Author Topic: to be a bb/fitness mag editor/writer position? impossible?  (Read 1775 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
to be a bb/fitness mag editor/writer position? impossible?
« on: November 05, 2006, 05:27:54 PM »
i've always wondered this. reading all the bb mags out there (flex,muscle mag, muscle & fitness, ironman, muscular development, planet muscle, the new mag REPS,etc.) just how does one go about getting a position in a bb/fitness mag?

1) you have to own the mag? 2) be a well known former or current competitor who has connections (i.e. the pros who are "contributing writers? laugh 3)just been around the bb/fitness scene for a hundred years and you know people?

i'm just curious the fact that i have a b.a. in communications and am thinking about taking classes very soon in "marketing and publishing" software classes such as desktop publishing, web design, and quark express,i thought it would be fun and interesting to work for and on a bb mag but knowing the bb world is such a who knows who business, thinking that i would be better of trying to be an assistant editor/layout guy for another field and kind of mag? any serious suggestions and thoughts?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: to be a bb/fitness mag editor/writer position? impossible?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 05:41:23 PM »
If I actually spent the time to try to reach Bob Kennedy at MuscleMag, I can practically guarantee I would be writing for them.  I spoke to Bob last December about this, he took a look at my website and I didn't follow up with it.  The only thing stopping me from pursuing it right now is having so many things on the go.  Not to say I am a really busy person, but I always have lots of little things I'm working on so I put other things on the backburner.

Tim Fogarty, Chris Mason, and a lot of the freaks on this board could definitely write for the magazines.

Matt you really think you're good enough to write for a magazine?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 05:42:40 PM »
i've always wondered this. reading all the bb mags out there (flex,muscle mag, muscle & fitness, ironman, muscular development, planet muscle, the new mag REPS,etc.) just how does one go about getting a position in a bb/fitness mag?

1) you have to own the mag? 2) be a well known former or current competitor who has connections (i.e. the pros who are "contributing writers? laugh 3)just been around the bb/fitness scene for a hundred years and you know people?

i'm just curious the fact that i have a b.a. in communications and am thinking about taking classes very soon in "marketing and publishing" software classes such as desktop publishing, web design, and quark express,i thought it would be fun and interesting to work for and on a bb mag but knowing the bb world is such a who knows who business, thinking that i would be better of trying to be an assistant editor/layout guy for another field and kind of mag? any serious suggestions and thoughts?

I think to be an editor of a bodybuilding or fitness magazine you have to be really fat and out of shape.

I could give you specific examples of this, but I don't want to go back to Time-out.  :-\
Ron: "I am lazy."

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 05:44:13 PM »

I think to be an editor of a bodybuilding or fitness magazine you have to be really fat and out of shape.

I could give you specific examples of this, but I don't want to go back to Time-out.  :-\

Hi Subtraction.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 05:46:31 PM »
Matt you really think you're good enough to write for a magazine?

I think he could easily.

Flower Boy Ran Away

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »

are you saying Ron's fat?
Deep Tissue Massage

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 06:03:05 PM »
are you saying Ron's fat?

No, I would never say something like that.

Ron: "I am lazy."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »
If you’re serious about wanting to write for a magazine, focus on your skills and getting experience--not on the subject area of body building.  Of course, it makes sense to be a gymrat yourself and to keep up on the happenings in the BB world.

Once you have experience in publishing it is relatively easy to go from one magazine to another.  You should know that many magazines or groups of magazines are owned by the same parent company.  For example Men’s Fitness, Shape, Muscle & Fitness, Living Fit, Prime, Senior Golfer, and FLEX used to be all under the same umbrella (I don’t know if they still are).

You might land a job at a magazine that has nothing to do with fitness, but after a couple years, you could transition to one of the fitness magazines owned by the parent company... and from there eventually jump ship to a Weider/AME publication.  Once you begin working in the industry your take on bodybuilding (or whatever the subject) may change dramatically.  Publishing is first and foremost a business.

If you’re attending a good school, become active in your Alumni association.  Some schools are very active promoting “favors” among and between alumni.  I used to get calls all the time about alumni resumes that were going to cross my desk and they always got special treatment.  Unfair?  Maybe.  It’s called Networking 101.  Get used to it.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 07:10:59 PM »

I disagree.

I had to stop reading those things because, in general, the writing was very poor and uninspired.  I guess it's possible things might've changed in ten years, but I doubt it. 

AVBG

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »
Ron Harris is a quality writer.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 07:50:38 PM »
Agreed.
Team Goodrum!