Author Topic: this is bullsh*t!  (Read 2537 times)

whitewidow

this is bullsh*t!
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:19:02 PM »
things like this piss me off- how can you directly link this kids suicide to steroid use? This kid obviously had some other issues! nobody forced him to inject.

Drug Enforcement Administration steroid crackdown hits home
BY MICHAEL O' KEEFFE
New York Daily News

NEW YORK - Shortly after Don Hooton appeared on ``60 Minutes'' last year to talk about his son Taylor, who killed himself after suffering from depression linked to steroid use, the Plano, Texas, executive received a phone call from a Drug Enforcement Administration agent.

The agent said he was saddened and outraged by the CBS report and vowed to do something about the drugs Hooton believed caused the high school baseball star's death.

``He told me people care and they're doing something about it,'' Hooton says. ``And damn if he wasn't true to his word.''

Last week, 20 months after that phone call, the agent invited Hooton to a DEA press conference to announce what federal authorities are calling the most significant illegal steroid bust in history. On Thursday, a federal grand jury in San Diego indicted 23 people and eight Mexican companies the DEA says sell $56 million worth of steroids to U.S. consumers annually.

DEA spokesman Misha Piastro says Operation Gear Grinder, the 21-month investigation that led to the indictments, is important because it knocks some of the nation's biggest sources of illegal steroids out of business. Seventy steroid dealers were convicted during Operation Equine, an investigation conducted by the FBI in the early 1990s. As the New York Daily News reported earlier this year, the names of baseball players, including Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco and others surfaced during that investigation, although the probe did not center on professional athletes.

Piastro says Operation Gear Grinder hasn't resulted in as many indictments or arrests, but it's important because the eight companies targeted are the source for most of the steroids seized in recent years by the DEA.

``That is taking it right to the source,'' Piastro says.

The eight companies used the Internet to reach consumers in the United States, and investigators say they have identified more than 2,000 customers in this country. The DEA doesn't have background information about the customers yet, Piastro says, but the agency expects a large percentage will turn out to be athletes or bodybuilders.

The DEA will try to question the 2,000 customers; New York DEA spokeswoman Erin Mulvey says a Brooklyn man, has already been charged with possession and conspiracy to distribute steroids. Authorities say he bought large quantities from the Mexican companies to distribute in the New York area.

Operation Gear Grinder is also notable because large-scale steroid probes are rare. Steroid experts say that's because under federal sentencing guidelines, authorities have to make huge seizures before they can put steroid dealers away for significant prison terms.

``You need 50 units of steroids to get the same penalty you get for one unit of heroin or cocaine,'' says Gary Wadler, a World Anti-Doping Agency adviser who called for stiffer penalties for steroid offences at a U.S. Sentencing Commission hearing in September.

``Prosecutors have a budget, and they have to figure out how to utilize their resources in the best way. This is not a surprise. Compared to steroids, heroin and cocaine give them more bang for their buck.''

Rick Collins, a Long Island defense attorney who specializes in steroid cases, says the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 - the federal law that made steroids illegal - was sporadically enforced for years after its passage. Increased scrutiny of international packages after 9/11 prompted authorities to ramp up enforcement, but Collins says most defendants are small-timers who purchase steroids for cosmetic reasons.

``Most of the users I've represented have been mature adults who are otherwise law-abiding people using steroids for cosmetic reasons,'' he says.

The eight companies indicted under Operation Gear Grinder operated under the guise of veterinary medicine suppliers, but most of the products listed on company Web sites were anabolic steroids sold in doses fit only for humans. Customers could place orders by phone or e-mail, pay by wire transfers and have steroids smuggled across the U.S.-Mexico border or shipped directly to them.

Five men are already in custody, including Alberto Saltiel-Cohen, a Mexico City veterinarian who owns three companies that manufacture and distribute steroids. One of those companies, Quality Vet, produced the steroid Plano police found in Taylor Hooton's bedroom shortly after his suicide.

``It was rather satisfying,'' Hooton says, ``to watch this man be arraigned in federal court.''

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: this is bullsh*t!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:30:28 PM »
That article is almost a year old...someone bumped that thread on the gossip board...

Yes, it is complete bullshit when we have REAL drugs getting passed around in high schools and i see drug dealers everyday in downtown houston.

8)

whitewidow

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:38:09 PM »
Yeah I know operation gear grinder was old and I know about all the companys and people involved but I did not know that dumbshits kid dad in plano started all this fuss. they just could not come to terms that the man had problems :-\ to blame his suicide on steroid usage is ridiculous c'mon.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »
Yeah I know operation gear grinder was old and I know about all the companys and people involved but I did not know that dumbshits kid dad in plano started all this fuss. they just could not come to terms that the man had problems :-\ to blame his suicide on steroid usage is ridiculous c'mon.

The father's guilt over not knowing his son was depressed and using AAS is what's driving this.

He needs something to lay the blame on, when it's his own fault for now knowing his son.

He can't face the truth...........or doesn't want to.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

whitewidow

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 05:11:23 PM »
The father's guilt over not knowing his son was depressed and using AAS is what's driving this.

He needs something to lay the blame on, when it's his own fault for now knowing his son.

He can't face the truth...........or doesn't want to.

DIV

The thing is it was not the gear that triggered it. just look at a post yesterday -one guy said dbol makes him feel great and could even work as an anti depressant. this Dad is going over board, his actions and accusations got QV and animal power and syd group all shut down. >:(

SPRINKFSU

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 05:12:02 PM »
I think someone told him to blame it on steroids.i watched this before ill try to find the video and link it but what isnt told in the article is the fact that he was having problems with school and his girlfriend and the fact that his parent were on the verge of a divorce.This guy had a one on one interview and these topics were brought up and he stated yes these problems were accurring but this was brought on by steroid use not by anything else.

and how can you not know your kid wasnt on steroids the kid was 16 years old played baseball he already weighd 180 pounds and all of a sudden hes even bigger?looks like bad parenting

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 05:46:49 PM »
The thing is it was not the gear that triggered it. just look at a post yesterday -one guy said dbol makes him feel great and could even work as an anti depressant. this Dad is going over board, his actions and accusations got QV and animal power and syd group all shut down. >:(

Of course it wasn't the AAS that triggered it, but the father doesn't care.  He needs something to blame for the death of his son.

You'd be suprised at how simple minded people can be....

It's his own fault he didn't know his son better....

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...