Author Topic: Question for BigJ  (Read 632 times)

amc1980

• Getbig III
  • Thats a special hat, Spirit, give it baaaaack!
Question for BigJ
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:55:21 AM »
I remember reading on another thread that you were in the civil service, and I was just wondering if you did the fast track?

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: Question for BigJ
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:07:08 AM »
I didn't do the fasttrack - I only found out about it once I'd already joined in 2002 and from what I've heard they only allow recent graduates in - I graduated in '99 so they wouldn't have been interested.
Also, most of the fasttrack positions are in London which is great if you live there but I'm in the Midlands and posts are few and far between cos most of them exist in Whitehall.

amc1980

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 08:11:56 AM »
Cool. It's just that an annoying cvnt on my course is applying for it and thinks it's going to be a piece-of-piss. I was just wondering how hard it is, because it will make my day if he fails?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »
It's not easy - I wouldn't like to do it myself and I've heard it's very intense. The main reason I probably wouldn't go for it is because although I'm ambitious and want to go as far as I can, the jobs you get with fast-track are so high up that you have to do some serious butt-kissing just to stay up there. It's not a nice environment and there's so much more politics and back-stabbing at that level. If you're interested in it then there's no harm in giving it a go but personally I would give it a miss. It's not worth the hassle.

amc1980

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 02:23:53 AM »
The work sounds interesting (plus the nice pension), but for the reasons you mentioned it has never appealed to me that much. Hopefully, if all goes to plan, I should have a commission in the army ready for when I graduate.