

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 11:24:30 AM »
CNN vid:
&mode=related&search=

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 11:36:42 AM »
CNN vid:
&mode=related&search=

My gosh... They blacked it out when he got shot.  Were willing to send our troops over there, but we shouldn't be allowed to see whats happening to them on TV?  Watch Fox if it offends you damn...

Those Animals our lucky we can't bring some World War II generals back from the grave though.

George Patton, Omar Bradley, and the others would get word out that one more American is killed and this hell hole will be blown off the face of the Earth.

S

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 11:44:10 AM »
My gosh... They blacked it out when he got shot.  Were willing to send our troops over there, but we shouldn't be allowed to see whats happening to them on TV?  Watch Fox if it offends you damn...

Those Animals our lucky we can't bring some World War II generals back from the grave though.

George Patton, Omar Bradley, and the others would get word out that one more American is killed and this hell hole will be blown off the face of the Earth.

like i said time to stop playing and start killing diplomacy is dead time to obtain our objectives and leave

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 11:52:49 AM »
I think I would vote for you benchmstr.   8)
S

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 05:17:04 PM »
I think I would vote for you benchmstr.   8)
you probably wouldn't i am kinda a asshole and downright hateful ;)

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »
cut off the sunni triangle, give everyone 72 hours to gather their shit and get out, than kill anyone who is still there cuz the honly people still there would be the wanna be martyrs
Valhalla awaits.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 10:54:24 PM »
cut off the sunni triangle, give everyone 72 hours to gather their shit and get out, than kill anyone who is still there cuz the honly people still there would be the wanna be martyrs

LMAO!!!

In the long run, it'd probably save lives.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 11:54:44 PM »
LMAO!!!

In the long run, it'd probably save lives.
Wait..., I actually completely forgot.... Why did we invade Iraq again ???