Author Topic: Trainer Certification  (Read 7010 times)

Loomis

• Getbig III
Trainer Certification
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:06:13 AM »
Question for the trainers here or anyone who knows. What cert do you think is more marketable, ACE or NASM?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: Trainer Certification
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:07:56 AM »
the one that makes you 25,000 a year...oh wait thats both of them combined hahahahahahahahahaha

monster career.... its a part time job at best bro!!!!!!!!!
L

paul84

• Getbig II
  • Nuke 'em, Rico!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:24:09 AM »
CSN and MFT are clearly the ones that teach you the most about bodybuilding fundamentals.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:56:55 AM »
acsm is pretty reputable......

college degree is now required i believe

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »
Question for the trainers here or anyone who knows. What cert do you think is more marketable, ACE or NASM?

NASM, I believe.

The more, the better.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 09:20:12 AM »
ACSM

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 09:25:55 AM »
AFFA is a good one too
It really doesn't matter....your either a good salesman or your not.
You could get the best cert out there but if you suck at being a people person and a salesman your doomed regardless of what cert you get.
http://www.afaa.com/

Rottmag

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 09:28:15 AM »
ISSA and/or NSCA by a country mile.

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:29:33 AM »

agreed

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »
CSN and MFT are clearly the ones that teach you the most about bodybuilding fundamentals.

Am I the only to catch?

TN

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 10:16:24 AM »
No offense, but most certifications aren't worth a shit.  I have seen people that don't know a Bench press from squat go and take these weekend cert. courses and still don't know how to train themselves much less a client.  www.ifafitness.com   this is a quick and easy online certification.

paul84

• Getbig II
  • Nuke 'em, Rico!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »
Am I the only to catch?

I believe so, and it saddens me.  I thought it was pretty clever.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 10:44:31 AM »
definetly ISSA

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 10:49:16 AM »

ISSA.  Got my wife the kit 4 years ago.  She still ain't completed it, but she smokes most trainers at golds in venice.
Most are all show no go!

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »
Get whatever is easier.  Most of the clients trainers have do not know the difference.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 11:06:55 AM »
the one that makes you 25,000 a year...oh wait thats both of them combined hahahahahahahahahaha

monster career.... its a part time job at best bro!!!!!!!!!

I make a very comfortable living so it ain't that funny!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »
My cousin made 70k+ working at a 24 hour fitness...he's a very good people person with a lean body.

8)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 11:16:57 AM »
My friend makes an incredible amount of money training people.  He has a new Escalade, just bought a new home in Vegas and still has one in LA.  He trains rich people at their homes and gets up to $400 an hour.  And he is booked all the time.  

My cousin made 70k+ working at a 24 hour fitness...he's a very good people person with a lean body.

8)

My friend headed up the Personal Training for 24 Hour Fitness in Hawaii and Cal (I think)  They were paying him about $7,000 to $8,000 a month.  He won the USA's a couple years back.  Always in shape year round

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 11:23:54 AM »
My friend makes an incredible amount of money training people.  He has a new Escalade, just bought a new home in Vegas and still has one in LA.  He trains rich people at their homes and gets up to $400 an hour.  And he is booked all the time.  

My friend headed up the Personal Training for 24 Hour Fitness in Hawaii and Cal (I think)  They were paying him about $7,000 to $8,000 a month.  He won the USA's a couple years back.  Always in shape year round

I know a few personal trainers that make over 200k working for themselves.

Now, it did take them awhile to establish clientele & a reputation....but they just stuck with it.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 11:33:37 AM »
ISSA.  Got my wife the kit 4 years ago.  She still ain't completed it, but she smokes most trainers at golds in venice.

what a lazy bitch

Chris Glass

• Getbig II
  • Wow!! That's exciting!
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »
In my 8 years of training, I've never been asked once for a certification.  The only thing I've been required to furnish was personal insurance via www.clubinsurance.com  I've put together a reasonable business by training people, mainly Moms, out of their home and having them buy a physio ball and dumbells.  My senior year of highschool w/ no cert. I made almost $30k.  I was sleeping in class so I could be rested for my clients.  My teachers didn't understand I wasn't making much less than them w/o student loans...  It's something to build on, but not usually full-time money, and definitely not residual.
Truly,
Chris Glass

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »
No offense, but most certifications aren't worth a shit.  I have seen people that don't know a Bench press from squat go and take these weekend cert. courses and still don't know how to train themselves much less a client.  www.ifafitness.com   this is a quick and easy online certification.

Thanks for the tip.  It took me 5 mins to become a certified personal trainner LMAO!!!

I guess that p.ed. degree from 20 years ago comes in handy.  LOL!  And I thought i was all about the chicks and beer.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 01:06:56 PM »
AFFA is a good one too
It really doesn't matter....your either a good salesman or your not.
You could get the best cert out there but if you suck at being a people person and a salesman your doomed regardless of what cert you get.
http://www.afaa.com/

Sales doesn't factor in if you work for a company, it's just about you training clients.

If you work for yourself, that's a whole different ball of wax.

The overhead of having your own gym, insurance, and having to sell people just isn't really me.

I'd rather work for a high end gym or for specialized clientele.

I don't need the hassle...

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 01:38:54 PM »
Sales doesn't factor in if you work for a company, it's just about you training clients.

If you work for yourself, that's a whole different ball of wax.

The overhead of having your own gym, insurance, and having to sell people just isn't really me.

I'd rather work for a high end gym or for specialized clientele.

I don't need the hassle...

DIV

Actually, most of the guys I know...thought the way you did too.  Until they got tired of making other people.  Then when they realized what a huge clientele devoted only to them & how big referrals work, it was not hard to leave, & start up.

To each their own....personally...most people are too whiny for me & I hate babysitting & trying to coddle an adult into working out.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 01:42:02 PM »
Actually, most of the guys I know...thought the way you did too.  Until they got tired of making other people.  Then when they realized what a huge clientele devoted only to them & how big referrals work, it was not hard to leave, & start up.

To each their own....personally...most people are too whiny for me & I hate babysitting & trying to coddle an adult into working out.
if you could impose respect via your demeanor and knowledge ( did i mention results?) , u wouldnt have to babysit ;)