Author Topic: Strongest bodybuilders of all time.  (Read 19047 times)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Strongest bodybuilders of all time.
« on: November 12, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »
We all know about Franco and Sipes being strong. I read yesterday a quote by Bill Pearl at Ironage where he stated the all around strongest bodybuilder he ever saw was Ray Mentzer. He was incredibly strong in every movement. He could curl 240 pounds for reps on the Nautilus Bicep machine with ONE arm as an example of his power.
The House that Ruth built

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Strongest bodybuilders of all time.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 12:55:36 PM »
We all know about Franco and Sipes being strong. I read yesterday a quote by Bill Pearl at Ironage where he stated the all around strongest bodybuilder he ever saw was Ray Mentzer. He was incredibly strong in every movement. He could curl 240 pounds for reps on the Nautilus Bicep machine with ONE arm as an example of his power.
Casey Viator had supposedly legendary strength, 750lb. squats and 450lb. inclines, etc.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:58:28 PM »
I guess HIT works.
~

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:59:27 PM »
some of Rory Liedelmeyer's claims are a little hard to believe 550lb. bench presses, 800lb. squats and 500lb. barbell rows, i don't know about those.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 01:00:44 PM »
Ronnie has to be up there

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 01:01:45 PM »
And Greg Kovacs.
~

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 01:02:03 PM »
Casey Viator had supposedly legendary strength, 750lb. squats and 450lb. inclines, etc.

Casey was a genetic freak 8)
I

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »
there is absolutely no way in hell that Chuck Sipes bench pressed 585 like he claimed he could and there were a few bb'ers around at the time who said that they never saw him use anymore than 400 for a very hard single.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »
Can't think of anyone close to Coleman other than Kovacs but there must be some others currently.

Fox in the old daze, Szkalak, Grymko.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 01:07:20 PM »
Would those be one rep max lifts?  I suppose it's possible, but Rory was around 6'1 from what I recall so he would have a long range of motion.
there was an old issue of Ironman from when you were probably 13 or 14 where he claimed that he handled 500 for reps on benches, 800lb. squat for a triple and 550lb. barbell rows, there's no way he did those, the man looked awesome though and if i could look like any pro except for McGrath it would be him.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 01:16:19 PM »
I agree on Rory and Mcgrath - both have awesome builds, and as huge as they are carry their weight better than most pros.  I think this is in part because they are both taller and have tight waists.  I might have that old Ironman since I bought tons of used ones.  But I'm doubting those claims.  Not too many bodybuilders have ever really handled 500 for reps.  Ronnie, Bertil, Levrone, Dennis James, and a few others come to mind though.
the issue was from like 94 or 95, i'm sure he was strong but not that strong.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 01:21:20 PM »

Not to brag or anything but Ray would first get a little upset because I was stronger than him in every lift except squats.  He would first look kind of pissed off when I would do more than him, but then he would go tell everyone how much I did like he was bragging.  He was so thick.  He squatted 903 for 2 deep and I couldn't do half that weight.  He was strong.  Seeing how Bertil benched 500 was one of the most awesome things I have seen in a gym. Watching Franco standing on blocks doing bent overs with 405 with no shirt on was awesome to.  Seeing Roy Callendar do dips and chins with 2 150 lb dumbells hanging from his waist for reps was unreal too.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 01:25:24 PM »
Not to brag or anything but Ray would first get a little upset because I was stronger than him in every lift except squats.  He would first look kind of pissed off when I would do more than him, but then he would go tell everyone how much I did like he was bragging.  He was so thick.  He squatted 903 for 2 deep and I couldn't do half that weight.  He was strong.  Seeing how Bertil benched 500 was one of the most awesome things I have seen in a gym. Watching Franco standing on blocks doing bent overs with 405 with no shirt on was awesome to.  Seeing Roy Callendar do dips and chins with 2 150 lb dumbells hanging from his waist for reps was unreal too.
i get jealous as hell whenever i read these stories Keith, i wish i could have seen some of those things.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 01:25:38 PM »
He squatted 903 for 2 deep and I couldn't do half that weight.  He was strong.  Seeing how Bertil benched 500 was one of the most awesome things I have seen in a gym. Watching Franco standing on blocks doing bent overs with 405 with no shirt on was awesome to.  Seeing Roy Callendar do dips and chins with 2 150 lb dumbells hanging from his waist for reps was unreal too.

That shit must have been amazing to watch, I wish there was a gym with real weightlifters/BBers around my area.
I

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »

Hey onlyme, I read Ray M eventually surpassed his brothers level of size in the 80s. Is that true? How big was he, what other lifts did he have and how did he train (HIT?)?
~

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »
I don't think many men could outlift Reg Park or Marvin Eder, and they were 100% drug free. Both were reportedly capable of 500 lb bench presses, 405 lb bent over rows, 100 lb seated dumbbell curls, and overhead presses with 315 lb. I saw a video of Park benching 450 on an old-fashioned bench that didn't even have a rack for the weights.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

fonz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 03:04:08 PM »
this guy although not famous but man hes strong i mean unhuman and unbelievably super strong........
he benches682 pounds and squats and deadlifts more than 900...........there's guys out there not that well known who are really very strong!!!!!!!!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »
Hey onlyme, I read Ray M eventually surpassed his brothers level of size in the 80s. Is that true? How big was he, what other lifts did he have and how did he train (HIT?)?

I actually only met Mike once maybe twice.  And it wasn't during when he was big.  It was when he lived in the streets.  SO I have no idea.  But I think Ray was bigger than Mike anyway.  WHen we were training in 85 & 86 Ray weighed about 280 to 290.  He had unreal huge legs and his triceps were just ridiculous.  He trained others in the gym differently than how we trained, as far as I know.  We did what he called the Russian Strength workout.  And we also didn't do this all the time and I didn't train everyday with him.  Sometimes he was busy or I had something else I wanted to do.  The thing I did like about Ray was sometime he would either call me or come over and make me train.  Even when I didn't want to.  Rays gym (Muscle Mill) was a great place to train.  Benny Podda was there all the time too.

Another thing I forgot to mention was how awesome it was to watch Platz train legs.  In fact I don't remember ever seeing him train anything else.  maybe just the timing.  He would go to failure where these two guys would literally hold him up and carry him to the bench between sets.  And a smuch as I don't Chris Dickerson, I will never forget how much abs he did before the Olympia cause he came in 40 pounds over weight.  He would 30 minutes or of twists and then do hundreds of situps.  But allot of twists.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »
No way did Ray do that much onlyme!!!!! ::) ::) ::)
just push some weight!

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »
this guy although not famous but man hes strong i mean unhuman and unbelievably super strong........
he benches682 pounds and squats and deadlifts more than 900...........there's guys out there not that well known who are really very strong!!!!!!!!!

I think you are mistaken.  I might believe the bench especially if it is with a shirt but he does not deadlift over 900 lbs or he is the best kept secret in the strength world.
w

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 04:51:41 PM »
No way did Ray do that much onlyme!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Okay big guy ::)

Miss Karen

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 04:54:55 PM »
Fux came down from the swiss mountains,dude was a strong Mutha up with others mentioned.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 05:02:40 PM »
Okay big guy ::)

My bad when did you and Shawn Ray become an item again?
just push some weight!

body88

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 05:04:27 PM »
Viator is one of my favorite bb's. Looks like a huge trucker lol. Guy was a genetic mutant.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 05:04:53 PM »
Keith, did you actually see Ray squat with 900+ lbs?
w