Author Topic: History of Bodybuilding ..... Submit it here.  (Read 2882 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
History of Bodybuilding ..... Submit it here.
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:19 PM »
Some of the oldtimes on this board and other boards like it have enough detailed information in their minds about the sport of bodybuilding and have never had the opportunity to write it down.

That information could be lost to prosperity unless someone makes an attempt to get it recorded.

This is my attempt to get that done, so if you have factual information about the early days, I ask that you submit it here before you forget or head on to Greener Pastures.

I hope that we can keep this somewhat organized and start with the period from 1900 through 1950 and identify your submission as a FACT (F) or otherwise.

Once that period is exhausted, we can take on the 50+ years from 1951 - 2007.

I'll start this off in the hopes of setting up some kind of submission format which I invite all to follow in an effort to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible.
________________________ ________________________ ____

(FACT as I remember it from reading original 1920's "Physical Culture" publications).

A magazine called "Physical Culture" was published by Bernarr McFadden (Health Enthusiist) in the 1920's and he promoted a "World's Most Perfectly Developed Man Contest" which was won by Angelo Siciliano. (Photo submission or an on-stage event?! I don't recall.)

Angelo changed his Italian name to Charles Atlas and the rest of the story is history. Every kid who ever read a comic book was introduced to bodybuilding, ordered bodybuilding courses, did isometric contractions like some lion in a cage that Mr Atlas apparently studied, became bullies themselves  eventually, and kicked sand in other skinny guys' faces. (A phenominal circular sales campaign).

Meanwhile Mr. McFadden continued with his Physical Culture publication advertising kettlebells, electrical stimulators, and the mysterious Violet Ray machine. In my mind, he was the guy who started it all.

Jump a few years foreward to York, Pennsylania.

Not a fact, but heard from a reliable source who resides in the area and keeps track of this sort of stuff. A great Olympic Lifter, Power Lifter, and Mr. 3rd Place in just about every BB contest he ever entered. A phenominal coach in all three events who helped at least four (4) competitive bodybuilders reach the professional level and more lifters than I can count to excell at the Nationals. If there are any mistakes with this submission, I take full responsibility because I am always laughing too much whenever he tells these stories. Few free to correct me if I err.)

There is a company in Pennsylvania that make reliable and worthwhile heaters. It is called York Heaters. They use lots of iron to make these heaters and that means that there is a lot of scrap iron left over once the heaters are complete. Hence - York Barbell and Bob Hoffman and the world's best Olympic Lifting Team for many years and a major part of bodybuilding history.
________________________ ________

How does this all tie together with the sport of bodybuilding as we know it today? What does Mr. McFadden and Mr. Hoffman and other names that will be coming up have to do with it.

Stand by because it all ties together as if it was previously and thoroughly planned - A big game that many individuals played, but only one ends up takeing home all the marbles.

You probably know who that marble guy is but how he got there should be very interesting.

Hopefully some of you GetBiggers can pitch in and help out with this general time period before heading into later dates or possibly even Greener Pastures.

Thanks

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: History of Bodybuilding ..... Submit it here.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 03:27:19 AM »
hey stunt, i'm waiting for an update!  ;D ;D

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:55:55 AM »
I probably should not post here because I do not plan to continue posting in this thread- my time is limited these days to my forum, but, you asked for corrections:

Sandow needs more credit for beginning bodybuilding than does Bernarr.

Bernarr ran a physique contest, the finals of which were held from Dec 28, 1903 to Jan 2, 1904- much earlier than the event Atlas won.

The Atlas system, at least as I understand it, did not employ isometrics (pushing or pulling without movement) but working, in motion, one bodypart against another.

The information will not be lost to prosperity- it is being preserved in sites such as Ironage.us, and my site in very great detail and with references, and of course at the U of Texas at Austin via the Todd-McLean Collection.

The company was called York Oil Burners, not York Heaters.

For those wanting to read more:
David Webster's text 'Bodybuilding, An Illustrated History' offers a fine overview of this subject. David Chapman's excellent, and recently revised book on Sandow is THE word on Eugen. David P. Willoughby's 'The Super Athletes', while mostly about lifting, offers some bodybuilding info.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:27:36 PM »
Joe, thanks for the corrections and input. I've been off-base for a while and will be taking off again shortly, but I do intend to add some more stuff here and hope that it will draw more input/corrections similar to Joe's.

Joe, that "York Furnace" name was given to me by a good friend and fellow Olympic/Powerlifter who lived close to the York area so that info will be of interest to him. He loves accuracy so it will be interesting to hear his reaction upon correcting him.

Thanks again, Joe.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:30:03 AM »
Perhaps the York Furnace was an aspect of the York business I was unaware of- lots of details that escape my greying grey matter. :)