Author Topic: Question about crystal  (Read 6123 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Question about crystal
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:17:14 PM »
Does anyone know if hot liquids has a harmful effect on lead crystal?

I just made a pot of cinnamon coffee, ...and I was too lazy to go downstairs to the kitchen to get a coffee cup, ...so I poured it into a crystal wine glass instead. {lol}  Is that bad for crystal?
w

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Question about crystal
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 10:20:41 PM »
should be fine.  we used to do flaming coffee's with crystal glasses and it was fine.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:54:39 PM »
{Phew} Thanks Miggy. I was a little nervous, so to be on the safe side, I used the Baccarat instead of the Waterford.
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 04:55:36 AM »
should be fine.  we used to do flaming coffee's with crystal glasses and it was fine.
I got a craving for a flaming sambuca  ;D

PB

THE ROCK

• Getbig II
  • It doesn't matter what your name is!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:56:56 AM »

>:(  I read the title to this thread and thought it was gona be about meth.
Do you smell it?

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:01:15 AM »
Does anyone know if hot liquids has a harmful effect on lead crystal?

I just made a pot of cinnamon coffee, ...and I was too lazy to go downstairs to the kitchen to get a coffee cup, ...so I poured it into a crystal wine glass instead. {lol}  Is that bad for crystal?

Hot liquids wont hurt lead crystal at al Jag, but it does chip easily so dont put it in the dishwasher!!
X

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 06:05:28 AM »
{Phew} Thanks Miggy. I was a little nervous, so to be on the safe side, I used the Baccarat instead of the Waterford.

anytime sugar!  But Lord Humungous is right, it will chip easily.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 11:08:03 AM »
My father was a quartz crystal engineer.  In fact, he was the world chairman of the CSA (Canadian Standards) and BSA (British).  He travelled all over the world to give speeches and wrote in algebra or crystal talk or something.

I know lots about crystals.  He taught me.  I have a few beauties.

xL

(he retired years ago and they no longer use crystals for radios.

I can't be using the Waterford.  I'll only smash it. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 12:10:20 PM »
Hot liquids wont hurt lead crystal at al Jag, but it does chip easily so dont put it in the dishwasher!!

Thanks Lord H. No I don't ever put them in the dishwasher. I always handwash, and rinse them quickly so they don't stain.
w

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »
Thanks Lord H. No I don't ever put them in the dishwasher. I always handwash, and rinse them quickly so they don't stain.

no prob Jag, make sure if you wash them in hot you rinse them in hot too. Fast temp changes will crack them too.  The short period I spent  with Swarovski paid off a little I guess   ;D
X

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 05:08:45 PM »
no prob Jag, make sure if you wash them in hot you rinse them in hot too. Fast temp changes will crack them too.  The short period I spent  with Swarovski paid off a little I guess   ;D

Thanks. That part I once learned the hard way pouring hot water into a glass.  :(
This time I made sure I warmed up the glass before pouring the coffee into it.
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 05:09:32 PM »
where's my cup?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »
Here ya go  :)

w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »
smartass!   :-*

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 07:04:56 PM »
Here ya go  :)

I think Miggs was looking for a D cup   ;)
X

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 07:08:01 PM »
I think Miggs was looking for a D cup   ;)

hahah

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 09:13:48 PM »
I have a few beauties.

xL

The only crystal I own is a couple of champagne flutes I had incorrectly ingraved by some master cutter or some $h!t for someone's wedding  ::)
:

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 08:41:09 AM »

The only crystal I own is a couple of champagne flutes I had incorrectly ingraved by some master cutter or some $h!t for someone's wedding  ::)

so get a little crystal bit and keep it next to your bed.

I have a gypsy one I sleep with.  It's perfect.  Like I can see the future (joke)

xL

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 07:09:21 PM »

so get a little crystal bit and keep it next to your bed.

I have a gypsy one I sleep with.  It's perfect.  Like I can see the future (joke)

xL

I just can't believe I spent $150 bucks on a wedding gift and then had the engraver write "Pam & Bob" when it should've been Bob & Pat  ::)  (the guy was someone my husband worked with and I hadn't met her).

I wonder if something could be done to disguise it or cover it up  :-\
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 07:12:05 PM »
that sucks

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 08:38:47 PM »

I just can't believe I spent $150 bucks on a wedding gift and then had the engraver write "Pam & Bob" when it should've been Bob & Pat  ::)  (the guy was someone my husband worked with and I hadn't met her).

I wonder if something could be done to disguise it or cover it up  :-\

:o   :o   :o  {ROTFLMAO}  Hahahahaha! What an idiot you must be! Hahahaha!   ;) j/k

Actually PrincessL, I'm really laughing WITH you, not at you.

I just did a similar bonehead move myself. I had designed some drop business cards ...glossy full colour etc. The purpose of these cards is to go in the little slots at the gas pumps... ya know, where people have to stick their credit cards or debit cards to pay for their gas. (Up here, we pump before we pay). Well they can't get their credit cards in because there's already something in there. They have to pull out what's in there first, ...and of course what's in there, is a gorgeous glossy card letting them know they can save money on gas. I'm reaching my target market, precisely at the moment of their greatest pain... when they have to pay the high gas prices. Precisely when they have the greatest desire to save on their fuel costs. Well, like I said, I designed the card, I really got into it, came up with the design, wording, went through about a gadzillion photos before finding the right one.  Made arrangements with gas station owners, as well as pump jockeys all over the city to keep the credit card slots stocked, ...and ordered 1000's of cards.

I got the cards and dropped off boxes at gas stations all over town. About 3 days later, I realized they had made a horrendous mistake on my email address. I was all set to call them up to inform them they had made a mistake, and that they'd just have to do another run, ...when I looked at my final proof that I had approved...  :-[   Needless to say, ...I never made that phone call. {blush}

All I can say is... thank goodness I'm hitting my target market at the precise moment. Despite the screwup on the email addy, people are still figuring out how to reach me, and others simply went to my website and set up a free retail customer account, so they can purchase what they want, whenever they want it. At least I didn't screw up on the urls as well. That would have really sucked. 
w