Author Topic: violence and religion???  (Read 1918 times)

redneck PT

• Getbig I
violence and religion???
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:56:05 PM »
I like fighting. It gives me a reason to train hard.  I struggle with my christian faith in that it doesn't seem God would approve.  I have been told by a wise person that God doesn't approve of any violence.

I have seen that several mma fighters have referenced their religion.
Renato Sobral, Rich Franklin, Vitor Belfort. It may be just coincidence, but these three are all losing lately.

Does Christian faith make you weaker? I don't like to think so but I wonder.

Comments

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: violence and religion???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
Look at Rampage, he hasn't fought like the old Rampage since becoming a born-again Christian.

redneck PT

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 03:44:54 PM »
Psalm 144:1 - Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

This is off of Franklin's website.
Anybody know any other quotes from the bible pertaining to violence?
I wanna be set free!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:45:21 PM »
I dont believe god would consider Fighting violence that would be disapproved of. Violence that i belive he would disaproove of is murder or beating someone who is helpless. Frist off MMA is a sport no differant then football or hockey. And second the man you are fighting against is trained as well and not helpless. (most of the time, unless your rich frankling  ;D) Its not a big deal i dont believe. and those fighters that you have mentioned as losing as of late i think have lost the will to fight really. Shit Rich F. didnt even look like he wanted to fight the way he stood there like a punching bag...

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:16:45 PM »
Ron "H20" Waterman is an ordained minister who has alot of christian fighters in his fight team. 
Predictions
 40/61

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:12:07 PM »
yup Vitor turned to shit after finding religion.  They are two different dogmas.  religion doesn't belong in the ring 

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »
jesus kind of looks like olaf what more fucking proof do you need >:(

wells31

• Getbig II
  • Well La-Di-Frickin Da!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 11:37:08 PM »
last thing on my mind is religion. if you worry about pleasing GOD too much, your fighting game will suffer. gotta focus on ur fighting game. block the bullshit out and do what you know is right to keep you on top. GOD will be there no matter what you do!
All Heart, Live 4 Pain!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 02:34:15 AM »
Yes Christianity will make you weaker. Now put on an an album with Slayer and go and hit the heavybag  8)
Z

TheBigAristotle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 07:26:59 AM »
MMA is just competition man, nobody SHOULD be trying to injure their opponent. In this sense it is no different than any other form of competition. The man who is trying to seriously hurt his opponent is the one who should worry about what his God would think of such a thing. Also I think the idea that religion brings weakness is ridiculous. If anything religion makes a man stronger in his convictions and would provide him with a stronger work ethic no matter what he chooses to do.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 04:38:53 AM »
Two different concepts! The way I see it, most athletes are pro, so it is their, honest, way to earn money in order to survive! It is a profession, even those amateurs do not pratice free violence. Free violence can be found in crime, not in a competition.
S

raziel

• Getbig II
  • Satan lives in the hearts of all children.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 12:48:27 PM »
i don't understand all of the people that say that "God" helped them win and all that shit.  if god helped them win then he is playing favorites, thats not the kind of guy i want to rely on, u never kow if he's gonna like your opponent better.
Jesus gives awesome head!

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 08:23:20 AM »
Look at Rampage, he hasn't fought like the old Rampage since becoming a born-again Christian.

So True!  ;)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 08:33:42 AM »
So True!  ;)

Which is unfortunate because he was one of my favorite fighters for a long time. I'm not big on the Jesus stuff, though.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 08:48:46 AM »
Which is unfortunate because he was one of my favorite fighters for a long time. I'm not big on the Jesus stuff, though.

He was one of mine as well. I def. believe it takes away from your edge when it's not part of your life from the get go when you began to fight.

In his case, he was always a wreckless SOB, then he "found christ." NO WAY he is the same after that because the entire point is to CHANGE who you are because you are considered LOST and ask for forgiveness...etc and all that stuff.

It's like sending a Defensive Lineman to anger management! LMAO!  ;D

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 09:10:15 AM »
He was one of mine as well. I def. believe it takes away from your edge when it's not part of your life from the get go when you began to fight.

In his case, he was always a wreckless SOB, then he "found christ." NO WAY he is the same after that because the entire point is to CHANGE who you are because you are considered LOST and ask for forgiveness...etc and all that stuff.

It's like sending a Defensive Lineman to anger management! LMAO!  ;D

hahahahahaha, exactly. It's a shame, he has so much potential and is still young.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 10:41:07 AM »
didn't seem to do ali or holyfield any harm. well, until the end of their careers :-\

seriously, religion and fighting is nothing new. god loves his warriors so they say...

and if you actually believe that bs then it can keep you really focused because you are that certain that whatever happens 'was meant to be.'

or better yet you're actually stupid enough to think that god's on your side ie ali and holyfield.

RAMPAGE23

• Getbig II
  • GOD'S SOLDIER
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 04:52:20 PM »
Randy Couture is a christian that was a great fighter.

It is god who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle, my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory and your right hand sustains me, you stoop down to make me great. Plms 18 32:35
AUSTRALIA

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 03:51:26 AM »
Randy Couture is a christian that was a great fighter.

It is god who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle, my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory and your right hand sustains me, you stoop down to make me great. Plms 18 32:35

is that from the new/old testament. i can't be bothered looking it up.

seriously, the bible was obviously used as a tool for leaders to inspire, motivate and gather their troops.

perfect management really. the promise of ever lasting fulfillment vs a destitute existence of war, famine and disease.

i guess the allure was so strong that nobody questioned the fact that this premise contradicted the very basis of christianity. ::)

RAMPAGE23

• Getbig II
  • GOD'S SOLDIER
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »
Its from the new testament Beast 8692.
AUSTRALIA