Author Topic: No Can Smoke  (Read 1020 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
No Can Smoke
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »
As of 16 Nov. in Hawaii, smoking will be banned in all places of employment, enclosed or partially enclosed public areas, and within 20 feet of building entrances, exits, open windows or air intakes.  Hawaii will join other states like California and New York with strict smoking pans.

Pacific Business News

Affected areas include restaurants and bars, malls, stores, nightclubs, airports, convention centers, stadiums, etc. 

;D

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
Re: No Can Smoke
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 01:16:13 PM »
It was done in RI about 2 years ago.  Good law for non smokers.  You don't have to smell like an ashtray every time you go out for a drink or to eat.  Some bitch, but the laws the law.  After a while you get used to it like any other law.  I wish it was in effect when I owned a cafe.  I had to make it no smoking, because it was so small and some of the things people used to say were totally uncalled for.  The blanked law takes it out of the owners hands, which is a good thing, no sides.  Smokers, tuff sh it.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:54:41 AM »
Looking back to when smoking was permitted on airplanes you just have to ask "What on earth were we thinking"?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:03:23 AM »
I'll never completely understand why we even permit the tobacco industry to produce and sell a product that kills people, AND even subsidize tobacco farmers.  Anyone trying to sell some of the carcinogens in cigarettes for consumption would be locked up.    

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 11:11:59 AM »
MONEY! Why else? Tobacco farmers were around from the beginning. It's big business with lobbyists.

I'm sure if Pablo Escobar was around back in the day... the Medellin cartel would be right up there with Merck & Pfizer, and cocaine would be in every corner convenience store.
w

Puller

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 11:17:31 AM »
They banned it indoors in CT but i wish they would ban it 20ft from doorways. Whats the point if I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in and out of the building. And everytime the door opens all the smoke flies right in. I used to smoke 3-4 packs a day and I quit after seeing several family members pass from lung cancer. I can't wait until it's illegal. It prolly won;t happenin my lifetime but one day we will smartin up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
I know money is the primary reason.  Still, you would think with the billions we spend on health care and with the hundreds of thousands of people who die each year from diseases caused by a product that is used as intended would cause us to, at a minimum, stop subsidizing the industry.  It's nuts. 

It's a shame our politicians allow money to drive most of their policy decisions.  I recall reading that the average smoker starts when they are younger than 13 and that if they don't start by their teens, or younger, that odds are they will not smoke.  This means tobacco companies know the only way they stay in business is to hook kids.  That's why we had "Joe Camel."  I remember driving down the road on the mainland and my young daughter pointing out the camel on a giant billboard smoking a cigarette.  I told her the camel was going to wind up in the camel hospital and then the camel cemetery. 

I'll stop here before I go on a very long anti-tobacco company rant. . . .  :)

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:36:07 AM »
They banned it indoors in CT but i wish they would ban it 20ft from doorways. Whats the point if I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in and out of the building. And everytime the door opens all the smoke flies right in. I used to smoke 3-4 packs a day and I quit after seeing several family members pass from lung cancer. I can't wait until it's illegal. It prolly won;t happenin my lifetime but one day we will smartin up.

I'd rather walk through the cloud than have someone at the next table lighting up when I'm not even done eating yet.  I haven't allowed people to smoke in my house since 1990.  Even my wife has to go outside to light up.  Still some visitors don't even ask and just pull out a but, but before they can light it I slap it right out of their mouth saying Hay WTF!  Do that at your home, not mine.  It's funny how 10 years it wasn't an issue and we'd all just smell like an ashtray after going out for a drink.  I used to own a cafe and had to take sides, which sucked.   With this law it takes the hassell out of the owner and into the law.  A good and over due law for a change.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »
I know money is the primary reason.  Still, you would think with the billions we spend on health care and with the hundreds of thousands of people who die each year from diseases caused by a product that is used as intended would cause us to, at a minimum, stop subsidizing the industry.  It's nuts. 

It's a shame our politicians allow money to drive most of their policy decisions.  I recall reading that the average smoker starts when they under younger than 13 and that if they don't start by their teens, or younger, that odds are they will not smoke.  This means tobacco companies know the only way they stay in business is to hook kids.  That's why we had "Joe Camel."  I remember driving down the road on the mainland and my young daughter pointing out the camel on a giant billboard smoking a cigarette.  I told her the camel was going to wind up in the camel hospital and then the camel cemetery. 

I'll stop here before I go on a very long anti-tobacco company rant. . . .  :)

lol at the camel cemetery. that's a good way to get to kids.  better get our ad agency on that one.

don't blame  just the the tobacco companies . . . nicotine has effects that encourage dependency, and oral fixations are very real . . . dragging on a cigarette also has a calming effect (same as taking deep breaths).

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 02:12:01 PM »
lol at the camel cemetery. that's a good way to get to kids.  better get our ad agency on that one.

don't blame  just the the tobacco companies . . . nicotine has effects that encourage dependency, and oral fixations are very real . . . dragging on a cigarette also has a calming effect (same as taking deep breaths).

It's not the dependency and calming effects that bother me.  It's the carcinogens they market and sell to kids and adults, with our government's help. 

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 01:57:53 AM »
It's a nasty dirty filthy habit!!  ;D