Author Topic: Glutamine help  (Read 1722 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Glutamine help
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:16:47 AM »
The protein supplement I am taking contains 3.2 grams of glutamine per serving. I am currently taking 4 servings a day. Do I need to supplement with an extra glutamine supplement?
gotta love life

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
Re: Glutamine help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 08:20:29 AM »
Probably not.

mr rusty

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:25:47 AM »
 no you dont recommended daily dose is 10 - 15 grams so you are bang in the
 ball park with that amount . no bad effects wi glutamine either i maintain with
 10 grams daily seems to work good wiith recovery. let me know how you go on

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:39:07 AM »
that's enough... more glutamine will not increase its effect

ReEvolution

• Getbig III
  • goodbye ronnie
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »
glutamine?  waste of cash
two thumbs WAY up!!!

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 09:04:36 PM »
you have to take 300 grams with every meal for it to boost your amino profile enough that you pack on pounds of lean muscle every week.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 09:05:58 AM »
Glutamine is one of the most abundant aminos in the muscle cell.  Its also important for muscle recovery.  You wont get as sore as much.  Its very important for the body's imune system.  Any body builder should be taking this

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »
I love glutamine, its a basic supplement, not too expensive and its important to have.
bodybuildersreality.com

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 11:09:50 AM »
I use it mainly as a night time anti-catabolic agent.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 05:36:31 PM »
I'm not looking for a debate here, but can anyone provide any scientific evidence supporting glutamine use in this environment?
:

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:23:46 AM »
I'm not looking for a debate here, but can anyone provide any scientific evidence supporting glutamine use in this environment?

This is from supplementwatch (the references are posted at the end of the article, although I must confess I have not read the studies themselves):

"In recent years, at least a half-dozen studies have been conducted on glutamine supplementation in athletes and a strong basis exists for the efficacy of glutamine supplements in athletic populations . . . Glutamine supplements have also been shown to play a role in counteracting the catabolic (muscle-wasting) effects of stress hormones such as cortisol, which are typically elevated by strenuous exercise."

http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1144

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 06:27:23 PM »
I use it mainly as a night time anti-catabolic agent.
you are not going to go into a catabolic state of eating muscle while sleeping...unless you are some strange type of sleep walker that does wind sprints.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 09:06:24 PM »
This is from supplementwatch (the references are posted at the end of the article, although I must confess I have not read the studies themselves):

"In recent years, at least a half-dozen studies have been conducted on glutamine supplementation in athletes and a strong basis exists for the efficacy of glutamine supplements in athletic populations . . . Glutamine supplements have also been shown to play a role in counteracting the catabolic (muscle-wasting) effects of stress hormones such as cortisol, which are typically elevated by strenuous exercise."

http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1144

Yes, I like to use them as a quick reference too.  That's only an excerpt.  Ultimately, (read closely), it's theory (regarding hypertrophy).  Glutamine's immune system support and anti-catabolic functions are undisputed, so, in a cutting phase it would be beneficial.  Hypertrophy on the other hand - not.

Some of this might be of interest.

31 subjects, resistance training, and massive doses of glutamine for 6 weeks didn't do anything...

Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults.

Candow DG, Chilibeck PD, Burke DG, Davison KS, Smith-Palmer T.

College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 14 during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P < 0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11822473&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_nov082002.htm

you are not going to go into a catabolic state of eating muscle while sleeping

Now THAT I gotta agree with   ::)
:

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 07:57:39 AM »
you are not going to go into a catabolic state of eating muscle while sleeping...unless you are some strange type of sleep walker that does wind sprints.

I disagree with your analysis. The catabolism does NOT come from increased activity at night, which is obvious.  Catabolism DOES come from nutrient deprivation for a 6-8 hour period (i.e., "breakfast" originated from the phrase "break the fast").
As put into words by other sources:

"Nocturnal post absorptive catabolism is the state of catabolism the body enters during sleep after all available dietary calories from previous meals are absorbed. The time it takes to enter this state vary based on factors like their metabolism" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturnal_post_absorptive_catabolism

"Sleeping for 8-10 hours per night is similar to fasting and this is catabolic to muscle growth."  "The Importance of Sleep" at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson5.htm

"Pre-Sleep . . .  Fasting for several hours at night puts your body in a highly catabolic state, and glutamine levels are quickly depleted . . . Post-Sleep . . . If you were to have a massive carbohydrate meal before sleep, your glycogen stores would still be diminished, and catabolism prevalent after fasting for several hours at night. . . The same applies to glutamine . . . Several studies have displayed glutamine concentrations are severely reduced (around 500 to 750 mumol/L) after a night of sleeping." See Glutamine—The Conditionally Essential Amino Acid http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine04/glutamine.htm

"While you may not actually sleep for 10 hours straight, you should realize that even going 6 hours without food puts you into an easily avoidable catabolic situation. The solution is to simply consume one or two nocturnal meals to maintain body energy stores and protein synthesis, or at the very least minimize protein degradation."
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459879

"If you're a typical trainer, you don't get up to eat in the middle of the night. Your body turns to muscle mass for energy while you sleep, burning up the precious muscle you worked to acquire during the day."  "Midnight mass: what you eat before, during and after you sleep can make your physique an overnight success (Flex,  Dec, 2004)
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_10_22/ai_n7581364

"During sleep the levels of available carbohydrates decline and the body must use other alternative energy sources.   These other alternative energy sources are fats and protein.  Thus protein from your own tissues is broken down during sleep in order to supply energy for the body.  This is called catabolism - the metabolic breakdown of large molecules in living organisms to smaller ones, with the release of energy."
http://www.restoreunity.org/sleep.htm

"Nocturnal (sleep-induced) Post-Absorptive Muscle Catabolism… [is] a natural, everynight event that occurs during the later hours of sleep… after the release of Growth Hormone has abated… when your body's ability to synthesize new protein (build new muscle mass) is drastically cut." http://www.thepumpingstation.com/grow_muscle_while_you_sleep.html

"Just think about it: being essentially fasted for 8-10 hours is incredibly destructive for muscle -yes even if you eat cottage cheese before bed. This is especially true in trained individuals like us, because we have higher rates of muscle breakdown (Phillips et al. 2002) The faster we can stop this catabolism once we wake up, the better." The Top Ten Post Work Out Nutrition Myths Phillips SM, Parise G, Roy BD, Tipton KD, Wolfe RR, Tamopolsky MA (citing Resistance-training-induced adaptations in skeletal muscle protein turnover in the fed state. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2002 Nov;80(11):1045-53.) http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=659666

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 08:02:05 AM »

Now THAT I gotta agree with   ::)

No so "fast" (as in "fasting", get it?).  See above.  Now granted, there are stages during sleep where the body is in a state of anabolism as it draws from existing nutrient stores to repair structures and some anabolic hormones are present and some anti-catabolic hormones are at lower levels (I have seen articles which suggest as much).

However, to suggest that at the latter stages of a 6-8 hour sleep without the benefit of protein or other nutrients that the the line has not been crossed into a catabolic state seems illogical.  In essence, it suggests the body can maintain anabolism without nutrients (which runs counter to our daytime practice of feedings every 2-3 hours).  I think this is consistent with the nighttime eating practices of Jay Cutler (and others by the way) who wakes every two hours to consume a protein source during the night.

While certainly anecdotal, my muscle mass and strength gains increased exponentially once I started night time supplementation (which I have accomplished in a variety of ways which I have previously posted and won't repeat here).  And in the end analysis, articles or studies aside, let experience and logic be your guide.

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 10:39:07 AM »
\

I actually just spat out a big bite of my sandwhich. I'm a sleepwalker on occasion and I just thought what someone would think if i was running up and down the hallways at 4 in the morning.  ;D ;D
It's Hip to be Square!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 10:58:20 AM »
\

I actually just spat out a big bite of my sandwhich. I'm a sleepwalker on occasion and I just thought what someone would think if i was running up and down the hallways at 4 in the morning.  ;D ;D

As long as you're sleepwalking, you might as well sleepwalk to the refrigerator and have a night time casein based shake (and a couple grams of glutamine while you're at it)!   

DarthNemesis21

• Getbig II
  • The darkside makes you stonger.Gives you focus!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 02:31:26 PM »
The protein supplement I am taking contains 3.2 grams of glutamine per serving. I am currently taking 4 servings a day. Do I need to supplement with an extra glutamine supplement?
That depends.The protein you take.Is it out of a tub/bag.Or individual packets?Tubs/Bag is an estimation of how much is in a scooper.The individual packets must have exactly what they say in it.Or the FDA can come down on the company's head.But then I say "F" the FDA.

LEGALIZE THEM !!!!!

Anyway.You may not be getting all the Glutamine or Protein you think your getting.Thats why I double the ammount recomended.And dont waist money on powders that are suppose to have Amminos in them.Buying them in pill form is preferable IMO.Because you've got them right there in your hand.You know how much your actually getting.

Hope that helps.

P.S.Glutamine helps with immune system support(Cold seasons comming)Muscle repair/Injuries.This I know from personal Exp.

Later
give in to the darkside

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 01:32:45 PM »

oh good lord.......... ::)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
oh good lord.......... ::)

I agree, that was one of the more ludicrous statements I have seen in awhile, but I humored him and provided a detailed explanation.  Then he disappeared (maybe he's been sleeping, wasting away in a catabolic state).