Author Topic: R.I.P. Red Auerbach, there'll never be another one like you!  (Read 1090 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
R.I.P. Red Auerbach, there'll never be another one like you!
« on: October 29, 2006, 04:58:17 AM »
Red Auerbach passed away yesterday, it's a sad day for Celtics fans. He presided over 16 Championships, 9 of which he coached. Tales of his basketball acumen are well known so I won't rehash them here especially since I wasn't born or wasn't old enough to follow the team when some or most of them took place. I'll just say that his basketball expertise was so vast that he had the foresight to draft Larry Bird in the first round a year before he left college.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: R.I.P. Red Auerbach, there'll never be another one like you!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 08:15:14 AM »
Red Auerbach passed away yesterday, it's a sad day for Celtics fans. He presided over 16 Championships, 9 of which he coached. Tales of his basketball acumen are well known so I won't rehash them here especially since I wasn't born or wasn't old enough to follow the team when some or most of them took place. I'll just say that his basketball expertise was so vast that he had the foresight to draft Larry Bird in the first round a year before he left college.

Getting the pick for McHale and Robert Parish thrown in for the rights to draft Joe Barry Carroll was an awesome move. Drafting Bird as a junior eligible was genius too.
The House that Ruth built

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:35:56 AM »
This may sound callous, but I'm trying to feel a little melancholy, but I just don't feel anything.  He was a pretty arrogant man who won most of his championships as coach when there was like ten teams in the league.  I'm a lifelong Lakers fan.  I'm not glad the guy died, but I guess I just really don't care.  I'd probably feel differently if it was Larry Bird. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:10:51 PM »
This may sound callous, but I'm trying to feel a little melancholy, but I just don't feel anything.  He was a pretty arrogant man who won most of his championships as coach when there was like ten teams in the league.  I'm a lifelong Lakers fan.  I'm not glad the guy died, but I guess I just really don't care.  I'd probably feel differently if it was Larry Bird. 

Are you mad because he dissed Phil Jackson?  ;D

Auerback was right about Phil Jackson btw.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »

Not "mad."  I grew up hating the Celtics.

He was dead wrong about Phil BTW.   

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 01:14:26 PM »

What did Auerbach say about Jackson?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
What did Auerbach say about Jackson?

I can't remember exactly. But basically Auerbach said Phil was lucky and had all the right pieces at the right times when he won his titles. Pieces meaning Jordan, Pippen and O'Neal. Maybe BeachBum can explain it better.

You gotta admit Auerbach made a good point about Jackson, he couldn't do it without Jordan and he certainly doesn't stand a chance of getting another title now that Shaq has left.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:48:13 PM »
I can't remember exactly. But basically Auerbach said Phil was lucky and had all the right pieces at the right times when he won his titles. Pieces meaning Jordan, Pippen and O'Neal. Maybe BeachBum can explain it better.

You gotta admit Auerbach made a good point about Jackson, he couldn't do it without Jordan and he certainly doesn't stand a chance of getting another title now that Shaq has left.

That's essentially what Auerbach said.  As if Auerbach didn't have the best players in the NBA on his team at a time when I think the NBA had less than 20 teams?  There was also no salary cap.   

Phil is an outstanding coach.  I wouldn't take anything away from him just because he has coached the best players in the NBA.  Shaq and Kobe hadn't won squat before Phil.  He took over an underachieving team and won a championship with pretty much the identical players who couldn't get it done without him. 

He think he has an excellent chance over the next 2 or 3 years to get another ring.  The Lakers are one player away.  And anytime you have the best player in the NBA (Kobe) on your team you'll be in good shape.  They were a few seconds and rebound away from advancing to the second round of the playoffs last year.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
Lakers are one starter and 2 bench guys away.  But they can be very good again.  As much as I hate their asses.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 04:54:27 AM »
Lakers are one starter and 2 bench guys away.  But they can be very good again.  As much as I hate their asses.

Don't the lakers have a big man who has about as much potential as any guy in the league?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 04:59:15 AM »
That's essentially what Auerbach said.  As if Auerbach didn't have the best players in the NBA on his team at a time when I think the NBA had less than 20 teams?  There was also no salary cap.   

I gotta agree there. Its easy to coach and win titles when you have Bill Russel, Bob Cousy, Tom Heinson, Satch Sanders, KC Jones etc... Auerbach should have thought before he spoke in that case.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 08:09:37 AM »
Don't the lakers have a big man who has about as much potential as any guy in the league?

Andrew Bynum.  He's 7'1" and about 275.  Only 19.  Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown are hurt, so Bynum will start at center this week when the regular season begins.  He has as much potential as any center in the league.  One of the few back-to-the-basket big men.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 01:21:10 PM »
  One of the few back-to-the-basket big men.

Seems like all the big guys these days want to be point guards. Real centers don't come along too often. At only 6'2" I liked playing center in rec leagues or pick up games at school. I enjoyed rebounding, playing defense and blocking a few shots. All you have to have are a couple down low moves, a short range turn around and a hook shot to be effective. Playing point guard, shooting guard or either forward spot you actually have to have some skill. ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 02:53:23 PM »
Seems like all the big guys these days want to be point guards. Real centers don't come along too often. At only 6'2" I liked playing center in rec leagues or pick up games at school. I enjoyed rebounding, playing defense and blocking a few shots. All you have to have are a couple down low moves, a short range turn around and a hook shot to be effective. Playing point guard, shooting guard or either forward spot you actually have to have some skill. ;)

Centers are a dying breed.  That's why Shaq was able to dominate the league.