Author Topic: buying protein powder for first time  (Read 7782 times)

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
buying protein powder for first time
« on: November 11, 2006, 06:21:48 PM »
what ones have u had good experiences with? i want whey protein for after i workout. im just gonna mix it with water probly so sumhting that doesnt taste bad and is pretty cheap. im hoping to get it tommorow so i can start using it monday. any of them that u saw gains with that u think were directly related to taking it?

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: buying protein powder for first time
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »
there are lots of good ones to choose from...i use isopure by natures best.

for your pwo shake you should also pick up some dextrose to mix with the protein.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »
Honestly..like..ust buy whatevers cheapest. if you're a big fatty with heart problems or whatever the fuck, get one with low cholesterol i guess...but honestly....in my opinion, protein is protein, get waht you think tastes better, or whats cheaper.

Thats what i do..granted, i look liek shit on a stick

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 07:30:11 PM »
I use the stuff from Costco called Pro Rated Premium. Its got a blend of proteins. Its cheap @ $25 for 6lbs. I've used it for years and see nothing wrong with it. I would prefer to use Optimum Pro Complex but I cant afford that stuff all the time.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 07:48:29 PM »
It takes some trial and error to find a good one, some brands i couldnt' diegest too well.
bodybuildersreality.com

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 12:22:15 AM »
I look for value for money, e.g. protein per 30g serve. The most protein per serve at the least price. Alot of the "mass gainers" which combine carbs and protein may be alot cheaper, but they often have much less protein per serve, because they use carbs instead.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 03:25:40 AM »
stick with whole foods, its cheaper and more effective.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 04:04:14 AM »
stick with whole foods, its cheaper and more effective.
stupid... he's looking for protein powder not advice

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 09:47:19 AM »
stupid... he's looking for protein powder not advice

no shit. i get tired of all the jackasses and their 'whole food' crap. not everyone has the time to eat 10 whole food meals a day.

try Optimum Nutrition. tastes great and is reasonably priced
Go Big Red!!!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 10:23:04 AM »
Hit up www.trueprotein.com  True Protein has the best products I have tried, their prices are low, and unlike the vast majority of supplement companies, they are completely honest with their customers...

Whatever you do, don't spend a cent on muscletech products.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 11:35:34 AM »
no shit. i get tired of all the jackasses and their 'whole food' crap. not everyone has the time to eat 10 whole food meals a day.

try Optimum Nutrition. tastes great and is reasonably priced

Not to mention the fact that if I ate chicken instead of protein powder I would be spending like $45 a week rather than $15. How is whole food cheaper? And who in the hell has time to cook all that meat???

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 05:20:03 PM »
I use the stuff from Costco called Pro Rated Premium. Its got a blend of proteins. Its cheap @ $25 for 6lbs. I've used it for years and see nothing wrong with it. I would prefer to use Optimum Pro Complex but I cant afford that stuff all the time.
im glad u said this because i have a question about it. i almost picked this stuff up because its cheap and its whey protein and all of that good stuff but i looked and the third ingredient is sumthin called MICELLAR CASEIN. i didnt know what is was so i looked it up at home and found out that  Micellar casein is an extremely slow digesting protein source. i know its still good for your muscles and all but wouldnt that be bad for you post workout? i know it contains a few kinds of fast digesting proteins as well but wouldnt this micellar crap kinda slow digestion of the whole thing?

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/specp.html

anyone ever tried this kind? im thinking about getting it.  the bottom line about it is:
95 calories
24 grams of protein
less that one gram of fat
less than one carb
Ingredients are:
Water-washed isolated soy protein, whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrate, isolated sasein peptides, whey protein dyrolsates, glutmaine, peptides, l-carnitine, natural and artificial flavors, cocoa, guar gum, stevia, acesulfame potassium.

it costs 14.95 for two pounds (60 total servings)  i think its a pretty good price but it may be cheaper other places. im only gonna use it after my workouts so it should last me a long time because im starting a new program where i only train 3 days a week. so assuming no injuries this will last me... 20 weeks=5 months. pretty good i think.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:57 PM »
....and found out that  Micellar casein is an extremely slow digesting protein source....

casein is good to take before you go to bed.  it digests slowly so your body has a more steady protein intake throughout the night.  i would not use casein in a post-workout shake.

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »

anyone ever tried this kind? im thinking about getting it.  the bottom line about it is:
95 calories
24 grams of protein
less that one gram of fat
less than one carb
Ingredients are:
Water-washed isolated soy protein, whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrate, isolated sasein peptides, whey protein dyrolsates, glutmaine, peptides, l-carnitine, natural and artificial flavors, cocoa, guar gum, stevia, acesulfame potassium.

it costs 14.95 for two pounds (60 total servings)  i think its a pretty good price but it may be cheaper other places. im only gonna use it after my workouts so it should last me a long time because im starting a new program where i only train 3 days a week. so assuming no injuries this will last me... 20 weeks=5 months. pretty good i think.

my math may be wrong, but 2 pounds is around 900 grams. if you're getting 60 servings that would make each serving roughly 15 grams? something doesn't add up there
Go Big Red!!!

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »
Probably get hell for this.....but GNC's 100% whey protein is decent priced.  When I worked their in college, Optimum Nutrition actually manufactured the stuff for Gnc....or at least that's what we were told....dont' know if it's still true, but ....I've tried the GNC stuff and It's absolutely identical in taste to the ON stuff. 

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 09:54:52 PM »
Probably get hell for this.....but GNC's 100% whey protein is decent priced.  When I worked their in college, Optimum Nutrition actually manufactured the stuff for Gnc....or at least that's what we were told....dont' know if it's still true, but ....I've tried the GNC stuff and It's absolutely identical in taste to the ON stuff. 
I've used a weight gainer by them before...along time ago. It tasted really good actually, but it was kind of expensive.
bodybuildersreality.com

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 09:14:18 AM »
im glad u said this because i have a question about it. i almost picked this stuff up because its cheap and its whey protein and all of that good stuff but i looked and the third ingredient is sumthin called MICELLAR CASEIN. i didnt know what is was so i looked it up at home and found out that  Micellar casein is an extremely slow digesting protein source. i know its still good for your muscles and all but wouldnt that be bad for you post workout? i know it contains a few kinds of fast digesting proteins as well but wouldnt this micellar crap kinda slow digestion of the whole thing?

I dont think the ratio of micellar casein is so much that it over-powers the whole thing. It hasnt let me down and I have tried just about every protein out there. Like I said there are some better ones but not for the money. If you are concerned with it then just get Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Its good stuff too and almost as cheap!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 09:40:39 AM »
Ingredients are:
Water-washed isolated soy protein  . . .

While there is some research pointing to soy as an effective protein source, it has somewhat of a checkered reputation for my taste.  I stick with whey (most easily absorbed) and then milke or egg based protein for nighttime consumption.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 11:16:12 AM »
Hit up www.trueprotein.com  True Protein has the best products I have tried, their prices are low, and unlike the vast majority of supplement companies, they are completely honest with their customers...

Whatever you do, don't spend a cent on muscletech products.
Great post! Also very true! Don't even consider spending a single cent on M.T. Inc products. Be smarter that that.

Trueprotein.com or my 2 favorite companies are Beverly International or Pride Nutrition.
?

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 05:47:02 PM »
I dont think the ratio of micellar casein is so much that it over-powers the whole thing. It hasnt let me down and I have tried just about every protein out there. Like I said there are some better ones but not for the money. If you are concerned with it then just get Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Its good stuff too and almost as cheap!
ya you might be right that it doesnt make too much of a difference but i dont want to end up feeling i spent my money the wrong way or anything so this is what i got. the ON 100 % whey like u said, i havent heard any complaints about it and my brother used to use it and he liked it.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
its got 24 grams of protein
3 grams of carbs
1.5 grams of fat

i just ordered it off bodybuilding.com. 5 lb.'s for 35.00 (including shipping and handling)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 09:18:34 AM »
Cant go wrong with that! Good choice!

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 12:42:44 PM »
Protein powder is protein powder, they are all virtually the same.  One thing, If it shakes up smoothly, its good whey, if it shakes up and is still lumpy, that means it was fucked up in the heating process.

But theres really none BETTER than the other if they both beat the shake it up test.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 03:40:57 AM »
It takes some trial and error to find a good one, some brands i couldnt' diegest too well.
Me too especially EAS. I go for Ultimate and Dymatize protein!
S

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 03:42:31 AM »
there are lots of good ones to choose from...i use isopure by natures best.

for your pwo shake you should also pick up some dextrose to mix with the protein.
It is a good idea. I don't buy dextrose, I usually mix protein with low fat milk, cause it is also rich in carbohydrates.
S