Author Topic: James deMelo  (Read 6195 times)

franco

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
James deMelo
« on: November 10, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »
The October issue of Natural Champion online magazine (www.naturalchampion.net) features a story on James deMelo, rising super star of bodybuilding in the 1980s  (winner of the 1983 Teen National bodybuilding championships, runner-up in the 1986 Heavyweight division of the USA championships and cover model for numerous magazines, including Muscle & Fitness and Iron Man, deMelo had ‘the look’ to make it to the top, not only in bodybuilding competition but as a marketable commodity) who traded the bodybuilding lifestyle for a life devoted to spreading the gospel of Christ.

Check on the calves on the front page shot…incredible then and now.

chris_ca

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: James deMelo
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:24:06 PM »
now that he's natural why doesn't he use a picture of himself off drugs. 

isn't his current lifestyle (i.e christian, non drug using natural bb) a repudiation of his past?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 06:09:43 AM »
Looks like a Greek Adonis. Has some interesting training guidelines.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 08:52:13 PM »
Jimmy was one strong dude.  He also sported some of the biggest calves in BB 24 inches.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
Jimmy was one strong dude.  He also sported some of the biggest calves in BB 24 inches.

Jude is correct here. Bit of a story . . .

In the mid-80's I was training at Frogs in Solana Beach California. My training partner was a young up and commer named Ronnie Abston. Ron was viewed as the next big thing, most thought he would go on to hold the Sandow. One of Ron's claims to fame were his calves, they made everyone's look pretty shabby. He stood next to Dickerson, Coe and although much younger, his were every bit as good and given time it was thought Big Ron would surpass their calf development.

Well it was calf day ( I hated it ) traing calf's with Ron was like getting a flame thrower put to your legs . .  30 to 50 rep sets with weight that would blow your mind. We were about mid way through out standing raises and in walks James, his calf's stood out like you would not believe. Most were shocked and speachless. Brett the manager takes one look points to James's calf's and yells ''Look at these, Ronnie has competition!" In a flash Ronnie spins his head to look and his right leg slips off the block and down he crashes. What a noise, he was using the stack and several 100 lbs dbls on the machine. We all laughed . . .  Now, Ron was a man's man and he was not gonna let us know he was hurt, he gets up finishes his set and hits the showers.

I saw him that night at a local club, two woman on his arms, doing shots and loaded with pain killers. I asked how he felt, he said . . . " about as good as these ladies are gonna fell when I take em home," he then hit the dance floor. I laughed and walked away. I looked back to see his right ankle black and blue, 3 times it's normal size and as I looked up Ronnie lipped "I'm fucken dying." LOL

Ronnie went on to win the Lt Heavies at the NPC Cali's and walked away from what most believe to be several Sandows to become one the most successful lawyers in the state.

The legal communities gain was bodybuildings loss.

Oh, well . . .

The Beef

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 06:46:21 PM »
Beef I couldn't get over the size of Jimmy when he first came back form Cali to louisiana he was 275 and was a site to see.  Everyone in the gym was like WTF, of course he had his sweats rolled up so everyone could see his COWS.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »
Beef I couldn't get over the size of Jimmy when he first came back form Cali to louisiana he was 275 and was a site to see.  Everyone in the gym was like WTF, of course he had his sweats rolled up so everyone could see his COWS.

There was a pic in an old issue of M&F which I would love to see again. It was of James and he had on foot wear which looked like ski boots ( I think they were Reebok. ) Anyone have that pic ( I think the article was about leg training?)

The Beef

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:30:53 PM »
if only 619rules was on

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 08:54:52 AM »
Yes, old 619Rules . . . He does post on Milos's board and has a YouTube account and also plays checkers at POGO, but sadly he's not here :(

I should also mention that James's calves were not 24' closer to 20', but still out of this world.

The Beef