Author Topic: Mortgage  (Read 1401 times)

SPINZ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Mortgage
« on: October 22, 2006, 05:53:50 PM »
About to purchase my first home....any suggestions for home loans? Past experiences? Lessons learned?
Any help would be much appreciated :D

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Mortgage
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
depends on a lot of factors.  Whats your income look like, how's credit history, waht type of payments etc.  I am a realtor so i see different types of people ad loan prgorams.  Are you a veteran?  if you can go FHA it would be nice.  They have some of the best rates on the maret and depepnding the area of the country the will 100% finance you if you meet the criteria.  I would stay away from ARM's unless you are sure you can refi before the end of the term.  Are you wanting to put $ down? 

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »
depends on a lot of factors.  Whats your income look like, how's credit history, waht type of payments etc.  I am a realtor so i see different types of people ad loan prgorams.  Are you a veteran?  if you can go FHA it would be nice.  They have some of the best rates on the maret and depepnding the area of the country the will 100% finance you if you meet the criteria.  I would stay away from ARM's unless you are sure you can refi before the end of the term.  Are you wanting to put $ down? 

Hey Migs,

I have heard that using a FHA loan doesn't build equity as fast as a typical 80/20.  Is this true?  And then isnt their something else in regards to the FHA and the deductions on payments? 

I am just curious.  Thanks.
Sleep Big.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »
equity is built only as fast as you pay down the debt.  80/20's are good to avoid PMI, but both are 100 percent financig options.  Like i said the more you pay down the faster the more equity you build.  deductions on payments?  are you talking about end of year taxes and the amount in interest you can deduct?  I am not aware of any limititaions, but it may vary from state to state. 

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 07:01:46 PM »
Get at least 3 good faith estimates from a bank or brokers. Compare not only the rate, but very importantly the closing costs. If you are going with a traditional 80/20 and you don't want to come out of pocket, tell your broker to find a bank that will allow 6% sellers concessions(remember that word), that should cover your closing costs, maybe even your escrow(Taxes and insurance paid monthly) if you choose to go that route. But make sure the extra cash, if any, isn't going to them(At least not too much). Find people you trust to handle your loan, whether it be a friend, good word of mouth, or a trusted bank. You would be amazed at how many ways there are to f**k someone over. I would stay away from any arm, especially an "option arm" with 4 different payments at your discretion every month. One of the payments is 1%, sounds great, until you realize that every time you make that 1% payment it is in fact a NEG AM payment, meaning your balance actually goes up. Interest only loans are ok if you are confident that your house will go up in value and your career is upwardly mobile. Also don't be afraid to ask your broker what they are being paid on the Yield, 1 point = 1% of total mortgage, meaning a 200,000 house paying 1 point on the yield would make them 2,000 plus the closing costs. Brokers are trying to squeeze as many points in the front and the back as we can, so be careful and shop around. I am rambling, if you have any questions ask me, I have been a broker for 8 years.
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »
Hey Migs,

I have heard that using a FHA loan doesn't build equity as fast as a typical 80/20.  Is this true?  And then isnt their something else in regards to the FHA and the deductions on payments? 

I am just curious.  Thanks.

Thats not true, FHA's are generally about an 1/8th better at the par rate and a little easier to qualify if you have bad or mediocre credit. They get paid off in the same way though, it's still a bank holding your mortgage.
E

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 07:05:50 PM »
i am seeing a lot of people with ARMS and Interest only loans foreclosing here in GA.  sucks for them but makes good investment possibilites for others.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 07:12:10 PM »
i am seeing a lot of people with ARMS and Interest only loans foreclosing here in GA.  sucks for them but makes good investment possibilites for others.

You should see the foreclosure's in Michigan, it's insane. Not only are people being laid off, but everyone refied in 2002 to 2004, into some type of ARM.Option arms are the worst, I have done so many of those and people tell me they will pay the 15 year option some months to even out with the smaller payments, but when they come back to me, they are ass backwards leaving me to find a REALLY crooked appraiser to just get the house appraised as high as they owe. Countrywides option arm pays 3 points on the yield with a 1% option payment, so it's hard not to push it, but people really need to be fiscally responsible if they choose a program like that.
E

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:15:06 PM »
holly crap that sucks.  Yeah appraissals are intersting.  you see some crooked shit down here too.  Have you been getting asked about the 60-70 year mortgages?  i'm having to field questions on that now. 

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 07:15:14 PM »
equity is built only as fast as you pay down the debt.  80/20's are good to avoid PMI, but both are 100 percent financig options.  Like i said the more you pay down the faster the more equity you build.  deductions on payments?  are you talking about end of year taxes and the amount in interest you can deduct?  I am not aware of any limititaions, but it may vary from state to state. 

If Spinz's credit is less than perfect, he could always choose a non-conforming bank, they don't have PMI. The rate is higher,but PMI is a joke, there is really no reason to ever get into a program where you have to pay it. Ok, I am done hijacking now. peace!
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »
holly crap that sucks.  Yeah appraissals are intersting.  you see some crooked shit down here too.  Have you been getting asked about the 60-70 year mortgages?  i'm having to field questions on that now. 

No, the banks went from 40 a year about a year ago, now they are bringing out a 45 year in Michigan. It's still about the same payment as I/O's though and no one goes 45 years without refinancing, so I am unimpressed so far.
E

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 10:16:03 PM »
About to purchase my first home....any suggestions for home loans? Past experiences? Lessons learned?
Any help would be much appreciated :D

What state are you in? Price of the home? How much down? FICO score?

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 06:53:48 AM »
Yeah PMI is a joke.  another rip off.  yeah when i heard of the 60 year mortgages i laughed. 

THE ROCK

• Getbig II
  • It doesn't matter what your name is!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 07:01:33 AM »
Get at least 3 good faith estimates from a bank or brokers. Compare not only the rate, but very importantly the closing costs. If you are going with a traditional 80/20 and you don't want to come out of pocket, tell your broker to find a bank that will allow 6% sellers concessions(remember that word), that should cover your closing costs, maybe even your escrow(Taxes and insurance paid monthly) if you choose to go that route. But make sure the extra cash, if any, isn't going to them(At least not too much). Find people you trust to handle your loan, whether it be a friend, good word of mouth, or a trusted bank. You would be amazed at how many ways there are to f**k someone over. I would stay away from any arm, especially an "option arm" with 4 different payments at your discretion every month. One of the payments is 1%, sounds great, until you realize that every time you make that 1% payment it is in fact a NEG AM payment, meaning your balance actually goes up. Interest only loans are ok if you are confident that your house will go up in value and your career is upwardly mobile. Also don't be afraid to ask your broker what they are being paid on the Yield, 1 point = 1% of total mortgage, meaning a 200,000 house paying 1 point on the yield would make them 2,000 plus the closing costs. Brokers are trying to squeeze as many points in the front and the back as we can, so be careful and shop around. I am rambling, if you have any questions ask me, I have been a broker for 8 years.

Boy don't that make ya feel better...A alcoholic pill head could be in control of your mortgage.
Do you smell it?

SPINZ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 05:15:22 PM »
  Boy don't that make ya feel better...A alcoholic pill head could be in control of your mortgage.

To tell you the truth him and Migs really helped me out on PM last night...and are very knowledgeable on the subject

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 06:07:09 PM »
Unfortuanatly when we go to finally buy, I don't expect my payment to be any less than $5-6k per month and thats with a shitload down :'(!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 06:13:09 PM »
damn big payment.  where are you at?

THE ROCK

• Getbig II
  • It doesn't matter what your name is!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 03:48:03 AM »
To tell you the truth him and Migs really helped me out on PM last night...and are very knowledgeable on the subject

I know he knows  what he is talking about,that is obvious,but this is GETBIG and you get in an insult whenever you can. :)
Do you smell it?

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 06:57:30 AM »
I know he knows  what he is talking about,that is obvious,but this is GETBIG and you get in an insult whenever you can. :)

lol

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 08:47:31 AM »

It's cool, I understand that :)
E