Author Topic: Deadlift  (Read 3132 times)

Puller

• Getbig II
Deadlift
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:41:09 AM »
I am currently 5'10" around 198lbs. I can rep 405 for 5. I have pulled 455 for 2. I haven't trained much on DL, I guess i'm just naturally a good puller (long arms). Yesterday i pulled 500 after doing 5x5 for 185,225,275,315,365, 1x3 405, 1x1 455. I'm sure my form could use some work. If anyone has some helpful hints or tips to get me in the 600's with some training, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm currently doing a Bill Starr routine to build core strength. By the time i DL on Wednesday, I've already done two squat workouts and weighted hypers.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: Deadlift
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:55:21 PM »
yeah i was always naturally strong on dl,the first pull i ever made was 405x1 at 14 years old

just dont look down always look forward or upwards other than that its up to you to create your own style

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:27:06 AM »
Here's a suggestion:

Look at the deadlift training in three week cycles: light week, medium week, heavy week.

Use the same amount of sets and reps for all three weeks (do 3-5 sets and 5 reps), but back off the weights slightly on the first and second, perhaps using 60% and 75% respectively of your 1RM. On the heavy week, do 3-4 sets, trying to set a new PB for 5RM.

You could add ONE set of heavy rack deadlifts on the heavy weeks after the regular deadlifts.

Don't train deadlifts with legs, or legs the day before. Chest works fine to hit on the same day.

After 3-4 months, drop to 2-3 reps, and singles on the heavy weeks.

Do that for 2-3 months, then get back to the 5's again.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »
Deadlifts are my nemesis.   I've pulled just under 600, but my grip is my biggest problem.   I just struggle to hold the bar with anything over 500.  I've tried grippers (I can close a COC #2 with ease for reps and I'm working on the #3), rollers, static holds, hook grip, hangs and I still feel as if my grip is my weakest link.  Part of it is hand structure---You can fit a quarter through my wedding ring, but my finger is only about 31/2 inches long.   My fingers are literally bigger around than they are long, which makes wrapping them around the bar somewhat difficult.

I'm always open for suggestions on improving my deadlift grip. 

JK

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:11:30 PM »
Deadlifts are my nemesis.   I've pulled just under 600, but my grip is my biggest problem.   I just struggle to hold the bar with anything over 500.  I've tried grippers (I can close a COC #2 with ease for reps and I'm working on the #3), rollers, static holds, hook grip, hangs and I still feel as if my grip is my weakest link.  Part of it is hand structure---You can fit a quarter through my wedding ring, but my finger is only about 31/2 inches long.   My fingers are literally bigger around than they are long, which makes wrapping them around the bar somewhat difficult.

JK
that sucks man my hands are huge so i cannot relate to your problem,but hey there is always squats

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »
I have read that forearm training is not recommended for DL purposes. It makes your fingers thicker and therefore harder to hold the bar. You may have natural "sausage fingers" though? If so Im sure it wont matter. Holds would be your best bet Im sure. Have you tried chalk?

When you wrap your fingers around the bar can you touch your palms with the tips of your fingers?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 11:55:20 AM »
Here's a suggestion:

Look at the deadlift training in three week cycles: light week, medium week, heavy week.

Use the same amount of sets and reps for all three weeks (do 3-5 sets and 5 reps), but back off the weights slightly on the first and second, perhaps using 60% and 75% respectively of your 1RM. On the heavy week, do 3-4 sets, trying to set a new PB for 5RM.

You could add ONE set of heavy rack deadlifts on the heavy weeks after the regular deadlifts.

Don't train deadlifts with legs, or legs the day before. Chest works fine to hit on the same day.

After 3-4 months, drop to 2-3 reps, and singles on the heavy weeks.

Do that for 2-3 months, then get back to the 5's again.

YIP
Zack

Excellent advice...as always.

follow this layout.

8)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »
I have read that forearm training is not recommended for DL purposes. It makes your fingers thicker and therefore harder to hold the bar. You may have natural "sausage fingers" though? If so Im sure it wont matter. Holds would be your best bet Im sure. Have you tried chalk?

When you wrap your fingers around the bar can you touch your palms with the tips of your fingers?

I always use chalk.   

I can just barely touch my palms with the tips of my fingers, but its somewhat of a stretch.  LIke I said, I've got huge fingers that are short.  My palm is fairly long (longer than my fingers), but that doesn't help much. 

JK

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 04:04:31 AM »

JK
That is also my problem. Small thick hand, and I am 1,80 cm, pretty difficult to overcome this problem over 220kgs! I hate it.
S

Puller

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 06:06:57 PM »
yeah i was always naturally strong on dl,the first pull i ever made was 405x1 at 14 years old

just dont look down always look forward or upwards other than that its up to you to create your own style

Just a thanx for the reminder. I have been making sure i keep my headup and not relying totally on straps for grip and today my personal best deadlift workout went as follows: all 5x5  135,225,275,315,405,455. I am very excited. This was also after squats.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 03:30:08 PM »
Sally McNeil

height 5.2

weight 158

deadlift: 400 lbs  :)
X