Author Topic: Strongest bodybuilders of all time.  (Read 19049 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
Re: Strongest bodybuilders of all time.
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 05:21:55 PM »
I actually only met Mike once maybe twice.  And it wasn't during when he was big.  It was when he lived in the streets.  SO I have no idea.  But I think Ray was bigger than Mike anyway.  WHen we were training in 85 & 86 Ray weighed about 280 to 290.  He had unreal huge legs and his triceps were just ridiculous.  He trained others in the gym differently than how we trained, as far as I know.  We did what he called the Russian Strength workout.  And we also didn't do this all the time and I didn't train everyday with him.  Sometimes he was busy or I had something else I wanted to do.  The thing I did like about Ray was sometime he would either call me or come over and make me train.  Even when I didn't want to.  Rays gym (Muscle Mill) was a great place to train.  Benny Podda was there all the time too.

Another thing I forgot to mention was how awesome it was to watch Platz train legs.  In fact I don't remember ever seeing him train anything else.  maybe just the timing.  He would go to failure where these two guys would literally hold him up and carry him to the bench between sets.  And a smuch as I don't Chris Dickerson, I will never forget how much abs he did before the Olympia cause he came in 40 pounds over weight.  He would 30 minutes or of twists and then do hundreds of situps.  But allot of twists.

280 lbs.? That's crazy!

hehehe yeah, I heard stories about Tom Platz's leg training. I try to emulate that intensity when I train. I havn't needed to be carried yet, but I need help getting off the floor sometimes after collapsing after squats.

Why don't you like Dickerson? That's a lot of ab work. I only do like 2 sets of abs a month.
~

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 05:25:48 PM »
Keith, did you actually see Ray squat with 900+ lbs?

yes as did several others more than once.

fonz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 05:45:14 PM »
I think you are mistaken.  I might believe the bench especially if it is with a shirt but he does not deadlift over 900 lbs or he is the best kept secret in the strength world.

man u have to see him..........hes half russian half lebanese.he used to live in both countries and now in california.
by the i saw him deadlift exactly about 365kg easlily,and about the bench press im sure its 310kg and he always insists not to wear the tight shirt if u meant that........any way im just tellin what i saw. i wont gain anything by makin him what hes not......i dont know if hes the best kept secret  in strength world, although he trains as a bb not a powerlifter and he lifts  that much........simply hes a very strong guy

fonz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2006, 05:47:59 PM »

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2006, 05:57:04 PM »
man u have to see him..........hes half russian half lebanese.he used to live in both countries and now in california.
by the i saw him deadlift exactly about 365kg easlily,and about the bench press im sure its 310kg and he always insists not to wear the tight shirt if u meant that........any way im just tellin what i saw. i wont gain anything by makin him what hes not......i dont know if hes the best kept secret  in strength world, although he trains as a bb not a powerlifter and he lifts  that much........simply hes a very strong guy

There is a big difference between 365 kg and 410 kg, no?

Are you saying he benches that weight raw or equipped?  Did he use straps for the deadlift?

I am not saying it is impossible.  If he does in fact lift those kind of weights I suggest you have him take up powerlifting or strongman.  He would do very well.
w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 05:58:44 PM »
Ahhh, wait a second.  What is his name? 
w

fonz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »
There is a big difference between 365 kg and 410 kg, no?

Are you saying he benches that weight raw or equipped?  Did he use straps for the deadlift?

I am not saying it is impossible.  If he does in fact lift those kind of weights I suggest you have him take up powerlifting or strongman.  He would do very well.

yes theres difference between 365kg and 410 which is the squat which is 400
i saw him use choke powder
he trains in Milos Sarcev's gym his name is mohammed anouti.they call big Mo there
he likes bb so much thats why he competed just 2 times in powerlifting and won as the arab strongest man,but still he doesnt like it bec. he tore his right pec and always gets injured....hes into bb and now ill tell a secret hes tryin wrestling(wcw) i wish him luck.hes very down to earth and has a great personality.he helped so much in my powerlifting training.he deserves the best

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »
there is absolutely no way in hell that Chuck Sipes bench pressed 585 like he claimed he could and there were a few bb'ers around at the time who said that they never saw him use anymore than 400 for a very hard single.

Where did Sipes ever claim a 585 bench press?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 06:32:37 PM »
Casey Viator had supposedly legendary strength, 750lb. squats and 450lb. inclines, etc.

When Arthur Jones ran Sergio through the routine Viator went through with a breeze Sergio almost died. Arthur Jones got Sergio in his best shape in 1972 with a Arthurs early version of HIT.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 06:38:42 PM »

I read plenty of times Sipes benched 585.
The House that Ruth built

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 06:41:26 PM »
When Arthur Jones ran Sergio through the routine Viator went through with a breeze Sergio almost died. Arthur Jones got Sergio in his best shape in 1972 with a Arthurs early version of HIT.

Viator was already used to the routine. Big difference.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 08:11:06 PM »
Not to brag or anything but Ray would first get a little upset because I was stronger than him in every lift except squats.  He would first look kind of pissed off when I would do more than him, but then he would go tell everyone how much I did like he was bragging.  He was so thick.  He squatted 903 for 2 deep and I couldn't do half that weight.  He was strong.  Seeing how Bertil benched 500 was one of the most awesome things I have seen in a gym. Watching Franco standing on blocks doing bent overs with 405 with no shirt on was awesome to.  Seeing Roy Callendar do dips and chins with 2 150 lb dumbells hanging from his waist for reps was unreal too.

seriuosly man what were you guys eating back then like slabs of butter on pankakes? im sure you guys ate super high calories to get to that level of strength? what like 3 pounds of cheese melted on a pot of macronie and beef?
A

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 09:19:27 PM »
yes as did several others more than once.
that is insane.
bodybuildersreality.com

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2006, 04:57:58 AM »
We all know about Franco and Sipes being strong. I read yesterday a quote by Bill Pearl at Ironage where he stated the all around strongest bodybuilder he ever saw was Ray Mentzer. He was incredibly strong in every movement. He could curl 240 pounds for reps on the Nautilus Bicep machine with ONE arm as an example of his power.
The barbarian brothers wear animals in the gym. Never competeted but they through all kinds of sick weight.

PB

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 06:26:21 AM »

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 06:34:20 AM »
i am surpised none of you mentioned the great eddie robinson..he benched 600lbs in his teens...i would say franco columbu along with ronnie coleman are the strongest ever.no body comes close
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 06:40:31 AM »
i read it in quite a few places but there have been MANY bb'ers from that time that say the claim was bullshit and that Chuck was always claimimg weights he couldn't lift, if you look at the time when Sipes competed which was the late 50's early to mid 60's there was only one guy benching that kind of weight and that was Pat Casey, Sipes claim was bullshit.

j3di3

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 08:25:16 AM »
viator

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 08:26:30 AM »
viator
brutal reverse grip power cleans.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 08:28:35 AM »
The guy on the right must be like 7-8'
The Number 2 in Scranton

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 08:31:21 AM »
viator
damn those straight bar curls of any kind are painfull..fucks up the wrists
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 08:32:09 AM »
i am surpised none of you mentioned the great eddie robinson..he benched 600lbs in his teens...i would say franco columbu along with ronnie coleman are the strongest ever.no body comes close

Yes, indeed. Eddie Robinson was true pitt bull
Get Big, or Die Trying

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 08:33:09 AM »

Eddie benched almost as much as you "hugepecs" and you weigh 100lbs. less. ::)

body88

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 08:34:13 AM »
Viator was a monster

He is NINETEEN in the first pic.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 08:35:21 AM »