Author Topic: VOLUME TRAINING!!!!!  (Read 6660 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
VOLUME TRAINING!!!!!
« on: November 09, 2006, 03:39:38 PM »
i never took this method seriously. but ive been trying it lately as a last ditch effort to break the plateau ive been at on strength for so long. and FUCK it is AWESOME!

daddywaddy is right!!!!!!

pick a group and do 80-150 reps or as many as you can do till you cant do anymore. you will get the best pump ever. and you will be leaner and more cut cause it burns so many more calories. workout for like 2 hours straight. eat whatever u want. i did volume for chest last week and it destroyed me. i did 120 pullups over 10 sets a few days ago and my lats are already bigger! i did some pushdowns then 150 close grip bp's just now and i feel like a a fucking beam of energy and godlike sublime greatness.
FUCK the '5x5' crap. you will be straining at the end and will get a pump and be sore but it is rougher on your joints and is NEARLY as effective as a long ass workout maintaining a pump over hours with hundreds of reps.
i suggest everyone tries the MONSTER VOLUME strategy. you too can be and feel legendary.

AVBG

Re: VOLUME TRAINING!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »
i never took this method seriously. but ive been trying it lately as a last ditch effort to break the plateau ive been at on strength for so long. and f**k it is AWESOME!

pick a group and do 80-150 reps or as many as you can do till you cant do anymore. you will get the best pump ever. and you will be leaner and more cut cause it burns so many more calories. workout for like 2 hours straight. eat whatever u want. i did volume for chest last week and it destroyed me. i did 120 pullups over 10 sets a few days ago and my lats are already bigger! i did some pushdowns then 150 close grip bp's just now and i feel like a a fucking beam of energy and godlike sublime greatness.
f**k the '5x5' crap. you will be straining at the end and will get a pump and be sore but it is rougher on your joints and is NEARLY as effective as a long ass workout maintaining a pump over hours with hundreds of reps.
i suggest everyone tries the MONSTER VOLUME strategy. you too can be and feel legendary.

check out this site John Matrix.. www.robthoburn.com . This guy has some interesting philosophy for training.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:55:49 PM »
Fuck that.

You can either train hard or long but you can't do both. Training intensity and duration exist as an inverse ratio.

You will plateau again in 2 weeks. Good luck.
~

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:59:41 PM »
f**k that.

You can either train hard or long but you can't do both. Training intensity and duration exist as an inverse ratio.

You will plateau again in 2 weeks. Good luck.
i know what your saying figgs. but the short, heavy, low rep workouts werent doing it for me anymore. except on legs i still do 4-5 sets squats 10 reps.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:19:10 PM »
i know what your saying figgs. but the short, heavy, low rep workouts werent doing it for me anymore. except on legs i still do 4-5 sets squats 10 reps.

That's because your body had acclimated to it. Had you cycled heavy training with higher rep/shorter rest periods, you probably wouldn't have had that problem.
Many people do not understand how to cycle their training. They don't change their program quick enough, or you also have the opposites that change it too fast-and your body can adapt to this just as much as it can not changing them fast enough.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »
TRAIN LIKE DADDYWADDY ITS THE ONLY WAY NOW EAT LIKE ME TOO. mad peanutbutter, icecream , pizza, butter, waffles
A

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 04:42:57 PM »
Volume training works for some people , I've tried really heavy with good form for low reps to the point where I can't do another rep and I just don't feel the muscle is completely worked , with more volume I feel the muscle is completely worked I tend to go by feel if I do 8 sets of bench and if I feel the muscle is still not 100% worked I keep going , I don't like to count sets but I tend to go high on most exercises .

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »
i never took this method seriously. but ive been trying it lately as a last ditch effort to break the plateau ive been at on strength for so long. and f**k it is AWESOME!

f**k the '5x5' crap. you will be straining at the end and will get a pump and be sore but it is rougher on your joints and is NEARLY as effective as a long ass workout maintaining a pump over hours with hundreds of reps. So,basically we did about 300-400 reps per bodypart and yes, we did those with squats!!

Hate to tell you this but for me at least, we did something similar over 20 years ago, when I trained with Rory (MaxRep can confirm) periodically we would do 100's it's a little more detailed than I will describe, but basically, we would pick 3-4 exercises per bodypart, our first set if we did less than 75 reps we would stay at that weight until we completed 100 reps, if we went beyond 75 reps, we would go up in weight the next time we did the same routein, 100's were only good for about 6-8 weeks then you HAD to go back to another routein!

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »
I have not done volume in years, work, school, wife, kids...it just doesn't work when you get older.
nasser=piece of shit

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »
Hate to tell you this but for me at least, we did something similar over 20 years ago, when I trained with Rory (MaxRep can confirm) periodically we would do 100's it's a little more detailed than I will describe, but basically, we would pick 3-4 exercises per bodypart, our first set if we did less than 75 reps we would stay at that weight until we completed 100 reps, if we went beyond 75 reps, we would go up in weight the next time we did the same routein, 100's were only good for about 6-8 weeks then you HAD to go back to another routein!

Tell more.

I heard Rory trained hit style too.

How did Bob Paris train?
just push some weight!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 05:58:35 PM »

Conformed Joe. Of course most of Rory’s routines were heavy training on a volume approach but those periods with 100’s were a killer and brought on a growth spurt especially with “trouble” body-parts.

Tell more.

I heard Rory trained hit style too.

How did Bob Paris train?

No Alexxx Rory did NOT train HIT. He trained and had his clients (I was one) train HEAVY with volume. You’d hit every section of a muscle as if it was an entire bodypart. In other words side delts would get hit for 2 to 3 exercises for about 4 sets or 8 to 12 sets total. Same with rear or front delts, upper/lower chest, On bodyparts like calves, it would be 12 sets seated one day and 12 sets standing another day. Everything was super heavy especially exercises that are/were traditionally shapers. Of course there is so much more to it than that but what I just gave is a snapshot.
and keep moving!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 06:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the sweet info. Out of curiosity did you ever see how Arnold trained?
just push some weight!

body88

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 06:03:15 PM »
I have been into the volume thing latley

For legs tonight I did

6 sets of squats  10 - 15 reps

6 sets of hacks 12 - 15  reps

6 sets of leg extensions  15 - 20 reps

6 sets of standing ham curls  10 - 12 reps

6 sets of seated leg curls 8 - 10 reps

5 sets of standing calf raises 6 - 8 reps

5 sets seated 15 - 20 reps

those sets include the light warm up set....

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 06:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the sweet info. Out of curiosity did you ever see how Arnold trained?

Not personally but I trained with Danny Padilla and Danny had trained with Arnold and his routine was very similar. Arnold influenced Danny's training. Danny was ALWAYS 4 exercises per bodypart for 5 sets of 12 reps. Split was Chest/Back, Shoulders/Arms, Legs. 2X a week on bodyparts until 6 weeks out then 3X's a week. 45 to 60 second rest periods max.
and keep moving!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »
Not personally but I trained with Danny Padilla and Danny had trained with Arnold and his routine was very similar. Arnold influenced Danny's training. Danny was ALWAYS 4 exercises per bodypart for 5 sets of 12 reps. Split was Chest/Back, Shoulders/Arms, Legs. 2X a week on bodyparts until 6 weeks out then 3X's a week. 45 to 60 second rest periods max.

Curious, how do you train?
just push some weight!

AVBG

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 06:20:59 PM »

Hey Max, would you advocate this type of training for the drug free bbr? (2x a week)? or would you go with the current popular method (1x per week- bodypart)?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 06:45:17 PM »
Hey Max, would you advocate this type of training for the drug free bbr? (2x a week)? or would you go with the current popular method (1x per week- bodypart)?

Alot of people are very much misinformed with hit, does it work? Yes, it works and in my opinion it only works when your on gear, now the protocal that Max just described will work without gear because you have just the right about of recoup time as opposed to HIT which you have TOO MUCH recoupe time, anotherwords, start the bodypart just when FINISH recovering, if that doesn't make sense I'll explain later...I gotta go now!

AVBG

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 06:46:49 PM »
Alot of people are very much misinformed with hit, does it work? Yes, it works and in my opinion it only works when your on gear, now the protocal that Max just described will work without gear because you have just the right about of recoup time as opposed to HIT which you have TOO MUCH recoupe time, anotherwords, start the bodypart just when FINISH recovering, if that doesn't make sense I'll explain later...I gotta go now!

please elaborate. this is interesting.  :)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 07:04:38 PM »
another thing to remember its 'somewhat' pointless to train in this fashion if you are not getting around 8000 calories. because you will not grow eating maintenance calories

latley ive been forcefeeding 8-10,000 and every workout i progress kinda nuts, i have put on bodyfat. but i only have to diet for a few days to lose the new bodyfat
A

AVBG

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 07:07:03 PM »
another thing to remember its 'somewhat' pointless to train in this fashion if you are not getting around 8000 calories. because you will not grow eating maintenance calories

latley ive been forcefeeding 8-10,000 and every workout i progress kinda nuts, i have put on bodyfat. but i only have to diet for a few days to lose the new bodyfat

DW- I don't mean to flame.. But..Do you recycle the same post over and over again?

Bro, the whole fricken board has heard about the huge amount of calories you consume.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 07:08:34 PM »
DW- I don't mean to flame.. But..Do you recycle the same post over and over again?

Bro, the whole fricken board has heard about the huge amount of calories you consume.

some people will never get it thats why i repeat myself. this is for the newbs on here who dont realize that the master of weightlifting is giving out crucial data's
A

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 07:16:45 PM »
dude 8-10,000 calories is way too much even with your legendary workouts, no wonder you are gaining some fat. the most you would ever need to eat is around half that. isnt it great to be able to 'lean up' in a matter of days though? ;D

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »
dude 8-10,000 calories is way too much even with your legendary workouts, no wonder you are gaining some fat. the most you would ever need to eat is around half that. isnt it great to be able to 'lean up' in a matter of days though? ;D

well i do 30 min of high intensity cardio on the stair master 3 days on 1 off. it says i burn 1500 calories on that alone, i go through 2 tanktops full of sweat haha. but yeah the fat comes off real fast though. i used to just do the all or nothing approach to dieting basically i would eat much at all when deiting 800-1000 calories, i think i need about 3000 calories to diet (high fat low carbs) an hit the high intense cardio but only do cardio so im thinking 45 min to an hour of just cardio to rid of the fat, once im back down in respectable range ...maybe 2 to 3 days at most then ill continue bulking.....plus i get wicked sore eating all these calories, it definitly allows my muslces to expand and contract harder with more calories flowing through them
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 07:24:06 PM »
my new plan is like this

bulking days im thinking 10 days in a row straight up bulk and cardio and weights

2-3 days of cut just mad cardio increase duration and intensity if possible
A

johnnytosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »
my new plan is like this

bulking days im thinking 10 days in a row straight up bulk and cardio and weights

2-3 days of cut just mad cardio increase duration and intensity if possible

You have a good physique Daddy. But going from one extreme to to other is typical of
younger athletes, and it doesn't make any sense. yates used to always talk about NOT going to extremes, it is too shocking (in a bad way) to the body.  Its just like the people that train 7 days in a row-=then take 4 days off.  It makes more sense to work WITH your body than against it.

As BB's, we (including me) are always thinking about going to extremes-one way or the other.
But it shows nothing more than impatience. Moderation over a long time yeilds better results.