Author Topic: World Gym closing  (Read 7209 times)

Mr Gethin

• Getbig III
World Gym closing
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:52:18 AM »
Yes, the entire World gym franchise has been sold to an east coast franchise called Planet Fitness.
I find it hard to think that it was only within the last 50 years bodybuilders popularized working out. Now today the big business gyms are willing to turn thier back on the fore fathers in an instant.

I heard that a Planet Fitness member recently got banned from one of the clubs for deadlifting 405Ib which caused him to 'grunt'. The dumbells in Planet Fitness peak at 60Ib's.

I will be running a story on this in Kaged Muscle and will keep ypou updated as I hear more.

The Santa Monica gym could close as early as thanksgiving - lets hope not.

-Kris
PS Was speaking with full time minister Aaron Baker yesterday - looking well. I will interview him shortly

kris@kagedmuscle.com
Deputy Editor

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
Re: World Gym closing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:58:24 AM »
Its true they want to make it family friendly,they want everyone to feel comfy cozy..They want the fat and skinny people to be secure when training ,they think the big guys scare them so theses people don't go to the gym. those are the people they are geared towards..

they will fail......
p

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:58:31 AM »
Yes, the entire World gym franchise has been sold to an east coast franchise called Planet Fitness.
I find it hard to think that it was only within the last 50 years bodybuilders popularized working out. Now today the big business gyms are willing to turn thier back on the fore fathers in an instant.

I heard that a Planet Fitness member recently got banned from one of the clubs for deadlifting 405Ib which caused him to 'grunt'. The dumbells in Planet Fitness peak at 60Ib's.

I will be running a story on this in Kaged Muscle and will keep ypou updated as I hear more.

-Kris
PS Was speaking with full time minister Aaron Baker yesterday - looking well. I will interview him shortly

kris@kagedmuscle.com

Oh my goodness, tell me this aint gonna happen. I was about to leave Gold's Gym so that I could join my local World Gym. I guess I'm gonna stick with Gold's After all
Get Big, or Die Trying

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:04:30 AM »

Oh my goodness, tell me this aint gonna happen. I was about to leave Gold's Gym so that I could join my local World Gym. I guess I'm gonna stick with Gold's After all
my friend owns a gym called flex appeal in westchester ny 2 floors 350 month all the same shit as a golds or power house there are alot of gyms out there better or just as good.........
p

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »
Technically, there is no Santa Monica World gym, it's in Marina Del Rey... technically.
a

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 11:22:12 AM »
Planet Fitness is total garbage!

Any serious lifter wants no part of their philosophy.

They actually have a flashing alarm that sounds if weights hit the floor too hard.

I belonged to one right as they really started going downhill. Taking out the squat rack. Having dumbbells only up to 80. Legions of teenage and college-age punks crowding the entire gym.

Run as fast as you can from one of those gyms.

Their philosophy is to pack as many people as they can in, at a very low rate.

Luckily, I found a small, independent gym which has the basics and no crowd.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 11:24:03 AM »
Technically, there is no Santa Monica World gym, it's in Marina Del Rey... technically.
technically who cares its planet please dont make a sound or we will throw you out fitness.....next thing will be no muscle can be showing we dont want to upset out fat members ...
p

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 11:47:25 AM »
the best thing about planet fitness is they serve free pizza every monday

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 11:49:33 AM »
At the Gold's I worked at, the owners stressed to me that they are trying to do away with the Gold's "bodybuilding gym" and turn it into a more family friendly gym.  It was all about getting more cash through the door.  I thought it was crap.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 11:51:35 AM »
I posted this story a week ago.
and keep moving!

Lestat

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 11:55:19 AM »
this is terrible news :(  It was inevitable once Bob Gold died though.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »
I posted this story a week ago.
dont steal the mans thunder max  >:( hes omish and he has to sneak away to listen to the radio ;D
p

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 12:07:19 PM »
well, it's hard to find any decent hardcore gym these days. There is a STATE OF THE ART gym that just opened in my area. They have every freaking machine you can think of, if you go to their weight room area, the heaviest dumbells is 90lbs ;D. but everybody in town love that gym, I was shocked cause they charge you $70 a month for basic membership. I'd rather do pushup for the rest of my life than to join these social clubs
Get Big, or Die Trying

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »

changing the name on the front of the building is not the same as closing it.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
IN this case it might as well be lets say you just joined the gym and planet fitness takes over..as a hard trainer you will make noise grunt whatever then what you don't conform to there pussy izod wearing rules your out..
p

RHINO290

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »

-Kris

kris@kagedmuscle.com

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was lucky enough to meet Joe Gold @ world in Venice.  THis sucks.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 12:49:08 PM »
Basic economics guys...nothing to worry about.  As mega-corps buy each other out to create a homogenized "family" workout (haha, like anybody I know wants to workout with their family!) they will create a vacuum for serious "gymrats" who want something else from their workout.  Supply and demand guys. 
Once the demand is great enough guys like you or I  will create the kind of gym we and others like us want.  If the concept is popular enough we will open several gyms and grow across the country.
After a few years somebody like Planet Fitness will come by and offer us millions and millions of dollars for majority control of our little empire.  We will of course accept it because its MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars.
The guys who buy it will decide that to recoup their investment they need to up their memberships right away.  They will look to the fattened american obese family with lots of discposable income and young single working women with insecurities and decide thats the market to grow in.  They will feel the need to make the new prospects as comfortable as possible...they will then start tightening up on the "gymrats" and hardcore mentality folks (like us).  We will get tired and complain that their arent anymore "hardcore" gyms left.  We will leave and wander the desert in search of our new Mecca........

Supply and demand rears its ugly head again. 

Once the demand is greast enough guys like you or I  will create the kind of gym we and others like us want.  If the concept is popular enough we will open several gyms and grow across the country.
After a few years somebody like Planet Fitness will come by and offer us millions and millions of dollars for majority control of our little empire.  We will of course accept it because its MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars.
The guys who buy it will decide that to recoup their investment they need to up their memberships right away.  They will look to the fattened american obese family with lots of discposable income and young single working women with insecurities and decide that the market to grow in.  They will feel the need to make the new prospects as comfortable as possible...they will then start tightening up on the "gymrats" and hardcore mentality folks (like us).  We will get tired and complain that their arent anymore "hardcore" gyms left.   We will wander the desert in search of our new mecca...........

Once the demand is great enough guys like you or I  will create the kind of gym we and others like us want.  If the concept is popular enough we will open several gyms and grow across the country.
The guys who buy it will decide that to recoup their investment they need to up their memberships right away.  They will look to the fattened american obese family with lots of discposable income and young single working women with insecurities and decide thats the market to grow in.  They will feel the need to make the new prospects as comfortable as possible...they will then start tightening up on the "gymrats" and hardcore mentality folks (like us).  We will get tired and complain that their arent anymore "hardcore" gyms left.  We will leave and wander the desert in search of our new Mecca........

ETC.ETC.ETC......

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 12:51:31 PM »
Basic economics guys...nothing to worry about.  As mega-corps buy each other out to create a homogenized "family" workout (haha, like anybody I know wants to workout with their family!) they will create a vacuum for serious "gymrats" who want something else from their workout.  Supply and demand guys. 

Supply and demand rears its ugly head again. 

Once the demand is greast enough guys like you or I  will create the kind of gym we and others like us want.  If the concept is popular enough we will open several gyms and grow across the country.
The guys who buy it will decide that to recoup their investment they need to up their memberships right away.  They will look to the fattened american obese family with lots of discposable income and young single working women with insecurities and decide that the market to grow in.  They will feel the need to make the new prospects as comfortable as possible...they will then start tightening up on the "gymrats" and hardcore mentality folks (like us).  We will get tired and complain that their arent anymore "hardcore" gyms left.   We will wander the desert in search of our new mecca...........

ETC.ETC.ETC......

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

way more info than whats needed just say....
THAT SUCKS
and move on...
p

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »

Might as well be! Have you not heard of the lunk alarm?

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 01:12:55 PM »
great post, voice of doom
X

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 01:13:21 PM »
after all, they're in this bussiness for the money, right?
Get Big, or Die Trying

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 01:22:38 PM »
after all, they're in this bussiness for the money, right?

So, I'm in it to get big

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »
great post, voice of doom
Again your in the wrong thread ;D
p

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 01:30:16 PM »
I go to Gold's Gym, not world gym
X

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 01:30:52 PM »
Are they closing Global Gym and just making them Average Joes ?
The Number 2 in Scranton