Author Topic: CNN and Fox  (Read 974 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
CNN and Fox
« on: October 25, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »
I watched the Dubya news conference this morning about the war in Iraq.  He did a decent job.  I agreed with some of what he said and thought there was some semantics involved (e.g., trying to distinguish "bench marks" from "time tables").  He talked about some of the challenges and what we have to do to win; "win" defined as a self governing Iraq.  He's no MLK, but he got his point across pretty well IMO.  Spoke from the heart as usual.   

So I look at the coverage by CNN and Fox and found the following headlines:

Fox:  "Bush 'Shifting Tactics' to Battle Iraq's Insurgents."

CNN:  "Bush acknowledges setbacks in Iraq." 

Funny how they both attended the same press conference and came away with such different viewpoints.   

Mr. Intenseone

Re: CNN and Fox
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:51:19 PM »
I just heard on FOX that Jack Welsh was thinking of buying a couple of Liberal newspapers....awesome!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:54:49 PM »
Well are there set backs in Iraq that require a shifting in tactics?

You guys are priceless!   ;D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 01:55:12 PM »
I watched the Dubya news conference this morning about the war in Iraq.  He did a decent job.  I agreed with some of what he said and thought there was some semantics involved (e.g., trying to distinguish "bench marks" from "time tables").  He talked about some of the challenges and what we have to do to win; "win" defined as a self governing Iraq.  He's no MLK, but he got his point across pretty IMO.  Spoke from the heart as usual.   

Funny how they both attended the same press conference and came away with such different viewpoints.   

These were the type of glaring differences I noticed right after the Twin Towers fell.  NBC and MSNBC will come up with something sounding alot like CNN.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 01:58:18 PM »
Are we trying again to DENY the bumbling incompentence of the iraq war?

BUSH acknowledged set backs AND he talked about shifting tactics

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:00:39 PM »
Are we trying again to DENY the bumbling incompentence of the iraq war?

BUSH acknowledged set backs AND he talked about shifting tactics

It isn't just these headlines.  I'm not one who really believed in the "liberal bias" in the media, but CNN has been proving me wrong.  I've noticed a definite attempt to portray Bush in the worst light possible.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 02:06:53 PM »
It isn't just these headlines.  I'm not who really believed in the "liberal bias" in the media, but CNN has been proving me wrong.  I've noticed a definite attempt to portray Bush in the worst light possible.

If they wanted to portray him in a bad light they could soo much more.  Look at seeing CNN as more of a balance to "cough"  FOX, which to anyone with even half a brain can see that FOX is definatly slanted.  (as well ass CNN, but CNN is not near as bad)

this reminds me of the line in Full metal jacket where he's told to change "Search and Destroy" to "Clean and sweap"   ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 02:09:17 PM »
These were the type of glaring differences I noticed right after the Twin Towers fell.

9:02 AM, Sept 11, 2001

CNN: Twin Tower struck by 2 aircraft

FOX: 911 Commission concludes Bin Laden did it so the war we've been preparing for since March is justified.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »
If they wanted to portray him in a bad light they could soo much more.  Look at seeing CNN as more of a balance to "cough"  FOX, which to anyone with even half a brain can see that FOX is definatly slanted.  (as well ass CNN, but CNN is not near as bad)

this reminds me of the line in Full metal jacket where he's told to change "Search and Destroy" to "Clean and sweap"   ;D

Fox obviously has a conservative bias.  CNN is proving to me that they have a liberal bias.  I still read and watch both.    

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 03:32:36 PM »
I watched the Dubya news conference this morning about the war in Iraq.  He did a decent job.  I agreed with some of what he said and thought there was some semantics involved (e.g., trying to distinguish "bench marks" from "time tables").  He talked about some of the challenges and what we have to do to win; "win" defined as a self governing Iraq.  He's no MLK, but he got his point across pretty well IMO.  Spoke from the heart as usual.   

I'm not seeing a big difference b/w headlines.

And I think that Bush's acknowledgment is a shrewd move . . . lets the fence-sitters know that the Republicans are open to a new plan.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:40:44 PM »
And I think that Bush's acknowledgment is a shrewd move . . . lets the fence-sitters know that the Republicans are open to a new plan.

Hopefully voters are smart enough to realize the timing of the announcement.  We've been getting our ass kicked for 18 months, and they decide to have a big policy change 13 days before an election?  Gimme a break.  "Shrewd" might have been jsut calling this "The War for Long Term Securement of Overseas Resources".  At least we could respect their honesty.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 03:48:50 PM »
I think enormous loss of life during the month of October forced the Administration to do something.  I'd be upset if they didn't take some action. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:55:13 PM »
yeah, something needs to be done . . . and if it's an election that precipitates change, then so be it.  It's not like Cong is saying they won't appropriate more money . . . it's freakin' Rumsfeld who won't say we need more. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 04:52:14 PM »
Rummy knows where all the bodies are buried, or he'd have been booted out of that position long ago.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 09:21:11 PM »
Rummy knows where all the bodies are buried, or he'd have been booted out of that position long ago.

Is he there to keep the back channels open?  To stave of disaster?  Spinnaker perhaps?   ;D