Author Topic: World Gym closing  (Read 7210 times)

msbarbelle

• Getbig II
Re: World Gym closing
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »
planet fitness is for sissies, no "big boys" in there. not good.  :'(

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 01:44:42 PM »
Gold's Gym is pretty cool, I like it
X

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 01:45:46 PM »
dont steal the mans thunder max  >:( hes omish and he has to sneak away to listen to the radio ;D

;D ;D
a

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 01:51:37 PM »
My home gym sounds better by the day (which I have officially named "The Construction Zone" complete with mock road sign).  The rules:

1.  Grunt and scream as needed (since no one can hear you);

2.  Feel free to sweat all over the equipment (since no one else uses it);

3.  No minimum time on the equipment;

4.  Loud music of your choice entirely permitted; and

5.  All profits go to equipment upgrades.

Miss Karen

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 01:57:07 PM »
These family shit gyms are just that shit.Simple don't join them.I hope they all go Broke.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 01:58:02 PM »
Gold's Gym is opened 24 hours.  go off peak and do your worst!
X

Slick Vic

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 03:07:59 PM »
The dumbells in Planet Fitness peak at 60Ib's.

The Santa Monica gym could close as early as thanksgiving - lets hope not.

Peak at 60lbs.!?!?!? Geezus, are you kidding me? Actually, at that gym, it shouldn't come as a surprise.  ::)

You mean the World Gym in Marina del Rey is closing its doors?  :'(

Mr Gethin

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 04:51:53 PM »
changing the name on the front of the building is not the same as closing it

No, they are actually closing it - the building has been sold. They may relocate to Glencoe avenue in M.D.R where the old Angel City Fitness was.
Deputy Editor

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »
Peak at 60lbs.!?!?!? Geezus, are you kidding me? Actually, at that gym, it shouldn't come as a surprise.  ::)

You mean the World Gym in Marina del Rey is closing its doors?  :'(
The Marina del ray building was definitely on the market...

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2006, 05:00:12 PM »
I have some questions about this one....

World Gym is a franchise.

The Planet Fitness dudes can't have bought the entire chain because every gym is owned by different people so they can only have bought the name world gym (and maybe the flagship gym in MDR from mike uretz) and expect the gyms to change over to planet fitness.

The thing is... since they don't own these other world gyms what is gonna stop these other world gyms -some of which are massive setups totally different than the planet fitness business model - from simply dropping out of the franchise and going as a golds/powerhouse or simply being independant?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 05:18:24 PM »
A World gym opened in my area about a year ago and it was a joke! They had minimal equipment and DBs up to 75lbs LOL  The place closed down in less than a year and was bought by a local chain in this area.....they turned it into an express type gym, which is what it was anyhow at best.

Just cause it says World, Powerhouse or Golds does not mean its good or hardcore.  Hardcore gyms are dead....no market, the best gyms find a balance.  Besides hardcore comes from within, no gym can make you hardcore.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was lucky enough to meet Joe Gold @ world in Venice.  THis sucks.

JOE WAS A GREAT GUY...STILL MISS HIM.AND HIS GREAT STORIES WE HAD ALOT OF GOOD TIMES...BUT I HAVE HIS DOG TO KEEP ME COMPANY AND DO CARDIO WITH.

rjp

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 05:34:15 PM »
I have some questions about this one....

World Gym is a franchise.

The Planet Fitness dudes can't have bought the entire chain because every gym is owned by different people so they can only have bought the name world gym (and maybe the flagship gym in MDR from mike uretz) and expect the gyms to change over to planet fitness.

The thing is... since they don't own these other world gyms what is gonna stop these other world gyms -some of which are massive setups totally different than the planet fitness business model - from simply dropping out of the franchise and going as a golds/powerhouse or simply being independant?

Planet Fitness bought the whole franchise...every gym. As part of the new franchise, the franchisees will be able to operate as World Gym. Planet fitness is essentially creating two divisions. However, should the World Gym Franchees seek to switch to a Planet Fitness franchise, they'll be allowed to do so.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2006, 05:58:37 PM »
At the Gold's I worked at, the owners stressed to me that they are trying to do away with the Gold's "bodybuilding gym" and turn it into a more family friendly gym.  It was all about getting more cash through the door.  I thought it was crap.

My friends, the Montanari's owns a Gold's gym in New Haven, CT and they are hurting. Places like Planet Fitness are killing Gold's and World gym's in the northeast. The franchise fees are too steep.
The House that Ruth built

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2006, 06:06:29 PM »

..they will then start tightening up on the "gymrats" and hardcore mentality folks (like us).  We will get tired and complain that their arent anymore "hardcore" gyms left.  We will leave and wander the desert in search of our new Mecca........

Look no further..  I will never sell out to any cry baby members!   "oh my, this music is too loud"   "Oh dear, he said a bad word"   I really hate THESE people.. Who cares if they make up a good percentage of the members.. If you don't like it, then go to "planet Fitness"  My dumbbells go up to 375 pounds and you gotta grunt to lift them..  If you heard the loud music when you signed up then why are you complaining now..  

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006, 06:08:28 PM »

So every single world gym owner agreed to sell their entire business to planet fitness?

That would be a logistical miracle...

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2006, 06:14:14 PM »
I used to belong to the biggest Gold's in New England and the place sucked balls...packed to the brim, not enough equipment etc. etc.

Now I belong to world's and its the complete opposite.  Not too many members for the size of the place, plenty of simple equipment (hammer strength, cybex and nautalus)...I hope it doesn't suck that bad if it changes ownership (i'm locked in for  year!!)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2006, 06:27:16 PM »
Joe Gold opened World Gym partly to provide jobs for Zabo and some other mates of Joe. What are those fellas doing or are they mostly retired from working in that gym?

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 07:21:22 PM »
I used to belong to the biggest Gold's in New England and the place sucked balls...packed to the brim, not enough equipment etc. etc.

Now I belong to world's and its the complete opposite.  Not too many members for the size of the place, plenty of simple equipment (hammer strength, cybex and nautalus)...I hope it doesn't suck that bad if it changes ownership (i'm locked in for  year!!)
ask if they have sold out to the planet fitness owners...

still sounds like they have bought the world gym name and not every single world gym out there because that would cost many many millions and would be nearly impossible to organise - not like world gym can force their franchises to sell they can just drop out and change their names the way bev francis did with golds to powerhouse...

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »
Joe Gold opened World Gym partly to provide jobs for Zabo and some other mates of Joe. What are those fellas doing or are they mostly retired from working in that gym?

ZABO AND EDDIE GULLIANI STILL GO IN THERE AND A FEW OF THE OLD GROUP...ITS GOOD TO SEE THEY ALL LOOKED OUT FOR EACH OTHER AND STAYED FRIENDS UNLIKE TODAYS PROS

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2006, 09:49:20 PM »
Telling you right now.  Temple Gym is going to be the gym to go to.  They have a great marketing plan and over 150 Golds Gyms have already submitted apps.  I heard over 40 World Gym have also.  We have 2 going up here immediately with 7 possible on the other islands. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2006, 10:08:37 PM »
Thanks, Lee. As you know Joe was a great guy and sponsored heaps of guys by letting them train in his gym for free. I have always respected Joe. Jimmy Jones invited me over to a Thankgiving dinner way back in 1968. I remember those acts of kindness to visitors to LA. Zabo said there was no pot of gold for bodybuilders at the end of the rainbow. Arnold made it and one or two others but most haven't made much. Joe told Arnold to do as he did and invest in property. Good advice.

Lee, what is going to happen to the Del Rey World Gym? What happened to that amazing collection of scales in the foyer? Seems to me someone should keep that club going.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2006, 10:10:42 PM »
Thanks, Lee. As you know Joe was a great guy and sponsored heaps of guys by letting them train in his gym for free. I have always respected Joe. Jimmy Jones invited me over to a Thankgiving dinner way back in 1968. I remember those acts of kindness to visitors to LA. Zabo said there was no pot of gold for bodybuilders at the end of the rainbow. Arnold made it and one or two others but most haven't made much. Joe told Arnold to do as he did and invest in property. Good advice.

Lee, what is going to happen to the Del Rey World Gym? What happened to that amazing collection of scales in the foyer? Seems to me someone should keep that club going.

the building there has been sold. someone said they might move this gym elsewhere or just close it...

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2006, 10:14:44 PM »
Work out at home, you whiny bitches.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »
dont steal the mans thunder max  >:( hes omish and he has to sneak away to listen to the radio ;D

I also won't tell him that the story of the guy that got banned has been on every new channel as well as the internet. He was banned for squating 500 pounds NOT deadlifting 405. Planet Fitness does not allow deadlifting or t-bar rows.
and keep moving!