Author Topic: Wild Game Menu Week  (Read 3638 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Wild Game Menu Week
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 08:30:57 AM »
Here is the final installment in my little trilogy- "The Venison Report."

Before I begin, I did notice on the label "New Zealand FARM RAISED" which I did not notice upon purchase.  Hopefully, still better nutritionally than US farm raised beef (I suspect, outdoor grass fed).

At the suggestion of an earlier poster, I soaked it overnight in milk and some balsalmic vinegar to remove possible "game" taste.  I broiled it and did not add any seasoning to get the true taste.  I consumed medium rare.  Delicious, better from my personal taste than the ostrich and on par with the buffalo.  In fact, I ate all three filets which was not my original plan when sitting down!

Nutrition (per the label for all three servings combined)

CALS:     450
FAT:       0.0
PROTEIN: 111
CARBS:    0

chrisg

• Getbig II
  • "No! Try not! Do! Or do not. There is no try."
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »
Is there an online source or somewhere I can get bear meat? I've always wanted to try bear. Once, when I was a kid, always camping, my aunt and uncle got me a Wilderness Survival handbook that told you how to make Grizzly Bear steaks. Unfortunately, it didn't say how to kill them.  :)

I live in the suburbs, but my dad told me Chicago used to have a restaurant that you could eat at or place orders to bring home with you of lion, bear, zebra, snake, but it doesn't exist anymore--prob becuz of animal rights activists or something.
P.R.: ate four lbs p-butter in 3 days

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »
Too bad.  If you end up getting bear somewhere, please provide a report.  Good luck.

chrisg

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »
Will do.

chrisg

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
I asked about bear on Yahoo Questions and Answers and this guy gave me this link: http://www.exoticmeats.com/recipes/index.php. Unfortunately, I don't see bear. But, they have alligator, and yak, and kangaroo, and just about anything else you can think of. Look under Categories on the upper left hand side of the page for Meats, Poultry, Seafood, Samplers, etc. Still on the look for bear. I think there's bear in Wisconsin.

My friend's younger brother is a professional bowman, if I'm saying that correctly. Bow and arrow pro, in other words. He killed a deer with one shot and I was over at their house when he brought some of the meat home. Really good. Maybe I'll ask him if he knows.

STANG50

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 06:25:38 PM »
If you have a dehumidifier you can slice the deer into thin pieces the marinate it overnite and make deer jerkey.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 12:07:28 PM »
I just purchased elk which I'll consume during the weekend (after all of the leftover turkey is gone) and provide a further report.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 08:06:46 AM »
The elk ended up being in ground form, so I mixed it up with taco seasoning and made burritos, so I can't report on the actual taste.

1LB (yes, I ate the whole pound)
CALS: 560
FAT: 10g
PROT: 120g
CARBS: 0

(although add 120 cal and 18g of carbs for the taco mix and another 135 cals and 19g of carbs for the whole wheat tortilla)

PriestFan519

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 09:26:44 AM »
Soak your venison in coke cola over night and you cant tell any diffrence between it and beef.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 09:43:54 AM »
Soak your venison in coke cola over night and you cant tell any diffrence between it and beef.

diet coke or sugar coke?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »
My friend's father just came back with a ton of buffalo steaks and was nice enough to give me a couple pounds.  The first time (see above) I kept it pretty basic so I could discern the actual flavor with the meat.  This time, I'm going to experiment with some different recipes and see what happends.  As always, suggestions are appreciated.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 10:21:16 AM »
Okay, Buffalo, Part II.  In addition to the steaks, I received a pound of ground buffalo.  I browned it with taco mix and onions, added some barilla pasta (1/2 box) which I boiled and a can of Jamaican style black beans.  I consumed about 1/3 of it, which provided the following:

Cals: 612
Fat:    5.0g
Protein: 61g
Carbs:  78g
Fiber:   13g

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »
It's amazing the low amount of fat in wild game, especially deer.  I couldn't believe the stats when I looked them up.  Lowest saturated fat in any red meat I've seen.  I live in an area that has a place where you can get Buffalo, ostrich, wild boar and other seasonal game meats.  They rock when you cook them right. The ostrich was better than any fillet mignon I've ever had and when you look up the nutritional content, it makes it all the better.  Highly recommended.  The soaking in milk or vinegar is done mostly with the tougher cuts for tenderizing.  Try to get the tenderloin of any animal, it melts in your mouth.  Even fine dining restruants are getting into the act.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »
The soaking in milk or vinegar is done mostly with the tougher cuts for tenderizing. 
The soaking in milk has always been recommended for wild game and even fish to remove the "gamey" or fishy taste.  The vinegar would be for tenderizing.  Balsalmic sounds good.  Mixing milk and vinegar together sounds kinda  :-X.  That's an old trick for making sour milk called for in a baking recipe.  Do you mix the two together for a marinade  ???
:

ROGUE080

• Getbig I
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2006, 01:07:46 PM »
Another way to get out some of that "gamey" taste is to soak the meat in Seven-up. It will do the same thing as the milk, but in my opinion, do a better job.
Also, which is the better of the 2 meats as far as nutrition goes between deer and cow?
Thanks in advance - good luck and good eating

Rogue

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 09:43:08 AM »
Another way to get out some of that "gamey" taste is to soak the meat in Seven-up. It will do the same thing as the milk, but in my opinion, do a better job.
Also, which is the better of the 2 meats as far as nutrition goes between deer and cow?
Thanks in advance - good luck and good eating

Rogue

I'll try the 7up.  I think deer has to be superior assuming its wild venison versus farm-raised cow.